Northern Trust Open

P-BoxNation

Can't do the time? don't do the crime
Northern Trust Open

Riviera Country Club · Pacific Palisades, Calif.

+3,250

For the Tourney :

Just 1 bet this week for the tourney. Trying to manage the money.

MIKE WEIR over GEOFF OGILVY -130 $500

:cheers::cheers: :popcorn:

Last edited:
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]The Tuna lowdown....[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]The Northern Trust Open, formerly the L.A. Open, is one of the longest running tournaments on tour at a legendary course played by Hogan, Snead, Palmer, and Nicklaus, namely, Riviera Country Club. Riviera is a mix and match of design styles rolled into one 18-hole tract. Long par 4s (e.g. #18) and drivable Par 4s (#10; Jack Nicklaus' favorite short Par 4 in the world); Short Par 5s (e.g. #1; one of the most eagled holes on tour every year) and long Par 5s (#17; 600+ yds and almost no one can reach in 2 shots); Short / intricate Par 3s and long Par 3s; Deep / huge bunkers and small finger-like bunkers; Small greens and huge greens; Huge trees and eucalyptus trees; 500-yard+ straight holes and dog-leg Par 4s w/ double fairways. A little bit of everything make this course one of a kind, just like L.A.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]One extremely unique design feature of Riviera is the type of grass and rough you see across areas of the course and around many greens, "kikuyagrass". A Kikuygrass, "kikuya" for short, is a grass originally seen on courses in South Africa and Australia which has been brought into certain areas in Southern California due to its toughness and ability to survive w/ less water. To quote a turf expert w/ the USGA: "It has that thick, above-ground stem and the wider leaf blade. It has a very, thick flushy stolon that will tend to grab the club if it's not mowed {i.e. rough} or managed properly. Just because the leaves are wider and the way it grows on the surface, you can tend to get some unpredictable bounce and roll from the golf ball. When it's very lush and actively growing, it will tend to be like Velcro under soft conditions." Therefore, South Africans (Els, Goosen, Sabbatini) and Australians (Allenby, Appleby, A. Price, Scott, Baddeley) will generally have an easier time dealing with this sticky and course-bladed grass when chipping and pitching around greens, as well players w/ great short games and soft hands around the green (Mickelson, Pavin, Els, Verplank, etc.).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]There are also certain players that you just always think about when you think about this course and tourney: Phil Mickelson (1st and 2nd place the last 2 years), Steve Elkington (PGA champ here in the late 90s), Cocaine Corey Pavin (the "Bulldog" from his days at UCLA), Ernie Els (big hitter w/ a great short game), Chares Howell, III (1st win was here in 2007; runner-up in 2003; never missed cut here), Rocco Mediate (seven top-20 finishes in 16 starts here), Fred Couples (an L.A. kind of guy), Robert Allenby (win in 2001; 3 top tens in the last 4 years here) and the other South Africans / Australians (see above). Just count on odds to reflect this. Typically, this course and tourney will favor the seasoned veterans versus the rookies and young players. It will also generally favor big hitters versus precision players. With that being said, creative short games are always of a premium here.[/FONT]

Good stuff Tuna. I am entering sniper mode to the fullest now in days. Really close match up between Weir and Ogilvy, but my gut is just loving Weir for some reason. Mainly his nice finish last week is still in my mind, but for some other reason he just is really sticking out for me in this tourney. Hopefully will be able to put some roundly bets in this week.

Had a feeling this would be a play...on Weir...obvious great history and great form right now...

Tourney Bets--2 Units Each

Mickleson -115 vs Harrington
Els +100 vs Furyk
Allenby -115 vs Goosen
Appleby -105 vs Immelman
Verplank -110 vs Snedeker
Sabbatini +100 vs Tim Clark
Howell -105 vs Immelman
Romero -105 vs Your Boy Cabrera
Pavin -110 vs Berganio

Same bets for the 1st round--2 units each

Good luck to us. Tailing you on Mr. Weir as well for 2 units.

:10_4_6:

My plays:

Donald -144 vs Singh 5 units
Weir -135 vs Ogilvy 3 units
Choi -130 vs Campbell 2 units
Goggin -115 vs Petersson 3 units
Donald -135 vs Goosen 2 units
Wi -135 vs Maruyama 2 units
Allenby -115 vs Goosen 2 units
Verplank -110 vs Snedeker 2 units
Baddeley -140 vs Rose 1 unit

just realized that we had a golf section in our forums :cheers:
well i'll be around more that's for sure...just so you guys know alittle about me i'm more in the hockey/baseball of this forum...but when it summer time in Toronto i live and die on te golf course. also work for a private club out here in Toronto for the greens department during the summer and i'm in uni when i'm not working:tiphat:

I won't say who i played till the first round matchup itself is over, but i'm glad i found this place

cheeers

gsro

My buddy out in LA is following hefty lefty around the course throughout the tourney. Already getting some funny texts.

The Japanese youngster is one over thru 6 or 7...

Should be able to catch him a bit when coverage comes on.

Lefty birdies 3 and 4 to get to 7 under

Dustin Johnson Strong again at 5 under

Paddy 2 over

My plays:

Donald -144 vs Singh 5 units WINNER
Weir -135 vs Ogilvy 3 units LOSER
Choi -130 vs Campbell 2 units WINNER
Goggin -115 vs Petersson 3 units LOSER
Donald -135 vs Goosen 2 units WINNER
Wi -135 vs Maruyama 2 units WINNER
Allenby -115 vs Goosen 2 units WINNER
Verplank -110 vs Snedeker 2 units WINNER
Baddeley -140 vs Rose 1 unit PUSH

6-2 ~+7.5 units

If Weir would'nt have fucked up today while Ogily melted down, would've been a great tournament! Bastard.

Good job TBone.

Yea, I saw Ogilvy's score yesterday and got excited, then I scrolled down and saw Weir had shit the bed too.

I also thought Els was a sure W up 5 stokes over Furyk with only a few holes left on the back 9 yesterday--then Furyk goes out 15-18 with birdie, birdie, par, birdie and Els bogied 12, 14, and 15. My first golf Moose.

7-3 for the tourney; 2-6-1 in the first round; 9-9 overall--juiced out around .75 units.

Damn Weir, oh well. Can't wait for this week's play. Tons of awesome match-ups and of course the one and only is back also. Should be an awesome week.

Back