Northern Trust Discussion

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Went 4-1 last week, with only the Sergio fade failing. Always nice to back a guy who opens with a 59.

First week of the FedEx Cup Playoffs. Playing at Ridgewood CC which also hosted in 2010 and 2014, called the Barclay's back then. Golfers who qualified but aren't in the field: Rory, Fowler, Stenson, Patrick Rodgers and Bud Cauley. Fowler, Stenson and Cauley are all recovering from injury, Rory is resting and Rodgers is getting married. Presumably, Fowler, Stenson and Rory will be back next week.

Haven't dived into the matchups yet, but have done a little research for my one and done pool. 4 events left and I'm on the cusp of being in the money, something I've never done. I may have mismanaged my players a bit, as I have more good players left than tournaments. Would appreciate any thoughts, but here is who I have left for the last 4: Rahm, Spieth, Fowler, Reed, Hideki, Paul Casey, Molinari, Xander, Bryson, Snedeker, and a few others. My initial plan is to use Rahm, Rickie, Reed, Spieth as my 4, with the possibility of Paul Casey given his excellence during the playoffs the last 4 years. Can't discount someone catching a heater though, and depending where I am after an event or 2, may have to swing for the fences to make up some ground.

Northern Trust high odds "cats & dogs" [bet/return]

Byeoun-Hun An 100-1 (5/505) T-2nd Canadian [-20] T-2nd Memorial [-15] playoff
Stewart Cink 100-1 (5/505) T-4th PGA [-11] T-2nd Travelers [-14]
CT Pan 125-1 (4/504) T-2nd Wyndham [-18]
Russell Knox 125-1 (4/504) T-2nd Open de France [-6] WIN Irish Open [-14] playoff
Aaron Wise 150-1 (3.35/505.85) WIN Byron Nelson [-23] T-6th Bridgestone [-8]
Abraham Ancer 150-1 (3.35/505.85) solo 5th Canadian [-17] T-4th National [-11]
Si Woo Kim* 150-1 (3.35/505.85) solo 2nd RBC Heritage [-12] playoff T-10th Bridgestone [-7]
Ryan Armour 200-1 (2.50/502.50) T-8th Wyndham [-15] solo 2nd National [-13] WIN Sanderson Farms [-19]
Michael Kim* 200-1 (2.50/502.50) WIN John Deere [-27]
Andrew Landry 250-1 (2/502) ) WIN Valero [-17]
Whee Kim* 250-1 (2/502) T-2nd Canadian [-20]
Troy Merritt 250-1 (2/502) WIN Barbasol [-23]
Satoshi Kodaira 300-1 (2/602) WIN RBC Heritage [-12] playoff
Kelly Kraft 300-1 (2/602) solo 2nd Greenbrier [-14]

*getting me a little "kimchi" this week :)

still looking at tourney match plays :shake:

Last edited:
Rickie has partially torn oblique. Not even playing this week. That's a 4-6 week injury. Molinari HAS HAS HAS to be in your final four. Love how the course sets up for him and Spieth this week.

Rickie has partially torn oblique. Not even playing this week. That's a 4-6 week injury. Molinari HAS HAS HAS to be in your final four. Love how the course sets up for him and Spieth this week.

also NO Henrik Stenson (elbow injury) this week either. AND Rory McIlroy passing on this 1st round. Brooks Koepka "hot as Chinese mustard" with his WIN @ PGA and solo 5th @ Bridgestone. I THINK the geezer Stewart Cink could surprise this week @ 100-1 with his tied 4th PGA and earlier tied 2nd Travelers :)

Last edited:
selected just three tourney match plays this week (bet/return)

Brandt Snedeker +120 over Hideki Matsuyama (50/110)

Brandt Snedeker: WIN Wyndham [-21] T-42nd PGA [-3] T-8th Canadian [-15] CUT British Open T-3rd Greenbrier [-13] CUT Travelers T-48th US Open [+16]
Hideki Matsuyama: T-11th Wyndham [-14] T-35th PGA [-4] T-39th Bridgestone [+1] CUT British Open CUT Scottish Open T-16th US Open [+10]

Xander Schauffele +115 over Louis Oosthuizen (44/94.60)

Xander Schauffele: T35th PGA [-4] T-68th Bridgestone [+12] T-2nd British Open [-6] T-21st Greenbrier [-8] CUT Travelers T-6th US Open [+6] CUT Memorial T-2nd Players [-14]
Louis Oosthuizen: T-24th Bridgestone [-3] T-28th British Open [even] T-16th US Open [+10] T-13th Memorial [-10] CUT Players

Brooks Koepka +145 over Dustin Johnson (40/98)

Brooks Koepka: WIN PGA [-16] solo 5th Bridgestone [-9] CUT Canadian Open T-39th British Open [+2] T-19th Travelers [+2] WIN US Open [+1]
Dustin Johnson: T-27th PGA [-6] T-3rd Bridgestone [-10] WIN Canadian Open [-23] CUT British Open solo 3rd US Open [+3]
note: Brooks #3 in Fed Ex points with 2,012 trying to chase down Justin Thomas with 2,634 and Dustin with
2,717. he is 705 behind Dustin :pray:

Last edited:

The more I thought about it, the more I agree that Rickie likely to be the odd man out for me. At this point, how motivated is he to perform well in the playoffs, vs getting as healthy as possible for the Ryder Cup?

Heard someone on a podcast yesterday say that the common denominator between the players that did well at this course in the past is that they putted very well. Spieth was really close to the top in SG: putting at the PGA I think. Molinari isn't a great putter, but he gives himself enough 15 footers for birdie with his ball striking. Snedeker could also continue his run. He sounded pretty pumped about getting back on the course after his win. I don't think he will necessarily bask in his win like a first time winner would. And he's won the Cup before. Lot to like there

Tournament matchups:

Webb -125 vs Fleetwood
Snedeker +115 vs Hideki
Kuchar +140 vs Finau
Day -125 vs Tiger
Poulter -120 vs Phil
Xander +110 vs Oosthuizen

Webb is having a low key great season. #7 in points list, 12th in SG:putting, just having a monster year. I kind of covered Snedeker above, but I think he could possibly play his way onto the RC team, so the motivation is there. Hideki has just been off all year, and has never made much noise in the playoffs. Kuchar won on this course in 2010, and T5 in 2014. I think he may already be on the RC team, but there's that too. Day has a T2 here in 2014 and T5 in 2010. Best putter on PGA tour. I think he wins this week. Gonna fade Phil until the RC. Oosthuizen with a mysterious WD at PGA, always a threat to WD.

WITH you on "X" and Snedeker. "Kooch" @ +140 looks high at South Point BUT I think Tiger could WIN this week. the man has had a golfing "epiphany" :shake:

"tack on" favorites "to win" (bet/return)
Brooks Koepka 14-1 (35/525) WIN PGA [-16] solo 5th Bridgestone [-9] WIN US Open [+1]
Tiger Woods 16-1 (30/510) solo 2nd PGA [-14] final round [-6] T-6th British Open [-5]
Jon Rahm 20-1 (25/525) T-4th PGA [-11] T-17th Bridgestone [-5] CUT British Open T-4th Irish Open [-12] T-5th Open de France [-5] CUT US Open WIN Open de Espana [-20]
Francesco Molinari 22-1 (23/529) T-6th PGA [-10] T-39th Bridgestone [+1] WIN British Open [-8] T-2nd John Deere [-19] WIN National [-21] solo 2nd Italian Open [-21] WIN BMW PGA [-17]
Webb Simpson 30-1 (16/496) T-2nd Wyndham [-18] final round [-8] WIN Players [-18]
Tommy Fleetwood 33-1 (15/510) T-14th Bridgestone [-6] T-12th British Open [-3] solo 2nd US Open [+2] final round [-7]
Brandt Snedeker 40-1 (12/492) WIN Wyndham [-21] 1st round [-11] T-3rd Greenbrier [-13] final round [-6]
Alex Noren 65-1 (8/528) WIN Open de France [-7] T-3rd BMW PGA [-14]
Tyrrell Hatton 70-1 (7/497) T-10th PGA [-9] T-9th Scottish Open [-13] T-6th US Open [+6]

I normally do NOT bet players less than 20-1 BUT I think this week either Brooks OR Tiger have a VERY good chance to WIN with their recent performance :shake:

Last edited:
Does anyone have an update on Paul Casey's possible injury status? I believe he's been battling back issues. Reed +120 is enticing...

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/81664/393/expert-picks-northern-trust?pg=3 found their Euro Tour picks interesting. I played Haydn Porteous 40-1 and Andrea Pavan 50-1 off their Nordia performance last week. also the German Max Kieffer 50-1 off his final round [-5] to get solo 3rd @ Nordia [-13] just one short of the playoff

still staying away from my man Matt "WALL-E" Wallace with his four CUTS after his BMW International WIN and prior to the PGA :nonofinger:

Damn, Snedeker with the late WD. Since he didn't tee off before WD, does it just void the bet? I can't remember

If the player did not tee off then it should be a voided wager. Atleast that has been my experience in the past.

Damn, Snedeker with the late WD. Since he didn't tee off before WD, does it just void the bet? I can't remember

I had a "too win" bet on him @ Cantor Gaming AND a match play vs Matsuyama at Westgate. BOTH say IF he did NOT tee off it is a refund. just as well because "samarui golfer" with an opening [-4] tied for 4th :(

GOD DAMN John Rahm!!! a 7 bogie 3 birdie [+4] first round ??? REALLY ??? I thought he had "straightened his PUTZ" after his tied 4th @ the PGA. AND the guy he ties with @ Bellerive Stewart Cink with an even WORSE 2 double, 6 bogie 3 birdie [+7]

the leaders kind of "WHO Let the DOG'S OUT" ??? with Jamie Lovemark, Vaughn Taylor, Sean O'Hair and Kevin Tway (WHO ???) @ [-5] followed by 13 players @ [-4] including Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Tommy Fleetwood, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Paul Casey and Hideki Matsuyama. freeking Tiger Woods with a pedestrian 2 birdie 2 bogie [even] to open :mad:

Last edited:
These playoffs need to be no more than three weeks, this tournament is a tosser. I don't know anyone talking about it, caring about it, and all it does is water down this "great" east coast playoff that's already in place with another east coast event. Wake up, half the players are done.

Shorten it, this should be the last chance dance that last week was

Brooks Koepka 2nd round [-6] tied 1st with Jamie Lovemark [-5] both @ [-10] Adam Scott solo 3rd [-7] for [-9]. the guy has had a golfing "epiphany" with his solo 3rd @ PGA [-13]. Dustin Johnson and DeChambeau tied 4th [-8] with five tied 6th [-7] including "Cocker Tommy" Fleetwood and of all people Jhonattan Vegas @ pre-tourney 250-1. Tiger Woods "squeeks" the CUT @ [even] :confused:

"X" Schauffele "stinky poo-poo" a [-1] for tourney [+1] CUT vs Oosthuizen [-5] for [-5] a tourney match play LOSER!!! :mad:
Oh and BOTH "The Mole" AND the "Rham-a-lama Ding Dong" sorry ass CUTS :hang:

some "tack one" adjusted "to win" plays after the 2nd round (bet/return) [2nd round/tourney scores]

Adam Scott 8-1 (25/225) [-7/-9]
Jamie Lovemark 12-1 (18/234) [-5/-10]
Justin Thomas 14-1 (15/225) [-4/-6]
Bryson DeChambeau 16-1 (15/255) [-5/-8]
Jhonatthan Vegas 60-1 (5/305) [-3/-7]
Adam Hadwin 80-1 (5/405) [-6/-6]
Louis Oosthuizen 80-1 (5/405) [-5/-5]

Good God Gertie!!! ALL my player that were LEADERS 2nd round "blew up" in the 3rd. Brooks Koepka [+1] for [-9] and Jamie Lovemark [+2] for [-8] with Adam Scott [-1] for [-10] I did NOT expect THAT from Koepka. at least he is two up on Dustin Johnson going into Sunday :hang:

the leader Bryson DeChambeau with a [-8] for [-16] has a four shot lead over solo 2nd Keegan Bradley who shot [-9] for [-12]. I thought if ANYONE shot a score like THAT it would be Justin Thomas. GLAD I "sprinkled" some on "Dr De" :cool:

well Bryson DeChambeau holds on with a final round [-2] for the tourney [-18] four shot WIN over Tony Finau. gets me my "bait back" on this weeks "to win" bets with the $15 to pay $255. AND Brooks Koepka holds on with a final [-2] for tourney [-11] a one shot WIN over Dustin Johnson covers the LOSS on that IDIOT "X" against Oosthuizen. I am satisfied to get out about even this week :cool:

Did BD and TF punch their tickets to France with this effort?

very well could have. DeChambeau jumped from #9 to #1 in FedEx point and Finau #12 to #4. Captain Jim Furyk will make three selections after next weeks Dell Technologies Championship and even though Tiger Woods was "flat" this week, his solo 2nd PGA should get him in along with those two unless he was to "blow up" at Boston. "X" Schauffele really hurt his chances with this weeks CUT

Back