Northern Illinois vs UAB Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Underdog Huskies Are Barking in Boca Raton Bowl Against UAB

Boca Raton Bowl: Northern Illinois (8-5 SU, 7-6 ATS) vs UAB (10-3 SU, 9-4 ATS)

Tuesday, Dec. 18, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN)

FAU Stadium, Boca Raton, Florida

NCAAF Pick: Huskies ATS

Both coaches are looking for their first bowl win with their respective team. NIU’s Rod Carey is 0-5 SU and ATS in bowls. Four of those defeats came as underdogs and two of them were against Power Five schools. Bill Clark coached UAB in one bowl game. Last year, the Blazers lost as seven-point underdogs 41-6 to Ohio.

How They Got Here

NIU won the MAC title game 30-29 after falling behind 29-10 in the third quarter. Almost as shocking as the comeback itself was the performance of quarterback Marcus Childers. Childers had been averaging only five yards per pass attempt on the season. But against Buffalo’s highly-ranked pass defense, he averaged nine per pass attempt while throwing for 300 yards and four touchdowns. UAB steamrolled through most of its conference schedule and held on to defeat Middle Tennessee in the Conference-USA title game for its 10th win of the season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why UAB Can Win/Cover

The Blazers run the ball and stop the run well. Its workhorse is bruising 220-pounder Spencer Brown, who has carried the ball at least 20 times in eight games. Despite the heavy volume, he averages 4.7 YPC and has accrued 1,147 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns. UAB is 9-1 ATS when running for over 120 yards.

Defensively, UAB ranks 19th in opposing YPC. Stopping the run is an important ability against the Huskies, which rank 36th in run play percentage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why Northern Illinois Can Win/Cover

The Blazers’ run defense numbers look strong because of the poor rushing attacks it faced, six of which rank outside the top 100 in YPC, eight outside the top 90. The two rush attacks in the Group of Five that it faced that rank in the top 60 are Tulane, which achieved 4.4 YPC, .1 off its season average, on 40 carries, and North Texas, which averaged 2.8 YPC, but focused on passing and never established its running game.

The Huskies boast two different running backs with at least 90 carries that average over 5 YPC. The leader of the duo is Tre Harbison, who is approaching the 1,000-yard mark on 5.2 YPC. He averaged at least 4.8 YPC against top-50 run defenses like Miami, (Ohio) BYU, and Utah. UAB failed to cover its last two games when allowing over 100 rushing yards.

Common Opponents/Series History

Both schools took on some Power Five teams. UAB got blown out by Texas A&M by three touchdowns. Northern Illinois lost by multiple scores to Florida State, Iowa, and Utah.

The Verdict

Besides boasting a well-tested duo of running backs, the Huskies have dual-threat quarterback Marcus Childers. UAB has shown some problems defending mobile quarterbacks. They allowed Tulane’s Jonathan Banks to achieve a season-high rush gain and Coastal Carolina’s Kilton Anderson to gain a season-high yardage total. Childers has rushed for for over 50 yards on six different occasions, including 169 against Ohio. Childers also showed against Buffalo that he is capable of throwing beautiful deep passes. He became a quarterback who is able to march his team down the field. UAB ranks highly in opposing passer rating, but also faced six teams that rank outside the top 90 in opposing passer rating. Against North Texas’ Mason Fine, the Blazers allowed over 300 passing yards and three touchdowns. I expect Childers’ passer rating to be somewhere between his season average of 111 and Fine’s rating of 167.

UAB’s offense will struggle to show the same balance as NIU's because it has less depth at running back and a shaky starting quarterback in A.J. Erdely who has thrown as many touchdowns and interceptions and is listed as ‚questionable‘ for the game with a shoulder injury. His backup has thrown one more interception than touchdowns. The Huskies rank third in opposing YPC. It shut down the likes of Ohio star running back A.J. Ouellette to 1.5 YPC and limited Buffalo’s 41st-ranked rush attack to 3.4 YPC, 1.3 below its season average. NIU will also contain Spencer Brown.

Two newly crowned conference champions in the Northern Illinois Huskies and UAB Blazers will meet in Boca Raton to do battle today.
L7 seasons:
CUSA 9-4 SU and 8-5 ATS in the bowl game after playing their conference championship (9-0 SU and 8-1 ATS fave).
MAC 1-11 SU and 1-9-2 ATS in the bowl game after playing their conference championship (0-11 SU and 0-9-2 ATS scoring less than 33).
L15 seasons:
CUSA 13-4 in bowl games vs MAC (12-0 SU and 10-2 ATS fave).
Northern Illinois is now 0-5 with a -127 cumulative point differential in bowl games during the Rod Carey era.

I was on NIU to win straight up versus BYU (-6.5) back in October. It cashed but that entire game was offensively challenged to say the least. BYU defense was giving up an average of 24 points/356 ypg at the time, and finished 18th in the nation in total defense. Tonight NIU faces a UAB team who rank 11th in total defense (300 ypg) and have allowed 17 points per game all season (10th NCAA) - however on the bright side for NIU, they've gone perfect 6-0 ATS this season versus teams allowing less than 25 ppg. But I think it comes down to the strength of the offensive lines.
The UAB offensive line features four senior starters, including first-team All-Conference USA Justice Powers. Rishard Cook, James Davis and Malique Johnson each earned second-team honors. Northern Illinois has allowed 3 sacks per game (113th NCAA; 117th in Adjusted Sack Rate) in comparison to the Blazers who only allowed 23 all season (46th).

To me this one just seems like UAB is on that mission to finish the deal, certainly can't question motivation with them. Two years removed from being 86'd pretty sure winning the bowl game will be a complete focus, helps the cold weather visitors have just spent a week in Boca Raton.

To me this one just seems like UAB is on that mission to finish the deal, certainly can't question motivation with them. Two years removed from being 86'd pretty sure winning the bowl game will be a complete focus, helps the cold weather visitors have just spent a week in Boca Raton.

That right there is all the motivation they need and their HC should've won the Coach of the Year!

It was Buffalo game to give away in the MAC final and porous of defensive plays late in the game.

Northern Illy faced better rush attacks IMO and dominated them.

Think dog and the under look good here.
To be fair I really don't look at Xs and Os in general, but during bowl season I don't at all with exception of a handful of the big games. I did pay the tax and take UAB on the ML here in an effort to avoid the 1 or 2 point kick to the nutz

Also for the first time looked at public % today, not a big fan of using it in bowls/March Madness type stuff (other than sweet 16 where it seems to pay off) and this one looks like about 60/40 UAB tickets on spread. Won't lie, not upset doing my own thing I'm only on 3 of the top 10 heaviest for the bowls, I know you look at that stuff spek.

To be fair I really don't look at Xs and Os in general, but during bowl season I don't at all with exception of a handful of the big games. I did pay the tax and take UAB on the ML here in an effort to avoid the 1 or 2 point kick to the nutz

Also for the first time looked at public % today, not a big fan of using it in bowls/March Madness type stuff (other than sweet 16 where it seems to pay off) and this one looks like about 60/40 UAB tickets on spread. Won't lie, not upset doing my own thing I'm only on 3 of the top 10 heaviest for the bowls, I know you look at that stuff spek.

I look at it less and less as I get older because it simply drives you mad and there's nothing to it long term.

IMO there's nothing about the consensuses here to read into. Maybe in a 80% plus NBA road chalker.

NCAA Football, if big majority is laying 3+ on the fave and it somehow closes less than 3.. or NCAAB when a big majority is laying 5+ but the dog gets bet down past 5 (and especially if it goes thru 3).. usually happens during warmups 30 minutes prior to kickoff/tipoff. That is just my personal, remedial interpretation of when/how to use consensus as a reason to buy.

OR WHEN you see 70% to 80% of the bets on an underdog that the line hasn't moved during some holiday weekend or weekday when every Joe in the nation is off work, like the weekend after Thanksgiving or something.. usually fade that dog because it's gonna lose by DD

My problem with consensus tracking as a means to a winning end is my lack of faith in the actual data that makes up the betting percentages.

My problem with consensus tracking as a means to a winning end is my lack of faith in the actual data that makes up the betting percentages.
I more or less want to prove or disprove consensus stuff, keeps the brain sharp

Actual data on the other hand for me only reflects history and can be very misleading (again to me) with respect to predicting the future. It can be helpful if I think it's giving a false reading I guess but it's why I don't do power numbers and you and many others who are successful do.

Data means virtually nothing to me when betting non-con/March Madness/Bowls because it would require dissecting transitive values which I sure as hell can't do

I more or less want to prove or disprove consensus stuff, keeps the brain sharp

Actual data on the other hand for me only reflects history and can be very misleading (again to me) with respect to predicting the future. It can be helpful if I think it's giving a false reading I guess but it's why I don't do power numbers and you and many others who are successful do.

Data means virtually nothing to me when betting non-con/March Madness/Bowls because it would require dissecting transitive values which I sure as hell can't do

I mean the data that creates the betting percentages. I don't trust it. And that is my problem with betting based on it, personally.

I know Tru used to use it successfully

I mean the data that creates the betting percentages. I don't trust it. And that is my problem with betting based on it, personally.

I know Tru used to use it successfully

I wouldn't use it other than to try to understand why RLM might make sense. On the surface it really never does, many times it never will...but there are plenty of times (especially after the game is complete) it's a good tool for me to understand it and realize why the game looked so damn easy.

Bowl season, Wisconsin seems to be a solid test for my wagers

I just use the database Joe Meyer gives out for free and he doesn't keep track of temps for NCAA. Might be a question for someone with bet labs though. I bet someone can tell us, but that shit costs actual money so I never learned to use it.

just did a quick twitter search for miami bowl weather
The Badgers have won four straight bowl games, while Miami’s lost seven of its last eight. The Hurricanes could be out to avenge last season’s loss to UW in the Orange Bowl. A cold-weather game at Yankee Stadium may benefit the Badgers.
that little quote right there combined with the 80% ATS makes it even more fishy I thinks. Dang I can't wait for the 27th now lol

Back