T

The Capping Genius

College Football 2013. 0-0
Legend.
Top Play = 4 units
#1 Play = 3 units
#2 Play =2 units
#3 Play =1 units

Several plays look to good to be true, as we open the season with some real mismatches against the sprrad. I have been reading other posted threads on games I already liked and considered who they were that posted them. Many here have write ups that magnify my own selections, so its good to know I'm not fading most of those plays.

BYU -1 over Virginia. Top Rated Play.

This game has a severely wrong line.
(As a courtesy,CollegeKingRex has a great write up that I liked as well).

(I'm still trying to figure out how Virginia covered against VT in the last game of the regular season by putting up a measly 217 yds on offense)

BYU is rock-solid on defense even with the loss of 7 players. The fact that they held opponents to an average of 15pts/gm is significant to say the least as they were even more impressive holding bowl level opponents to only 18pts to back it up. The defensive system is the key, as coaching is what makes it work and not so much as who is playing. The Cougars have held 16 of the last 19 opponents to under 300 yds offense and that includes smashing SDSU in the bowl game and only allowing 263 yards.

I lined this game as BYU -5, with an extra -3 just on defense (likely turnovers by Virg)as the Cavs will get beat in all four quarters in this one. This line is off by a full td and more as -8 would still not turn me away. Special teams (with BYU speed) will also rule this one. I agree that this could be the lowest scoring teams at home and all season.

In the last 16 years these two tangled twice and both times the home team lost SU.

Alabama -20 Over Virginia Tech. #1 Rated Play.

The Crimson Tide made most of their point spread money on the road last year as they went 5-2 (only 2-4 home)for the cash. No better way to start the season than traveling against the Hokies. VT had two games LY against teams that couldn't compete with Bama. They lost to Fla State and Miami, Fla. VT was dogged at home by 12.5 and lost by 6. They also went to Miami as a -1.5 favorite and lost SU 12-30. This is just about the same team they had a year ago (less five starters on offense) and they should find that the only thing they get out of this, is a sold-out stadium and large TV money for getting smashed on TV by the Tide.

Mississippi -3 over Vanderbilt. #2 Play.

The Commodores pulled out a big win LY as Jordan Rodgers rallied them from behind 16-6 at the half to win SU 27-26 in Mississippi. That's the whole story. He's gone now and the 'Dores will try to hold on at home against an Ole Miss team loaded with returning starters on both sides of the ball. Mainly quarterback Bo Wallace.
A big factor that isn't present this year, is that Ole Miss has no one to think about in their next game as they face a less competitive bunch from SE Missouri. Last season when they lined up to play Vandy, they had LSU on deck away. With Rodgers gone, this should make playing defense much easier than a year ago, resulting in more positive possessions by Ole Miss.
Wallace should have a big day running as well as passing as the Rebels return 9 starters on offense, as well as 10 on the solid defense that killed Pitt easily in the bowl win to finish off last year. The Dores defense is still solid as they return 8 starters from a team the was ranked in the top 20 on defense LY, but the offense wont be able to keep up with Wallace and the Rebel attack.

more to add .

Last edited by a moderator:
Braves, Schrute and xyzky Thanks . Hope you all have a great season

FRIDAY

Western Mich +28 Rated #3vs Mich State
Miami, Fla -31.5
Rated #3vs Fla Atl
Texas Tech +5.5
Rated #3 vs SMU

VT all f'd up with injuries, suspensions, etc. should get down right ugly but Nick isn't the kind of guy to run it up either. Considering UNDER play as well here. BOL

VT all f'd up with injuries, suspensions, etc. should get down right ugly but Nick isn't the kind of guy to run it up either. Considering UNDER play as well here. BOL

Oh Mags, he loves killing teams.
LY on the road
52-0 at Arkansas
42-10 @ Missouri
44-13 @ Tenn
42-14 Notre Dame.

None of those teams would struggle with VT at this time.
Look out VT lovers

Bloodhound, twinkie13, KowboyKarl. thanks
gl today

Kowboy that was a text error. TT was -.

Last edited by a moderator:
SATURDAY

Mass +45 rated #3 over Wiscinsin
Purdue +10.5 #2 Over Cincinnati
Maryland -20 #3 over Fla Int (bet early)
Michigan -31.5 #3 over Cent Mich
Buffalo +36 #3 Over Ohio State (bet early in the week. missed the 37)

more later

More Saturday

Rice +28 #3 over Texas A&M
Penn State -8.5 #2 over Syracuse
Georgia -2 #3 over Clemson
Northwestern -5 #3 over California
Washington -3.5 #1 rated over Boise

Washington #1 Rated Play.
The Huskies have revenge on their mind today as these two clashed last year in the Las Vegas Bowl. The Huskies, a 4 point dog, covered by losing a narrow 26-28 loss. Killer defensive plays by Boise, were the deciding factors that stole a win from Washington.

The Huskies struggled against winning teams a year ago but did play one of their best games in the bowl against the strong Boise program. This year the Broncos return fragments of the team they had a year ago by returning only 4 defensive starters. The Huskies return most of the starters on offense (*10) and defense (8) and with home field advantage and the fact that they are fresh in their first game, should find a way to win this one. Last year they suffered with turnovers at crucial times that cost them against winning teams.

Boise lost the turnover battle only once all of last season and that makes them hard to beat. But the lack of returning starters should weigh heavily tonight in Washington.
Now if the Huskies can hold Boise to less points than they did in the Las Vegas Bowl loss, this one should come out in their favor.

The oddsmakers and the current ranking of Boise (#19 again) is giving the Broncos too much credit. Last season Boise was ranked #19 in the Bowl game and Washington was unranked at all. This season Washington is still unranked. How does a team that lost 5 offensive starters and 7 defensive starters retain that status, while a team like Washington returning 18 and played within 2 points of Boise, get no respect by remaining unranked?

Huskies can earn some respect tonight for sure

Off to a decent start.
Sides 11-5 -1P
Totals 0-0
Halves 0-0
Props 0-0

Louisville-21 #2 Rating
over Ohio.
Cards are heavily favored with good cause, as they smothered their bowl bound opponents last season and return a good bunch of starters. By producing an eye-popping win over Florida in the Sugar Bowl, that made a big statement to produce this large spread today against the Bobcats of Ohio.

Ohio suffered badly against bowlers by allowing a 6.7 yds per rush average against them. While the Cardinals never were known for any great ground game, they should hit an all time high today if they choose to run the ball. Passing is what Lou does best and the Bobcats will find that they have no way to stop the Cardinal attack.
Ohio allowed 52 points to Ball State LY and they have no where near the offense that Louisville has today. The Cardinals must improve on defense though if they intend to run at the top of the rankings this season. Last year they allowed 32pts /gm against bowl teams and none were known for high scoring. Today the Cards return 10 defensive starters and we can only expect them to be more seasoned and learn to stop giving up big plays to lessor teams.
Ohio plays the whole 60 minutes with Frank Solich as coach, so a back door cover could happen if Louisville decides to coast. I'm looking for Lou to play like a top ranked team that is hungry to dominate at home.

Bobcats injuries last year means you cant really compare defense in todays game with club that Ball State destroyed. For example, OU starting secondary was totally gone for Ball St and will all be there today. Health on this one but congrats on the nice opening week.

Bobcats injuries last year means you cant really compare defense in todays game with club that Ball State destroyed. For example, OU starting secondary was totally gone for Ball St and will all be there today. Health on this one but congrats on the nice opening week.

I was going to drop this in your thread, but since you stoppped by, thanks. Ohio gave up nearly 7 yds per carry against bowlers last year. None of those teams are in the category of Louisville then and even farther away from today's Lou team. I appreciate the 'health' wish and wish you the same. One of us will likely be playing a half time bet if we see that we could be in trouble. My guess is that the Bobcats will get impatient, get out of their game plan and struggle to make plays.
The cards love to run it up when they can

College Season
Sides. 12-5-1P
Totals 0-0
Halves-0-0
Props- 0-0

Pittsburgh +11 Rated #3 over Florida State

FSU has lost their own 'Johnny Football" to the NFL. The Feather-Headed Spear Throwers are now in a whole new position without Manuel. EJ was Mr Everything for the Seminoles LY on offense. He also was a huge factor in ball control consistency by completing 68% of his passes and a million yards passing with only 10 interceptions and averaging 41 points per game..
On the road though, FSU was a little different team, as they averaged only 29 pts/game. The 29 is still a great average, but it would have been for any legitimate quarterback on his way to the NFL.

EJ actually played far better than his team was capable of playing. If he played QB for Bama, he would have likely averaged 55pts per game. FSU was good but not great. In their only 2 road games against bowl level teams, they won by 6 at Virginia Tech and lost by 1 to N.C. State.

Now with the removal of 'Mr Everything', they go to another bowl-level team and lay 11 points. They also travel without 7 defensive starters from LY, who will no longer have the luxury of waiting on the sidelines during long Manuel drives to rest.

Pitt lost qb Sunseri but he was never considered by many to be of high caliber qb, although Chryst did miracles with him as someone here quoted in another thread.
The Panthers had one bad game against Cincinnati in the 2nd week of the season and after that, they went the remainder of the season at home with their worst loss by only 10 points, to Louisville.

I wonder if FSU can do as good without that defense and without the high level play of EJ Manuel, in a place where the Panthers seem to surprise many better teams. They knocked off #13 ranked VT at home along with then ranked #21 Rutgers and played within 10 points of #18 ranked Louisville and lost by 3 to Fourth-ranked Notre Dame in Notre Dame.

Paul Chryst must have some magic left in his bags of tricks today. He found a way to play well against ranked and bowl level teams in his first year in Steel City.
An upset wouldn't shock me but I'll take the 11 today.

Back