No one going to comment on Maryland pregame Saturday?

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
At the coin flip instead of the captains shaking hands they refused to shake hands with the Penn St captains. Coach said it wasn't planned for and apologized after the game but then quickly said "Let the rivalry begin!". Also failed to mention any punishment (not even "Ill talk to them") for his captains so it obviously was scripted with his blessing. My opinion is that they should have thrown an unsportsmanlike flag on them before the game started to be assessed at the kickoff.

I really hate to see how many high school teams will do what these guys did before their games because while it was classless and a poor testament to Maryland football the kids will think it's cool. This from the "leaders" of the football team. Nice reflection on the university as well. I really didn't care about the outcome of the game to start but I found myself rooting for Penn St after that chicken shit.

In any event, congratulations Maryland you are now going to be considered one of the class acts in college football from now on. Well done and well deserved. GL :rofl:

It's a university who systematically turned its back on child molestation. Sorry if I don't hold the terp kids in contempt on this one.

They want this to be their rivalry so I have a feeling it was contrived and it is certainly not something I want teams and players doing on the regular .. and really don't think it should have been done here ... but just hard to get upset about it when it is penn state.

lil off base there VK

while I vomit Pedo St.....

had zero to do with the situation at hand

agree partially with VK

Penn State has about 5000 years as an institution before they can start calling any other school out for 'class'

Didn't know they were flagged for it. That helps so at least the high school kids know there are consequences.

I am calling out Maryland for no class. Has nothing to do with Penn St and their reputation and I know Maryland didn't do it for Penn St rep either. Had nothing to do with that. It was just a childish way to show up their opponent. GL

I read about this earlier...is seems that the Penn State players may have run through Maryland's warmups as PSU entered the stadium before any of this happened, so them not shaking hands may have been a response to that. I read a few things about it, one said that PSU always does the same entrance and the other team isn't usually where Maryland was at the time, and others said that PSU was clearly trying to start some shit with what they did. I didn't see it, so I couldn't tell you who to believe.

Pretty sure they were flagged for a scuffle that also took place before the game as well, not for not shaking hands.

lol at wanting someone to be your rival. Rivals should come naturally, not contrived. Like Pitt for example, we officially have no rival without WVU. They are trying to make Syracuse our rival but no one here actually cares about Syracuse

Pretty sure they were flagged for a scuffle that also took place before the game as well, not for not shaking hands.
Everything I've read said it was for the coin toss issue, and you could hear the PA announcer mention it in the background just before kickoff on the broadcast.

Everything I've read said it was for the coin toss issue, and you could hear the PA announcer mention it in the background just before kickoff on the broadcast.

Maryland and Penn State also got into a brief scuffle before the coin toss. Wideout Stefon Diggs -- one of the Maryland team captains who refused a handshake, alongside tight end P.J. Gallo and safety Sean Davis -- was flagged 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

This was the "scuffle" before the handshake thing even took place...could be where the penalty came from, but some outlets are reporting it was for the non-handshake.

[video]https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/4F5D488DB81140363295090458624_3e8f3a7e741.0.1.5540 894347854473037.mp4?versionId=o2vvy7kw1wuwoK8PAgQU sI_Kgz6ZOEm7[/video]

Who gives a shit if it was because of a scuffle or not seeing how there are MANY scuffles throughout the year during pre-game warm-ups and they still shook hands at the coin toss for no other reason than to make people believe everything was "ok". Maryland didn't.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — After the Terrapins football team sprinted onto the field at Beaver Stadium on Saturday to a chorus of boos from the Penn State crowd of more than 100,000, a skirmish broke out near the 20-yard line. Players from both squads shoved one another. Wide receiver Stefon Diggs’ arm made incidental contact with a referee’s head. No penalties were called.
Minutes later, Diggs, tight end P.J. Gallo and safety Sean Davis, the Terps’ captains, walked to midfield for the pregame coin toss. The Nittany Lions captains extended their hands. Diggs, Gallo and Davis refused to shake them. This time, the referees flagged the Terps for unsportsmanlike conduct and assessed 15 yards on the opening kickoff.

UNIVERSITY PARK — Maryland hadn’t had much success in its history against Penn State.
That changed on Saturday in Happy Valley, where the Terrapins (6-3, 3-2 Big Ten) beat Penn State 20-19 (4-4, 1-4) for their first win at Beaver Stadium.

Maryland players made a statement — and got a penalty — before the game even started when the Terps’ captains refused to shake hands with their Penn State counterparts.

Who gives a shit if it was because of a scuffle or not seeing how there are MANY scuffles throughout the year during pre-game warm-ups and they still shook hands at the coin toss for no other reason than to make people believe everything was "ok". Maryland didn't.

Agreed.

On the other hand, who gives a shit if Maryland didn't wanna shake their hands because they were still pissed about a scuffle with PSU before the game? Sounds like they weren't going to just "make people believe everything was ok," and wanted to let PSU know they weren't friends and were about to battle (and beat) them.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — After the Terrapins football team sprinted onto the field at Beaver Stadium on Saturday to a chorus of boos from the Penn State crowd of more than 100,000, a skirmish broke out near the 20-yard line. Players from both squads shoved one another. Wide receiver Stefon Diggs’ arm made incidental contact with a referee’s head. No penalties were called.
Minutes later, Diggs, tight end P.J. Gallo and safety Sean Davis, the Terps’ captains, walked to midfield for the pregame coin toss. The Nittany Lions captains extended their hands. Diggs, Gallo and Davis refused to shake them. This time, the referees flagged the Terps for unsportsmanlike conduct and assessed 15 yards on the opening kickoff.

UNIVERSITY PARK — Maryland hadn’t had much success in its history against Penn State.
That changed on Saturday in Happy Valley, where the Terrapins (6-3, 3-2 Big Ten) beat Penn State 20-19 (4-4, 1-4) for their first win at Beaver Stadium.

Maryland players made a statement — and got a penalty — before the game even started when the Terps’ captains refused to shake hands with their Penn State counterparts.

Yeah, it's being reported differently by different outlets. Many are saying it was due to the non-handshake...but that really doesn't make sense. Is there a rule on the books that you have to shake hands with the opposition before the game? Players do get flagged for scuffles all the time though...it just makes more sense that the flag was for the scuffle and not refusing to shake hands. Doesn't really matter I guess but if we're flagging guys for not liking, or pretending to like the opposition, we've got more serious issues than anyone knows.

Agreed.

On the other hand, who gives a shit if Maryland didn't wanna shake their hands because they were still pissed about a scuffle with PSU before the game? Sounds like they weren't going to just "make people believe everything was ok," and wanted to let PSU know they weren't friends and were about to battle (and beat) them.

I don't understand why you have to turn this into your 1,000,000th argument? Only McDonald's has accomplished more than you have! Post something and move on for the first time in your life! Only you were gonna come in here and tell someone they were wrong. This. Thread. Isn't. Worth. It.

I don't understand why you have to turn this into your 1,000,000th argument? Only McDonald's has accomplished more than you have! Post something and move on for the first time in your life! Only you were gonna come in here and tell someone they were wrong. This. Thread. Isn't. Worth. It.

How am I arguing? I thought we were just discussing this. JFC.

Did I not say I agreed with you?

I watched the whole game, I was shocked to find out that penn state has the worst offensive line ever. I know they had a lot of injuries but md defensive line and backers were all over hackenburg.

as for the no hand shake before the game, I've never seen it happen before but I suspect there is some beef between the two coaches. they often go head to head in recruiting in md, nj and pa.

When will the "quick hand to nose, snot on finger" handshake trick come back?

This is similar to when Mich St ran up the score because of the pre-game actions of the opponent. I see nothing wrong with either situation.

Back