NL West Betting Recap and Futures Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
The Dodgers Were, Are, and Will Be Kings of NL West

After a shockingly disappointing start to the season, the Dodgers have fought their way into first-place. Let’s recap why the NL West standings look why they do and see why it’s worth betting on LA to hold its lead.

MLB Pick: Dodgers

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NL West Standings at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Allstargame2018?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Allstargame2018</a> break <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dodgers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Dodgers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LADetermined?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#LADetermined</a> <a href="https://t.co/cFNVJGeVxM">pic.twitter.com/cFNVJGeVxM</a></p>&mdash; Alvin L (@alfsbones) <a href=" ">July 15, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NL West Odds:

Dodgers -160
Diamondbacks: +200
Giants: +900
Rockies: +1200
Padres +30000

The defending NL West champion Dodgers were one game away from winning last season’s World Series. They seemed hung over from the crushing defeat, starting the season 26-30 through May. But they have rediscovered their stride, going 27-13 since then to take the lead in the NL West. Because of their slow start, the Dodgers are still one of the least profitable teams, yielding -15.6 units. Oddsmakers repeatedly ask bettors to lay such heavy chalk on them that the Dodgers will likely only improve marginally in profitability. Their most profitable pitcher, Ross Stripling, has a 2.08 ERA, but is still only yielding +2.4 units. A future bet is the surest way to profit off LA.

The NL West has been the tightest division so far with four teams within four games of each other. But the Doyers stand out. Their hitters rank seventh in OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) despite playing in one of the most pitcher-friendly ballparks. They have achieved their .753 OPS despite having the sixth-lowest BABIP (batted average of balls in play). Their BABIP should be higher given their above-average rate of hard contact, so they have statistical upside. All-Star Matt Kemp is having his best season since 2012. He leads the team with a .310 BA. Cody Bellinger had a disappointing start to the season, but he’s steadily been improving his BA and the former unanimous choice for NL Rookie of the Year will keep progressing to last season’s numbers. The acquisition of superstar Manny Machado will further boost LA's lineup.

LA’s starting rotation boasts four guys with an ERA under 3.20. It hasn’t missed a beat, even with Hyun-Jin Ryu on the DL. Ryu is tossing pitches again and should return soon. Kenta Maeda, like Ryu, has strongly improved from last season mainly by conceding fewer home runs. The two biggest surprises have been Stripling and Walker Buehler. People mistakenly attribute Stripling’s improvement to his transition into the rotation, but even his numbers as a reliever are amazing. Stripling’s biggest improvement has been to make his curveball into a lethal pitch. Opponents are hitting .169 against it because it boasts more movement than it ever has before. Buehler’s ERA is inflated by a recent disaster out of the bullpen and another in Coors Field. But in eight of his nine other starts, Buehler allowed two runs or fewer. The fourth starter under 3.20 is future Hall-of-Famer Clayton Kershaw, who has struggled for health and sharpness at times, but still boasts a 3.17 FIP. Wood, like Buehler, is paying the statistical price for two disastrous outings, in one of which his FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) was only 3.96. He’s typically a reliable pitcher and boasts a 3.47 FIP. Wood’s transition to becoming more of a fly ball pitcher by elevating his pitches more frequently is paying off. He has endured at least six quality innings in each of his last five starts.

The Dodgers’ bullpen ranks 15th in FIP. I wouldn’t be surprised if they put Buehler in the bullpen when Ryu returns or if they go out and purchase a quality reliever. Whereas the Dodgers’ pen is its weakness, the Giants’ bullpen is its strength. It has a 3.42 FIP, fourth-best. San Fran's starting rotation is led by Madison Bumgarner, who has been off and on and is mustering a 3.89 FIP. His low ERA has been a product mostly of his opposing BABIP that is fortunately low given his career-high rate of hard contact allowed and an unsustainably high rate of runners stranded. Johnny Cueto has been even more fortunate in those regards. His FIP is 4.10. Both Cueto and Bumgarner are still trying to return to their 2016 form. Rookies Andrew Suarez and Dereck Rodriguez have been quietly achieving 3.50 FIPs. The Giants’ starting rotation is strong and promising, but lacks the same depth and quality of LA’s, although San Fran's bullpen makes up for some of that deficit.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"> <a href="https://t.co/j2c66SenpD">pic.twitter.com/j2c66SenpD</a></p>&mdash; Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) <a href=" ">July 18, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The key difference between San Fran and LA is the ability to perform on the road. The Giants’ OPS is 21st mostly because its OPS is 25th on the road, just ahead of the lowly Royals. They struggle hugely with plate discipline, as measured by strikeout-to-walk ratio. San Fran’s difficulty in hitting on the road is costing them. They are 19-29 away from home. Their series road record against division opponents is 1-4-1. The Giants’ road struggles haven’t costed them too much in a game-by-game betting sense. They’re yielding -2.2 units away. But oddsmakers undervalue them and they are yielding +9.9 units at home. Conversely, the Dodgers share the best win percentage on the road with Colorado and Arizona.

Arizona will compete with San Francisco for second-place. Its bullpen ranks similarly to LA’s in FIP. Its rotation boasts 2.5 quality starters. Patrick Corbin has been an awesome surprise, bringing his FIP down from 4.08 last season to 2.81. After some early struggles, Zack Greinke has returned to his usual dominant self, dropping a sub-three FIP in each of his last five starts. Robbie Ray is his usual two-faced self. His road FIP is 2.43, but at home its 7.62. The „over“ is hitting in 75% of his starts in Arizona, where he’s never worth backing. Clay Buchholz has enjoyed a positive revival. He’ll hopefully return soon from the DL, but i’m not ready to trust him because of his higher FIP and because three of his seven starts came against the anemic Mets and Marlins lineups. Arizona’s hitting is almost bottom-ranked in BABIP, though it should see some upsurge because its BABIP is too low given its high rates of hard contact and line drives.

The Rockies won’t be far from second place either. Its bullpen had an atrocious stretch, which it believes to have put behind them, ranking ninth in FIP in the past 14 days. Adam Ottavino and Scott Oberg are always reliable and Wade Davis and Chris Rusin have been great in the past month. The rotation boasts an upcoming star in Kyle Freeland, who is the team’s most profitable pitcher at +4.4 units, It’s worth remembering that the „under“ is hitting in nearly 80% of his outings, 87% at home. Tyler Anderson has been strong lately, yielding a sub-two FIP in three of his last four outings. Jon Gray is suffering a historically great disparity between his ERA and his FIP and he should experience a major statistical progression in the second half. The problem with Colorado is its hitting away from Coors Field, where breaking pitches break more closer to sea level and where it ranks 23rd in OPS thanks to its low hard contact and line drive rates and higher strikeout percentage.

Flip a coin for second place. But the Dodgers stand out with their hitting and starting pitching and their consistency both home and away. Whereas the Giants are poor entirely on the road, the Diamondbacks are mediocre with their bullpen and hitting and the Rockies with their hitting on the road, LA’s bullpen mediocrity seems relatively fixable.

Last edited:
Tired of these gigantic articles, covering four fucking teams. They were fun but glad to move back to game-by-game coverage. Losing while scheduling changes mandate article submission an extra day in advance of game.

The hype will probably kill all value lol. Its one player lol, not the best of Boston, Yankee and Houston lineups. I hope oddsmakers don't go nuts

Solid work.

Sounds like you’ve got more faith in Doyers pitching than I do.

I believe I saw that you didn‘t mention Ryu when you were talking about Doyers pitching earlier? You dont like him?
I really hope Doyers get a good reliever tho. Surplus of good starters imo and Buehler could be like what Gsellman or Lugo were for Mets

I believe I saw that you didn‘t mention Ryu when you were talking about Doyers pitching earlier? You dont like him?
I really hope Doyers get a good reliever tho. Surplus of good starters imo and Buehler could be like what Gsellman or Lugo were for Mets

Ryu hasn't done much for almost 2 entire seasons. But you do make a point, before his latest injury he was pitching really well in April. He just threw a 25 pitch bullpen session so yeah I did forget about him.

'Losing Ryu was early on in the season was tough as he was off to a strong showing. In his first six starts, Ryu was 3-0 with a 2.12 ERA, 3.13 FIP and 0.86 WHIP while striking out 36 and walking 10 in 29.2 innings.' Copy and paste from dodgerblue.com.

Not bad lol.

Ryu hasn't done much for almost 2 entire seasons. But you do make a point, before his latest injury he was pitching really well in April. He just threw a 25 pitch bullpen session so yeah I did forget about him.

'Losing Ryu was early on in the season was tough as he was off to a strong showing. In his first six starts, Ryu was 3-0 with a 2.12 ERA, 3.13 FIP and 0.86 WHIP while striking out 36 and walking 10 in 29.2 innings.' Copy and paste from dodgerblue.com.

Not bad lol.

Do you think he can keep that up when he returns??

Prefer Snakes starters to Dodgers but to each their own, think it comes down to the wire between the two with the Rox pushing but ultimately not getting there...said I didn't want any moves here but I certainly wouldn't mind Hand in the BP...bullpen has been pretty damn solid this season. Hopefully May is a distant memory, Ray finally getting into form after pretty decent injury, Corbin what we expected back in 2015 as a possible future ace before the injury, a year off (basically two considering he was trying to find it again last year, arm angle finally back). Just sucks Walker got hurt, have a feeling Godley will be just a solid 5 for the time being.

So many injuries early on (Pollock, Souza) and slow start for Goldy, can't complain about the 1st half at. all.

Prefer Snakes starters to Dodgers but to each their own, think it comes down to the wire between the two with the Rox pushing but ultimately not getting there...said I didn't want any moves here but I certainly wouldn't mind Hand in the BP...bullpen has been pretty damn solid this season. Hopefully May is a distant memory, Ray finally getting into form after pretty decent injury, Corbin what we expected back in 2015 as a possible future ace before the injury, a year off (basically two considering he was trying to find it again last year, arm angle finally back). Just sucks Walker got hurt, have a feeling Godley will be just a solid 5 for the time being.

So many injuries early on (Pollock, Souza) and slow start for Goldy, can't complain about the 1st half at. all.

Agreed. Dbacks bullpen been a strong suit all season. Going to be a tight race for sure.

Ironically Hill is the one I fear the worst...we know what Kersh gonna bring but Snakes never hit those soft tossing lefties well.

Ironically Hill is the one I fear the worst...we know what Kersh gonna bring but Snakes never hit those soft tossing lefties well.

His blisters will flare or his shoulder will go out. Plus the dodgers brass only let him go through the lineup twice. Note last year in WS, he was pitching well and they pulled him even though his pitch count was low and he was cruising.

I really think San Fran and rox gonna make this the most interesting race just for shear number of teams that got a shot to take the division. When playing div games down the stretch there really no easy w’s to be found, even the pads are a pesky group.

Giants and Rockies were actually couple teams I was considering putting a nl pennant future on. Lot of value if either can actually make the playoffs. Even w the machado move I still think the nl is pretty wide open for whichever teams manage to get into the playoffs, which of course figuring that out the tricky part. Lol.

Giants and Rockies were actually couple teams I was considering putting a nl pennant future on. Lot of value if either can actually make the playoffs. Even w the machado move I still think the nl is pretty wide open for whichever teams manage to get into the playoffs, which of course figuring that out the tricky part. Lol.

Giants have been so streaky all year...

I think they are a darkhorse here....

they just can't beat LAD or CHC in longer than a one-game playoff

I'm really looking forward to this race, hoping for someone other than LA but it should go chalk. I wouldn't be surprised if Hill is moved to the pen

Not sure I understand what the SF love is about, think they massively overachieved in the 1st half and absolutely suck on the road. Maybe I'm missing something but I think they battle with SD to avoid the cellar at the end of the day.

Not sure I understand what the SF love is about, think they massively overachieved in the 1st half and absolutely suck on the road. Maybe I'm missing something but I think they battle with SD to avoid the cellar at the end of the day.

I don’t love them, just think any outsider who sneaks in playoffs in nl would have shot to get to ws. only handful that really have that chance to sneak in, don’t trust or like cards to do it so looking at West teams on outside looking in. Not sure how they get worse in second half, maybe they overachieved as in they have heads above water even tho whole rotation been hurt? Surely they win more on road in 2nd half.

SF is deeper than most teams, but their bullpen is going to return to mediocrity and Bum is the only trustable starter

Gonna be tough for them to win games when they have to score 5 runs

SF is deeper than most teams, but their bullpen is going to return to mediocrity and Bum is the only trustable starter

Gonna be tough for them to win games when they have to score 5 runs

In other words they‘re baseball‘s version of UVA in March?

Back