NL East Betting Recap and Futures Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NL East Betting Recap and Outlook

The race for the NL East is inspiring worry in those who bet on favored Washington before the season. But with the first half of the season to evaluate, bettors can give NL East futures renewed consideration.

Odds to win NL East:

Phillies +150
Braves +160
Nats +200

MLB Pick: Philadelphia & Atlanta (.5 unit each)

Last season, the Nationals won their division by the second-largest margin. Consequently, they were heavily favored to win their division. Half-way through the season, Nationals backers are realizing that, at best, this season won’t be as easy for them. Washington is 48-48 and sits 5.5 games behind the first-place Phillies. The Nats have disappointed their backers on a game-to-game basis more than any other NL east team, yielding -17.9 units.

The Nats’ two biggest problems have been underachievement and injury. Their lineup has suffered numerous injuries, which affects its chemistry. The most notable pitcher injury was to Stephen Strasburg’s shoulder. Strasburg hasn’t pitched since June 8, but is rehabbing and expected to rejoin the rotation shortly after the All-Star Break. Strasburg wasn't performing as well. His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) is 1.15 higher than it was last season. He’s allowing twice as many homers per nine innings and a higher rate of hard contact. But, there’s room for optimism because his career second-half FIP is .35 lower than his first-half FIP. He really turns it on in the last month of the season, when his career FIP is 1.89. Last season, he allowed five runs combined in August and September.

So put Strasburg on your radar. Ace Max Scherzer should always be on your radar, but you should be careful with him because the juice that bettors are required to lay on him makes him a barely profitable pitcher. Look to be creative, going with possibly a first-half „under.“ A fascinating trend is that the „under“ is 6-0 in his starts against division rivals. Finally, Jeremy Hellickson has been a positive addition to Washington’s rotation. His numbers are way down from last season and he is Washington’s most profitable starting pitcher.

So when Strasburg returns, there will be some optimism for Washington’s starting rotation. But two factors make me want to refuse to lay chalk on this team: the lineup and the manager. Superstar Bryce Harper is batting .214, .105 lower than last season. Likewise, Daniel Murphy’s BA has dropped significantly from last season. Howie Kendrick had been a positive addition, but will probably miss the rest of the season (DL). The lineup is in need of some inspiration, but it won’t come from the manager, who shockingly didn’t punish Bryce Harper for not running hard to first base on a groundout. I think this is a serious managerial mishap that raises questions to his ability to positively influence and motivate his players. Perhaps the lack of leadership has encouraged Washington’s poor run, going 15-24 since June.

Two other teams that are easy to rule out are the Mets and Marlins. The Mets had an amazing start to the season, but are struggling for form. In any given week they are reliable to score fewer than two runs per game mostly because of how poor and injury-ridden their lineup has been. Evidence for how poor their lineup is consists in the fact that Jacob deGrom has an insane 1.68 ERA, but is only 5-4 in 19 starts. The Mets, like the Marlins, are 13.5 games back from first and show no hope.

The two candidates for a future bet must be Philadelphia and Atlanta. Both have been positive surprises, sitting among the top five most profitable teams and 11 games over .500. The Phillies have been an especially reliable home bet where they are 30-16, yielding +11.6 units. Aaron Nola leads the rotation both in ERA and units yielded. His team is still undefeated (9-0) in his home starts. Newcomer Jake Arrieta had been struggling, but is rediscovering his form, yielding two runs or fewer in each of his last three starts. Moreover, Zach Eflin, though he is suffering from recurring blister issues, has brought his FIP down from 6.10 last season to 3.02.

Outside of Philadelphia, though, I would be more hesitant to back this team because of its lineup, which lacks high-quality and reliable hitters. Its BA leader is Odubel Herrera, who is only batting .275. Herrera is streaky and inconsistent. His BA in April was .367, but in May it was .283, .236 in June and, finally, .216 so far in July. The Phillies rank ninth-to-last in runs scored per game away from home. But, if they land superstar Manny Machado, their lineup will receive a major boost. If they don’t, it will still be a very young lineup that shows promise for future seasons.

Atlanta is led by its top three starting pitchers, Mike Foltynewicz, Anibal Sanchez, and Sean Newcomb. Folty boasts a 2.66 ERA, but I don’t trust him in the second half because of how fortunate he’s been in the first half. His FIP is 3.38. He is surviving because he is stranding runners at an unsustainably high rate and is benefiting from a fortunately low opposing BABIP (batting average of balls in play) despite allowing a higher rate of hard contact. The same holds true of Newcomb, whose FIP is 4.14. Sanchez’s ERA is 2.73. He has been a positive addition because he is able to keep the ball on the ground. He has starkly reduced his opposing home run rate from last season and is yielding more grounders. One trend to note is that the „under“ is 8-0 when Sanchez is facing a right-handed starter.

The Braves rank seventh in runs per game and don’t suffer the same road troubles as Philadelphia. The lineup is led by two lefties, Freddie Freeman and Nick Markakis, who are batting over .300. Switch-hitter Ozzie Albies is third with a .281 BA.

So while the Nats will garner some kind of chance at winning the division, their below-average bullpen (in terms of FIP), team rhythm, and lineup raise too many doubts. The Phillies and Braves are both interesting with decent bullpens by NL East standards, a group of three strong starting pitchers, and high-potential lineups. Whereas Philly’s lineup carries a lot of youth that is waiting to blossom from more experience, the same can be said of Atlanta’s starting rotation. These teams stand neck-and-neck in the division standings and I would split a half unit on each team to cash in the big plus odds, so that you profit, if either team wins the division.

Last edited:
I hope this info is useful to somebody. Next up are NL Central and NL West. So if anybody would like me to research something about these divisions, feel free... (but obviously I will abuse my powers and focus on the Cardinals in NL Central)

Really pulling for the Braves here. Can they sustain for another 65-70 games? I dunno. I sure hope so though. Philly is solid. We've seen enough of Washington so bring on the new blood .

Really pulling for the Braves here. Can they sustain for another 65-70 games? I dunno. I sure hope so though. Philly is solid. We've seen enough of Washington so bring on the new blood .

I think braves gonna have to make a move or 2. They obviously need some help in the pen and could prob use a proven starter. Their offense is legit tho and can’t imagine they don’t at least add some pen help, I hear they looking for controllable guys opposed to rentals which certainly makes sense considering they a year or so ahead of when they planned on contending. Both teams look like they will be battling for east for years to come.

Those are the current odds to win east? Wow, that awful surprising to me, I have a hard time believing nats can overtake both the young upstarts.

Probably everyone will wanna jump on Nats at +200 lol

That really feels like a far more fair line tho considering they have 2 teams in front of them, granted both are young but both also have the prospect depth to help their squad before the trade deadline. I dunno, I think I would need that to even consider honestly cause I think it gonna be atl or phillies winning the east.

That really feels like a far more fair line tho considering they have 2 teams in front of them, granted both are young but both also have the prospect depth to help their squad before the trade deadline. I dunno, I think I would need that to even consider honestly cause I think it gonna be atl or phillies winning the east.

So you agree with me

So you agree with me

Seems so, im not much into futures but I would jump all over both if odds were what you had posted in your initial post! (Obviously I guess, lol).. At +150-160 no interest in tying money up long term on them cause I agree w initial post that taking both would be the way to go, just not worth the wait for the minimal return.

Seems so, im not much into futures but I would jump all over both if odds were what you had posted in your initial post! (Obviously I guess, lol).. At +150-160 no interest in tying money up long term on them cause I agree w initial post that taking both would be the way to go, just not worth the wait for the minimal return.

Yea makes sense. You can make +150 up in a game lol and if Nola gets injured or something you‘re sol! No value left here

Not to mention while I don’t like the nats they certainly capable of taking it so what you would have to risk to get any sort of worthwhile return in playing both atl and phillies just not worth it imo. You pretty much have to drop 5 bills minimum on both so risking a grand to potentially make 250ish on that in 3 months doesn’t make much sense for me.

Why would you have to risk so much for both? They‘re underdogs, you split a half unit on each you only need one to win to profit.

Yea idk why does it matter how small the profit is when it happens. I personally disagree that that‘s an issue, i‘ll gladly hope to have some subway money enter into my account that i had forgotten about lol

Yea idk why does it matter how small the profit is when it happens. I personally disagree that that‘s an issue, i‘ll gladly hope to have some subway money enter into my account that i had forgotten about lol

Risk vs reward and amount of time it tied up when it could be potentially being put to better use would be my answer. As I said I’m not big into futures anyways unless they offer fairly large returns on my investment so could just be me. Certainly nothing wrong w it tho, I know few guys that like them just cause it a way for them to have money coming back around that time. Lol.

I hope this info is useful to somebody. Next up are NL Central and NL West. So if anybody would like me to research something about these divisions, feel free... (but obviously I will abuse my powers and focus on the Cardinals in NL Central)

The Central is over and so are the Cardinals this season.

The Nats are the biggest chokers in baseball but I could still see them winning the division. I would pick Atlanta over Philadelphia unless the Phillies pick up Machado.

I will look into your meltdown angle when I sit down to write tonight

Both of our teams suck. The Cardinals play high school level defense and the Brewers have 3 automatic outs in the lineup every night besides the pitcher. I do look forward to your write ups which are entertaining and informative.

Both of our teams suck. The Cardinals play high school level defense and the Brewers have 3 automatic outs in the lineup every night besides the pitcher. I do look forward to your write ups which are entertaining and informative.

You forgot our middle-school level baserunning :) and thanks

Brewers do have a sick pen tho eh Jeffress, Hader, Knebel last time I checked. Maybe when Davies grows outta the baby face the rotation will be better

You forgot our middle-school level baserunning :) and thanks

Brewers do have a sick pen tho eh Jeffress, Hader, Knebel last time I checked. Maybe when Davies grows outta the baby face the rotation will be better

Hader is probably the best reliever in baseball, Jeffress has pitched great but has started to regress recently and Knebel is a roll a coaster ride nearly every time out. Problem is the bullpen is used way too often because Counsell yanks his starters too quickly even when they are pitching well.

i'm also looking forward to this race. I think WSH sucks, but they have far more talent than either of their opponents.

ATL can hit at the top, but they have some holes in the lineup and the bullpen is a concern. Newcomb has talent, but he's not consistent enough and who knows how long Anibal will keep it up. I trust him and Folty, who i really like, far more at this point

PHI plays terrible defense, has a really questionable pen besides Dominguez and can't hit. That's a bad combo

Scherzer/Strasburg/Gio/Roark is the best bet, though the last two have been terrible and the one before them is dealing with shoulder issues and who knows what that will lead to. The WSH bullpen is the best and will get deeper when Doolittle returns, plus everyday is a day closer to Murphy's full health

Back