Nick Swisher to the Yankees, Keving Gregg to Cubbies

wreck

Pretty much a regular
<inline1>The New York Yankees have acquired center fielder-first baseman Nick Swisher in a trade with the Chicago White Sox, baseball sources tell ESPN.com.</inline1>
Minor league pitcher Jeff Marquez is headed to Chicago in the deal, the sources said. It's uncertain if any other players are involved.
Swisher, 27, hit .219 with 24 home runs in 153 games with Chicago this season.

good trade for the Yankees. rarity.

The Chicago Cubs have acquired Florida Marlins reliever Kevin Gregg.

7206.jpg
Gregg

The Marlins received 21-year-old right-hander Jose Ceda in return.
Gregg, who was Florida's closer for most of the 2008 season, saved 29 games last season and was 7-8 with a 3.41 ERA. He blew nine saves for the Marlins in 2008. In 72 relief appearances for the Marlins last seasons, he held batters to a .203 average.
He is the fourth arbitration-eligible player traded by the Marlins this offseason, joining first baseman Mike Jacobs, who was traded to Kansas City, and outfielder Josh Willingham and starting pitcher Scott Olsen, who were traded to Washington.
What Gregg's role will be with the Cubs is unclear. Closer Kerry Wood is a free agent, and Chicago already has a top setup reliever in Carlos Marmol.
Greg joined the Marlins before the 2007 season in a trade from the Angels and had 32 saves in 74 relief appearances that year. He has an 18-21 major league record with 62 saves with a 4.00 ERA in 271 big league games -- all but eight in relief.
The right-handed Ceda was 4-3 with nine saves and a 3.83 ERA last season in minor league stints at Class A Daytona and Double-A Tennessee.
Thats just what the Cubs need, another meltdown waiting to happen in the bullpen.:popcorn:

I have it on good authority that neither of these moves intimidate the WFC nor do anything to stop them from becoming RWFC

T-Wreck,

I am a Yankees fan that COMPLETELY disagrees with this being a good trade for the Yankees. What role is Swisher going to play? He's not a great defensive player and the LAST thing this group needs is another lame-ass hitting, player who is awful with the glove.

Brian Cashman is lost and has been lost for quite a motherfucking while. If this is their answer to solving the horrid 1st base defensive problem, I'm going to motherfucking puke.

If Cashman weren't handed a World Series team that he could ride out the string with (and they are showing their signs of age) he would've been fired years ago, because he ALWAYS overrates his prospects and CANNOT evaluate free agent pitchers for shit.

This move is another in the mindless barrage of stupid moves he's made.

Wood's gone as a result of picking up Gregg...strange...that seems like a colossal downgrade to me...

Cubs close door on Wood after trading for Gregg from Marlins

ESPN.com news services
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --> <!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> <!-- end page tools --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs acquired right-handed reliever Kevin Gregg from the Florida Marlins on Thursday, a move than means closer Kerry Wood won't return.

Wood, the 1998 NL Rookie of the Year who saved 34 games this year, had been the longest-tenured player on the Cubs. General manager Jim Hendry said Wood was deserving of a three- or four-year deal and the Cubs are not prepared to offer him one.

In addition to Gregg, who was the Marlins' closer until the final month last season, Chicago also has a talented setup man in Carlos Marmol.

"We're just in a situation -- and Kerry fully understands -- that length of deal for the kind of salary that he could command right now is not our first priority," Hendry said during a conference call.

He said the Cubs need to finish their rotation -- they hope to bring back free agent starter Ryan Dempster -- and add offense.

"We felt it was time Kerry goes out and does what is best for him and his family and get a huge multiyear deal, if possible," Hendry said. "This is really the right thing to do. We've had some really honest conversations in the last week. We don't have to get into how much I think of him, but at the same time I don't think we could do for him right now what he deserves and what I think he'll get going elsewhere."

Wood made an immediate impact as a rookie when he struck out 20 Houston Astros in his fifth major league start. He had four double-digit win seasons for the Cubs, but his career has been sidetracked by elbow and shoulder injuries.

When it appeared his career might near an end because of shoulder problems, Wood returned to the bullpen in 2007 and won the closer's job last spring. He finished with a 3.26 ERA and a 5-4 record in 2008.

Gregg was acquired for minor league pitcher Jose Ceda.

Bothered by a sore left knee, Gregg finished 7-8 with a 3.41 ERA and 29 save. His nine blown saves tied for most in the majors.

Hendry said Gregg had knee surgery, will begin throwing in January and will be ready for spring training.

Gregg had a 10.13 ERA for August, but it was under 2.00 for every other month, including seven scoreless innings in September after he lost the closer job. He had 72 appearances and held batters to a .203 average.

The trade was not a surprise because Gregg is eligible for arbitration. He was the Marlins' highest-paid player in 2008 at $2.5 million.
<!-- next graf is not AP -->
He is the fourth arbitration-eligible player traded by the Marlins this offseason, joining first baseman Mike Jacobs, who was traded to Kansas City, and outfielder Josh Willingham and starting pitcher Scott Olsen, who were traded to Washington.

Gregg joined the Marlins before the 2007 season in a trade from the Angels and had 32 saves in 74 relief appearances that year. He has an 18-21 career major league record with 62 saves with a 4.00 ERA in 271 games -- all but eight relief.

The right-handed Ceda, who is only 21, was 4-3 with nine saves and a 3.83 ERA last season in minor league stints at Class A Daytona and Double-A Tennessee.

"Jose is a big, strong kid with a real live arm," Marlins GM Larry Beinfest said. "We think he can help us in the back end of our bullpen in the very near future, if not right away."

As if there wasn't already enough reason to hate the Yankees. Now they go and add one of my most hated players in the big leagues.

:hang: :whip:

i understand the trade...and on one level, i see why it makes sense.

but doesn't mean i agree with it being a good deal. it does say that they have no interest in tex though...

and after they get CC...there aren't any other SPs really worth the asking price. so i'm afraid they'll spend all that recently freed up money poorly again...

i take it all back...

just saw all the details, and it is a good deal. the 2 minor leaguers the yanks gave up are no where near their top 10 prospects. and betemit was there just so they could dump proctor to the dodgers.

so they give up a very average roll/bench player for a much better roll/bench player...and they give up 2 low prospects for 1 closer prospect with a higher ceiling than the 2 they gave up combined.

so wtf...the deal definitely doesn't hurt.

still don't think tex makes any sense for them to go after though...and obviously overpaying for CC is the top priority...beginning at 9PM pacific tonight.

on another front...
the halos are "turning the page" with k-rod, which was expected. they're the frontrunner for tex...and there's some talk they'd go after manny, partly to stick it to the dodgers.

Back