NHL Thursday

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Three plays tonight, looking for a 2 wins at least, expecting actually all 3 to cash in. We've had some very unlikely scenarios in our last NHL endeavor, the Jackets and the Flames played a highly physical game which had seen a lot of penalty minutes, but failed to capitalize on numerous chances in the last period. As far as the other play is concerned, the Pens playing at Madison Square Garden, the over was really never an option there since the Pens have seemingly been quiet all night, and Rangers neutralized them well. Under that light, we have several investments tonight which I consider to have a high possibility of cashing in.

Bruins ML (1.81) 6 units
over 5.5 (2.12) 4 units

This is a situational play as much as it is a play on the line. The Bruins should be a bigger favorite here if you ask me. They have been playing remarkably well in the last few weeks, and they'll have Tim Thomas, their main goaltender, back into the lineup. I do not expect a letdown here. They played well with Auld, and should be protective of Thomas before he generates some momentum. The team loves this guy, and the crowd will be fired up about it as well. The Bruins lost 2 out of last 3 but have no worries. This team is still hot. They lost to NJ and Ottawa, possibly two of the hottest teams around right now. They are still at home and will look to beat the Penguins, especially since they travel to Pittsburgh in two days time, which makes this a game to step up in for the Bruins.

The Pens are playing their last game on a huge road trip and after winning 7 in 8, they have now lost 3 out of last 4 games, and by a rather large margin as well. 2-8 to Philly, 1-4 to Ottawa, then beat the Isles 3-2, and lost in MSG, 0-4. These guys need to get back to the comfort of their home ice to regroup. After all, they've played 9 out of last 11 games on the road, and are looking forward to get home for a 4 game home stand and 6 home games out of their next 7. They will also be playing a back to back game in Pittsburgh tomorrow facing the Islanders who have dropped 8 out of last 10.
The Pens did the job already on this road trip. They will have their chance of beating Boston 3 days from now, at home. Also, playing 6 at home in the next period they'll have a chance to generate momentum, I don't see them stepping up big here. Sabourin seems to have cooled off big time after a great stretch, as I said, I believe, the Pens will have their shot at consecutive wins starting from tomorrow and on, why breaking their backs tonight for a game that they may not win considering how Boston has played lately, when they have such a great schedule ahead of them, spending holidays with their families. Also consider these guys are a bunch of kids eager to get home. A bunch of mega talented kids, but still very young players who are bumped and bruised following a long road trip.

Why the over? Well it's not a cover, but an additional bet. First of, 3 out of their last 4 encounters have went over this margin (the one that didn't was a 5-0 Pens win last season). The Bruins have Thomas between the pipes, and even though I expect them to be more protective of him before he shows he can carry them like before, with such talent in the Pens team, starring players that have fared well against them in the past, especially Crosby and Malkin, the over seems a logical choice. Sabourin hasn't been stellar lately, don't expect him to bounce back here. Also, the Pens have their own woes as well. Penalty killing has been subpar for both teams (ranking 26 and 29 respectively), whereas their PP units have been quite effective. I expect a 5,6-2,3 kind of game here.

Montreal ML (2.02) 5 units

The Habs have been a road team much more than a home one lately. They own one of the NHL's best road records in 2007-08, going 10-5-1 on the road, which is second only to Northeast Division-leading Ottawa in the Eastern Conference. Montreal, though, has gone 1-5-2 at the Bell Centre after starting the season 5-2-2 there. They begin a 6 game road trip tonight and they will look to start strongly. The Caps on the other hand, have played some great hockey lately, and this is no exaggeration, but I do think they're playing a bit over their heads right now. They're not a classic big hitting team, Montreal lacks size but has plenty of talented and speedy skaters. Montreal have won 5 out of last 6 against the Caps.

Good luck. :cheers:

I don't know what it is about the bruins: they always have great value, myself I thought they'd be greatly improved, I even figured they'd be 2nd in the division at the beginning of they year; Ive only backed them once this year and they came through. And yet I don't know why I always talk myself out of picking them. Good luck tonight Satyr.

thanks Santa, GL :shake:

Catfood, well I didn't back them much either, but I think this is a good spot for them to cash in, as I explained. I've had a tough time capping games in recent month or so, whether we're talking NBA or NHL regardlessly. It's just, for a lot of leans I have I talk myself out of it since the other team has a good case for them as well. But then again, you don't want it to be that one sided prior to the clash since it's no good either.

But this spot for Boston...I mean I don't know. If they fail to step up here I may well pack it in for the year or until February or something.

"You're not going to get anything if your competition level isn't there," said Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, who has been held without a point in four of his last six games after failing to score just twice in Pittsburgh's first 27 games. "I don't think we were ready to compete like we needed to."

I mean if the Pens win and it goes under as well, I really have to review my angles since that would be too much to handle really.

Back