NHL Thursday (with analysis and a small window to my capping)

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
It's early morning here, I'm capping games since I have a lot of time now as opposed to later, when I won't have nearly as much, so for once you're going to get early plays and thoughts from me.

Some of these were stats/thoughts/facts I came across while capping. That will display a small portion of how I cap games. Hope you will find it useful, feel free to post any kind of feedback, being positive or negative.

Pittsburgh - Toronto

First thing I noticed here is that the total is fishy, it's basically 7 at pk, or at Pinnacle (they move only odds, not margins), over 6.5 pays 1.75. Too chalky, and in my book, not playable. First of, if I ever take 1.75 on a total it means it's a very low total, typically 5. But these lines JUST opened not long ago and the odds are already set in this way. Two things:
Early action or the bookies set it this way on purpose.

I'd go with the 2nd option. Buyer beware.
Everyone expecting the over. Well between these two teams, the goal total has exceeded this margin in 4 out of last 5 times.
Which is encouraging for over backers. Want more?

• The Leafs are 8-2 on O/U this season (80%), all 8 times the margin exceeded 6.5 goals, even though not every time was it the actual margin.
    They only stayed under the total against the Senators and the Panthers.
  • Pittsburgh however, despite being processed as a "classic" over prone goal scoring machine team (due to their immense talent up front), they are "only" 4-4 as far as 6.5 is concerned (all their overs went way over (9, 10, 9, 7) and their unders stayed under (5, 5, 3 and 1, the last two (bolded) coming from their last two games, both wins (away against Washington (2-1) and at home against the Rangers (1-0)).
    Whether their defense is improving or not, it is hard to say, but it's a possibility that they have tweaked it and is now functioning way better.

One thing is certain though: the over here will be a popular choice, but smart cappers will lay it off. I know, these two teams have considerable firepower, but I don't like three things here:

• Way too chalky (it's basically a 7 goal margin @ pk, which is too high)
  • Pittsburgh coming off two consecutive mega-unders, BOTH WINS (could be indicative of how their game is developing)
  • Toronto have played 7 home games since October 6th, and only one road game (in Buffalo), now they're hitting the road for 3 days and will play 2 games during that period. It's a home-road switch despite NOT being b2b, and their 80% of overs is more than just peculiarity, despite their offensive mindset and terrible D, I would still call it an aberration.

As far as sides are concerned, do you really want to lay this amount of chalk on the home team? Or perhaps try a wild shot in the dark with a highly unreliable team in general, let alone on the road? One of them has to win, what I expect here is a low scoring home win, 2,3-1,2. I rarely back the under but this time it's definitely a play. Fading the most obvious, fading the public, fading the bad line...and loving the situational aspect.

PLAY(S): Under 6.5 goals (2.22 @ Pinnacle) 5 units

New York Rangers - New Jersey Devils

The Devils are still on the road, due to the fact their Arena isn't ready. However, look at it more closely. Are they really on the road in the classic term of "road"?
At first it was tough, lots of traveling, but since the 18th, they've been to Philly, then two days after in NY to play the Islanders (basically home), and now they've had 5 days to rest.

After 5 days of eating home cooking they're traveling - not that far. Only to Madison Square Garden, to meet the Rangers.
Yes, the slumping Rangers. Devils beat Florida, Atlanta and Pittsburgh. Hardly top class teams, but you have to give them SOME credit, they've been on the road for so long. It's obvious by now they don't have their trademark defense any more, we all remember the days with Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer and Rafalski, and Lemaire's neutral zone trap (it was invented before some of these players, but these guys put it into practice and took advantage of it). Brodeur is so talented he can be the third defenseman at times, passing the puck up front and finding open skaters.
Now it's only Brodeur. Others are either playing for another NHL teams or have retired.

They also gave Scott Gomez away, a veteran by now, and to the New York Rangers of all teams. But this new connection Drury-Gomez isn't working yet, and Jagr isn't as dominant as he used to be. He is still incredibly talented, one and only, but he's not the player he once was. He has only scored 1 goal in 8 matches, which marks his WORST season start ever.

Team chemistry is VERY poor. So far they've beaten only the Panthers and the Capitals. What a coincidence, the same two teams NJ beat. Rangers however, failed to beat Pittsburgh. What's the difference then? Rangers played THREE home games so far, winning two of them (Florida, Washington), dropping the one against Ottawa.

We've seen two nights ago how Edmonton's 2-1 record didn't mean anything when they came across a team which did only one thing better than they did, and that's scoring. Also Peter Budaj was great, but the fact remains the Oil are horrendous from the powerplay and find it difficult to find gaps in opponent's defense even when the opponent is shorthanded.

I would still rate NJ slightly above NYR judging by their performances so far. Not much, but slightly.

Now, we're coming to the crucial stat: the Devils LOVE playing in Madison Square Garden and against the Rangers in general, and are 13-7 in last 20 games against them. That's not as important. But the fact the Rangers have scored league low 13 goals, and the Devils not being in a classical road spot, I do not rate this game as a 59-41 game in favor of the Rangers, my projection would be near the 50-50 mark. Because these two teams are nearly as good? Nearly as bad would be more accurate perhaps. The value is on the Devils.

PLAY(S): Devils ML (2.37 @ Pinnacle) 5 units

Tampa Bay - Philadelphia

The Philadelphia Flyers finally - flew down from cloud nine. And what a painful landing it was. After falling behind 2-0 early to the Panthers, they managed to get back on only 10 shots (Panthers had 18 by that point), but Florida turned it up a notch and still won the game.
After Jay Bouwmeester's high hit, Simon Gagne left the game due to dizziness. He will be evaluated today for a possible concussion.
Philly.com reports:
The Flyers looked sluggish all night, including goalie Martin Biron.

And I say: it's no wonder. Biron has been phenomenal since the season has started, and a couple of games that Flyers ended up winning wouldn't have been wins had it not been for the excellence of Biron between the pipes. He was the best antidote for any kind of pressure from the opposing team, and after the team lowered their guard, the Flyers would start pouring goals in.
But it's a different story now isn't it? They're on the road again. They've opened the season on the road, went 2-1, beat Calgary and Vancouver (that 8-2 game) and lost to the Oilers (!) (not sure even the Thrashers are weaker than the Oilers)...then they won 4 straight at home and marked their best season start since 2002/2003.

But they're hitting the road and it's a different issue now, their chemistry has faded and they need to reinvent themselves. Not completely, since they're obviously doing something right (a lot of things I would say) but they can't ride the same wave any more.
And usually with teams in such spots, they feel a little bit of saturation after all these wins, comeback wins, dominating wins, any kind of wins.
They will still play good hockey, but I am counting on them to be less impressive during their road trip.

Who are they playing against? The Bolts. Some facts:

• Both teams are back to back, the difference being, the Bolts are in a road-home switch, and the Flyers are on the road, after a lackluster game against a worse team than they'll be facing tonight.
  • Neither Tampa Bay nor Philadelphia have played b2b games so far this season. Advantage home team.
  • Tampa Bay have won their 4 home games this season clean off, 4 games, 4 regulation wins, outscoring the opposition by 16 to 6 (NJ, ATL, FLA, ATL), not the strongest teams around, but the Bolts still did it in a convincing fashion.
  • Tampa Bay are 7-1 in last 8 games against Philadelphia, outscoring them 37-17. Might not be important to dig too much in the past, as those were different teams and different situations, but it is highly indicative that Philadephia rarely beats the Bolts.
  • Tampa Bay played a tough divisional match against the Capitals in Washington prior to tonight's clash, and lost after controlling a large chunk of 1st period and a part of 2nd. However at one point of the game their goalie Marc Denis became really insecure and allowed two goals, Tampa could only cut the lead to one, before allowing an empty netter with less than 10 seconds to play.
    This is a small downside of the bet, the fact they played a fierce division rival prior to tonight's clash, but that downside is canceled by the fact Johan Holmqvist (4-1-0, 89% sv pct, 2.61 GAA) is expected to be in the net tonight.
In my eyes the odds are highly affected by Philly's recent results but does not reflect this, relatively speaking, poor situation for them. Having Gagne questionable doesn't help the cause.

PLAY(S): Lightning ML (1.83 @ Pinnacle) 10 units

Other plays I considered (leans):

Nashville-Atlanta over 6. A lot of their totals landed on the spot (6) and frankly I'm not that interested in betting the game between two possibly the worst teams in the NHL.

Columbus I won't touch for a while. They manage to disappoint whenever they were expected to step up and vice versa.
Considered them over the Blues.

Anaheim should trash Phoenix who are rather lost, but I have this weird feeling this is a no bet game. Also, recent games show a lot of 1 goal games.

Small lean on the Blackhawks at this price but I won't bet it, too iffy to put it that way. I would however expect Chicago to either win this one or stay close. I still do not find the odds worth backing.

The Stars are favored in Los Angeles. Perhaps small value on Los Angeles here, as the Stars won't be able to engage into a high scoring game if needed, their cannons are still cold.

Anyways, that's it from me for Thursday. Feel free to comment. Good luck guys. :shake: :cheers:

Not sure if you were aware of it but it looks like Nittymaki will start in goal for Philly tommorow instead of Biron and he has really struggled against Tampa in the past...Good Luck with the card Satyr:cheers:

Wow great news CMoney...even better for my play, which is already a maximum one. Good luck tonight buddy. :shake: :cheers:

Tampa's wins (all at home) to this point have basically been against substandard teams (2 vs ATL, 1 vs FLA, 1 vs NJY - teams that are a combined 5-12-1 in road games, and all under .500 on the season individually). While Philly lost to Florida, that contest screamed letdown for them after a long stretch of home games. Going on the road for the first time in awhile against a team that doesnt inspire any fear, is the usual remedy for upsets in the nhl. Tampa maybe a straight .500, but theirs isnt a pretty record. Their goal difference is +3, to Philly's +15. If Gagne plays, I'll be on Philly.

And as a final thought, no road team has yet won a Tampa game. Shades of the Oils/Avs contest recently past.

BOL with the rest:cheers:

Quote from Toronto Star writer in last line of article today. "Optimism is one thing. But if these Leafs are posed to improve, the telltale signs are hidden incredibly well."
Team has lost 9 in a row on the road. Many by 1 goal. I understand your point. Fleury has started to play in a godlike fashion and they put this total up? The problem is the Toronto model has failed and its not clear you can expect rational adjustments. I am thinking some form of bet vs Toronto is less elegant but safer. NJ is a real possibility. Would expect Broduer to come up with a strong game with this much rest and the Rangers scream go against.
I bet 1 unit on Tampa Bay. Normally do not bet a game where I have not seen one of the goalies but it does fit the general theme that when a team has a long winning streak and it snaps then they will lose one of their next 2 games. Bottom line is I am unlikely to play the total, may do something with the Devils and have a moderate bet with you on Tampa. GL

@ BC

Yep, the Oil game did end up that way, but Edmonton is just very poor, I can't say the same about Tampa. After all, the Oil couldn't take advantage of numerous powerplays and their shot selection was very poor.

If Tampa's home record is a bit "stretched" (not as impressive when you look at it from close range), as a regular Flyers' backers during their homestand I have to say I felt pretty damn lucky they weren't 2 or 3 goals behind in some games. Then, only after they managed to live through the other team's momentum, they began their Flyer show, and started scoring (several games were like that).

I'd like to see them do that on the road, being down 2-0. It's all about value for me really, and my line here would not be bigger than 1.70 Tampa. And I love what Philly has done so far.

Anyways, GL tonight BC :shake: A bit surprised you will back Niittymaki whose shape is questionable, but nonetheless, GL :cheers:

@ Tuck

Great input, thanks :shake: That's a good point right there about Toronto. However, again, all about the line. Maybe I'm falling in a trap, maybe the books have me right where they want me, but you know what - I doubt it. People will look at this one and say COME ON, they scored 10 in their last encounter and they will do so now. They could, but 7? SEVEN? What is this, post lockout NHL?

BC is a man of trends and ending trends, I'm surprised he doesn't see Leafs' 80% O/U trend as an aberration soon to be corrected.

It is a rational play, but I may as well be wrong, since I'm not an expert for betting unders usually, I rarely do it, I can spot overs more easily, unders are tough to cap. You can have 18 minutes of defensive, 0-0 hockey, goalies both sizzling hot, then they score 2 in the last 2 minutes and the over is back on it's course.

Not to mention empty netters, powerplays, shorthanded goals, breakaways when under pressure and the attacking team barely expects it, after that they're of course pissed and will get that puck in the net no matter what :D.

So it's a tough thing to cap if you ask me.
With overs, you can hit the bet in the 2nd period, with unders you are just never safe, not enough margins for error.

However, this is a play I like, for the mentioned reasons. :shake:

GL

Good stuff satyr, I'm thinking this is a great 4 game home stand for the LA Kings with very beatable opponents: Nashville the other day, Dallas tonight, Edmonton and then Columbus. The only game I can see them losing is against Columbus. The Bluejackets seem to do well so far with the smaller, faster finesse teams or teams that don't have much of a physical game: big wins on the road against Buffalo and Chicago. Tonight I see Dallas as a very winnable game for LA; I see LA finishing higher than Dallas in the end.

One of my leans as well Catfood, who knows maybe I'll add them afterwards...

So far I'm going with this. :shake:

GL tonight man. :cheers:

You see why CTG is a great board? You can have a 23-12 W/L record and still have a guy who is way better than you :D

My God man...20-7...surreal :cheers:These are Hile-like numbers :smiley_acbe:

Thanks Satyr, you and I are certainly having great start of the season:shake:. Buffalo Bill is also having a great one although he may be hidden as he has only one thread. Lets keep the good times rolling:cheers: and good luck with your picks tonight.

this is great stuff- i am very green and am trying to learn as much as possible... thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts.

what is the source of your stats? is there a convenient location where you get all your info?

thanks!

In addition to the excellent info in this thread:

TB 11-1 last 12 against Phil, including 5-1 at home
TB 4-0 at home this season
TB 16-4 against Atlantic division opponents lst year, 1-0 this year

Tough game to call IMO. Lightning have ben playing some sloppy hockey lately. Feel better with Holmqvist in goal. Leaning TB.

Thanks Satyr, you and I are certainly having great start of the season:shake:. Buffalo Bill is also having a great one although he may be hidden as he has only one thread. Lets keep the good times rolling:cheers: and good luck with your picks tonight.

I will check him out. GL tonight :cheers:

this is great stuff- i am very green and am trying to learn as much as possible... thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts.

what is the source of your stats? is there a convenient location where you get all your info?

thanks!

Welcome aboard frankal :shake:, well there is no one source, I use sportsline, ESPN, NHL.com mainly, but also local newspapers and google when needed to find something. GL tonight :cheers:

In addition to the excellent info in this thread:

TB 11-1 last 12 against Phil, including 5-1 at home
TB 4-0 at home this season
TB 16-4 against Atlantic division opponents lst year, 1-0 this year

Tough game to call IMO. Lightning have ben playing some sloppy hockey lately. Feel better with Holmqvist in goal. Leaning TB.

Good luck whatever you decide to take. GL tonight ATP :shake: :cheers:

Wow, the Devils were 2.37 and are now 2.51...not a good sign perhaps...any idea why is that...

Brodeur is starting...

It seems Philly will be without Gagne. Good news for TB backers. Hope Simon will be ok soon though...

I am on the Tampa and the Under with ya. I am hearing too much in the local news about NY that I just want to stay away from them.

Also made a play on the Wild

good luck tonight satyr

Green, good luck tonight, let's get them. Btw, Wild should hit since Oil are just plain awful but I hope you are aware of Minny being on b2b, after dropping a 3-0 lead in Calgary...

Also:

MINNESOTA WILD - *Right Wing Pavol Demitra (10/25, strained adductor muscle/groin) is expected to miss Thursday's game against Edmonton.

However...

EDMONTON OILERS - Defenseman Joni Pitkanen (10/24, knee surgery) is expected to miss four weeks.
They also have Souray out which cripples them even more.

Wow, the Devils were 2.37 and are now 2.51...not a good sign perhaps...any idea why is that...

Brodeur is starting...

I guess everybody's anticipating NY to explode offensively. I watched the rangers-Pittsburgh game and the rangers did everything right except score (they hit 3 posts I think), but the more I watched the more I knew the rangers wouldnt score, and the only goal they gave up was on the powerplay. Jagr is sulking cause he lost his centreman Nylander, he can be a big baby when he wants and the mood in NY must suck. I think you made the right call with NJ but one can get weary of fading the rangers, just like fading the canucks cause one of these days Luongo is liable to put a string of shutout hockey.

That's under for ya. 2 after 2 periods, then 5 goals in what, 16 minutes?

I'm just not an under bettor. Anyways, I don't regret taking the under, I think it was the correct play.

Devils just couldn't step up, never looked like into this one really...

Bolts saved the day.

-1.7 units. I'll take it, hey, not like I have a choice :D

respect

hey satyr,

I give much respect to you for showing up to make a posting after a loss. Unfortunately, 95% of members on all sports boards love to brag about their victory immediately after a win but disappear for the night after a loss.
:cheers:

hey satyr,

I give much respect to you for showing up to make a posting after a loss. Unfortunately, 95% of members on all sports boards love to brag about their victory immediately after a win but disappear for the night after a loss.
:cheers:

Thanks man. Well you know, I'll take it. If my losing days will look like this, and so far they have (thank God :smiley_acbe:), -1.7 units, -2-3 units, then having these +10,20, even 30 unit days, that's fine with me, all part of capping. I know I can improve my skills as time goes by, I am only 23 after all, I think I'll be better when I'm 30 or 40 :D, but I'm fine hitting 110% ROI, and losing days are a part of that :D.

I will never understand Hile79, who hit almost 70% in MLB season or now Catfood who is officially on a TEAR (21 wins of 28 bets :eek: ), these guys are something else. I'll hit my 53-57 and make a few hundred units...I'm fine with it :cheers: and I've been on betting forums long enough not to post to brag around.

:shake:

Satyr is something else, I mean look at all them green records'an_horse'. Good call on Tampa bro.

And great call on LA Kings buddy! You are ROLLING! Great stuff:cheers:money;

One more thing I need to say. This under was EXTREMELY unlucky, but it kinda compensates for some of those overs I've hit and were lucky as well, some empty netters, some had 3 goals scored in their last 11-12 minutes, so it's a part of the game, you can't always win.

Back