NHL Saturday

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Coming off a tough Friday, not so much the loss of units as the way of losing it. Huge shot advantage (41-21 in regulation) for the Flames, a couple of 5-on-3 powerplays, a disallowed goal...and then the Avs score in OT, after tying it up on their powerplay with a few minutes left. Frustrating is an understatement.

But let's try to do better tonight shall we (that won't be hard considering I went 1-3 last night) :smiley_acbe:

Devils fans will have a big night, as their team will finally move into their new Arena, and their first guests will be the Senators. A huge clash, the fans will invade the building hoping for a great game and a win by their team.
The Devils (3-5-1) have spent first 3 weeks of the new season on the road, and played nine games in the process.
In a way, this will be a road game for both teams, the new Prudential Center will be packed by Devils fans and that's the only difference. The Devils have a new, different outlook this season, they're not a defense-first team any more, they're looking to score and to apply pressure up front. That's why this total is too low.
Also look for the Devils to step up offensively, after being shutout twice in their last three games, recording three straight losses.
The Senators, on the other hand, have opened the season well and should be able to engage into an offensive battle with NJ as they would against any team that doesn't play some modified zonal defense, which NJ doesn't do any more. Furthermore, Brodeur has a 3.30 GAA.
Two opportunities for us to cash in here.

Senators (-1,5) (2.93 @ Pinnacle) 5 units
Over 5.5 goals (2.24 @ Pinnacle) 5 units

Another goalfest expected in this one. The Isles have so far stayed under in 3 out of their 4 home games, but went 3-1 to the over on the road. That's a small aberration soon to be evened out.
The Isles have scoring potential and they should show it against the Canes. I love the spot here for both teams, and here's why:
The Isles, if we're going to judge them by this season's patterns (which are small and limited but still shows how the team works), they had a 5 day rest after losing to Toronto and Philadelphia (both on the road), while outscored 13-2.
They came back strongly, with two wins, scoring 9 goals in the process. Both games went over. Now they had 7 days to rest and will play in front of their fans again and it obviously is a good spot for them offensively.
Another aberration connected to the Islanders: their special teams rank 1st (PP) and 2nd (PK) in the league. Despite the fact we're talking about a solid team, I don't expect them to keep these numbers.
Their PK units have been impressive: Rick Di Pietro has led them to a 90.9 penalty kill percentage - among the best marks in the league. DiPietro, though, is just 5-7-0 with a 3.02 GAA in 12 career games against the Hurricanes.
Canes' Ward has been stellar against NYI, with a 4-1-0, 2.01 GAA mark in five games against them.
Ward, however, had to be pulled last night against Montreal, after allowing 5 goals in the 1st period. Who knows if he gets the start today, or will Grahame get the nod. Too early to say.
In all honesty, I see Islanders' PK units first to be "dethroned", the Canes have several scoring threats, and they're back to back after last night's disaster against the Habs.

over 5.5 goals (1.87 @ Pinnacle) 8 units

Everything that was said about Islanders' special teams, cannot be said for the Oilers' ones, especially their powerplay, which is last in the league. Their penalty kill has also been better at home than on the road, and it's hard to see them coping with one of the teams that has considerable offensive talent and has seemingly found their rhythm.
LA has managed to completely outclass Nashville (6-0) and beat a team they usually lose easily to, the Dallas Stars. And that's after they were down 1-0.
I'm thinking their confidence has to be at an all time high as far as this team is concerned, quite a young bunch starting to click in all areas.
The Oilers are fighting, trying to overcome another poor period for them, but it's not easy. This team has completely changed their outlook since reaching the Stanley Cup finals two seasons back.
The Kings are too talented for this bunch, and they're at home, in a better spot. I see them winning this one, and I love their chances of getting a multi-goal win.

Kings (-1,5) (2.78 @ Pinnacle) 10 units

Leans:
Montreal ML
Columbus ML
Coyotes ML

Good luck tonight guys. :shake: :cheers:

Gerber is expected to start for Ottawa, contradicting news about Ward and Grahame for the Canes, Garon could start for Edmonton against his former team.

Good news for Blues backers as well, Brent Johnson is likely to get the nod.

Good news for Blues backers as well, Brent Johnson is likely to get the nod.

Blues 2-0 off a loss this season
Blues 2-0 at home off 1-2 days rest
Washington lost 3-7 in their only road B2B game (Johnson starting)

plenty of good news for Blues backers

I love the way it started, Ottawa cashing in and the over at Nassau.

Now rooting for the multi-goal win for the Kings.

:cheers:

Back