NHL Playoffs: Round 1

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
First of let me start with my NHL playoff betting psychology. Recent years have taught me not to directly project regular season trends, team strengths or momentum to the postseason.
The playoffs are a different animal, and we should treat it that way.

So here are my thoughts and bets:

EAST

Buffalo Sabres (1) - NY Islanders (8)

The most one sided series in my eyes. Di Pietro is bruised after a concussion, and the Isles are playing on fumes right now, following a dramatic effort to clinch postseason.
The Sabres, on the other hand, are focused on the playoffs for months now, after already doing the job when regular season is concerned last year, and falling short in the playoffs, because we have to be honest, anything less than a Stanley Cup is a letdown, as the players say themselves in numerous interviews.
When betting is concerned I don't think we have any great chance of making the dough here. Waiting for the opening game to be played (leaning Buffalo PL there of course), we'll be smarter on what to do then perhaps.
Projection: 4-1 Sabres.
Bets: none (yet).

New Jersey Devils (2) - Tampa Bay Lightning (7)

The clash of two hockey philosophies. The defensive side always gets my nod, but this time Tampa has their assets, which can't be overlooked. Despite poor goalie duo, as both Denis and Holmqvist have failed to boast consistent numbers, the Devils have scoring woes at times, and if at ANY moment this series becomes a scoring fest, or the offense gets the chance to decide the winner, I think Tampa will do the job. With guys like St Louis, Lecavalier, Richards and Boyle, they have their chances.
However, as EVERY time in professional sports, when pus comes to shove I'm going with the defense, this case rock solid Devils' D and Martin Brodeur.
Projection: Devils 4:3
Bets: none (yet)

Atlanta Thrashers (3) - New York Rangers (6)

History should be made here, I honestly think the Thrashers will win their first playoff series.
Both teams have scoring threats of their own, Rangers have the physical side, they're tougher, but the Thrashers have one timer wizard Ilya Kovalchuk, and a younger core.
The key to this one could be Jaromir Jagr. Remember last year when he got injured, NJ did the job without breaking a sweat, this time could be similar. Still, I think the Thrash will do the job here.
I see this one as a tight series, but I also think the fans won't see game 7 here.
Projection: 4-2 Thrashers.
Bets: series: Thrashers (1.91 @ Pinnacle) 3 units.
Game 1: over 5.5 goals (2.20 @ Pinnacle) 5 units.
Loving the plus money here.

Ottawa Senators (4) - Pittsburgh Penguins (5)

Love the young Penguins, the fact all 3 of their top players are 20 year olds, plus a young Fleury between the pipes, deserves huge respect. But I think the Sens will do the job here, even though I'm not a big fan of Ottawa, and I'm already a fan of these Penguins.
Basically an experienced, more hard nosed side should take this one. Plus, Emery has been solid.
Projection: Senators 4:2.
Bets: series: Senators (1.60 @ Pinnacle) 5 units.

Paradoxically, I'm actually leaning the Penguins in game 1, I think they fall later on, meaning I could scratch this bet and wait for better odds if they drop game 1.

WEST

Detroit Red Wings (1) - Calgary Flames (8)

Love the surprise to occur here. The thing is, despite the Wings being seen as huge favs, I disagree. Their record is affected a lot by easy divisional opposition, and they're known playoff chokers.
Now they don't have the leader in Steve Yzerman and the physical side of Shanahan, and I think they fall short in round one.
I know, the Flames have just clinched postseason in the last week, they have a huge disparity in road/home performances, and Kipper isn't what he used to be, but I think he will step up huge here, plus I don't think Bertuzzi and the Wings will be able to disrupt Calgary's D by blocking Kiprusoff's view, even though dominating that area would mean a lot of danger for Calgary.
Still, these are the Flames we're talking about, they have some tough defenders, they're overall a very hard working, fast skating team, and are still quite under the radar, I love the back those.
Iginla, Conroy and Huselius should do the job.
The Wings have it all, but I see a letdown.
Plus Kipper has been for Calgary what Brodeur is for NJ, a playmaker from their own zone, setting up plays and finding the skaters.
Projection: Calgary 4:3
Bets: series: Calgary (3.29 @ Pinnacle) 3 units.
Might go with an upset in game 1 as well.

Anaheim Ducks (2) - Minnesota Wild (7)

If you ask me, this one is a coin toss. Both teams are extremely talented (Anaheim with an edge though), but I didn't like what I saw in recent weeks, and I don't think they have the power to just shift to playoff mode immediately. Minny have a lot to offer as well, with Backstrom hot, also Fernandez ready to grab his chance if needed, if Minny manage to take home ice from the Ducks, I think they win this one. The Wild are 29-7-5 at home this season.
Projection: Minnesota 4:3
Bets: series: Minnesota (2.57 @ Pinnacle) 4 units.

Vancouver Canucks (3) - Dallas Stars (6)

Don't get me wrong, I love my Stars, but I think this could be the year of the Vancouver Canucks. I absolutely LOVE their balance, their chemistry, ability to close games, and to win games that are going down the wire and even OT.
They have Luongo between the pipes, I think he will rise to the occasion, plus a very balanced defense with Salo, Mitchell, Bieksa and Ohlund, several guys who can step up when secondary scoring is concerned which I think will be HUGE (Cowan, Morrison, Pyatt), and team leaders Sedin brothers, with Naslund up front.
The Stars aren't to be underestimated, but the fact Turco has choked EVERY TIME in the playoffs so far, and some feeling I have inside about another mediocre postseason, I really think the Nucks will do the job.
Projection: Vancouver 4:2
Bets: none so far.

Nashville Predators (4) - San Jose Sharks (5)

Quality wise this clash is the strongest. Whoever advances here will immediately emerge into a huge favorite to win it all. We could write a mile long post here about both teams and still end up locked at a standstill.
Projection: none.
Bets: none.

Some futures:
Predators (11.00) 1 unit
Sharks (14.00) 1 unit
Canucks (13.00) 2 units
Flames (conference finals: 16.00) 1 unit

Regular season:
NHL 2006/2007: 23 W - 21 L +27.55 units.

Good luck guys. :cheers: :smiley_acbe:

Last edited:
Looks good to me Satyr. I might not make one play on that Rangers series. Unless the style / lines dictate it. I just dont know... GL in the playoffs man

Very tense Minn Anaheim series. Think the winner here takes the West and am hoping its Minn. GL

Nice writeup Satyr. Just one thing though, Atlanta is not that young, they got quite a few veterans, in fact it wouldnt surprise me if the Rangers had the younger squad. Good luck in the playoffs!

I want to see the pace before I make any plays in the Pitt series with totals etc. Wont see many 6.5, until maybe game 6 or 7 if it goes that deep

ATL - NYR over 5.5 goals (2.20 @ Pinnacle) 5 units

Ok, can someone explain this plus money to me here? Ok I would understand it had the line been 6.5, PERHAPS even 6, but 5.5?
The teams played 4 games this season and split the total 2-2: 2-1,3-1,5-4,2-5, from Atlanta's point of view. Both teams have solid goalies, but how much real playoff experience do they have? On the other hand, I would expect this game to start slow, cautious, but once someone scores it's drop the gloves time and I don't mean just fighting, both teams will want to snatch a win in game 1 and frankly I expected far worse odds and worse line.
Both teams have the firepower to exceed this margin.

Sabres (-1,5) (1.95 @ Pinnacle) 4 units

The puckline option isn't the wisest to be chasing in the playoffs, but if any game is worth it, it's the Sabres v Isles. Same as SantaCapper, I believe this one will be a blowout, then when everyone settle in with thinking Buffalo will sweep, think again, the Isles come back in game 2 and take it to OT. Ok now, I'm wild guessing a bit, but this Sabres bet is a well founded investment, the Sabres are focused and fired up and the Isles have clinched the playoffs with the last train, and are now torn whether they should start Dubielewicz, who has been hot, or Di Pietro who is obviously a big game player but might need some time to shake off the rust coming off a concussion.
All in all, I expect a fast, dominating and convincing start by the Sabres.
4-1 pops into mind.

I don't like Calgary ML odds at the moment, and will leave it at 3 units on Flames to advance, won't touch game 1.
Leaning the under though.

I'll post all my 1st round plays here in this thread. I took a small break, but I'm back in action tonight.

Bolts (2.14 @ Pinnacle) 5 units

Tampa are definitely in the zone right now, they're playing very well and with Holmqvist finding form they have definitely excelled to the task way more than these Devils. To be honest I'm surprised at the fact the Bolts are home dogs here, I wouldn't be so sure the Devils will tie it up at this point.
I like Tampa's offense to keep rolling in this one and snatch another W, Brodeur isn't the X factor he was supposed to be, doesn't mean he'll be shaky again, he's a fantastic goalie, but overall I wouldn't rate Devils to be favorites tonight at all.

Flames (2.24 @ Pinnacle) 5 units

Normally this would qualify for more than 5 units but I won't force it this time, I was on TB last night and even though it lost (in OT) taking home dogs that finally picked up their game isn't the worst idea out there let me tell you.
The Flames are back into this one, whether some would like to admit it or not, with a win here they would be fully in the race.
They have Regehr, Phaneuf and Warrener bruised but they're all expected to play tonight, Regehr is questionable but it seems his replacement Giordano filled his boots well in Game 3, not only because of the goal he scored.
The Flames are one of the strongest home teams in the league and I actually think these injuries and defensive shuffles might provide an additional spark and ultimately, shift the momentum to the Flames' side.

Ottawa - Pittsburgh over 6.5 (2.10 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

Not much to say here really, I expect both teams to step up here in the scoring department, and even though I have no leans sides wise, I love the dog price here, despite the high line. After two unders I'm ready to hop on back to the over bandwagon.

NHL Regular season: 2006/2007: 23 W - 21 L +27.55 units.

Bets: series: Thrashers (1.91 @ Pinnacle) 3 units.
Game 1: over 5.5 goals (2.20 @ Pinnacle) 5 units.(+6)
Bets: series: Senators (1.60 @ Pinnacle) 5 units. (+3)
Bets: series: Calgary (3.29 @ Pinnacle) 3 units.
Bets: series: Minnesota (2.57 @ Pinnacle) 4 units.

Sabres (game1)(-1,5) (1.95 @ Pinnacle) 4 units (+3.8)
Bolts (game 4) (2.14 @ Pinnacle) 5 units
Flames (game 4)(2.24 @ Pinnacle) 5 units (+6.2)

Some futures:
Predators (11.00) 1 unit
Sharks (14.00) 1 unit
Canucks (13.00) 2 units
Flames (conference finals: 16.00) 1 unit

Update after 1st round:

NHL 2006/2007:
27 W-27 L +29.55

Two futures pending:
Sharks (14.00) 1 unit
Canucks (13.00) 2 units

nevermind me, just updating some shit :D.

forgot to put:
Ottawa - Pittsburgh over 6.5 (2.10 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

adding(Canucks lost, so I can grade it)
Canucks (13.00) 2 units

Round 2 (so far only 1 play: Sabres (-0.5) (1.87 @ Pinnacle) 5 units)

1 future pending:
Sharks (14.00) 1 unit.

NHL 2006/2007 (overall) 28 W - 29 L +28.9 units

Just updating, I'll keep posting my plays in other threads, this was just for tracking purposes. :shake:

Back