NHL off-season..

Teams with a ton of pressure coming into next season who have been making tons of moves, drafting elite players but never making the playoffs:

Detroit
Buffalo

Buffalo I think is in with Lindy Ruff back. It's almost like the Laviolette effect - he will turn things around immediately. Every time I watched the Sabres I saw an immense amount of talent on the ice, with zero structure or idea of how to play team hockey.

Teams out of playoffs next season:

Capitals
Islanders

Last edited:
Teams with a ton of pressure coming into next season who have been making tons of moves, drafting elite players but never making the playoffs:

Detroit
Buffalo

Buffalo I think is in with Lindy Ruff back. It's almost like the Laviolette effect - he will turn things around immediately. Every time I watched the Sabres I saw an immense amount of talent on the ice, with zero structure or idea of how to play team hockey.

Teams out of playoffs next season:

Capitals
Islanders
I agree that Detroit's a team on the come, but I don't see that they have enough to be a sure thing for the playoffs. They'll battle for a wild card spot again probably but that roster is not deep enough to be a top tier team. Forward depth is not great, defense is so-so and goaltending, well, I guess they could catch lightning in a bottle but I'm not seeing it.
Buffalo intrigues me and Ruff is a great coach, but same issues in that they're not deep enough. I'm not sold on Levi either in the net as going to be great.
I think Ottawa could be a playoff team and another team that interests me is Philly. Maybe they over boxed their weight last year, but Torts gets the most out of players and they have a few younger guys that could push this team to playoff fringe.
Caps and Pens definitely on the decline. Old, getting older and honestly, I don't think either of them are very good.

You have to figure the Devils are going to be back in the playoffs as well this year. Should be healthy and did a LOT to sure up that leaky defense, getting Markstom, Pesce and Dillon. That's a marked improvement.

Rangers done shit this offseason other than dumping Goodrow and signing Carrick to be a fourth liner and grabbing Reilly Smith to eat up some 3rd line ice time. That's fine as this team was good last year, but they need to get a bit better. Free Agent class wasn't great and everyone just about was an overpay in my opinion. Stammer gets 32 million for 4 years? Way too much. Tanev got a deal to bring him to playing at 40. Guentzel's contract was about at market, but he's not that young anymore either, that contract will be paying big money an undersized winger into his mid-30's. And Wenneberg got $5M/year? ffs he's a 4th line center with 3rd line upside.
Rangers need to do a few things if possible.
-Convince Igor he doesn't need to be the highest paid goalie ever so that the team can remain competitive for the next 4-5 years. I don't want to pay him $13M/year for the next 7-8 years. Not sure how it's going to work out, but 6 year, $60M would be great extension.
-Get rid of Lindgren. He's already asking for a 6-7 year contract. He's a small, physical defensemen who is always playing hurt and offers nothing on offense. If he wants a 4 year, $18M contract, fine, otherwise let's move on please
-No one is taking Trouba's contact from the Rangers and although I think Trouba is WAY better than Ranger fans think he is, at least I can accept you don't want to be paying that much money to a #5 defenseman. So, Rangers would need to a) retain some of that contract, b) add a sweetener like Kakko and c) probably take on some shit in return. They're not going to waive him or buy him out. Anaheim may be a partner there, but I have a feeling that team is on his no trade clause list.

Carolina lost a good bit. To me, they weren't the same after Pesce's injury early on in the playoffs. Peace, Skjei, Noesen, Teravainen, Guentzel all gone. Still shopping Necas.

Seems hard for me to believe they are anything but lower tier wc contenders.

Carolina lost a lot yes, and I still don't believe in their goaltending, but they are still miles better than most teams in the east - probably still top 5, imho.
Florida lost a lot, TB lost a lot, Bruins lose guys every year. It's a battle of attrition. Carolina still has 5-6 forwards in their mid 20s, added Carrier, Fast will be back and I'm sure they're going to get a nice return for Necas, or else he'll be back. Defense is getting a little old in the tooth, but Walker and Ghost are plug and play new guys to take the place of Pesce and Skjei

Buffalo intrigues me and Ruff is a great coach, but same issues in that they're not deep enough. I'm not sold on Levi either in the net as going to be great.

You’re right about the depth, but what team doesn’t need depth? The Sabres are still pretty young and have the blue line locked up for a decade with Dahlin and Power plus the rest of the crew back there.

The good news for the Sabres is that they don’t need to be sold on Levi yet either as UPL was unbelievable last year. He’s always had the talent, just needed to play and have the confidence…and he should have that now going forward. They’re in a good spot with those two in net. Levi also had a great year in the AHL, and got the playing time he needed as opposed to backing up UPL last season.

Tage Thompson also appeared hurt all year. And yeah, on paper, there looks to be a ton of overpayment, but cap will continue to go up, and those cap hits won't be as bad. Ron Francis seems to be panicking after everyone knew he was far too conservative coming out of the expansion draft.

1719945261133.png

Tage Thompson also appeared hurt all year. And yeah, on paper, there looks to be a ton of overpayment, but cap will continue to go up, and those cap hits won't be as bad. Ron Francis seems to be panicking after everyone knew he was far too conservative coming out of the expansion draft.

View attachment 85440
Ok obviously I’m a homer but…..

Who else were the Blackhawks going to realistically get to let Arvid Soderblom (goalie) have more work at the AHL level? Is Brossoit going to Vezina? No, but it’s clear the Hawks are adopting the “best defence is a good offense” strategy, which brings me to Alec Martinez, again not the sexiest acquisition of the off season. But look at the blue line issues? We’ve got Korchinski and 2 other guys (names I can’t think of) fighting for 1 spot. I think Korchinski has the highest ceiling but maybe not the most ready.

kinda funny though we went from a super young team to a kind of old team in a day.

The Seth Jones (BOOOOOOO) deal is terrible and we’re paying dearly for it.

Ok obviously I’m a homer but…..

Who else were the Blackhawks going to realistically get to let Arvid Soderblom (goalie) have more work at the AHL level? Is Brossoit going to Vezina? No, but it’s clear the Hawks are adopting the “best defence is a good offense” strategy, which brings me to Alec Martinez, again not the sexiest acquisition of the off season. But look at the blue line issues? We’ve got Korchinski and 2 other guys (names I can’t think of) fighting for 1 spot. I think Korchinski has the highest ceiling but maybe not the most ready.

kinda funny though we went from a super young team to a kind of old team in a day.

The Seth Jones (BOOOOOOO) deal is terrible and we’re paying dearly for it.
I don't think we need to look too hard into some of the Blackhawks moves concerning that chart. Looks like some basic stop gap signings as they develop the core. Alec Martinez is a great addition for mentorship.

I don't think we need to look too hard into some of the Blackhawks moves concerning that chart. Looks like some basic stop gap signings as they develop the core. Alec Martinez is a great addition for mentorship.
Agreed 100000000%

Stop gap is a great phrase to use.

There’s no secret Bedard is the center piece, this upcoming season will be #2, a WC spot might be a bit much to ask for but I hope that their logo is always in the “In the Hunt” category when talking playoffs.

Year 3 if they don’t make it they better be VERY close.

Year 4, better make it or have a damn good reason as to why.

Carolina lost a good bit. To me, they weren't the same after Pesce's injury early on in the playoffs. Peace, Skjei, Noesen, Teravainen, Guentzel all gone. Still shopping Necas.

Seems hard for me to believe they are anything but lower tier wc contenders.
Carolina can't do anything unless they get a legitimate goalie. They thoroughly dominated the Rangers and only lost because of Igor being the best in the league and Anderson being total trash. Brindamour is the best coach in the league and he can overcome those losses but no coach can overcome terrible goaltending every night.

Carolina doesn't have one star player and they have AHL level goaltending. On paper that team is as average as it gets yet he has them contending every year.
100%, and always at the top of advanced metrics, in many areas.

However, Vegas had Logan Thompson and Adin Hill in the net when they won the cup with Cassidy.

Trouba has three options; go home to Detroit, go on waivers and hope you don't get picked by a team like San Jose, or if you clear waivers start searching for homes in Hartford where you will be residing in the AHL.

Brock Faber just got paid. That's a big contract for a 21 year old. Not sure I love it.
Necas just re-upped in Carolina. 2 years, 6.5/year. I was hoping the Rangers may have made a play for him, but without being able to move Trouba's salary off the books, was never going to happen.

Sam Rosen to retire after this season. Pretty much been the voice of my beloved rangers for my lifetime. He was a total homer and was great. When he was with JD that was definitely the pinnacle as Davidson was an astute analyst and Rosen a very good play by play guy.
That said, the last few years have not been that kind. It happens. People get old and not as sharp and fast. Hope he enjoys his retirement as well deserved.
Said it before but Steve Valiquette is a very very good analyst and would mind seeing him in the booth. Not sure michelliti is good enough to keep.

Sam Rosen to retire after this season. Pretty much been the voice of my beloved rangers for my lifetime. He was a total homer and was great. When he was with JD that was definitely the pinnacle as Davidson was an astute analyst and Rosen a very good play by play guy.
That said, the last few years have not been that kind. It happens. People get old and not as sharp and fast. Hope he enjoys his retirement as well deserved.
Said it before but Steve Valiquette is a very very good analyst and would mind seeing him in the booth. Not sure michelliti is good enough to keep.
Absolutely love Sam and him with JD was fantastic. As far as Micheletti is concerned I've never been a fan and would like them to dump him. Maybe he can work for Drury at his pizza shop when the clown is fired as the GM after next season.

Training camp starts next week, in no particular order….

Max Pacioretty
Tyson barrie
Sammy blais
Jakob Vrana
Austin Watson
Tyler Johnson
Tanner person
Steven Lorentz
Kailer Yamamoto

All On PTOs

Igor supposedly turned down 8 yrs 88 million. Rangers either give in or just trade him and anyone else with value and start another rebuild hopefully without pizza boy running it. Without this goalie this is a non playoff team and for that reason they will sign him for whatever he wants.

Back