NHL Handicapping Discussion

matteson83

Pretty much a regular
I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for the last few nights. I have for the most part been tailing you guys due to the inconsistencies in my capping abilities. What process do you guys use on a daily basis in capping the NHL card? Where do you start? Where do you get your stats, lines, info? Do you look at the lines and find value then cap those games?
I need to discipline myself into a process and im looking to you guys for input and advice. There is a good group of cappers here in the NHL forum, hopefully you guys can help me develop my capping skills.

Very good idea matteson83, I need to discipline myself too and I will also appreciate any advice...to improve my capping!
I really appreciate this forum, but my knowledge in NHL is very poor, I use to cap on Swiss hockey, but my average so far for the new season is very low: 50%...!

we did this last year....it woulda eventually started up again; but good on ya for thinking about it!

just a heads up, the next game for the hawks, i will be playing pretty big...the reason being is that with denis savard being fired, the record is sometrhing crazy in favour of the team with the new coach to win the first game...it happened with bruce broudeau and the caps last year and this year we get the hawks with a a new coach..

Should be a great discussion. This is the one sport that I have little confidence in myself in regards to ... well because the results havent been good over the years but i am interested in learning what angles you guys find msot useful.

just a heads up, the next game for the hawks, i will be playing pretty big...the reason being is that with denis savard being fired, the record is sometrhing crazy in favour of the team with the new coach to win the first game...it happened with bruce broudeau and the caps last year and this year we get the hawks with a a new coach..

I seem to remember it happening to the Flyers in 06-07 when Hitchcock was fired after 6 or 7 games too. Its a nice trend to follow.

As the season gets a little older I like to look at possible fatigue situations......Playing against a team playing their third game in four nights, all on the road. Also teams playing four in six nights and etc.......

Yeah good point. A bunch of young players there looking to make an impression on a new coach. The new coach trend probably translates into a few sports I'm sure.

I guess I'll try to revive this thread. First I print or download stat sheets and the lines from pinny or 5 dimes. Using the stat sheets I look for mismatches, whether its one teams powerful offense against a team that gives up a lot of shots and goals, high PP% vs very low PK%, record over L5, goal output through those L5...If I find anything like that i check the lines to see if there is value.
I do not use any systems or formulas to determine the odds of a team winning. I need more understanding as to how I would approach that.
I'm interested in seeing what you guys do and how you approach capping a game.

I'm not big on numbers and stats, I'll look at them but I won't base my choice on them. I have the centre ice package so I try and watch as many games as possible and try to learn as much as I can about them, especially early in the year. I watch the preview shows here in canada on TSN, SPORTSNET and the Score. If you're outside canada, I'd say try those websites a few times a day, you'll get alot of info that you wouldn't get otherwise because hockey is the number one sport here.

:shake:

Im not huge on numbers in hockey. I play a lot of situational spots. I actually had a sick season. The playoffs really killed me. I was 20 units up or so...sigh...betting on the Pens every game in the Cup did me in.

Anyone out there?

Home - Away MLs ..

Home teams went off at -180 and last game on the board has the home team LAK +110 ....

Pretty good value....or a sucker bet .??

I do as well . Especially knowing they were a home dog and Boston was a small fav . NYR was about -160 so really only Montreal was a big fav and -180 is pretty big considering how these games opened and closed ....

Rolling with it but wanted to bring to everyone's attention . The role of props in making plays ...

Good Luck Sportsnut!... I always look for your insight on the NFL and NCAAF.

:shake:

Thanks bro . I dont much about hockey and did well in week 1 but slumped in week 2 thanks to losing about every close game I took . Just feeling my way around . Though COL was lucky to survive at Dallas on Sat so hoping they get the bad breaks vs a team on the upswing . Played Home team s ML earlier because I like Montreal but didnt want to play lay it and leaned Kings and Boston . Anyway back to the NFL....Thanks BB...:cheers:

The way I go about it is largely based on situational spots, 5on5 strength and this year -unders, cause last year I was very bad on totals and it cost me in some contests so I worked on that this summer...I think 5on5 strength is more an indicator of team strength. But I dont have to tell you, with the way the years starting with all the powerplay goals and overs, I may have to start factoring special teams, something I rarely do. But we'll see, when theres a rule change, theres a bit of a change at first but it usually comes back to where it was. And later, the NHL will try to come up with another rule to help produce more goals.

Back