NFL Week 7 Discussion

sorry again for the format...thegreek used to copy and paste better than that.

inital leans: Philly over, Cincy, KC, Niners, Steelers

Seattle's defense is such a nightmare matchup for the Cardinals. Really like them -6.5.

Rams/Panthers seems like an automatic under.

LVH Week 7 openers (10/13/2013)

(Home team on bottom)

Seahawks -4.5
Cardinals (Thursday)

Patriots -3.5
Jets

Chargers -7.5
Jaguars

Texans
Chiefs -4.5

Bengals
Lions -2.5

Bills
Dolphins -9

Bears
Redskins PK

Cowboys
Eagles PK

Rams
Panthers -6

Bucs
Falcons -7

49ers -4.5
Titans

Browns
Packers -10.5

Ravens
Steelers -1.5

Broncos -5.5
Colts

Vikings (Monday)
Giants -3

I've been betting these since week 3 and will continue to do so. Broncos and Viking games are 11-0 to the over so far this year.

This Packers line aint half high,the O line is disgustingly bad,all Aarons wr are banged up and wernt great anyway,Lacy doesnt hit the hole as hard has he did in college,it just seams a lot of points

Dallas getting a FG @ Philly ? help me out here,when Philly play anyone who has a decent offense the defense gets absolutely shredded,wtf
help me out here fellas ? is there some big injury news? Is Romo dead or summat

These 2 a pick em on an neutral
confused.gif
:help:

This Packers line aint half high,the O line is disgustingly bad,all Aarons wr are banged up and wernt great anyway,Lacy doesnt hit the hole as hard has he did in college,it just seams a lot of points

I lean Browns as well. If Weeden doesn't fuck up they will most definitely cover.

Packers w/o Cobb or Jones, O-line is banged up and they just finished playing a physical Ravens team. Just hate Weeden.

absolutely love pitt... balty is a straight pretender and pitt needs to stay focused and make a come back in the standings... i said preseason that balty would miss the playoffs and im sticking to that

the value on pitt is going to disappear soon, right now the public is still uneasy about the team

I lean Browns as well. If Weeden doesn't fuck up they will most definitely cover.

Packers w/o Cobb or Jones, O-line is banged up and they just finished playing a physical Ravens team. Just hate Weeden.
Yeah I hear you gyno,Weeden at Lambeau field doesnt inspire our confidence,gonna play them tho.
Id take 1 T/O now
GL

add;and its gonna be under the lights

Thursday: would love to get Arizona +7 -110. The game against the 49ers was closer than the score indicates. It was a 2 point game in the 4th quarter. Their defense matches up well in the division. Should be a low scoring game, making the points more valuable.

Sunday:
Jags TT OVER. The line will be set at under 20. Having Blackmon back makes that offense much better. They've been able to move the ball past two weeks on the road, don't see them not scoring some at home.

Sunday Night: Would love to get colts +7 -110. I just hope the colt's coaches take the handcuffs off Luck. WTF are they thinking with this power run game? Let Luck throw the ball all over the field.

Monday Night: Vikings/Giants...wow. fuck this game. i'm gonna go visit my parents.

absolutely love pitt... balty is a straight pretender and pitt needs to stay focused and make a come back in the standings... i said preseason that balty would miss the playoffs and im sticking to that

the value on pitt is going to disappear soon, right now the public is still uneasy about the team
88, I was all over the Jets last week and I was so wrong. I do feel however, the PUBLIC, has a right to feel uneasy about the Steelers. They have looked terrible. Maybe the bye week helped.

the Skins are favored against the bears. Cant figure THAT 1 out.
I cant figure that,or the philly line,I know Dallas got a couple of injuries but all of a sudden Philly deserve to be FG favourites cause they beat Tampa Bay and NYG ?
They even made Glennon look able.

Mayo done now,so they got Mayo,Kelly(?),Willfork and Talib (is Jimmy Graham still in his pocket ?) missing on D and Vereen,Gronk and Amendola missing on O...hows this team still winning,never mind competing ..Divison game on the road and -4.5 against a team who already held them to 13pts.....Ive done my conkers fading NE this season,looks like Im donating again.....Unless the under ?

GB's defensive weakness is in the secondary...not sure the Browns can exploit that....would expect an ugly game like the one they grinded out against Det a couple weeks ago..

Dallas getting a FG @ Philly ? help me out here,when Philly play anyone who has a decent offense the defense gets absolutely shredded,wtf
help me out here fellas ? is there some big injury news? Is Romo dead or summat

These 2 a pick em on an neutral
confused.gif
:help:
Philly should get deducted pts for home field advantage, not given....they seem to play awful there..i'll have to look up the actual numbers

Pretty big revenger here for zona in a division game...got emberassed as bad as an NFL team can last year in SEA..and they beat sea at home week 1 last year with john skelton...

Giants with extra time to prepare. By far the easiest game on their schedule so far and on Monday night. Freeman is horrible (seriously, how many open receivers has he missed this year - guy is brutal) and now having to get familiar with new system and receivers. AP could always go apeshit, but if the Giants can't win here, seriously could go winless.

<header class="entry-header"> Is There a Disadvantage for NFL West Coast Teams Traveling East?

Articles, NFL
by PJ on <time class="entry-date" datetime="2013-10-16T15:25:24+00:00">October 16, 2013</time>

</header>
When making predictions, ranking fantasy football players or justifying betting decisions, experts love turning to generic theories to backup their opinions. However, when using these concepts, experts often conveniently forget to back these theories with data and statistics.
Over the last couple of years, we’ve taken it upon ourselves to do the legwork and prove whether mainstream theories are actually based in truth. For example, we busted the myth that cold weather means lower scoring and have also confirmed that NFL teams do play better when coming off a bye.
One trendy concept being used by the media is that NFL West Coast teams traveling east suffer declines in performance. It’s certainly reasonable to hypothesize that the combination of long flights, strange beds and time zone changes confuse internal body clocks and prevent players and teams from performing up to expectations.
With this in mind, we used our Bet Labs data analysis software to examine the theory of West Coast teams traveling east and determine just how truthful it is. To start, we had to first find a way to measure expected performance. Similar to our Monday Night Football analysis, we can’t use straight up wins and losses since they don’t provide a realistic measure of performance. For example, San Diego is traveling to Jacksonville this week as 7.5-point favorites. Since 2003, favorites of -7.5 and greater are 543-108 (83.4%) straight up, so concluding that a San Diego victory alone meant they met expectations would be incorrect.
Instead, we can use against the spread (ATS) records as a much better indicator. It’s safe to assume that the favorite in each matchup is “expected” to be the better team and the actual size of the spread defines “how much better” the favorite is expected to be. Therefore, we would define a 3-point Chargers victory as underperforming since they did not cover the spread. Conversely, a 10-point win would cover the 7.5-point spread, indicating that San Diego outperformed expectations and “played well” against Jacksonville.
With our measure of performance defined, we compiled ATS records for the four NFL teams located in the Pacific Time Zone (San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and Seattle Seahawks) when traveling to play in the Mountain, Central and Eastern Time Zones.
The table below displays the results, since 2005:
[TABLE="class: tablepress tablepress-id-30"]
<tbody>[TR="class: row-1 odd"]
[TH="class: column-1"] Game Time Zone[/TH]
[TH="class: column-2"] ATS Record[/TH]
[TH="class: column-3"] ATS Win Rate[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row-2 even"]
[TD="class: column-1"]Mountain[/TD]
[TD="class: column-2"]22-10[/TD]
[TD="class: column-3"]68.8%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row-3 odd"]
[TD="class: column-1"]Central[/TD]
[TD="class: column-2"]37-44[/TD]
[TD="class: column-3"]45.7%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row-4 even"]
[TD="class: column-1"]Eastern[/TD]
[TD="class: column-2"]44-57[/TD]
[TD="class: column-3"]43.6%[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Interestingly, ATS performance of Pacific Time Zone teams gets progressively worse as they travel further east. Based on these results, we can conclude that West Coast teams don’t meet expectations and therefore “play badly” when traveling to the East Coast.
While we have achieved our original goal by confirming this concept, we decided to now look at this from a betting theory perspective in order to learn how to take advantage going forward. Using the analysis above as a baseline, we also tested other scenarios and found that Pacific Time Zone teams traveling east perform even worse after covering the spread in their previous game.
The table below displays ATS records for Pacific Time Zone teams, coming off an ATS victory in their most recent game, dating back to 2005:
[TABLE="class: tablepress tablepress-id-31"]
<tbody>[TR="class: row-1 odd"]
[TH="class: column-1"] Game Time Zone[/TH]
[TH="class: column-2"] ATS Record[/TH]
[TH="class: column-3"] ATS Win Rate[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row-2 even"]
[TD="class: column-1"]Mountain[/TD]
[TD="class: column-2"]6-8[/TD]
[TD="class: column-3"]42.9%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row-3 odd"]
[TD="class: column-1"]Central[/TD]
[TD="class: column-2"]16-26[/TD]
[TD="class: column-3"]38.1%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row-4 even"]
[TD="class: column-1"]Eastern[/TD]
[TD="class: column-2"]16-38[/TD]
[TD="class: column-3"]29.6%[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
For the record, this added wrinkle is not related to the teams’ actual travel, but is instead a reflection of betting market overreaction. The betting public tends to focus on recent results and will back teams that covered the spread in their latest game. In turn, oddsmakers react by shading lines, forcing bettors who like these teams to take them at bad numbers.
Sharp bettors wait for these market overreactions and take advantage by betting against the Pacific Time Zone teams, knowing they only cover the spread at a rate of 29.6%.

West-East-Schedule3.jpg

Jags getting a surprising amount of love, some of it warranted but most of the time bad things happen when you bet on bad teams.

Philly should get deducted pts for home field advantage, not given....they seem to play awful there..i'll have to look up the actual numbers

Last game the Eagles won at home was the Sunday night game against the Giants last September...I was there...havent been back since...and I turned down tickets for this weeks game...Cowboys are a sure thing...haha

Jags getting a surprising amount of love, some of it warranted but most of the time bad things happen when you bet on bad teams.

[TABLE="class: tableOdds"]
<tbody id="oddsBody">[TR="class: row-odd"]
[TD="class: team"] 10/20

1:00 PM

399 San Diego Chargers
400 Jacksonville Jaguars
[/TD]
[TD="class: pct"] 68%
32%
[/TD]
[TD="class: pct"] 25%
75%
[/TD]
[TD="class: pct"] 68%
32%
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Patriots @ Jets (+3.5) -- 1 p.m.

The week AFTER playing the Saints, teams are 46-80 ATS (37% since 2005)

Patriots playing Jets in New York: 12-2 ATS
Chargers @ Jaguars (+7.5) -- 1 p.m.

Big road fav:
Last 20 seasons, road favorites laying 7 or more have covered only 41% of the time.

Jags: Winless underdogs (NFL Week 6 or later): 64% ATS (since 1992)

Jags have scored 5 points at home this season – giving up 65 points.

10 am Pacific time start for Chargers.

SD:
Teams the WEEK BEFORE a bye
(when not playing another team before a bye)
have covered only 7 of 30 games (since start of last season)
Texans @ Chiefs (-6) -- 1 p.m.

Texans have outgained opponents by 857 yards
That's #1 in the NFL, 362 yards better than the 2nd best team.
That means Houston is outgaining opponents by 142 yards per game Undefeated KC is only outgaining opponents by an average of only 20 yards page game.

Coach Kubiack in career as a dog of 4 or more points: 38% (13-21 ATS)

Alex Smith last 32 games as a starter: 26-5-1 SU

Strong home field for KC when crowd is engaged.

Texans:
Bengals @ Lions (-2.5) -- 1 p.m.

Bengals: 10-4 overall ATS run

Bengals on road: 11-5-3 ATS

Bengals: third road game in 4 weeks

Lions, after scoring 30 or more points the prior game: lost 11 straight ATS
Bills @ Dolphins (-7.5) -- 1 p.m.

Biggest favorite for Dolphins in last 4 seasons

Dolphins, as a home favorite: 10-33 ATS (back to 2003)
Dolphins, as a home favorite of 6 or more points: 1-11 ATS

Dolphins outgained yardage-wise in EVERY game this season.

Visitor in Miami games 53-31 ATS

Bills last 31 games: lost against the spread by a NET 143 points combined
Bears @ Redskins (-1) -- 1 p.m.

Coach Shanahan’s last 27 games as home favorite (at Washington & Denver): covered 5 and lost 22 ATS

In 4 seasons under Shanahan, Redskins have covered only 3 times as a home favorite.

Bears:
Cowboys @ Eagles (-3) -- 1 p.m.

Big line move: Dallas opened a 3-point favorite

Underdog has covered 70% of Dallas games (38-16 ATS the last 4 seasons)

Cowboys, after winning a game: 4-15 ATS

Cowboys, playing within the division: 17-31 ATS

Eagles have not covered a home game since 2011 season (losing 10 straight ATS; 7-24 ATS last 31 at home)

Cowboys/Eagles: Underdog covered 21 of 29 in this series.
Teams Eagles have lost to are 15-3 SU on the season
Teams Eagles have beat are 1-15 SU on the season

Dallas last week: lowest offense yardage output in last 45 Cowboys games

Rams @ Panthers (-6) -- 1 p.m.

Jeff Fisher as a underdog: 87-56 ATS (61%) in his coaching career

Rams: First game this season outdoors.

Rams +4 TO margin last week vs. Texans

Cam Newton in one-score games: 2-14 SU

Buccaneers @ Falcons (-7) -- 1 p.m.

Falcons: only 4[SUP]th[/SUP] team with 1-4 record (in last 25 years) to be favored by a TD or more.

The next game after a loss: Atlanta has covered 21 of 26!

Only 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] time in last 4 seasons Falcons lost two games in a row.

Coach Smith as a favorite: 35-22 ATS (61%) in his coaching career

Bucs have lost 10 straight games when opponent has not rested starters.

Bucs: Winless underdog (NFL Week 6 or later): 64% ATS (since 1992)

Tampa 20-11 ATS on the road

Roddy White averaging 26 yards per game receiving this season.

Teams last played Week 17 last season – note that Atlanta rested starters in that game.

49ers @ Titans (+4) -- 4:05 p.m.

49ers:
Browns @ Packers (-10) -- 4:25 p.m.

Home team in Packers games have covered 12 of 13 ATS

Last 18 times Green Bay lost against the spread, covered the next game 16 times.

Packers at home have covered 23 of 31
Ravens @ Steelers (-1.5) -- 4:25 p.m.

7 of last 9 games between Pitt/Balt ended with exactly a 3-point margin.

Steelers: 7-15-1 overall ATS run

Steelers have not topped 80 rushing yards in any game this season

Baltimore:
Broncos @ Colts (+6.5) -- 8:30 p.m.

Denver has won 17 straight regular season games (13-4 ATS)

Colts:

Only two NFL teams have a worse NFL defense (yards per play) than Denver

Denver: scoring 14 points per game more than any other NFL team.

Luck as a home dog: 5-0 ATS and SU
Luck is undefeated after a loss: 6-0 SU and ATS
MNF: Vikings @ Giants (-3) -- 8:40 p.m.

Giants first 0-6 team in recorded point spread history to be favored by more than a field goal.

NYG: Winless teams (Week 6 or later): 63% ATS (since 1992)

Giants at home: only 2 of 14 winning seasons ATS

Giants -16 in takeaways (worst in NFC); entering this week, the second worse NFC was -3 in takeaways.

Giants on pace to give up most points in NFL history.

I can't believe this is St Louis' first game outdoors this season. That has to be worth something - even though the game is in weather friendly Carolina where it is supposed to be mid-60's.

Back