NFL Rule Changes

JML4481

Pretty much a regular
Among the proposals that were passed:

• A recommendation to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines. Now, officials will only have to decide whether a receiver landed inbounds or not. The intended result is more consistency. (Either way, this was a gray area....now it should be more black and white)

• The "Phil Dawson field goal rule." Now, certain field goals can be reviewed by instant replay, including kicks that bounce off the uprights. Under the previous system, no field goals could be reviewed.
(I always wondered how some 60 yr old guy looking straight up could tell if a ball that was over the top of the pole was either good or missed.)

• Deferring the opening coin toss. This is similar to the college rule. Previously, the winner of the coin toss could only choose to receive or to kick off.
(Less pressure on a coach I suppose?)

• A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.
(For a league that wants to protect QB's, this could get one killed)- Also, couldn't an offense deliberatly "mess up" the snap-creating more creative gadget plays?

• Eliminating the 5-yard face mask penalty. Now, only the serious face mask will be called (and will be assessed as a 15-yard penalty). The major
foul will involve twisting or grabbing the face mask.
(This could be HUGE!-)

Full Story: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3325273

In my opinion, the last two could cause major problems.

so does that mean that hair not being allowed to cover the jersey rule did not get passed???

about time they got rid of that stupid force out crap.

dont like them getting rid of 5 yard face mask rule. If you grab it and smart enough to let go i like that. I can see guys just barely grasping it now, saying, "well now that i got lets throw him 5 yards that way."

You missed my favorite tho. One radio helmet (thing with green dot) allowed per defense.

why would the facemask thing be bad? if you grab it and pull its fifteen. if you just touch it and let go you are good.

i like the radio on D, if that is one too. and hell yes get rid of the pushed out rule. if someone hits them out they should be out

Face-Mask rule is a bad idea.

I predict an increase in face masks of the 5 yard variety.

A ref can then call that 5 yarder as a personal foul.
Of course, he only needs to employ it when the Over is struggling or his team needs a FG to tie.

They put in the 5 yard face mask rule for just the problems they're going to get.

Part of me thinks that mistake lasts about two seasons before it comes back.

Losing that was a stupid idea.

I also don't love eliminating the force-out rule. It does make it clearer, but a lot of times it was very clear and used well. Bonus to the defense, I guess, after putting CBs in handcuffs for these last few years.

I also don't love eliminating the force-out rule. It does make it clearer, but a lot of times it was very clear and used well. Bonus to the defense, I guess, after putting CBs in handcuffs for these last few years.

Joe i am surprised your saying this because kellen winslow should of been ruled forced out against arizona and that game could of been won, thus browns in the playoffs, they probally wouldn't of went anywhere but it still would of been nice to see them there.

Back