NFL PLAYOFF BLITZ - Championship Round

BlitzBandit

Friend of CTG
First off I want to say thanks to all the ctg mods and members for helping make the transition for us from sportsharks over here go smoothly... hopefully it will pay off for us all in the long run having one site with one same goal... afterall.. we all just want to win....

now that that's out of the way, its on to the matchups....

Playoff Record - 6-4
sides - 3-2
totals - 3-2

Well.. got screwed by Martyball last weekend... I was so close to not playing the SD spread, then at the last second I said FUCK IT.. and then got screwed of course... thanks Marty.. lol.. I bet LT is saying the same thing.. lol.. not that Marty was even out there on the field fucking up the plays.. lol... anyway.. time to shake things off and move on to this week where we have some serious matchups.... I can see both games going either way, but hopefully I got a good grasp on things and things play out like they should.... well.. I least how I hope they should.. lol.

so here we go... kicking things off with the early game...

New Orleans @ Chicago -1.5

If you can get -1 somewhere, do it.. but I will settle for what I got. It seems everyone seems to be on the Saints here. Pretty strange how one season can change alot. If this game would have been played early on in the season like week 2 or 3, the public would be all over the bears here... and the line would have been much heavier... but that's what one season can do when you make the right changes in staff and players. Well.. I'm sure starting off the season the first 5 weeks against teams that didn't make the playoffs helped build momentum for the Saints, but either way, Peyton has done a terrific job in utilizing Brees, Bush, Colston, Horn, and McAllister this season. This team is definitely for real and has become a scoring machine. I can see why the public is drooling all over them... specially when we have seen the Bears defense going the opposite direction.

The Bears won their first seven games by a combined score of 221-69. In their final nine games, they outscored opponents just 206-186, and last week they needed overtime to beat a subpar Seattle team that backed into the playoffs by virtue of playing in the NFL’s weakest division. It's bad enough Rex Grossman has not been consistent at all this season and you don't which Grossman will show up to play, but now the Bears also need to worry about which defense will show up. At about midseason, the bears lost Mike Brown. Then in week 12, his replacement Todd Johnson hurt his ankle. The following week, defensive tackle Tommie Harris tore a hamstring and was lost for the year. Without Harris providing pressure and having a third string safety in the lineup, the Bears defense lost its mojo.. lol. The Cover 2 defense that Chicago uses would depend on the front line to provide the pass rush... that was just not as easily to do without Harris. The Bears went from having 21 ints in the first 12 games to only 3 in the final four. Against the Seahawks last week, Johnson returned and things looked a bit better again.

On the flip side, The Saints had a helluva pass rush themselves.. probably better statistically than the Bears. The Bears had 40 sacks.. only two more than the Saints this season, but actually played against 100 more pass plays than the Saints. One thing I see is the fact that New Orleans has a weak spot in the secondary that CHI has a potential to take advantage of. Even though McKenzie and Craft did good this year, Fred Thomas was burned by alot of top receivers this season... including a 75 yard touchdown to Donte Stallworth last week. If they do not get him some safety help, Bernard Berrian may just have another nice game. I still see this game going low in the total.. Even though I think the first half would make a better under play, I would probably take it for the entire game if I were forced to make a total bet. But I'm not.. so I won't.. lol. I don't really see Bush and McAllister being able to do too much on the ground this week as I think the bears will step things up, but I do see Bush having a good game anyway... probably more as a receiver in the flats.. the Saints will probably have to use some screen passes to him here.. after all, he is what helped them get past the Cowboys when other things were not working out well.

The Bottom line is the Bears can and should win this game... they have a better defense and a better special teams. Even though Bush is a great return man, you can't quite say they have the advantage in that department when the Bears have Devin Hester.

The key will not be Grossman in this game.. although he does need to play mistake free.. I think the key is going to be how the Bears defense plays. If they can bring back their early season form for this one, the Saints are going to have some problems. Kinda reminds me when the Bears plays the Panthers during the regular season last year.. the entire public was all over Steve Smith and the Panthers... but in the end, even though Steve Smith had about 100 yards.. hell more if I remember correctly.. lol.. he did not get in the endzone and it was a 13-10 type Chicago win. I have no reason to think New Orleans cannot be shut down here. Maybe not fully, but enough for the Bears to run with Thomas and Benson as needed and win the game... probably off a Robbie Gould field goal.... either way.. I'm taking the Bears and considering the Under...

coming back in a bit to throw out my AFC game...

comments welcome...

gl to all who are on this game.

Last edited:
Why did I know we were gonna be on opposite sides? lol.........Nice to soo your write up as always. :shake: My question to you is this....

Will the Bears offensive line be able to hold the Saints defensive line? If they cant its game over for Grossman.

Ahhh! The Blitzo Bandito. Nice write up. I'm still like 2 lesbos in a fish market on this one. But you got me leanin'.

spanishshark said:
Why did I know we were gonna be on opposite sides? lol.........Nice to soo your write up as always. :shake: My question to you is this....

Will the Bears offensive line be able to hold the Saints defensive line? If they cant its game over for Grossman.

yea.. it does seem we're on opposites here shark.. damn.. no underwater blitz yet.. haha...

here's the thing...

of course the Chicago O-Line will have to hold the Saints D-Line to win, but that will not be so much the key here...

Chicago has given up 11 sacks in the last four games... they gave up 4,2,2 then 3 last week... that is not something to be proud of at all.. but in those last four games they still ran over 100 yards in all of them and won 3 out of the 4... and scored over 25 pts in 3 of those 4 as well.. the only one they lost was against GB.. they did run over 100 there too, but only scored 7 pts.. it's pretty hard to win a game even when you're running the ball well when you throw 5 ints like the Bears had in that one.

that's why I say one of the keys is Grossman being mistake free... it is better for him to take the sack than to throw the ball away and risk a mistake which NO is very capable of taking advantage of.

If you look at NO the last four games, they also have allowed 11 sacks, but the key with them is how their running game goes. In those 4 games, they allowed 3 sacks to Philly and 1 to the G-Men.. but they ran for over 200 yards in both and put up at least 27 pts in both... and of course.. two wins. In the other two, they allowed 2 sacks to Washington and 5 to Carolina... the difference was they only ran for 61 yards against Carolina and 71 yards against the skins... that resulted in 31 total points for both games combined... and of course two losses...

so I think a big key is for Chicago to keep Grossman from making mistakes and keep running with Thomas and Benson.. and at the same time.. their defense needs to keep Bush and McAllister on a short leash.. all of which could happen.

flounder101 said:
Ahhh! The Blitzo Bandito. Nice write up. I'm still like 2 lesbos in a fish market on this one. But you got me leanin'.

haha.. flounder... no MDF on this one.. haha.. tooo scary.. lol... but I do feel confident for my bet.. lol.

Spanish has the key to game IMO...

I am rooting for N.O....but my money...if I play is with the Bears most likely

If this game was inside I would take the saints too. But outside in the cold weather I think the bears will prevaile. And on the other side Payton manning has been waiting for this day to beat new england Badly, This will be the "animal" bowl Bears against the colts...........maybe.

gl buddy....love the bears in this spot. I honestly can't believe the price you can get on them being at home and against a relatively inexperienced new orleans playoff squad.

I think the key is more the bears defense .. than grossman as a passer. The bears defense doesnt want this to turn into what carolina did to them last year

mymainvice said:
If this game was inside I would take the saints too. But outside in the cold weather I think the bears will prevaile. And on the other side Payton manning has been waiting for this day to beat new england Badly, This will be the "animal" bowl Bears against the colts...........maybe.

couldn't agree with you more bud... just last week, the Saints had a nice indoor game.. now their coming to the outdoor cold.

HUNTDOG said:
gl buddy....love the bears in this spot. I honestly can't believe the price you can get on them being at home and against a relatively inexperienced new orleans playoff squad.

good to see us on agreeing on this one bud.

thanks taz and antmagic.. gl to you guys this weekend.

abcs said:
I think the key is more the bears defense .. than grossman as a passer. The bears defense doesnt want this to turn into what carolina did to them last year

agree 100%... even though I think he does have to avoid mistakes or their screwed, I also think the most important thing here is going to be the Bears defense and if they are ready to step things up to their early in the season level.

Grossman doesnt need to make turnovers though and give them a short field. Should be fun..

BTW i think u were kiddin at the top about marty ball, but he was def not the reason they lost that game. G luck Blitz

abcs said:
Grossman doesnt need to make turnovers though and give them a short field. Should be fun..

BTW i think u were kiddin at the top about marty ball, but he was def not the reason they lost that game. G luck Blitz

yea.. I was kidding.. that's why I said he was not actually on the field losing the game...

good to see you again bud.. gl to you as well.

lmao

flounder101 said:

that's gotta be one of the funniest one-liners ever...
classic

excellent write up, blitz.

hard to argue taking the home side, with the better defense, when the public's all over the road dog.

but since i did...lol...good health to ya, buddy.
seriously, great thread.

Yanks26Sox6 said:
excellent write up, blitz.

hard to argue taking the home side, with the better defense, when the public's all over the road dog.

but since i did...lol...good health to ya, buddy.
seriously, great thread.

thanks bud... and good health to you...

and yea.. fishman sure has a way with his one liners.. lol.

still stuck on the afc game and think I am just laying off..

personally, this game can go either way and there is just too much shit to make this lean either way...

If I was forced to pick, then I would say Colts... well.. actually, make it Pats... No wait.. yea.. Colts.. haha.

gl to all in that one.

Nice first post blitz .. good to see ya out of the website promo and where ya belong

abcs said:
Nice first post blitz .. good to see ya out of the website promo and where ya belong

haha... I never thought I was going to get out of there.. lol.

good to finally be able to discuss things with you again bud.

Just got in and i gotta say....

Thx mah man made me hedge at the last minute with the bears since i had an early bet on a n.o/indy SB future. $$$

Indy game was off the rail...just loved it!!

Back