Nfl coaching carousel

Arizona - Steve Wilks Deserved. Puzzling player usage, no progress made and scoring differential of -200
NY Jets - Todd Bowles Deserved. Probably better suited as a coordinator. Good head coaching opp with Darnold present.
Miami- Adam Gase Bit surprising. Think hes a bit overrated bc of Peytons regime but did get modest results with subpar teams. Another who likely rubbed too many players the wrong way and Jarvis Landry's utilization as more than a possession receiver in Cle makes one wonder about personnel decisions.
Denver - Vance Joseph In over his head. Made numerous time management blunders and other decision making gaffes (the 4th n 1 kick vs Cle I agreed with).
Tampa Bay- Dirk Koetter This team has individuals who as a whole don't equal the sum of its parts. There is talent on both sides of the ball, Winston is enigmatic, perhaps a new coach gets more out of them.
Cincinnati - Marv Lewis- Long time coming but surprised there wasn't a softer transition for the longtime coach. Moribund team will go nowhere until they find a QB. Dalton is so bland and wont win you games.

Already deposed
Green Bay - Mike McCarthy Media esp rotoworld make him out to be the worst coach in history but the results after he left weren't pretty. Divorce was necessary but I think he took too much blame for an overall lack of talent at almost every position.
Cleveland - Hue Jackson Another coach who tries to make players fit his schemes instead of devising plans using his best players best attributes.

As seen from Chicago who transitioned from the boring John Fox era to Matt Nagy's inventive playcalling esp those 2 pt converts, teams can make huge swings in their fortunes.

The best spots are Cleveland, not only because of Baker but they have a stud Rb and several playmakers on defense.
Green Bay needs to reload at several positions but with a healthy (physical and mentally) Rodgers a quick turnaround is possible.
Arizona and the Jets next best. Zona needs an oline. Jets need more impact players up front on defense and probably a RB.

I would think/hope Cleveland would bring Williams on FT. Maybe their OC guy.

Don't even know who I want at Denver at this point.

Freddie Kitchens needs the HC in Cleveland, not Greg Williams.

Gase was puzzling, he's a good coach...that used his players in terrible ways.

Wilks is a lame duck.

From Bookmaker:

HEAD COACH OF THE JETS WEEK 1 2019-2020 REG SEASON
Matt LaFleur+1038
John DeFilippo+1362
Jeremy Bates+1038
Lincoln Riley+660
Bruce Arians+1362
Urban Meyer+2629
Josh McDaniels+1337
Mike McCarthy+700
Adam Gase+1582
Jim Caldwell+1362
Eric Bieniemy+815
Kliff Kingsbury+1022
Todd Monken+1232
Kris Richard+3185
Field - Any Other+250

HEAD COACH OF THE BROWNS WEEK 1 2019-2020 REG SEAS
Kevin Sefanski+3047
Nick Sirianni+3047
Jim Caldwell+2226
Bruce Ariens+1512
Urban Meyer+5000
Josh McDaniels+602
Gregg Williams+845
Freddie Kitchens+150
Mike McCarthy+401
Brian Flores+1818
Matt Eberflus+2022
Dan Campbell+2226
Field - Any Other+401

HEAD COACH OF THE BRONCOS WEEK 1 2019-20 REG SEAS.
Chuck Pagano+800
Zac Taylor+800
Brian Flores+900
Vic Fangio+700
Mike McCarthy+1000
Mike Munchak+900
Dave Toub+1100
Jim Schwartz+1300
Dennis Allen+900
Bruce Ariens+1300
Urban Meyer+2000
Field - Any Other+250

HEAD COACH OF THE CARDINALS WEEK 1 2019-20 REG SEA
Zac Taylor+1200
Dan Campbell+900
Adam Gase+800
Kliff Kingsbury+1400
Jim Caldwell+1200
Mike McCarthy+2200
Eric Bieniemy+1500
Todd Bowls+1400
Chuck Pagano+1100
Kris Richard+850
Matt LaFleur+900
Pete Carmichael+900
Josh McDaniels+500
Field+250

HEAD COACH OF THE PACKERS WEEK 1 2019-20 REG SEAS.
Josh McDaniels+246
Matt LaFleur+600
Dan Campbell+1000
Jim Caldwell+1250
Chuck Pagano+1606
Brian Flores+1200
Pat Fitzgerald+2500
Pete Carmichael+2000
Mike Munchak+1800
Joe Philbin+350
Field+200

HEAD COACH OF THE DOLPHINS WEEK 1 2019-20 REG SEAS
Eric Bieniemy+1306
Vic Fangio+1259
Brian Flores+1031
Mike Munchak+849
Kris Richard+1306
Darren Rizzi+1662
Josh McDaniels+468
Jim Caldwell+849
Dan Campbell+849
Mike McCarthy +962
Field +122

Very surprised to see Kliff get this gig. Arians & Bowles will be back at it in Tampa. Wonder where and at what position Gase lands.

Kingsbury would be a much better OC than a head coach, but congrats to him............I guess.

I get why they did it, if he's a coordinator and successful he's gone in a year or two anyway and they want to tie him to Rosen along with basically an entire offense that will be very, very young. It's commitment to the duration after fucking up this last hire. Not like that offense is going to be a one year fix, most experienced receiver could well be Kirk in his 2nd year and an OL that was starting 3 rookies to end the season.

That said, better get in a DC than plays well with the vets, I'm sure that will be the focus with Kliff basically calling plays anyway.

That's risky, also the stuff about him being a qb whisperer is kind of bullshit

He went with davis Webb over baker, Baker transfers

Mahomes is great, but I put most of that with nagy and reid as all the talk coming in was mahomes had tools but needed to sit a year and be coached

So many things to unpack from that clip. First and foremost, Hue was the absolute worst, and how he ever got a 2nd head coaching job in the league is insane and ridiculous. He wasn't even understanding what Kitchens was trying to say, and wouldn't even let him finish his point. Then he goes on about "the seat" and having respect for it. Hue, they need to respect the person IN the seat, not the seat itself. For fuck's sake, Hue is the worst, just the absolute worst.

I'm sure there are things others will notice as well, but holy hell how great is it that a 2 and a half minute clip can literally summarize how horrible one person is/can be at their job as head coach?

That's risky, also the stuff about him being a qb whisperer is kind of bullshit

He went with davis Webb over baker, Baker transfers

Mahomes is great, but I put most of that with nagy and reid as all the talk coming in was mahomes had tools but needed to sit a year and be coached

Yep of course it's risky. Need that in these parts. As I mentioned, bring him on as OC and it works, then he's gone in a year or two and coach revolution all over. No need with an offense so young and riding on it's investment. The beauty of this is twofold. Kliff is going to be given pretty much free reign on offense through Rosen's rookie contract to be cohesive with the entire offense. Unlike college, shouldn't see much turnover. He's getting three years unless he goes on a Scottsdale roadie at 2am for some tail.

But the best part is he'll basically be the OC as well. So no need to spend money on that, put it into a very good DC and staff. And upon further discussion today with some folks, it's not that tough to find a retired coach here with some experience that may have the itch to come on as a consultant.

Cards were in quicksand, realized it quick (very unCard like over the past century) and did the deed. It's interesting, and Keim put his career on the line with it.

This a joke?

Why in the FUCK would they hire a guy that JUST got fired and think it will work?!

They were in the same division for fuck sake
It is the NFL recycle-mobile.

I know at least one person here who thinks he is a good coach, just needs to right situation.

Belly sucked in Cleveland, right?

It is always interesting because then you have people complaining about Kliff...

aka the good ole boys don't like seeing their circle infiltrated.

Totally missed it, Gase to the Jets?

This is an AWFUL coaching crop. Much rather have Gase with a DC like Williams and take my chances than Mike McCarthy who is now an offensive fossil.

Jets were the only team that even gave McCarthy an interview. Fangio is a horrific hire and Elway is clueless. Kliff is the definition of a reach. Kitchens makes sense and the kid loves him, so that makes the most sense. Jets were never getting near Arians (best available IMO) because Bowles is like a son to him and he'd never go into an area and show him up. I don't care how good Matt Rhule is, you can't go from Temple to Baylor and then to NYC.

Gase is a Saban guy, he was Peyton's OC during the greatest offensive year in NFL history for a QB...and he had a WR who turned QB junior year of college as his QB that was hurt half the damn time in Miami for a team with no fan base and a bad owner.

I'm skeptical because I'm a Jets fan in general, but where the hell else could they go? I'll take my chances that Gase can build this kid into a franchise QB. If not, he's gone very quickly.

Jets with a guy who can teach Darnold AND $100M under the cap are a win now team. This isn't a project anymore...especially after guys like Nagy and McVay turned guys half as talented in Trubisky and Goff into legit players in one year.

Vance Joseph in as DC for Kliff, bringing the 3-4 which the entire roster was built for.

Seriously no clue what Keim was thinking hiring Wilkes....4-3 and just failure for basically a rookie offense waiting to happen. Again, very happy at least this team recognized it and washed its hands clean as quickly as they did.

Interviewing McAdoo for OC today, no idea why. Don't even need one.

This is an AWFUL coaching crop. Much rather have Gase with a DC like Williams and take my chances than Mike McCarthy who is now an offensive fossil.

Jets were the only team that even gave McCarthy an interview. Fangio is a horrific hire and Elway is clueless. Kliff is the definition of a reach. Kitchens makes sense and the kid loves him, so that makes the most sense. Jets were never getting near Arians (best available IMO) because Bowles is like a son to him and he'd never go into an area and show him up. I don't care how good Matt Rhule is, you can't go from Temple to Baylor and then to NYC.

Gase is a Saban guy, he was Peyton's OC during the greatest offensive year in NFL history for a QB...and he had a WR who turned QB junior year of college as his QB that was hurt half the damn time in Miami for a team with no fan base and a bad owner.

I'm skeptical because I'm a Jets fan in general, but where the hell else could they go? I'll take my chances that Gase can build this kid into a franchise QB. If not, he's gone very quickly.

Jets with a guy who can teach Darnold AND $100M under the cap are a win now team. This isn't a project anymore...especially after guys like Nagy and McVay turned guys half as talented in Trubisky and Goff into legit players in one year.

The list of candidates that the Jets interviewed was embarrassing. Not high on Gase at all but avoiding McCarthy and Caldwell is a win. If the Jets can bring in Williams to run the defense and Gase avoids hiring his friend Loggins this could work.

Reactions: KJ
I mean really are any of these hires impressive in any way other than possibly Arians with the Bucs. The state of coaching in the NFL is a joke and the list of new hires as well as the candidates that got interviews is proof of it.

It is always interesting because then you have people complaining about Kliff...

aka the good ole boys don't like seeing their circle infiltrated.

Its pretty hard to go from being fired at Texas Tech to landing an NFL head coaching job. Pretty funny listening to the excuse makers saying nobody can win at Texas Tech completely ignoring that Leach won a ton of games there.

I was hoping Harbaugh or Tomlin would become available

Now the Kliff buzz is fun, and he follows an absolute failure so big f'n deal

Successful coaches in college often fail in the NFL. This isn't new. They are two entirely different games...seriously 80% of the college game is recruitment.

I don't mind Kliff, just wanted an offensive mind. And he's going to be given TIME, that's more important than anything else.

Successful coaches in college often fail in the NFL. This isn't new. They are two entirely different games...seriously 80% of the college game is recruitment.

I don't mind Kliff, just wanted an offensive mind. And he's going to be given TIME, that's more important than anything else.

You're not worried about Keim being on a super short leash there, KJ?

That's the thing I thought might be the biggest "problem" with the KK hire, he's got a GM many thought could be fired and has done a terrible job in talent evaluation. It's going to be interesting for sure.

I think its worth a chance. Its not like the Cards passed on any great options.

Reactions: KJ
You're not worried about Keim being on a super short leash there, KJ?

That's the thing I thought might be the biggest "problem" with the KK hire, he's got a GM many thought could be fired and has done a terrible job in talent evaluation. It's going to be interesting for sure.
Keim is very, very smart. Possible he got too big for his britches but the DUI seemed to put him in check. This buys him at least 3 years....I as a fan want to see Kliff/Rosen succeed and can already toss the next couple seasons with how ridiculously young the entire offense is. Need an OL, and as mentioned, Christian Kirk will likely be our most seasoned WR in his 2nd year. I like that the team will actually allow this to play itself out for better or worse, not many will. If it took Keim to do this and gain a couple years of reprieve, GREAT! He's kinda been a genius before he was front office.

Back