NFL coaching carousel

Also people saying black Monday could be black Sunday cause people don't want to get fired in new year's day?

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll may consider retirement at end of season, per @JayGlazer

Also silver says Matt Patricia leading candidate for lion's job
Honestly, what has he done to warrant a HC job? I get he's the DC for the most successful team in the league the last several years, but does anyone really think he's the brains behind the operation?

Honestly, what has he done to warrant a HC job? I get he's the DC for the most successful team in the league the last several years, but does anyone really think he's the brains behind the operation?

Pats assistants leaving too have been a disastrous process

McDaniels I think will be ok, Denver was a horrible situation, but the d guys have flames out and pats fans want or wanted Patricia fired up until late November at least

That said, outside of a few guys like belichek, Shanahan, McVay etc who specialize in a side of the ball and basically run that part of it

Most HC are just game managers and motivation masters now

So improving on Caldwell can't be difficult

Let's go Gruden. Get Carr to an elite QB, get the defense going, and lead us to the promise land. :pray:

Gannon qb coach?

He's expressed interest in the past

Something I saw someone point out too, Gruden won't be limited to the guys he's worked with in the past because he would have made so many connections doing the pre game interviews with coaches and coordinators the last few years doing MNF and the qb camp

He needs to bring in a DC who can completely focus on that side of the ball, but on offense the coaches he brings in are all just going to be assistants since he will play call anyway. Carr easily the most talented qb he's ever has too which is crazy to think about

"My understanding is they’re interviewing candidates this week and they’re going to let everybody know sometime early next week or whenever they make their decision ........ I think I am being considered, yes. I hope I’m a candidate.”

Gruden today

Marv !!!

Dude is the Michael Myers of the NFL, won't die or go away.

This dude has something on the owners surely.

Why would you want Gruden. He has been away from the sidelines for nine years and his last few years in Tampa were terrible.
I'll take my chances with a coach who was successful here and has won a Super Bowl. Besides, what should we do? Pick up a head coach from the coaching carousel that fails all the time?

"My understanding is they’re interviewing candidates this week and they’re going to let everybody know sometime early next week or whenever they make their decision ........ I think I am being considered, yes. I hope I’m a candidate.”

Gruden today

Rooney Rule/One more game at ESPN

I must have missed Grudens 45-51 record and zero playoff wins in the 6 seasons after the SB win.
.... and the SB was won with Dungy's players

I don't get the infatuation with him. Yes, he's a good coach but the Raiders falling head over heels for him is absurd. What makes him such a hot commodity that he will be the highest compensated coach in league history?

And the sb he won with dungys players, when he took the point differential from +44 in dungys last year to 150, plus he played against the team he built who kept his entire scheme and play calling structure

In Marv we trust. Mike Brown just didn’t want to pay for the search and new coach. In Marvin’s defense he has a winning record with Mike Brown running the show. That’s not easy.

I want Bowles as DC. That's what he is and in the time here was great at it

I can't say I paid much attention to him in Arizona so I will trust your opinion on his work there but his defenses with the Jets have been awful and all the Jets do is draft on that side of the ball so he really has no excuses.

In Marv we trust. Mike Brown just didn’t want to pay for the search and new coach. In Marvin’s defense he has a winning record with Mike Brown running the show. That’s not easy.

Also has a crappy ginger qb and has lost a ton of coordinators to HC jobs. Obviously he not great but there are far worse. Bungals were basically the browns when he took over and he has managed to make them a playoff team lots of years in a tough division. Once he gets in the playoffs turns into a different story but again his qb sucks. I don't think he as awful as some make him out to be.

Marvin is 8-24 (.250) against his biggest division rival. Harbaugh is 11-12.

He's had 4 top 10 offenses in 15 years. Tomlin has had 5 in 11. Harbaugh has 0 in 10 (his main weakness).

He's had 4 top 10 defenses in 15 years. Tomlin has had 7 in 11. Harbaugh has 7 in 10.

And playoff wins, forget about it.

Marvin has been inferior to his biggest rivals for a decade and a half. That's four years before the first I-Phone. It's Before Saddam was captured. Keeping him another two years is insanity.

Marvin is being retained because NFL teams split revenues. Some teams are there just to split profits. They aren't there to win the suoerbowl.

So bengals fir business purposes makes sense to keep the same guy. They make the same money and no expectations to win.

I said this before.

Pete Carrol had a chance at 2 quick suierbowls and he blew it -

This team is finished. They should trade all stars and rebuild around Wilson. Except he may be 33 or so by the time Seahawks get good again .

Atlanta should follow suit and fire Dan Quinn . He will never win a meaningful game as a coach in the league- thus version of guys won't win it and won't make it far in playoffs.

They need anew nucleus. I would look to trade guys like Julio Jones, and others and rebuild.

Dan Quinn is so rattled that he lost his mind coaching in games and gambling at strange spots and just over compensating for the SUPERBOEL loss by acting aggressive with the play calls almost to justify their ridiculous play calls that lost them the sure suoerbowl win late.

Also has a crappy ginger qb and has lost a ton of coordinators to HC jobs. Obviously he not great but there are far worse. Bungals were basically the browns when he took over and he has managed to make them a playoff team lots of years in a tough division. Once he gets in the playoffs turns into a different story but again his qb sucks. I don't think he as awful as some make him out to be.
Exactly. Zimmer is doing a great job and he’s produced 5 HCs. He’s stubborn but like you said it could be far worse. Mike Brown is the real problem. Always has been.

Time to play SWITCH UP COACHES!

How important is Coaching?

How many games do the following teams win?

BROWNS with Sean Mcvay as coach?

Rams with Hue Jackson as coach?

The value of coaching is big!

Gruden was a product of the times.

He was the first young guy to break into coaching 20 years ago in the era of old school dinosaur coaches .

With Gruden it was more about his PERSONA than it was about his coaching skills. He knew how to grab people's attention and had a presence. Hence why he's on tv commentating.

Gruden is and was totally overrated.

As a coach YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS- his record isn't like great so........ He ain't all that

Also figures the raiders would hire him as they rarely make smart football personnel decisions.
A classic raiders bad football move.

Apparently there a incredible lack of worthy coaches since all I read is everyone saying how terrible and/or overrated pretty much every coach that gets brought up is.

Every other post I read is someone ridiculously trashing Andy Reid who a very good coach, guess if ya can say he not a good coach then easy to rip all the others.

Curious to see what must be the incredibly short list of coaches ya'll deem worthy!! Suppose Bellacheat and nobody else? Seems it takes multiple super bowls to appease anyone around here, maybe we failing to realize it simply not possible for everyone to win the SB every year!! Rings are not the only measure of a good coach, consistently having winning seasons/getting most out of talent on a roster far more fair measuring sticks.

Look at the list of qb's gruden had to work with, Marvin Lewis has a ginger weak armed scrub at qb, need I mention who Andy has to work with?? More I think about it seems to me coaches with good qb's get credit, coaches with bad qb's are apparently bums.

Back