New Playoff Structure + 17 game regular season

If they‘re going to make football as soft as possible, they take away much of the basis for resisting an expanded schedule

My question is who are teams playing that 17th game? Another conference game? The other conference?

My question is who are teams playing that 17th game? Another conference game? The other conference?
Weeks back when this was being discussed I believe it was a conference game but they wanted nuetral sites. Obviously London and Mexico games help out in that regard and the others were strategic spots around the country I believe. I'm curious as well. I could see them starting out with rotating 9/8 home away for teams...and the outcry when inevitably Green Bay, Dallas and New England get the "9" the first year...

I agree that is the big question. Everyone seems focused on where and the number of home/away games, but with 16 games the league has a fair and simple structure. Each division plays essentially 14 common games, with the two outliers based on past record. Who teams play on that 17th game could tilt the competitive balance, especially with a 7th playoff team. Those last spots are going to be tiebreaker oriented. Disparity in strength of schedule could make a large difference.

just another week I’ll lose money gambling on
Why?
the NFL is the most stable statistically to the mean than any other sport.
An odd # of weeks will change statistical records, with an asterisk, but it will be just another week of a no play or bet against teams that need that game.
In the 70's we endured 6 preseason games . This change comes about , I assume, because the coaches/owners don't want to play their highest paid players?
If that's the case, then let's just go with one preseason game as they have made up their minds regarding the starters based on money.
The NFL will continue to fuck up the sport.

Wouldn’t the 17th game be best set as a “rivalry” game. Ex. 49ers vs Raiders every year instead of every 4th. And they could basically create some where they didn’t previously exist.

Is 49ers-Raiders still are rivalry with one team in Vegas?

Used them as an example, albeit maybe a weak one. A lot of these new “rival” games would be manufactured from scratch as most rivalries are within each team’s division.

But why not Giants Jets, 9ers Raiders, Chargers Rams, Texans Cowboys, Dolphins Bucs, etc. less travel and try to create some local rivalries.

Used them as an example, albeit maybe a weak one. A lot of these new “rival” games would be manufactured from scratch as most rivalries are within each team’s division.

But why not Giants Jets, 9ers Raiders, Chargers Rams, Texans Cowboys, Dolphins Bucs, etc. less travel and try to create some local rivalries.

Lions - Browns!

all joing aside, both of our examples are AFC-NFC... how does that work the year you are playing that division?

Here’s an idea, play the 16 game schedule as it currently stands then in week 17 play division games only, 2nd place at 1st place and 4th place at 3rd place. It does the following:

1) creates potential end of season drama
2) rewards best team to date with home revenue
3) penalizes worst team to date with one less home game, creating long term incentives to improve

Rather than force fake regional rivalries on teams like Minny and NO, strengthen the division rivalries with that bonus game.

Here’s an idea, play the 16 game schedule as it currently stands then in week 17 play division games only, 2nd place at 1st place and 4th place at 3rd place. It does the following:

1) creates potential end of season drama
2) rewards best team to date with home revenue
3) penalizes worst team to date with one less home game, creating long term incentives to improve

Rather than force fake regional rivalries on teams like Minny and NO, strengthen the division rivalries with that bonus game.

I like this idea, but they won’t ever do it since they will be alternating which teams have 9 homes games vs those with 8. With your scenario, the same teams could hypothetically get the extra home game every year. And even though homefield means as little now as it ever has, the NFL is run by morons.

The much easier thing, that adds the extra week for the nfl tv deals is to add another bye

Give teams two byes, play 16 games, but have it be an 18 week schedule instead of 17

You get an extra week of football for tv, and theres 2 less games during 8 of the week in the early starts

Players get extra bye, owners can sell an extra week of games seems easiest thing, not sure why it hasnt been brought up

Too many playoff teams

I go back and forth on it, but that’s deep for playoff

Agreed. You are spreading it thin at the bottom now. A crappy Steelers team would've gotten in this year. Although some years good teams get left out and garbage 9-7 and 8-8 teams win divisions.

Who do you guys want to see for the 17th game? Conference game or out of conference game? I think it's probably fairer to just let it be another conference game. I messed around with the schedules for this year with a 17th game and here's what I came up with assuming you seed from the previous years results 1-16 for both leagues. I just went down the list and tried to match up the teams and who they aren't faced to schedule. I tried to keep it along the lines of keeping 1st place schedule, etc. Balt is already set to face KC, NE, and Houston. So the next highest, different opponent they could play is Buffalo. I tried to keep this principal the whole way. It got a little messy at the bottom because of how the schedule played out. I did the first in conference. Then I tried it by going out of conference and tried to seed the 1s from both sides and went from there. Of course without having rematch games, which unfortunately did happen. KC and NO were already scheduled to play. So GB replaced NO for KC. Also please note these rankings don't take into account the playoff performance. Schedules are determined on the division finish. This is why KC is still behind BALT.

1) Balt Buff SF
2) KC Houston GB
3) NE Tenn NO
4) Houston KC Philly
5) Buff Balt Minn
6) Tenn NE Sea
7) Pitts Oak Rams
8) Denver Jax Chi
9) Indy LAC Dallas
10) Raiders Pitts AZ
11) Jets Cincy ATL
12) Cleve Miami Tampa
13) Jax Denver Caro
14) Chargers Colts Giants
15) Miami Cleve Wash
16) Cincy Jets Detroit

1) SF Minn Balt
2) GB Sea KC
3) NO Rams NE
4) Phil Chi Hous
5) Sea GB Tenn
6) Minn SF Buff
7) Rams NO Pitts
8) Chi Phil Denver
9) Dallas Caro Indy
10) Atl AZ Jets
11) TB Wash Cleve
12) Arizona ATL Raiders
13) Caro Dallas Jax
14) NYG Det Chargers
15) Det NYG Cincy
16) Wash TB Miami

I apologize. It didn't margin like I wanted to. So basically 1) Balt would play Buff or SF in my my 17th game schedule.

Wild card weekend is gonna be incredible

I'm guessing cbs and fox get the extra games this year at least? Will prolly change with new tv deal, espn/abc and nbc gonna want in on that

So it's basically gonna be

January 1 and 2 college bowl games, maybe 3rd too?
January 9 and 10 - tripleheaders
Jan 11 natty
Jan 16 and 17 - doubleheaders

Inject that straight in my veins

I'm guessing cbs and fox get the extra games this year at least? Will prolly change with new tv deal, espn/abc and nbc gonna want in on that

CBS and NBC this year.

But yeah, probably change with new deal, maybe ESPN/FOX get next year and it rotates?

I still think it penalizes the #2 seed too much and the #1 seed has a huge advantage now. But at this point, 3 games Saturday and Sunday sounds pretty damn good.

Yeah, one more game each day that I will "grey" out.

Back