New OT rule for 2019

Just let it end in a tie, for God's sake.

Then again, Clemson has stopped 13 of the last 14 two-point plays by opponents, so if we ever get there. . . .

Just let it end in a tie, for God's sake.

Then again, Clemson has stopped 13 of the last 14 two-point plays by opponents, so if we ever get there. . . .

what? worst suggestion ever. there should be no ties in sports.

although I will say, I do hate all of these things sports are doing. Baseball experimenting with starting extra innings with a runner on 2nd. Shootouts in hockey, now this; for fucks sake, just make them play until somebody wins

Strategy changes in OT. The fun thing with a tie scenario is teams would play for a tie, be more aggressive and perhaps go for 2 to win it (sorry @cubsker ).

although I will say, I do hate all of these things sports are doing. Baseball experimenting with starting extra innings with a runner on 2nd. Shootouts in hockey, now this; for fucks sake, just make them play until somebody wins

Soccer the most popular sport in the world has ties all the time. Liverpool will probably lose the Premier league because they had 7 draws...so it is an element of strategy in how the tie plays into the season overall record works for playoffs and seeding, etc.

And the human element of stupidity in not understanding a tie is enormous.

Frank Reich decided a tie was the same as a loss and with 30 seconds left in OT missed a 4th down from his own 44 and the Colts lost a game to Houston this season. If they hadn't lost that game they would have won the division and hosted a home game in the playoffs. Colts win that division and the may have avoided having to go on the road to a KC team playing on a cold snowy, wet track....huge, huge implications all based on a one ignorant decision.

I don‘t see what‘s wrong with ties. Aren‘t they more reflective of what happened in a game than a win in a game that requires multiple overtimes to end? It gets to the point where it seems unfair and deceptive to call a team a winner and the other a loser

I don‘t see what‘s wrong with ties. Aren‘t they more reflective of what happened in a game than a win in a game that requires multiple overtimes to end? It gets to the point where it seems unfair and deceptive to call a team a winner and the other a loser

why? it would e fair to reward the team that eventually scores, no matter how long it takes.

You talking about 1966?

Brings me back to late 60s. It was Harvard vs Yale, both undefeated. Most memorable game I ever saw. Harvard scored 16 points in the last 42 seconds to tie at 29-29. No time left on clock when last score was made. Harvard’s second string QB was in for those last two touchdowns. Yale’s star running back was Calvin Hill.

I am a strong proponent of ties. They can be very useful breaking ties in the standings at season ends. Finally, being a dog lover, I will usually have a winning bet when game ends in a tie.
With you all the way, mr M.W.

I recall going to two games that ended in ties. First was Duke-Clemson 1976. I don't know how Clemson got to 18, but Clemson led 18-15 with a couple seconds left. Duke's PK Vinnie Fusco (who had already kicked five FG's) lined up for a 57-yarder. Clemson put Stan Rome (a 6-5 receiver who also played on the hoops team) in the back of the end zone as if he were there to goaltend. I was about 30 feet behind the goal posts. Fusco kicked it and sure enough it hit the cross bar and bounced over to tie the game. Rome just watched it go over his head. It took 40 years before I was able to determine that it would have been illegal for Rome to block it at the bar (leaving me to wonder why he was there in the first place). That was much more dramatic than an overtime decision.

The other tie was in Baltimore in 1986. Clemson 17, Maryland 17, and it was absolutely freezing. Not many in that crowd would have preferred overtime to a tie in that weather.

Last edited:
Back