New Orleans...

reNew Orleans

Clubbin' with Rasual Butler
PELICANS

apparently thats the new mascot. And team colors are rumored to be red, navy blue, and gold.

and bobcats would no longer be, they would reclaim hornets.

that is all. I was hoping we'd go with something like
View attachment 29478

Should just let New Orleans have the "Jazz" back, let Utah pick a new name, move the Kings to Seattle and be done with it.

The best name I saw was the NO Krewe. There was an article with a bunch of ideas that readers submitted to ESPN Uni Watch, and there were a couple of good ones. The Pelicans is a fucking joke. Is the franchise moving to the WNBA, and it just hasn't been announced yet? Some of the other ideas that I saw were the Brass, the Crescents, the Steamers, and the Crawfish.

The NO Krewe seems to be a prefect fit for the city, not sure how anyone could pick the Pelicans over the Krewe. Makes no sense at all.

Krewe wouldve been good. Brass wouldve been fine but it's too close to Jazz. Dont think I ever saw a mention of Steamers or Crawfish. Voodoo, Big Chiefs, Spirits were other things I saw as potential names.

Bounce would be the best as it's completely relevant to the city's culture today. Stern and Benson probably didnt want to have any part of "Bounce" if theyre concerned with the image of the NBA, players, etc.

Pelicans have a past history in New Orleans as a baseball team, that was probably a partial influence.

NBA reportedly files trademark for Pelicans, four other possible New Orleans nicknames

According to a report on a Milwaukee Bucks fan site behindthebuckpass.com, an attorney who normally handles trademark protection for the NBA filed trademarks on behalf of the league for the New Orleans Pelicans and four other nicknames.

8130260-large.jpg
The brown pelican is the state bird of Louisiana.
Scott Threlkeld, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

It was reported last month by Yahoo!Sports that New Orleans owner Tom Benson was leaning toward Pelicans as the new nickname for his franchise. The team said a name has not been settled on.

The other names that attorney Anil V. George filed to protect: New Orleans Rougarou, New Orleans Mosquitos, New Orleans Swamp Dogs and New Orleans Bullsharks.

According to the website, Rougarou refers to a beast from Louisiana folklore, a monster from oral traditions that varies from a werewolf-like blood-seeking beast to a boogeyman.

We are checking with the Hornets and the NBA for comment. Please check back for updates.

rumors are that this is going to be official tomorrow 3 PM

Updated: 1/23:
The team called a press conference on Thursday at 3, as Peralta indicated. The conference will have visuals and is not just a verbal announcement, so it is likely at least a partial unveiling. The players will be back from San Antonio and done with practice, so they will be available to model uniforms.
Marc Spears has reported the conference is to announce the rebrand to New Orleans Pelicans, that the colors are red, blue, and gold, that it starts next season, and merchandise availabilty is to be determined.

Updated: 1/22:

One of our readers, Jose Molero, pointed us to some tweets from one of the team’s Spanish Broadcasters, Emilio Peralta, about the rebrand.Translation from google:
I just got out of meeting with Hornets-Saints: it’s official. On Thursday announced the name change and show logos, uniform Pelicanos
@ hornets were called Pelicans. Announcement will be on Thursday at 3pm sand. Gov. Jindal will be present

Bounce woulda been the shit....coulda lived with Krewe and can Live with Pelicans

some of those others, my God

and Spirit was awful

monty is a great coach.

he's getting more than I ever imagined out of guys like Jason Smith. Just a young team/shallow bench.

Back