New Orleans vs. Phoenix Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Pelicans vs. Suns NBA Picks and Predictions

New Orleans Pelicans vs. Phoenix Suns
Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 10 p.m. ET (TNT) at PHX Arena in Phoenix, Arizona

Phoenix Offense’s Slow Start

Anticipation rose when point guard Chris Paul arrived to Phoenix.

But reality is not like a video game where a team can acquire a higher-rated player and instantly become better.

The “under” is 3-0 in Phoenix games so far because the offense is off to a slow start.

Last year, the Suns ranked 12th in offensive rating. This year, they have dropped to 19th in the category.

Problems With Paul

Devin Booker is a rising star in the NBA. Last season, he was accorded his first All-Star selection.

One could only speculate how the arrival of Paul would sit with Booker.

Could Paul coexist with the Phoenix star better than he did with the star in Houston, James Harden?

The two players are certainly still learning to coexist. Questions about personality aside, one big issue is style.

Paul likes to walk the ball up the court often at zombie-like pace. He wants to slow down.

Booker and his remaining teammates from last year, though, are used to playing at a faster pace.

Last year, the Suns ranked ninth in pace. This year, they have dropped to 19th in the category. This drop is the product and a reflection of the difficulties involved in trying to incorporate this new key piece into the offense.

Phoenix’ offensive lag is important to mention because Paul was brought in to replace the departed Ricky Rubio for his offense.

Rubio is a very fine defender who is known for his superb basketball IQ. He will instantly recognize what the opposing offense wants to do and he will organize his teammates by communicating with them.

With Phoenix’s offense currently lagging behind what it was last year, Paul has so far helped the Suns become worse than they were last year.

I’m sure that, over time, this will change. But right now, Paul does not fit in with Phoenix and the Suns are worse off for it.

Phoenix’s Issues On Defense: Guarding Zion

Sun center Deandre Ayton will have his hands full because he has to account for two different things.

One, he has to account for the roll man in Phoenix’s pick-and-roll game. This man will typically be Steven Adams.

Adams and his teammates already enjoy great chemistry as Brandon Ingram and others are able to hit him in stride to the basket.

The Pelicans easily rank number one right now in PPP (points-per-possession) on the pick-and-roll roll man largely because of Adams.

But Phoenix will also need Ayton to help out against the young star, New Orleans’ Zion Williamson.

Zion has over 70 pounds on Sun defenders Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson.

Jae Crowder does have more of the appropriate, generic body type, although he is still far behind in weight and behind in wing span compared to Zion. Crowder also lacks the necessary speed and strength.

The former Duke superstar is averaging 21.7 points per game right now. Zion is also accruing at least 10 rebounds in every game so far.

Brandon Ingram’s Ascension

Pelican forward Brandon Ingram is building off of his breakout season last year where he earned the NBA Most Improved Player award.

He’ll be guarded mostly by Mikal Bridges.

Both Bridges and Ingram boast similar defensive ratings.

Ingram’s superb offense — he’s currently averaging a career-high 26.7 points and 6.7 assists per game — will establish the difference between the two.

Ingram has the ball-handling prowess of a guard, which is why guards often match up with him.

His excellent footwork with the basketball, his length, his characteristic spin move, and his gigantic step forward as a shooter enable him to produce high scoring outputs.

The Verdict

Offensively, Phoenix is still figuring things out as it tries to incorporate Chris Paul.

Defensively, the Suns are disadvantaged especially in the front court.

On top of Zion, Brandon Ingram will prove difference-making with his scoring edge.

Those two players largely explain why I prefer to bet on the Pelicans ATS over another Phoenix Sun under.

Best Bet: Pelicans +3 at -105 with BetOnline

Won't disagree, final outcome may see Pels winning the game but Zion looks like a complete disaster. He better toughen up, he's not a threat at the moment imo.

Won't disagree, final outcome may see Pels winning the game but Zion looks like a complete disaster. He better toughen up, he's not a threat at the moment imo.

he’s averaging 22 and 12 on 50% shooting. He’s only played like 2 dozen games in his career.

Reactions: KJ
I'm only talking about what I've seen the first three games this year. The numbers are there (of course he should be getting double digit boards) but I've seen him force so many shots, specifically against Miami and the Spurs. His stat line looks great against the Heat, but he played smaller than his size when contested. Not like I'm calling him a bust lol, that's not the case, just pointing out that the first week he's seemed awfully lethargic. Maybe that's just part of getting into game shape.

I'm only talking about what I've seen the first three games this year. The numbers are there (of course he should be getting double digit boards) but I've seen him force so many shots, specifically against Miami and the Spurs. His stat line looks great against the Heat, but he played smaller than his size when contested. Not like I'm calling him a bust lol, that's not the case, just pointing out that the first week he's seemed awfully lethargic. Maybe that's just part of getting into game shape.

i tend to agree when watching him. Sometimes when he’s barreling into the paint and it doesn’t go well it comes off sort of cringe

Reactions: KJ
Back