New 'New Orleans Hornets' Logo: Cool, jerseys soon

wreck

Pretty much a regular
The 20-Year-Old Hornet
hornets_logo.gif

The New Orleans Hornets — celebrating its 20 years in the NBA, shared with the recently nip-tucked Timberwolves — have updated the logo that has basically remained the same since 1989. It even survived the move from Charlotte to New Orleans for the 2002–2003 season. Could we be experiencing a new trend? Of designers, marketers and team owners recognizing equity where there is some? Instead of swatting away known icons for the sake of change?

Anyway, there is really not much information about this logo, other than this post, so like the Timberwolves logo, it's nice to just look at a before and after and dig on the evolution. The old hornet was rather campy with its Mickey Mouse gloves, perplexed expression and funky shows, while the new one is smirkily confident, has better kicks and lost the gloves. The drawing of the basketball is much better too. The typography remains as funky as the old one, it's neither good nor bad, it just seems to revel in oddity and awkwardness. A nice update all around.

The big logo below looks like it was taken from a Flash animation, which usually mangles vector artwork and would explain the squiggly lines. I really doubt the actual logo would be like that. So I would suggest not railing on the vector work.
hornets_detail.gif

the fleur de bee
092707_FleurdeBee_story.jpg
will be on the center court this year. Not the big H they had last year. and the color scheme of the fleur will be darker to match the new updated color scheme.

I've always liked the fleur de bee, and the new hornet looks good, too.

The font, engh, I'm not sold, but it's very New Orleans and overall the whole thing is quite nice.

One thing they did miss, though, they left out the honeycomb on the bottom of the kicks, that was a nice touch.

bump

in case you haven't seen em, they look an awful like the old Charlotte Hornets unis with some updates like the stripes on the sides. Im not sure if the old charlotte unis had alternating pinstripes but the pinstripes and "creole blue" make it look like charlotte

ept_sports_nba_experts-122490916-1219328536.jpg

newlogo4.jpg

newlogo3.jpg

capt.b60745e694df457396f28284bd106f71.spain_wizard_hornets_basketball_mf802.jpg

i like em. the whites do remind me of old school Charlotte, which is a good thing. not a huge fan of the darks though. i would have like to see the dark one with a lot more black in it. maybe even totally black with the gold numbers and gold stripes. would look sick as hell imo. overall I give em a B/B+.

Back