New Mexico State vs Utah State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, I was initially assigned NC A&T vs Grambling State. I am super glad to cover this game.
I also get that we have an NMS expert in @vk.

Pick Utah State to End New Mexico State's Dreams

New Mexico State (6-6) plays Utah State (6-6) on Friday December 29 at 5:30 PM ET at the Arizona Bowl in Tucson. Utah State is favored by 3.5 points.

Pocket passer Tyler Rogers leads New Mexico State's pass-first offense that ranks 2nd in pass play percentage.

Rogers throws so frequently partly because of his lack of run support. New Mexico State is led by Larry Rose's 4.7 yards per carry. Rose's ability to make NMS two-dimensional on offense, and thus to give the defense more to worry about, has been crucial for NMS in a betting sense. The Aggies are 4-0 ATS when Rose averages more than 4.5 yards per carry. Conversely, all 5 of their non-covers came when Rose averages less than 4.5 YPC. The Aggies have failed to cover 4 out of their last 5 games because Rose has been struggling more as the season progresses.

Rose's performance should be crucial vs a Utah State team who allows the 5th-highest run play percentage. Teams typically try to run against Utah State in order to avoid the strength of their defense. Utah State ranks 47th in opposing passer rating despite having faced the likes of Alex Hornibrook of Wisconsin, John Wolford of Wake Forest and Nick Stevens of Colorado State--quarterbacks, who have achieved a higher caliber than Rogers. Teams would rather try to exploit the weakness of Utah State's defense. New Mexico State, in mounting a run-heavy offense against Utah State, would be uncomfortable considering their proclivity to pass.

In order to achieve a balanced offense, consisting of a strong pass and run attack, two things need to happen for NMS: their defense needs to keep the game close enough and Rose needs to run well. Neither possibility seems likely.

From September 30 to November 18 NMS allowed 35+ points in every game. They got to face two teams outside the top 100 in total offense in the past two weeks. But Utah State ranks 71st in the category. Utah State likes to score by achieving turnovers. Tyler Rogers is vulnerable to interceptions, having thrown 16 on the season, mostly away from home. Moreover, Utah State boasts a respectable rush attack led by LaJuan Hunt's 6.8 YPC in November and the big run plays of receivers Gerold Bright and Aaren Vaughns.

Quarterback Jordan Love, who took over for Kent Myers during the Wyoming game and kept his team competitive against the Cowboys' highly-ranked pass defense, provides Utah State's offense with balance. Unlike Rogers, he doesn't make too many costly errors, having thrown just 2 interceptions in his 5 games as a starter. Utah State's offense should benefit from the good field position achieved by their turnover-hungry defense, the relatively mistake-free play of Love and the strength of their rush attack.

The Verdict

New Mexico State achieved bowl eligibility for the first time in 57 years in the final seconds of their last game. Utah State, who has made a bowl in 6 of their last 7 seasons, will not simply be excited to be in Tucson. They expect to win and should cover behind a well-tested defense that can limit the strength of New Mexico State's offense, its passing attack, behind a stronger turnover margin and behind its rush attack.

NCAAF Pick: Utah State -3.5

Well written, clear and concise.

Early for me, but I tend to have different feelings.

You are correct that NMSt has often struggled to run the ball. Those struggles haven't limited their offensive production however.

Utah State has faced some truly awful and below average passing attacks, I only rate 4 of the pass Os they faced as good (Wisconsin not really good, but good in the sense of B1G vs MWC good, Boise, CSU and WF) and those teams absolutely had their way with that D. I think Rogers can most certainly do the same. Not saying he is as good as those other QBs, but he will have opportunities and he is capable of making those plays. Only hesitation, as you point out, are the INTs, which turnovers are the concern with any team, but it is especially worrisome due to Roger's style. He is a bit of gun slinger which can lead to some big plays and some oh no's as well. He really reminds me alot of Josh Allen from last year in a passing sense (Rogers is mobile, but won't be used as a dual threat to make plays like Allen did).

Their 3 biggest loses vs Sun Belt teams (don't see too much benefit in looking at the Arz St and Arkansas games, but their were some bright spots in those despite the lopsidedness of the games). Arkansas State game, simply put New Mexico State was outclassed. NMSt led at halftime, but Ark St just dominated the second half. The App St game was a wild one. Better team on field that day I think was actually NMSt even though they lost by 14...6 INTs will do that. I ML'd them and watched alot of the game. It was really a wasted performance, I came away disappointed but content with my bet on them even though they didn't cover. The ULL game was also a wild one, it was tied 34-34 in the 4th, but after Rodgers was knocked out of the game his back up threw INTs on 3 straight possessions to end the game.

So to me, even in their worst games vs similar teams this year, really only the Arkansas St game was a clear mismatch and lopsided affair. Ark St D made is very difficult on them in the 2nd half. And potentially Utah St could do that here, although they haven't really shown that ability vs competent offenses they've seen.

I think the bigger reason why you or anyone could like Utah St is the NMSt D. NMSt D does have outstanding sack and TFL numbers and while a little skewed by a couple big games, they have shown very good ability to make plays behind the LOS. So the run D stats are much improved this season because of a huge jump in their sack and TFL figures, but they are not strong against the run at all and Utah St is going to have success there. WR Tarver came on down the stretch as a big play stud and like you say QB Love has rounded into shape nicely as the season wore on.

Utah St had a misleading loss to Wyoming, but a misleading win over New Mexico. The game vs CSU was never really close. Think CSU got up 27-0 early and looked to woodshed instead just took their foot off the gas like very early. The BYU game was crazy misleading. Not that BYU was significantly better and Utah St significantly worse, but that was more of a coin flip game than the 16 pt USU win implies. So I feel there are more games that USU got results that were misleading in their favor. I mean a loss is a loss, but CSU could've really buried them. And BYU imploded, which isn't surprising, although the fashion in which it happened was surprising.

Probably more to be said here, others will chime I'm sure and I will probably have more later as well. I think maybe you are a little too low on NMSt's overall O potential and a little too high on Utah St's D potential, I don't see their pass D as any kind of strength at all vs this offense. But it is hard to overstate the qualities of the Utah St O vs NMSt D weakness angle which might determine the game. I think NMSt may be able to put together a good gameplan on D (Frank Spaziani is DC), but it is still going to be a challenge.

Reread my post. I meant the BYU - Utah St should've been a pretty even game, aka coin flip, didn't imply the game was played in such a way that it was even and it came down to a fluke at the end of the game or something. It actually came down to alot of flukes throughout to the benefit for Utah State. Alot of people were big on BYU in that game and thinking about how it started, before the turnovers and mayhem I don;t think USU was looking too good. It doesn't mean a ton here for this upcoming bowl, it was a long time ago and things change, just the more we can kind of understand about the teams and how they got where they are fill in the puzzle pieces. If that game would've went as many expected Utah St wouldn't even been here.

One of the more unexpected sequence of events and crazy games of the year. I know you weren't alone on that one, BYU was popular here, with reason, Utah St was not playing well at the time. Hopefully you have some better memories of better winners to wash over the flashbacks on that one.

It's a rematch! 1960 Sun Bowl...

18968.jpg

@JROCK1966

Dogs with a line of 3.5pts and totalbetween 60-65pts are 0-4 SU, 0-4 ATS, and the O/U record is 0-4 in SDQLdatabase history. This trend currently is active on Middle Tennessee St. and New Mexico St. which is great news for Utah St. and Arkansas State backers

s--k has had an affinity for NMSU all year so take whatever he says with a grain of salt with this team haha

Yup, just got my New Mexico State shirt out of the closet! Pretty excited for this game. Probably the most excited I've been for any game so far!

@JROCK1966

Dogs with a line of 3.5pts and totalbetween 60-65pts are 0-4 SU, 0-4 ATS, and the O/U record is 0-4 in SDQLdatabase history. This trend currently is active on Middle Tennessee St. and New Mexico St. which is great news for Utah St. and Arkansas State backers

What does it say when the line is 4.5 pts?

That was fun. Fans rushed the field. Players acted like they won the lottery. That's why I like teams like that. When you win all the time, does winning this Cotton Bowl really mean that much to Ohio St? Sure they will be happy. But don't think it can match what those NMSt fans and players felt.

No disrespect to your Utah St thread VC, both teams squandered some chances and made plenty of mistakes that could've changed the outcome.

I refuse to cap special teams. Unless it's like TCU or PSU because I know both have solid returners. Unless I have to. But then I still won't mention it in write-up still unless the returner also happens to be a receiver and i'm already talking about passing game. So I mention it in ML Parlay with absence of Deebo for SC. Limited space man 600 words is hard. Can't be talking about kickers lol

Back