New All Star game format verdict...

skanless13

Fly, Eagles, Fly!
For me, it was a huge success. I really love this new format and the intensity it brought, especially at the end. I was skeptical when I first heard about the change in format, but I was wrong. This was easily the most entertaining of ANY All Star game in any league of at least the past 30 years.
How did you all like it?

For me, it was a huge success. I really love this new format and the intensity it brought, especially at the end. I was skeptical when I first heard about the change in format, but I was wrong. This was easily the most entertaining of ANY All Star game in any league of at least the past 30 years.
How did you all like it?
Best one since 1993 I would say.

The 2001 game was pretty good as well... 2003 not too shabby....

The 4th quarter is a HUGE success...

But....

eliminate

-too much ref involvement

-replay

-stoppages in play

It was obvious who was going to win the 2nd based on the 1st qtr results. Wasn't given a line once game topped, or I would have hammered it. Did not like this format at all. Just play and give money to these charities based on results. Maybe $1k/point, IDK...

Can Someone tell me why these guys can’t play like that all the time?

Last edited:
Can Someone tell me why these guys can’t play like that all the time?

1) Because in the grand scheme it's still just an exhibition.
2) As noted earlier the format was set up for a 1 win for each first half. Nobody wants the other team's charity to walk out empty handed.
3) The old cliche of "all you need to do is watch the last two minutes" still rings true.

I think target score is the way to go in all the major sports. Timed endings are passe.

NFL - fourth quarter - target score is leading team plus 9 points.
NHL - third period - target score is leading team plus a goal.
MLB - after six innings - target score is leading team plus two runs.

The beauty of the target score is no team is ever dead until the target score is reached. And winning teams need to go on attack all the way to the end. No more 4 minute offenses, neutral zone traps, dedicated closers.

That 4th was great. I didn’t know anything about the changes goin in and I flipped the channel for a minute.....came back and was like, “ Bro I KNOW this game was in the 30-40’s now it’s in the 20’s?!
Am I hallucinating?

I think target score is the way to go in all the major sports. Timed endings are passe.

NFL - fourth quarter - target score is leading team plus 9 points.
NHL - third period - target score is leading team plus a goal.
MLB - after six innings - target score is leading team plus two runs.

The beauty of the target score is no team is ever dead until the target score is reached. And winning teams need to go on attack all the way to the end. No more 4 minute offenses, neutral zone traps, dedicated closers.
For football?

They can adjust that. Haralobob is donating 50k to the losing charity I saw last night.

Was kinda shocked that one of the players didn't stop ernie and say were gonna add 300k and make it equal, I'm sure something being done behind the scenes, but would have been a big moment

Best one since 1993 I would say.

The 2001 game was pretty good as well... 2003 not too shabby....

The 4th quarter is a HUGE success...

But....

eliminate

-too much ref involvement

-replay

-stoppages in play

The bonus situation needs to be fixed, should be no bonus

Also not winning on a free throw, best argument I saw was haralabob with making it so free throws in the 4th q take away a point from other team, instead of adding to yours

I think we are years away from any major sport doing this, special events or lower levels should definitely start experimenting

But nba summer league should definitely do it, it already works great in TBT

Not so sure it works for the other sports as well as baskets, it's good for basketball because there are so many points

I can see the nhl asg doing it, maybe that 3 on 3 league starting next year. Dont see it ever getting there to actual nhl games tho

Xfl I wonder if for season 2?

Main reason why I dont see this ever coming to a big 4 league is gambling though, especially as they all embrace it more

Also not winning on a free throw, best argument I saw was haralabob with making it so free throws in the 4th q take away a point from other team, instead of adding to yours
Would help with the team spread. Had Lebron last night and knew it was toast once I figured out the 4th qtr stopping point. It was too big to come back from. Even if G's squad played like trash down the stretch.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you <a href="After School Matters (@AftrSchoolMttrs) | Twitter">@Aftrschoolmttrs</a> for your energy as you inspired us. It was an honor to play for you. On behalf of our team, we’re going to donate another $100k to support your great work. Keep it up! <a href="After School Matters on Twitter">After School Matters on Twitter</a></p>&mdash; Giannis Antetokounmpo (@Giannis_An34) <a href=" ">February 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So they roughly chipped in 10k each, come on man.

Could do better. Short arms, deep pockets.

Janice scored zero points in the 4th last night and it will be the same in the latter stages of the playoffs...

Interesting idea.

Wasn’t a fan of the game at all, UNTIL the 4th q. That 4th q was amazing, and the competitiveness really came out instead of just watching a dunk/lay up line and 3 point shoutout. I will say I didn’t like the game ending on a FT, surely they can come up with a better way to end the game, and there were way too many stoppages of play/fouls, but overall the 4th q saved the game

Wasn’t a fan of the game at all, UNTIL the 4th q. That 4th q was amazing, and the competitiveness really came out instead of just watching a dunk/lay up line and 3 point shoutout. I will say I didn’t like the game ending on a FT, surely they can come up with a better way to end the game, and there were way too many stoppages of play/fouls, but overall the 4th q saved the game
I thought parts of the 1st 2 quarters were ok, the 3rd quarter pretty good, and the 4th tremendous.

Back