NCAAF Conference realignment

Wolfeman

Pretty much a regular
Just a late night Wolfeman though2026 we will no longer have conferences IMO, it might get a whole lot better, stay tuned
thumbs_up
I project a North/South/East/West format… with the Goal to make the Sweet 16 playoffs:
Let’s take a look ahead at End of Season ‘26 heading to the playoffs in my crystal ball:

South: 1.Bama 2.UGA 3.LSU 4. Tennessee

East: 1.Clemson 2.Florida St 3. Florida 4. Tex A&M

West: 1.Oregon 2.USC 3.TCU 4.Texas

North: 1.Ohio St 2. Michigan 3.Penn St 4.Notre Dame

Very interested in other thoughts…
an_popcorn
Something tells me USC/UCLA really got excited and shot their load early on a bad situation (weeee let’s join BIG10!!) No reason to leave the west and visit Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue. C’mon man.

Just a wild prediction, but the above 2026 Regional Conferences would make for one helluva “SWEET 16” Tournament for NCAAF… Feel free to insert your favorite team missing the cut. I based my prediction off Alumni$$/History/Facilities/Recruitng/.
What say you?

I agree that there will be 4 conferences by then, but they'll be shaped much differently.

I'd expect the B16 to add at least 4 more, if not 8 total by the end of the decade. They'll grab some AAU schools out west (Stan, Cal, Oregon and Wash all qualify). The next step then would be to raid the ACC (Virginia, GT, Duke, UNC for example.

The TV deal they have struck puts them in prime position right now. They also will be in negotiations again for a new deal before the current SEC contract expires. That is why you are seeing some animosity from the SEC folk right now, imo.

We'll see how the B12 moves, as they likely will start picking up the scraps from the P12. If they can beat the B16 to the punch on some of these (Oregon for example), that would be huge.

So, who else ends up in the SEC? Miami? FSU? Clemson?

That is my quick thoughts.

Notre Dame always a fun wild card there. Eventually, they will have to cave in.

I like your idea from a regional aspect but $$$ will win out as this decade progresses...

I agree that there will be 4 conferences by then, but they'll be shaped much differently.

I'd expect the B16 to add at least 4 more, if not 8 total by the end of the decade. They'll grab some AAU schools out west (Stan, Cal, Oregon and Wash all qualify). The next step then would be to raid the ACC (Virginia, GT, Duke, UNC for example.

The TV deal they have struck puts them in prime position right now. They also will be in negotiations again for a new deal before the current SEC contract expires. That is why you are seeing some animosity from the SEC folk right now, imo.

We'll see how the B12 moves, as they likely will start picking up the scraps from the P12. If they can beat the B16 to the punch on some of these (Oregon for example), that would be huge.

I like your idea from a regional aspect but $$$ will win out as this decade progresses...
Great stuff B.A.R.

I could see Kansas dictating how the B12 moves forward. The reason being, B12 has clearly committed itself to being THE basketball conference.

As for football, it’s a program on the rise and with the $200M injection into facilities, it’s going to be on Alabama/UGA level in terms for national interest.

With all the talent between North Dakota and Texas they actually might just have their own conference and maybe invite Oklahoma and Texas back into the mix. That’s assuming OU and UT stay competitive.

I could see Kansas dictating how the B12 moves forward. The reason being, B12 has clearly committed itself to being THE basketball conference.

As for football, it’s a program on the rise and with the $200M injection into facilities, it’s going to be on Alabama/UGA level in terms for national interest.

With all the talent between North Dakota and Texas they actually might just have their own conference and maybe invite Oklahoma and Texas back into the mix. That’s assuming OU and UT stay competitive.
I agree teapot what folks are missing is that Basketball is absolutely tied in. Same wealthy bastards involved. Love the Rock Chalk Pride bud…

I've come up with 4,18-team Super conferences. 72 total teams. So with BYU, UCF, Cincy Houston, Notre Dame. You need 3 more teams. So I used Boise St, San Diego St and Memphis. I know Memphis won't be popular. There's grumblings SMU will be included in the new Pac 12. But they don't do it for me.

Anyway here goes.

ACC
1) BC. 1) UCF
2) Syracuse. 2) Memphis
3) Pitt. 3) Miami
4) Cincinnati. 4) Duke
5) Rutgers. 5) UNC
6) Virginia. 6) NC St
7) Virginia Tech. 7) Wake Forest
8) Maryland. 8) Clemson
9) Louisville. 9) GA Tech

SEC
1) Texas. 1) Florida
2) Oklahoma. 2) Florida St.
3) Okie St. 3) Georgia
4) Arkansas. 4) West Virginia
5) Texas A&M. 5) Kentucky
6) Auburn. 6) Tennessee
7) Alabama. 7) Vandy
8) Ole Miss. 8) South Carolina
9) Mississippi St. 9) LSU

Pac 18
1) Stanford. 1) Arizona
2) Cal. 2) Arizona St
3) Utah. 3) Baylor
4) Oregon. 4) BYU
5) Oregon St. 5) Colorado
6) Washington. 6) Houston
7) Washington St. 7) Iowa St
8) San Diego St. 8) TCU
9) Boise St. 9) Texas Tech

Big 18
1) Illinois. 1) Iowa
2) Indiana. 2) Kansas
3) Michigan. 3) Kansas St
4) Michigan St. 4) Missouri
5) Minnesota. 5) Nebraska
6) Northwestern. 6) Notre Dame
7) Ohio St. 7) UCLA
8) Purdue. 8) USC
9) Penn St. 9) Wisconsin

I feel like the ACC SEC and Pac 18 makes sense in mine. The Big 18 gets messy because of usc and ucla.

I like WV in the SEC although you could easily swap them and Clemson or Louisville.

To me Notre Dame always seemed like a B1G program than an ACC one.

Same with Missouri in the B1G and not the SEC.

(I apologize it didn't justify the way I wanted it to. They run together I know)

I've come up with 4,18-team Super conferences. 72 total teams. So with BYU, UCF, Cincy Houston, Notre Dame. You need 3 more teams. So I used Boise St, San Diego St and Memphis. I know Memphis won't be popular. There's grumblings SMU will be included in the new Pac 12. But they don't do it for me.

Anyway here goes.

ACC
1) BC. 1) UCF
2) Syracuse. 2) Memphis
3) Pitt. 3) Miami
4) Cincinnati. 4) Duke
5) Rutgers. 5) UNC
6) Virginia. 6) NC St
7) Virginia Tech. 7) Wake Forest
8) Maryland. 8) Clemson
9) Louisville. 9) GA Tech

SEC
1) Texas. 1) Florida
2) Oklahoma. 2) Florida St.
3) Okie St. 3) Georgia
4) Arkansas. 4) West Virginia
5) Texas A&M. 5) Kentucky
6) Auburn. 6) Tennessee
7) Alabama. 7) Vandy
8) Ole Miss. 8) South Carolina
9) Mississippi St. 9) LSU

Pac 18
1) Stanford. 1) Arizona
2) Cal. 2) Arizona St
3) Utah. 3) Baylor
4) Oregon. 4) BYU
5) Oregon St. 5) Colorado
6) Washington. 6) Houston
7) Washington St. 7) Iowa St
8) San Diego St. 8) TCU
9) Boise St. 9) Texas Tech

Big 18
1) Illinois. 1) Iowa
2) Indiana. 2) Kansas
3) Michigan. 3) Kansas St
4) Michigan St. 4) Missouri
5) Minnesota. 5) Nebraska
6) Northwestern. 6) Notre Dame
7) Ohio St. 7) UCLA
8) Purdue. 8) USC
9) Penn St. 9) Wisconsin

I feel like the ACC SEC and Pac 18 makes sense in mine. The Big 18 gets messy because of usc and ucla.

I like WV in the SEC although you could easily swap them and Clemson or Louisville.

To me Notre Dame always seemed like a B1G program than an ACC one.

Same with Missouri in the B1G and not the SEC.

(I apologize it didn't justify the way I wanted it to. They run together I know)
Great ideas, something like this will always get the critiques of course.

I don't think current expansions would play in something like this (ie OU and OSU in the SEC while Baylor and TCU don't go with Texas, would say the same as you mentioned with USC and UCLA. The concept of "conference" would be gone as this likely takes the NCAA out of play altogether.

I think Memphis belongs, would actually think the Vegas market is more valuable than the additions and could replace Boise/SDSU or Memphis though. Would have to be the largest market w/o representation, San Antonio is covered likely with all the Texas teams anyway.

Not sure how the other teams (namely WV) make sense in the SEC but Clemson stays in the ACC. Just saying.
We're eventually going to be at 4 major conferences only. That will be sooner rather than later.

Shuffling will be coming. The B16 and SEC will be likely taking some acc schools.

We're eventually going to be at 4 major conferences only. That will be sooner rather than later.

Shuffling will be coming. The B16 and SEC will be likely taking some acc schools.
I think he’s saying West Virginia would not be in the SEC. You’d have to find another school, feel like they would be the absolute last pick admSEC won’t be in that position I wouldn’t think.

Kind of wild to me to look at the future schedule for my boys.

2024 just the home slate includes Notre Dame, Penn St, USC, Nebraska
The Big Ten release on Thursday was... Interesting...

I'll break it down more next week but a few schools definitely have an advantage while a few have ridiculously tough schedules...

Sounds like Colorado and Arizona are on the highway to hell to the big 12

Colorado going to the pac 12 might have been the most idiotic move from a major university in history. They lost a ton of equity and would simply be a newbie in the new conference. UA isn't excited about breaking from ASU but the president has been clear they aren't anchored either.

SDSU president says it's a matter of when, not if they move to the Pac 12. The bigger question is will the Mountain West be better in the long run.

Think Arizona will follow that path too, already been talk that UA and ASU don't care about maintaining the rivalry, just not sure why ASU wouldn't want to go as well but they are pretty committed to the PAC

This is pretty much exactly what’s going on now

What do you think the SEC will do?
I think it’s obvious Florida St is 1st choice. Think they wait and see who/what the B10 wants(which BAR mentioned in his post). Oklahoma was the furthest geographical reach, I think they are done out that way. I’m sure they “want” Clemson too.

For TV/Streaming, obviously married to ESPN. They’ll watch the B10’s lead on streaming for future purposes.

Oregon and Washington seems about done.

Purely guessing, but 2026 is my predicted start time.

I hate to say CU “get it right the first time!!” (left big 12 moons ago) But the PAC 12 and their clown-town commish has made this a an obvious decision to leave.

***Losing USC and UCLA to the BIG 10 was a back breaker for the PAC 10, the LA Media Market was a massive loss, massive!!

No media deal = no money for the remaining members.. The BIG 12 Commissioner was a better player at the poker table and continues to be. Buffs landed $32 million I believe…

Final note, when Zona joins the Big 12 this week, they will have a POWER NCAAB Conference…
-wolfeman

I hate to say CU “get it right the first time!!” (left big 12 moons ago) But the PAC 12 and their clown-town commish has made this a an obvious decision to leave.

***Losing USC and UCLA to the BIG 10 was a back breaker for the PAC 10, the LA Media Market was a massive loss, massive!!

No media deal = no money for the remaining members.. The BIG 12 Commissioner was a better player at the poker table and continues to be. Buffs landed $32 million I believe…

Final note, when Zona joins the Big 12 this week, they will have a POWER NCAAB Conference…
-wolfeman
Yessir. This is what I was saying in the other thread. You gotta give the B12 a TON of credit here. And the Pac12 much of the blame.

Just sat on their hands

What do you make of Finebaum’s recent comments about FSU and Clemson?
He’s 100% correct and they would leave yesterday if they could. It’s a perfect fit now, and was a perfect fit years ago.
I don’t “know” this but I bet Clemson saw no reason to leave before. Top level football in a much easier conference…now the money is talking and the shift is on and they both want THE FUCK OUT. Don’t blame em.

So Arizona to b12 is done

UW and Oregon to b1g is likely done by the end of the day

ASU and Utah will probably apply to the b12 this weekend

FSU has JP Morgan looking at private equity raising so they will likely be CFB's first official pro team

If SEC and B1G are gonna raid the ACC, seems like FSU benefits more from B1G initially because of tv deal money, think it's wide open there. Could see it to where FSU and Duke maybe to B1G and Clemson/UNC to SEC? Pure speculation, obviously Cuse would make sense for B1G as well and Miami for SEC

If SEC and B1G are gonna raid the ACC, seems like FSU benefits more from B1G initially because of tv deal money, think it's wide open there. Could see it to where FSU and Duke maybe to B1G and Clemson/UNC to SEC? Pure speculation, obviously Cuse would make sense for B1G as well and Miami for SEC
FSU doesn’t want to be in anything but the SEC. Think about it.

Lots of reasons for both, it seems they are very much considering the B1G. More money, easier recruiting, etc
How? I can drive there from New Orleans in half a day. It’s prime recruiting. Why be the Southernmost team in a conference?
FSU is likely already in the SEC before anything else

How? I can drive there from New Orleans in half a day. It’s prime recruiting. Why be the Southernmost team in a conference?
FSU is likely already in the SEC before anything else
We'll see

I've seen it's a real toss up, they're in to a $300 milly buyout over 10 years they'd still more than double that immediately

I don’t think FSU trying to figure out how to get the Saudis involved is a coincidence. They could easily fund the buyout fee it’s just a question of in exchange for what.

Reactions: KJ
Presidents & ADs from the remaining four Pac-12 schools have held multiple meetings today to discuss next steps.

Options are limited, but one of the most practical is a merger or partnership with the Mountain West, which the MWC is receptive to, sources tell @YahooSports.

Lots of reasons for both, it seems they are very much considering the B1G. More money, easier recruiting, etc
The B1G is a fallback. From FSU’s perspective, the B1G cannot match or exceed the SEC in any respect except in the respect of offering admission if the SEC does not.

The B1G is a fallback. From FSU’s perspective, the B1G cannot match or exceed the SEC in any respect except in the respect of offering admission if the SEC does not.
A lot more money until the next SEC tv contract which is a couple years away. Lots can happen between now and then.

I'd prefer them in the SEC, I don't think it's as simple as you and twink are making it but I've got no stake in this lol...just understand the reasons why they'd explore one over the other

FSU doesn’t want to be in anything but the SEC. Think about it.
Nah.

I understand geographically but this isn't the first sniff in the air for FSU and B16 talks.

Remember, the next TV deal for B16 is more flexible.

This is Benjamin's.

A lot more money until the next SEC tv contract which is a couple years away. Lots can happen between now and then.

I'd prefer them in the SEC, I don't think it's as simple as you and twink are making it but I've got no stake in this lol...just understand the reasons why they'd explore one over the other
It's not as simple as their making it.

As a cfb fan, Sec makes sense.

In the dollars and cents perspective both long and short term, it's the BI6.

After 27 holes with an outing, my head is fried.

I'll have to look up the exact details regarding TV contracts.

With how the B16 negotiated this last one, they are in great position to stay on top of the SEC in those regards for quite awhile.

When this all shakes out, we'll have two MEGA conferences (SEC and B16). I'd say sometime in the next 6-11 years.

Back