NCAA Week Seven

SHSUHorn

Thief
NCAA 2008 YTD 41-25 +50.70 UNITS

All of my plays were made on Sunday with the addition of Oklahoma St. and Texas Tech today. Got my interent on but had to turn the laptop in. I swear why couldn’t this have happened in February? Should have things back to normal beginning of next week and getting back to interact and disecting these games with you guys..

Texas vs OU –6.5 (5 UNITS)

While Texas has surprised me and I’m as giddy as the next Longhorn fan about our team the matchup here with OU just doesn’t sit well with me. All of Texas stregths seem to be somewhat neutralized by OU and all of Texas weaknesses seem to be something OU can exploit.

Texas has been dominate up front with its DL but OU has the guys up front to give Texas fits. If Texas isn’t able to get quick enough pressure then Bradford will be able to exploit the Texas frosh safties with two experienced senior wideouts in Manuel Johnson (26 receptions, for 468 yards, five TDs), Juaquin Iglesias (23 receptions, for 401 yards, five TDs) and arguably the best TE in the country Jermaine Gresham (16 receptions, for 278 yards, four TDs).

Both teams are looking for more out of their rushing game but at least OU knows what it has in Murray and Brown while us Texas fans have turned to the 4th RB savior (Mcgee, Whitaker, Johnson, Ogbonnaya) in 5 games this time hoping Chris Ogbonnaya is the one.

On offense Texas has scored a ton of points with Mccoy running and methodically driving the team down the field with short passes. Cosby and Shipley are great WRs but neither is the burner that strectches the field and gets behind the defense. We’ve seen time and time over the years that is the way to beat a Bob Stoops defense who loves to bring his safties up and play aggressive football.

I’m going to stop because I’m about to puke having to continue writing about how good OU is this year…I hope I’m wrong and this would be the best $500 I’ve ever lost (well there was this stripper in Vegas..) but all signs IMO point to an OU win by at least 10. This game the last 10 years the winner has won by double digits except last year and that was only because the OU kicker missed an easy FG late.

Iowa St. @ Baylor –3.5 (5 UNITS)

ISU hasn’t been great on defense this year but have stayed in many of its ball games by forcing a ton of turnovers (17) which leads the country. The problem is most Art Briles coached teams are good at protecting the ball and Baylor has been no different with only 6 turnovers all season.

QB Robert Griffin has been one of the biggest freshman surprises for me in all of the Big 12 this season. I knew he was a bigtime track star coming out of HS but didn’t think he would grasp Briles offense so quick and he seems to be getting better with each week. BU has a big advantage up front with its OL vs ISU DL and I expect Griffin and the Bears to put up some pretty big numbers in the ground game.

Kansas St. –4 @ Texas A&M (4 UNITS)

I’m going to ride out this Aggie train until they finally show me something hell anything. I look up and down the staring lineup of both A&M’s OL & DL and just shake my head. The horrible recruiting Franchione has done the last few years has finally caught up at these positions. KSU will dominate in the trenches and that’s where football games are won.

Vanderbilt –1.5 @ Mississippi St. (3 UNITS)

Vanderbilt wins this game because of a defense that has been not only stopping its opponents from reaching the end zone but making big play after big play leading most of the country in takeaways and sacks. After having a decent year last year Croom’s offense has seem to fall back where it has been under his tenure which is pretty shitty. I’d rather watch my cousins local JV HS offense then what Croom and the Bulldogs have put out during his time there.

I know everyone is screaming trap game, its tough to win on the road in the SEC, etc…but from what I’ve seen of the Vandy defense and the MSU offense the mismatch is just to much for me not to take such a low line for the Commodores.

Arkansas +19 @ Auburn (3 UNITS)

I made this play before the firing of Franklin and well shit I kinda wish he was still there. The Auburn offense has been beyond terrible and they just didn’t have the players in place to run this type of offense. Now I’m hearing they are still going to stick with the spread even though Franklin is gone? Just don’t see how the hell that is going to be successful.

Arkansas should be able to keep this game within the 3 TD spread because its improving as the season goes on under Petrino. Playing Alabama, Texas, and Florida will have any team battle tested by midseason.

LSU @ Florida –4 (5 UNITS)

Just can’t see the freshman QB doing it on the road vs Florida like he did vs an Auburn team which we now know is not as good as the preseason hype it got. Florida will be looking to avenge last years loss where Miles seemed to be one of the luckiest coaches I could remember on his 4th down calls, plus the LSU fans getting ahold of Tebow’s cell phone number and leaving some not to nice messages.

I think Florida will be able to move the ball through the air vs LSU’s defense. The LSU defensive line has been stout vs the run but hassn’t generated much of a pass rush this year (6 sacks in 4 games) and has let some pretty shitty offenses move the ball on them through the air (Auburn & Miss. St.).

Oklahoma St. +14 @ Mizzu (4 UNITS)

Both teams with incredible offenses and not much on defense. Oklahoma St. has some sick players on offense that are flying under the radar because of the rest of the talent in the Big 12 (QB Robinson, WR Bryant, and RB Hunter). This game has always been close as five of the last 6 meetings have been decided by 7 points or less with 3 of the games going into OT. This game will be much like the Illini game with a 45-41 type score in the end.

Nebraska @ Texas Tech –20.5 (4 UNITS)

The Mizzu game could’ve been a lot worse then the final score indicated but they called off the dogs in the thrid quarter something Mike Leach is not known to do. Leach has run up the score on Nebraska in the past and wouldn’t be surprised to see him do it here. Don’t see how Nebraska will stop this offense and stay within three TDs.

BOL fellas!!

Interesting stuff coming out of the Orangebloods rivals site...

Seems some rumors are swirling that John Chiles practiced at RB all week. He might be a perfect fit in the spread just not sure what he'll do in pass protection.

He's probably the best player on the Texas offense with the ball in his hands and on the move.

Interesting twist to the offense...

Game makes me nervous as shit, Horn, and I hope your OU bet dies a horrible death. But you're probably right.

horn I've been puking since monday. u r so right and it hurts taking OU. but it business, thats all. thanks for the write up. your stuff is right on BOL.:smiley_acbe:

So, I played a Big 12 parlay (TT, OU, Col, KSt, OkSt, Bay) and my reasoning for picking OkSt was exactly like yours. ILLINOIS! Also, the Oklahoma State game is VASTLY underrated. Currently, everyone thinks it is Dez Bryant and no one else. But that's because Dez is open and why throw to anyone else if he is open?

nice day, brotha. :shake:

but shame on you and rj for not backing your horns today. that was a beautiful upset, and it's the california boy that made the play. ;)

Nice week, SHSU. Now, you need to get these picks up by Thursday. If I'm going to tail you in the various pools I'm in, I need your picks by then. :)

I know I've been saying this forever but the laptop arrives tomorrow!!

Thank fuckin god. Its been cramping my cappin the last 3 weeks.

Wish my capping was that good when i was errrrr cramping.

You are a machine right now .. in the zone. look forward to next weeks thread.

Back