NCAA Week 8

J Galt

Everyone's got a price.....
YTD 23-16 +13.44 units

BYU +100 - 2 units - You don't have to tell me, I know I will regret this one later.

GL this week my friend :cheers: Cavs have another win in them this week?

I think they do, but what about the Terps? Some really interesting, close matchups in the ACC this week.

what the hell were you thinking? If ever a game screamed PICK ME, from our usual capping stance....it was that one! :smiley_acbe: :hang:

Timmy, in regards to UVa, I think they absolutely have what it takes to win this game this weekend. Every week I've gone into threads seeing "UVa just doesn't have as much talent as Maryland/ECU/USC etc." The ONLY team to date that that was true against (including UNC) was USC. They have talent on this team (Peerman, Dowling, Sintim, Dolce, Ogletree, Phillips, Fells-Danzer, Monroe, etc) but they have a HORRIBLE coach and a QB that, to be quite honest, should not be starting at this level. Patches have been made to what illed them early in the season, as Zak Stair was benched in favor of frosh Pasztor at the G position next to Monroe. This move might seem minor, but it has allowed them to run the ball behind who I think is the best T in the nation because Pasztor holds his own running blocking where Stair just did not. You've seen this in Peerman's huge production the last two games, as he is getting the space that neither back was getting in the first few games. This has taken a lot of pressure off of Verica, who has performed admirably considering that he was 4th string this time last year and really is no better than a 2nd string D 1 QB. I said at the beginning of the year (when Lalich was still in school); the pieces are most certainly there on offense. It's a matter of execution and playcalling, both of which got much better after the Duke game.

Unfortunately, we have a different animal coming to town this weekend. UNC are a hard hitting, overachieving bunch of kids who Butchie has gotten to believe. I thought losing Yates wasn't that big of a deal (Sexton is seasoned), but Tate gone shakes them up a bit although they have capable players in Nicks and Foster to pick up some slack. They also run the ball better than they get credit for, as Little and Draughn are a really solid one-two punch that should be able to gauge the dogshit 3-4 defense that stubborn Al insists on running even though they don't have the personnel to run it effectively. I think everyone is focused on Tate being out for this game and them not being able to throw the ball because of that, but I'm not sure they could/would throw the ball much anyway as Dowling and Hall have been solid this year in coverage and they have given the young freshman a chance to play more at the safety spots as Glaspy and Woods are just awful. If Butchie is smart (and I think he is), he will pound Little and Draughn off tackle all game and make them bring Stintim up to the LOS to stop it. When this happens, start to runs Little on screens and use Pianalto and the slot WR to tear up the short middle where the slow ass LBs cannot cover. On defense, they need to keep doing what they've been doing, playing physical and stuffing the run to make Verica win this game.

I put this line at UNC -2.5 and was taken aback a little to see it at 5.5, but I took that as the books trying to draw in UVa bettors. Coaching and stopping the run are the keys to this game, and I see the Tar Holes having the advantage in both categories. However, they are cursed in the state of VA and people will not forget the deceiving loss to Duke this season, so I think the Hoos are going to play with a chip on their shoulder all season and will continue to improve as a lot of these kids are young (starting 8 frosh and sophs) and have the athletic ability, they just need to get more experience.

With a gun to my head, I take UNC - the points, but there are much better games out there this weekend to bet on.

In regards to the Terps, I am *this* close to taking them this weekend, but I'm not loving the fact that they are on a lot of newsletters and the line is moving with them. If I do pull the trigger, it'll be a one unit play at most.

Good stuff JG, thanks for your thoughts on VA this weekend. Great insight on your squad and particularly agree with your comment about them staying in the 3-4. BOL on the weekend.

Curious in your opinion on Bleaksburg vs. BC this weekend. Always tough to bet against ass-face and the Blokies on the road but I think they are in trouble this week.

Timmy, this is going to astonish you, but the Hokies have NEVER lost a road game in the ACC. Totally different team when they go to another school's stadium. As you see below, I fired away on BC just because it totally fits into the system of what I do, but that and Iowa State were the two bets I felt worst about. For you, I would lay off the game, too many weird factors gone into this one.

Rutgers -1 - 3 units
SMU +13.5 - 3 units
WMU -2 - 2 units
Iowa St +8 (-105) - 1 unit
BC -3 - 1 unit
Washington +16 - 1 unit
UNLV +4 - 1 unit
Terps +2.5 - 1 unit - pulled it
So Caro +2 - 1 unit
Texas -4.5 - 1 unit

Good luck today guys.

GL buddy. Looks good.I did have a strong lean on Air Force but too many on them.UNLV might just be the play. May be on BC tonight with you.Also had s strong lean on Houston but too many on that side.So SMU may be the play just have to worry that they don't turn the ball over and Houston capitalizes on that ass.

Thanks, nawlins, SMU is going to have to score a lot of points to keep up in this game, their defense tackles worse than the Pop Warner kids I see playing at the park on the weekends. UNLV will be interesting, if they show up they can beat anybody in that conference, but will they show up? Who knows.

Back