NCAA week 8

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
YTD: 31-34...+ 1.91 units

Record includes second halves,first halves, ML dogs, ML parlays, and Straight bets

Onto week 8...

South Florida at -2.5 at -110 for 2 units

Illinois +3.5 at -120 for 2 units

Ole Miss at +5 at -110 for 1 unit

Kentucky +7 at -110 for 1 unit

South Florida has played in a hostile environment already this year at Auburn and came out with a W. They shut down Rice, they win this game by 10....they can smell the title and they will not let it slip here.

Illinois offense will give UM fits whether it's McGee or Juice at the helm. Illini have an excellent run defense and will somewhat contain Hart. I don't expect Hart to be 100 percent anyways since he sprained his ankle on Saturday, and he might even not play. UM has no RB depth with the back up Minor being out. That means Carlos Brown (3rd string) will get quite a few reps in his first road action. He has a penchant for fumbling, as he broke his wrist this summer. I expect Illini offense to confuse the Michigan defense, they will study the game tapes and run a lot of misdirection and draws which is Michigan's weakness...Mendenhall will have a much better game as well this week. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with this Michigan team. Their only road game this year was at Northwestern who they struggled with for 3 quarters until getting some timely turnovers. They beat a bad Notre Dame team in Clausen's second start and limited playbook, struggled again against EMU, granted they did beat a decent Purdue team, but UM always plays well against a pass spread..and the secondary has gotten better every week for UM. Illinois will confuse UM with misdirections and zone reads all game.

Ole Miss is tough at home, they played Florida and Alabama close, why not Arkansas?? a team whose season is slowly unraveling.

Kentucky getting 7 at home, at night?? I really don't care that Florida is off a bye, they struggle on the road and their pass D is nothing to write home about. I will take a good QB getting 7 at night. I know this might be a letdown spot, but 7 is a lot of points at home.

on usf with you hunt.

considering meechigan but your thoughts give me pause. good looking card so far.

thanks VK..if u like UM take em bro. They are playing good football, I just don't believe in this team yet.

Love all 4 of them. I'll for sure be on Illy and KY on the ML, and likely Ole Miss. I agree with you, Missy has come close twice to scoring upsets against UF and Bama, this one might finally be the one.

GL sir.:shake:

Thanks MAC..gl to you this week too bro.

Zook backs QB Williams over McGee

Illini face tough task vs. No. 24 Michigan

<DL class=byline>By Terry Bannon | Tribune staff reporter <DD>9:15 PM CDT, October 14, 2007 <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></DD></DL>Illinois coach Ron Zook didn't change his mind after watching film of Saturday's loss at Iowa: He's sticking with Juice Williams as his starting quarterback.

He's also moving forward with Plan B, the possibility of getting backup Eddie McGee playing time earlier in games, not waiting for Williams to get hurt or make a big mistake.

"It's something we've talked about, but there are also some things Eddie has to do," Zook said.

<!-- END topix links --><!-- END rail -->
"People see the good things Eddie does. You also have to look at the situation, what we do as a football team best, and which guy can do that well."

It will be a busy week in the coaches' office as the Illini (5-2, 3-1 Big Ten) prepare for Saturday's 7 p.m. visit from resurgent Michigan (5-2, 3-0), which will bring a five-game winning streak to Champaign. The game will be carried nationally by WLS-Ch. 7.

The Wolverines are back in the Top 25 at No. 24 in the Associated Press media poll, though they remain unranked in the USA Today coaches voting.

Illinois, No. 18 in the AP rankings last week, fell out of both polls after Saturday's 10-6 loss at Iowa, where the Illini's failure to score a touchdown has thrown the quarterback issue back on the table.

Though the passing game has been a problem all season, Zook likes the way Williams directs the running game, which means getting the ball efficiently to Rashard Mendenhall on pitchouts. With McGee, that hasn't always gone smoothly. Williams has also run 69 times for 319 yards.

"In our opinion, Juice gives us the best opportunity to win," Zook said. "For the most part, [except for] one pass and the fumble, he played a pretty good game [at Iowa]."

For the second time in three games, Zook benched Williams after a mistake, this time a fumble. McGee moved the Illini into position to win late in the game but then threw an interception at the goal line that he could have easily thrown away.

McGee finished 3-for-5 for 52 yards. But coaches can't ignore a perfect 83-yard touchdown pass to Joe Morgan that was wiped out by a penalty.

Against Penn State, Zook benched Williams after one too many incompletions. McGee came in and came through with a 53-yard run that helped clinch the upset win.

McGee has replaced Williams twice because of injury. After Williams hurt his left knee against Wisconsin, McGee came in and ran 5 yards for a touchdown that provided the winning points.

In the season opener against Missouri, McGee entered the game in the second quarter after Williams suffered an eye injury. He completed 17 of 31 for 257 yards with two interceptions and one TD pass. One of the interceptions was in the end zone in the final minutes as Missouri wrapped up a 40-34 victory. McGee also lost a fumble while running for an apparent touchdown.

"He has to take better care of the ball," Zook said.

For the season, McGee is 22 of 42 for 342 yards with one TD pass and three interceptions. Williams has completed 76 of 137 for 716 yards with five TD passes and five interceptions.

Williams' sore knee might have been an issue at Iowa, and one question is whether Michigan will defend Illinois the way the Hawkeyes did. They shut down the option as the game wore on.

"Juice had early success running," offensive coordinator Mike Locksley said. "He didn't come into the game 100 percent. I think they were going to make it a game our quarterbacks would have to win.

"It falls on me to have both of those guys prepared. They didn't make the plays they needed for us to win the game."

Patience with young quarterbacks is a coaching virtue, one Zook and Locksley know all about.

"We don't want our quarterbacks to have to look over their shoulder," Locksley said. "We don't want it to be an issue for us."

Extra points

Zook said if Kyle Hudson had not already left the game after taking a helmet-to-helmet blow, he would have been in the game at the "Z" receiver position when a penalty wiped out McGee's touchdown pass to Morgan that would have given Illinois a 13-10 lead. Hudson's replacement, Jacob Willis, lined up on the line of scrimmage instead of off it, causing the penalty. Zook said game film showed it was a correct call. ... Zook said Hudson (headache), fullback Russ Weil (ankle) and receiver Arrelious Benn (shoulder) should be ready for Michigan.

Gl on that USF play, i am a little weary of this team even though that they have proven time and time again that they are a very solid team and deserve to be talked about like the best in college football.

GL this weekend.

i live in Illinois and if Michigan comes out and throws against Illinois (which they might with a banged up Hart) Illinois will be hard pressed to stop them. They played bad against Iowa, but I review the first half against Missouri (when the Tigers threw wild) and that will be Michigan's attack.

Frank, I think USF is the best team in the country as of October 15th. That can change on October 18th lol...It's a tossup, I just think the better team wins here (hopefully)

Kobe, Michigan is a run first team..the MO is to give Mike Hart the ball 30-40x a game. I would be shocked if they opened up the playbook, but there is a possibility based on Hart's status. Even so, UM's passing game can be stopped. They have ran the same pass plays for the last 15 years. You make a good point tho bro, and I am definitely leery of it.

I will definitely be adding UCONN later in week. I think I can squeeze a 4.5 hopefully.

Thanks fellas..appreciate it.

Vas, the only cock they will be holding on Nov. 17th is Michigan's.

Hunt -

As far as Kansas goes - I just decided there were other games I wanted to play. Checked power rankings and wasn't getting a ton of line value. The line looks short to me - and we know what has happened to short favorites who looked like they should have been laying more this year (see Illinois last week). I just decided to stay away.

Your right bout Michigan and the same play, but Hart looks good to go and in my picks i said Mich is 9-1 ATS last 5 against UI including 5-0 @ Champaign. Good luck this week, and love USF and UK as well.

Like the plays. On USF big. This team is for real and thrives being in the spotlight. USF defense will come up big once again and the offense should do enough for a solid road win. My guess: USF 24-14.

No comments on mizzou at home to texas tech, it willbe a shootout, but i think mizzou tries to slow it down a bit to keep tt offense off the field, could come down to last possesion, but i like mizzou, their offense andnever give up attitude to pull off the win,

I watched most of the UCF/SF game last week and the SF defense continues to really impress with me their overall speed and ability to really get off the ball quickly. They just bitch slapped UCF all over the place in that game. Their DL is just amazing off the ball, seemed like they almost got the handoff a couple times. Like the leadership of Grothe too and they probably have the most underrated secondary in CFB. They have convinced me. GL this week Hunt.

Ramble, no problem bro, I completely understand...but if that line hits 3, I might be tempted to take Kansas. I jsut am not impressed with Colorado minus the win against OU..but I wasn't impressed with Iowa at all up until illinois either.

Kobe, those stats don't lie...should be a great game.

thanks pags and dmoney..gl to you guys as well!

Public and Timh..let's get the USF cash, I think they win by 10 as well. Best defense in the country imo.

Cash..It will definitely be a shootout, I don't really favor a side here but I did read Temple is coming back which will make Mizzou tough to not take.

Counselor, that kool-aid looks tasty bro...lol.

apolous..not really..could go either way..mizzou's pass d is not anything to write home about, and temple is a huge part to that O...I did take the over on some small parlays for fun if that helps.

Back