NCAA Week 2

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
S

signalcaller

7-8-1 Overall
0-4 on half plays
2-0 on Totals

Not the Saturday I was hoping for to start the season but still on the positive side of the units with FSU and FSU under pending so it cant be all that bad. Hopefully we get some better results for Week 2 and discussion is always welcomed.

Penn State -16.5 (4 units) WIN
Damn, I wish I could have got this play at 11, shit I still woul have pounded it at 13 but this was some crazy line movement and congrats to all who got it at below 2Td's. Maybe it will go back down with all the Domer backers but it wont see 14.5 again so might as well get it now before it gets to 17. Notre Dame last week showed they a. have no viable option at the most important position on offense QB. Starter Demetrius Jones didnt last long. He was 1/3 with a fumble. Sharpley was the most impressive going 10/13 so I could see him being the starter in Happy Valley. However Clausen showed hes got some major talent with a rocket arm. Hes still a true frosh though and almost never do True frosh QB's come in and make an immediate impact. Clausen might see some PT though depending on the situation. Defense is even a bigger question though for ND. They allowed 6 yards a rush against GT. 260 total rushing yards and 196 to Choice. ND new 3-4 didnt turn out very well for them. Inexperienced group. Scott should be able to get some good YPC against this front 7. For some reason ND tries to sneak an eigth into the box, PSU should be able to make em pay. IMO Morelli is a whole different QB this year. He improved as the year went on last year and everything I have read so far this year has been positive. They might be able to burn ND secondary for some big plays with Williams and Butler. Zbikowski is a statue back there and often gets beat by the big play. This could be the worst ND team in a while. And IMO Happy Valley is easily the best homefield in the Big 10. Worth 4-5 points in itself maybe more. Great student section and a revenge game after the Irish put a whooping on PSU last year.
Prediction
Penn State 38
Notre Dame 14

Rutgers -14.5 (3 units) WIN
Ray Rice proved hes for real even if it was against Buffalo. When you get 7 yards a rush I dont care who its against, its damn impressive. And surprisingly Teel was very impressive completing on 16 of 23. Buffallo isnt a very good barometer to judge how good a team is but they seemed impressive. That defense stuffed the run alllowing only 2.1 a carry. Seeing thats what Navy is all about could see them struggling to get an effective run game going. Even though Temple seems to be better this year they are still sort of Temple. They surprisingly got some good yardage against Navy and even made some sort of a game out of it trailing 14-10 at one point midway through the 3rd. Im hoping Rice and Teel provide a good one 2 punch to provide some big numbers against what seems to be a below average Navy D.
Rutgers 31
Navy 14

Iowa -22 (2 units)
What did I learn on Friday? Syracuse still sucks. UDub came into their house and destroyed them. Washington ran up and down the field vs the Orange and I can honestly see Albert Young breaking the 200 maybe even the 230 mark. Christinsen didnt play great against NIU going 12/29 but every week he should improve. And hell they shouldnt even need to pass at all this week. Pound the ball down the Orange throat and you should be able to score at will.
Iowa 31
Syracuse 7

Washington State -13.5 (2 units)
I was very surprised they came into Camp Randall and drove up and down the field as easy as they did. Alex Brink is a very underrated QB. Hes got a good arm, makes good decisions and can take off and run for a first down at any time. They also had some success on the ground as Tardy racked up 96 yards and Brink had some success taking off. The only thing that scares me is their pass defense. Its horrible. Donovan killed them with 284 and a very high completion percentage. They got some new DBs out there including one who made his debut against Wisconsin and got torched repeatedly. SD State makes its season debut so they could be a little rusty. Cougars also held PJ Hill down and had a very good day defending the run. If you can do it against Wisconsin you can do it against almost anyone. SD State will have to put the ball in the air if they want to stay close.
Washington St. 34
SD State 17

Mizzu -6 (2 units) WIN
Kentucky -14 (2 units) WIN
Florida -25.5 (1 unit) WIN
Hawaii -28 (1 unit) LOSS
PSU/ND over 44 (1 unit) LOSS

West Virginia -25 (2 units) PUSH
See BAR thread. Hes got a great writeup

Miami FL +11 (1 Unit) LOSS
Following Rexy and Mags on this one. Led me to the money last week with the U hopefully it can happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signal- Love Rice and the Scarlet Knights- Still pondering the Penn State play although based on what I saw of Weiss Saturday-looks solid up to 21.
Good Luck

Games Im looking into:
Florida -27
Arkansas opened at about 25 vs Troy and they beat them pretty handily despite being without Monk. Going into the Swamp with Tebow looking like a great QB dual threat. I usually hate the phrase "the speed could cause a problem" but in this case it could. Florida is probaly the 2nd fastest team position by position in the nation behind USC. Liking Florida about 41-10 type of score

New Mexico State +7.5
Memphis -4
S.Florida +6.5

Iowa -22
What did I learn on Friday? Syracuse still sucks. UDub came into their house and destroyed them. Washington ran up and down the field vs the Orange and I can honestly see Albert Young breaking the 200 maybe even the 230 mark. Christinsen didnt play great against NIU going 12/29 but every week he should improve. And hell they shouldnt even need to pass at all this week. Pound the ball down the Orange throat and you should be able to score at will

Washington State -13.5
A lot more impressive than I thought they would be against Wisconsin. Explosive offense with Brink and Tardy. Only thing that worries me about this one is 3 inexperienced DB that got torched by Wisky recievers, including one DB who is a frosh and was beat badly on numerous times

Alabama -3.5(someone please explain this one)
Going to have to look more into Vandy but this line looks juicy. Saban brought new life to this program IMO. I think they can be a 8-9 win team this year.

Miami FL +10.5
Thinking this is a tad to high here. Was expecting 7.5 to 9 range. Shannon looks to have the players in control, something Coker could never do. Defense looked very good against Marshall and the rushing game looked just amazing. James and Cooper provided a great 1-2 punch. Freeman looked under control and actually someone I could trust laying a bet with. Didnt know much about him before the Marshall game.

Will post some more in depth thoughts in a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray- Thanks GL to you also this week

TIG- Loving the Scarlet Knights this week. Navy didnt impress me at all last week Rice should have a field day against them, and everone knows on this board how bad ND sucks this year PSU should be able to put up mid 30s atleast. GL

Wash St is an interesting one. I was looking at fading SDST.. Aztec where you at? The only one I don't like is Iowa, I have a hard time trust this team to cover that large of a spread, yes even against the pitiful orange.

ETG...WSU showed what I wanted to see in Wisky...if they can run the ball on Wisky I'm afraid to see what they can do to SDSt...throw in some well timed play actions and Brink will have a good game. I think at less than 2TD's is a good play.

:cheers:

Texas down to 8.5 on bookmaker. Might have to make a play on them. I know sort of a rivalry game and TCU has one of the best defenses in the nation but Texas offense could still explode at anytime. Will decide on it probally by tommorow.

Also taking a close look at Miami +11. Think that might be a little too much in what I think will be a very very low scoring battle.

Auburn now under a TD vs South Florida. I think Auburn might be superior at almost every position so will defintly have to look into that one although they didnt impress me at all vs KState. Will most likely have a couple of these up by tommorow with some writeups.

My opinion on Iowa:

The game against Northern Illinois Saturday wasn't sexy, but it was a win. It was practically a home game at Soldier Field since we sold all 40,000 tickets that were allocated to Iowa. Our offense rushed well - to your point - but did everything else poorly, especially catching the ball. Same thing happened last year, and it didn't go away. It's the receivers, not the QB.

While I think we will 'likely' pull off somehwere in the neighborhood of your 31-7 prediction (b/c Syracuse is looked terrible), I think this is a dangerous number. We haven't faired well on dd spreads, last year they only covered 1 of 8 dd spreads. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get moosed with 2-3 garbage td's in the 2H. Ferentz won't show anything he doesn't have to, so I think you'll see a steady diet of Young/Sims through the first half - which could easily be 28-0. After that though, 2nd and 3rd teams will give up a few.

If anything, I'd take it down a unit vs doing 2.

My two cents, good luck.

Juice

Nothing like starting off the week with nice 3 unit victory. Heres some other ones Im adding for the day
Miami +11 (1 unit)
Boston College -13.5 (1 unit)

Still looking at LSU, Auburn, and adding a couple more units on Penn State. Well see how the day goes. GL today guys

Best push I have ever got in a game. Thought the WVU play was dead.

8-6 on the day
+7.6 units on the day pending the 2 late ones

4 units
Penn State Win
2 Units
Washington State Win
Iowa Win
Kentucky Win
Missouri Win
West Virginia Push
Wisconsin 2h loss.
1 Unit