NCAA Week 13

J Galt

Everyone's got a price.....
Was going to pass on this game, but just playing it as a fade, everyone and their father's mother is on USC tonight.

ASU +3.5 (-105) - 1 unit

Shit, my mom and dad even put down a few bucks tonight.

Anyhoo...gl this weekend. Thoughts on your rivalry game?

Your mom and dad are now a few bucks richer, and good for them. I leaned to USC all week and flipflopped at the end like a big dummy. Serves me right.

Here's my start.

Ole Miss +6 - 2 units - Worried as hell about this shitty ass defense, but hopefully they show up and actually put up a fight.

GL JG - looks like a good number on Ole Piss, but like you their defense scares me to death.

Thoughts on your rivalry game?

I figured I'd cover this one in a totally separate post.

Tomorrow we have a game between one team that has benefitted from an extremely easy schedule and another team who has to be disappointed that they are not competing for a national title after so much promise coming into the year. Both have had very successful seasons despite setbacks and should be 10-1 (VPI choked away BC and Sewell never should have played against Wyoming, he was still seriously injured). Talentwise, the slight advantage goes to UVa, who is just stacked with young talent and will be the favorite to win the ACC next season. The coaching advantage more than makes up for this disparity, however, as VPI's staff is lightyears better than the mouthbreathing Groh father-son combo (although UVA DC London is excellent). On paper, this should be the best game between these two teams since 1998.

In reality though, as much as it pains me to say this, it most likely will not. Beamer has shown time and time again that no matter who is playing for either team, he has Groh's number and pushes the right buttons every year. VPI looked awful early in the season with their QB carousel and lack of identity on defense that they had always had in past years. The different looks started to work for the Chokies after that embarassing near-choke against UNC at home. They came back the next 2 weeks and throttled both Clemson and Duke on the road, showing signs that they remembered their special teams prowess and ability to run the ball with Ore, who took half of the season to get healthy this year. Other than the BC disaster, no one has really challenged them down the stretch, winning every game by DDs and showing up on defense like in past years.

The Hoos have overachieved all year. I'll be the first one to say it. They have dealt with serious injuries (Ogletree in the spring, Peerman and Cook early this season, and most importantly, Sewell all year) and have overcome with defense and excellent special teams play. Honestly, as a fan, they have done enough for me in the regular season to leave me satisfied. If they lose tomorrow and win the bowl game, I think you would be hardpressed to find any UVa fan who would say that the season was not a success.

Without getting into the details of each side, which I think can skew people sometimes when analyzing a game, I have to say that the fan in me sees a rude awakening in this one for the Hoos. They have not played a team even CLOSE to this caliber all year, playing the easiest schedule they have had since I have been a fan. Even in games they have won the Hoos have still looked pedestrian, as Sewell has suffered from a combination of sophomoritis with an unsuccessful wrist surgery after playing most of the last season with a hairline fracture. Word all year from the C'ville has been that the reason Sewell did not practice at all in the preseason was that he did not have any feeling in his left (throwing) hand during rehab. With no other options than true frosh Peter Lalich, Al panicked and played Sewell against Wyoming anyway, figuring that he could be good enough to beat a hapless MWC team. Well, as most of us remember, he was dead wrong, as Sewell looked like he had never played the position before, missing two wide open receivers for TDs on seam routes on the first two drives and really building Wyoming's confidence. Over the next few games, Groh caved and played Lalich during stretches when Sewell was just out of it, and Lalich showed up and won games for them. Since then, they have bonded and played with heart, something lacking in Hoo teams in years past, never giving up and showing that they knew how to win.

With all that said, the quick-fixes and plug-ins probably won't work tomorrow. Mikell Simpson has done a pretty nice job of reviving his all but done career with a couple nice games against weak opponents, but he is a pussy and his tremendous speed will be matched tomorrow by that of the strong Hokie defense. I see him being bottled up all day and we should hopefully get our fair share of Keith Payne, who I have been really high on all year. The Hoos would love to have Cedric Peerman for this game. The WRs will be useless against Macho and Flowers, as this continues to be the glaring weakness of this team. The only way the ball gets moved is if they can get it to the TEs enough and get a couple of their quirky trick plays to work. If UVa scores more than 13 points on offense in this game, I will be shocked. The way they can potentially win this game is on defense. If they can pressure Glennon enough (he loves getting sacked almost as much as Rudy Carpenter and Jon Kitna) and get a break or two on special teams, they could potentially find a way to hold the Hokies to 7-10 points and sneak out yet another close win. This is a possibility, don't get me wrong, but seems like a longshot and not worth betting on.

The best bet in this game IMO is Under 40. Neither of these teams are very good on offense and I think both of them tend to try to lay back and capitalize on the mistakes of their opponents while try to avoid making them themselves. The gambler in me says that the line is about 2.5-3 points too low and is pointing to UVA SU, but after watching this team all year, I just can't see myself making that play. I think I'll just be drinking and screaming at Al Groh tomorrow without worrying about losing my money.

Thanks Timmy and Al, I try to be as objective as possible despite my tremendous hatred for VPI and the sheer joy I will experience if my Hoos can somehow win that game tomorrow. :prayer

Hawaii -2.5 - 2 units - Can't say I feel good about how much this line has moved and where it ended up, but I would have played this at 5. Lets hope the shady refs and the ghost of Timmy Chang both show up for this one. :prayer

NCSU -2 - 1 unit - Keeping this small as I thought the line would be higher, but Fridgy has a hell of a hard time getting these kids up on the road.

I think I'll just be drinking and screaming at Al Groh tomorrow without worrying about losing my money.

:36_11_6:

UCLA +2.5 - 2 units
Fresno PK - 1 unit
Wazzu +6.5 - 1 unit
USC +3 - 1 unit
Bama +4.5 - 1 unit

Back