NBA team philosophy changes

SF_capper

CTG addict
Saw this in tuck's thread about Portland pushing the tempo. The question though, who else has something similiar? Many team make changes in the off-season, both staff wise and philisophy wise, so please everyone give your input on how certain teams will be different, in that we can possibly catch soft lines early on, and more importantly, don't lose w/o this info early on

for ex: with Adelman as the coach, I'd expect the Rockets to be a good bet on, and a good over team. With Houston's reputation, I think we'll see much lower lines than we should, but we all know how Adelman likes to run up the score

i got on chris webber a lot last year in the playoffs but going back and looking at it det was just 21-15 before they got him last year in the regular season.

so while not a philosophy, it is a personel (sp?) change. that is if they dont resign him.

also, have no idea what sasha and anderson are doing with cavs.

i got on chris webber a lot last year in the playoffs but going back and looking at it det was just 21-15 before they got him last year in the regular season.

so while not a philosophy, it is a personel (sp?) change.

BAR? thoughts on stons w/o Webber?

BAR? thoughts on stons w/o Webber?

Webb helped this team get in a flow offensively in regular season so much last year. He helped facilitate the offense. Now, once the playoffs came he had to play bigger bodies and frankly was a bit worn down. He wasn't effective in first two rounds. He actually had a good plus/minus against Cle but still looked like a liabilty on defense at times.

Detroit will be a much better team overall this year. Your adding to the full-time rotation this year Jarvis Hayes, Rodney Stuckey, Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell. Maxiell in sporadic time last year showed what he can do. He lost 30 pounds in off-season and looks great in camp. Amir Johnson has worlds of talent and will be a spark off bench. Stuckey looks like he will be third guard. Kid is a poor mans Dwayne Wade. Also has a bit of Rod Strickland in him as well. Future star no doubt. Hayes might have been FA steal of the summer. He scored 26 tonight and is being given grenn-light to shoot whenever by Flip if he is open. This will help keep Tays minutes down and keep him fresher for playoffs when it seems he has trouble scoring and is short on jumpshots after a long season.

Basically, I expect two different DET styles. One, the typical on offense with the mainstays. The bench though will bring full-court trapping and more of an uptempo affair. They will change the tempo much likle the 2004 bench did whenever they got in the game.

The more I read up on Orlando, the more I like. Van Gundy has them better on D and shooting 3's more- they were 27th last yr in 3pters made. I think this'll leave the downlow more open for Dwight. I'm expecting another big improvement by Dwight who supposedly has been workin on his shot and can now shoot outside much better (think poor man Tim Duncan), but still has that freak athleticism and size. Foyle is a good acquisition as he was underused here in GS since he didn't match the style, but here I think he'll show what he got, esp w Battie out for the yr. I think Orlando will probably play a lot of small ball with Dwight at the center and just surronding him with shooting (ie: Lewis(you know him), Garrity(bounce back yr), Reddick (come out party yr), Turkoglu (can go lights out) Dooling and Bogans. Point guard play is still decent with Nelson and Arroyo. I just really like this team early and often. Heck even in preseason games. Dwight could post up 1st team esq numbers (25, 15, 3.5) esp with the inside open with all those shooters around him. Kinda reminds me of Miami a couple yrs back

You guys know better than me, but if it is widely know that a team is starting to develop a run and gun style of play, vegas obviously knows this as well, and I would assume the lines are impacted by that?

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/cavs/2007/10/12/charting-preseason-progress/

Brian Windhorst is THE source on the Cleveland Cavaliers, despite calling the Akron Beacon Journal his home.

two key points regarding the Cavaliers' "new" offense:

–I am withholding most commentary about the new offense — Mike Brown doesn’t call it a new offense but, really, it is — because it is too early to make conclusions. Mike got a lot of it from Ettore Messina, the CSKA Moscow coach that I wrote about for ESPN this week. I will go into more detail later, but for now, know that he is trying to get the players to drive the ball and move more. In short, he is trying to avoid “the stand around and watch LeBron” offense. That includes the Larry Hughes “wait for an open jumper” on the wing option, too. Understand, this relies on LeBron’s willingness to drive and kick himself, and part of the reason the ball always stopped before is because LeBron stopped it. So we’ll see and I’ll write more about it.

–One more thing, if you thought last year’s offense eliminated Zydrunas Ilgauskas, just wait. Since Z isn’t a driver and isn’t a kicker, I don’t see where he fits unless it’s the old fashioned side pick-and-roll or the occasional iso play in the post. Again, it is still in infant stages, so I reserve judgment.

You guys know better than me, but if it is widely know that a team is starting to develop a run and gun style of play, vegas obviously knows this as well, and I would assume the lines are impacted by that?

You would think but at the same point they will not overcompensate as well.

The last three years have been great for totals for myself in November.

Seattle Supersonics = pound the fuck out of the overs early season

They going to play some Paul ball now baby'an_horse' 'an_horse' 'an_horse'

Good point. Yes, I've read that Cleveland is trying to switch up their offense as well...this probably means lower scoring games for them IMO.

Rod, does it worry you that that the sonics don't really have any pure shooters, or scorers for that matter outside of Durant (who is going to have a lot of ups and downs this year), do you think they will just run with the lot, giving them a lot of attempts? I agree with that, but if you look at all the teams who run and put up 100+ they have a few scorers/shooter, even the grizzlies have Gasol/Miller/Yag, The sonics don't have anyone on that level right now(As far as what that they bring to the club[I think Yag will have a better year than Kevin Durant])

Back