NBA Satyrday (10 unit bet inside) (+writeups)

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
----------------------------------------------------------------
NBA 2006/2007: 63 W-1 V-53 L +47.29 units
----------------------------------------------------------------

Warriors (+4,5) (1.95 @ Pinnacle) 7 units
Warriors ML (2.75 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

The value here is just immense and I will take both the points and the Warriors win with a rare 10 unit stake.

The line is reflecting the possible return of Luke Ridnour (11.8 PPG, 5.2 APG) to the Sonics lineup tonight, which should provide a spark which would resurrect the Sonics from the gutter and lead them to one more playoff appearance. Right?

Sounds good for the Sonic fans, but I don't think that's likely to happen. He might be having some rust to shake off after the injury, and the way these guys have been playing I don't think they're just going to blaze through tonight's clash and win it without even blinking.

What I'm thinking here is this: the Sonics have actually managed to keep some of their recent games very close, a 4 point loss to the Pistons, a 1 point loss in Toronto, 3 pt loss in Philly...
So they've been quite unlucky it seems. But if you look a bit deeper, you'll see they also beat NY in MSG by 1 point (Knicks with a couple of crucial injuries), and the Clippers by 2 points earlier this month.

This is just what they do, keep games close, or they let the opposing team to keep it close, a matter of perspective. Hence taking the points, because my first call was 8 units on the moneyline. But since Sonics narrow wins/losses is no coincidence but a pattern already, I'll choose the safer version with the larger part of the stake, and also try a few units on the moneyline.

Now onto the matchups/in game elements. The Warriors are playing very well right now, believe it or not. They failed to reach postseason since 1993/1994 and are now hanging on to the 8th spot. I think they beat the direct opposition for the 8th spot tonight. They beat Dallas 117-100, Denver 110-96 and Detroit (on the road on B2B!) 111-93.
These are three quality teams we're talking about, and not only have they beaten them, but beaten them by 17, 14 and 18 points.
This is something to respect.
They also thumped Minnesota last night, and they also played some solid defense, comparing to their offensive rhythm they should be allowing a ton but look at this:

Apart from the game in Portland (which tonight's Sonics backers are invoking here, but disregarding one super important fact: they were without Baron Davis then), they allowed century marks only against Dallas, while allowing 86, , 89, 96, 93 in their other games with full lineup at disposition. And against respectable teams mostly. Having watched them a couple of times during that span, they're playing a quick, somewhat improved version of the Suns' half court D, their defensive intensity is surprisingly high.

The Warriors have two equally in form point guards (Ellis being the other one), which enables them to keep their game tempo high even when Baron is on the bench, but Ellis is very usable as a shooting guard as well, as he seems to be taking shots even with Baron back. The fact that they are losing battles on the glass night and night out means nothing, Don Nelson's small ball isn't meant to dominate the boards anyway, they're using pace and accurate shooting to compensate for second chance points.
Andres Biedrins however, should create a lot of problems for Collison, Wilcox and co. tonight (don't forget, even with the small ball lineup, the Warriors average 41 RPG while Seattle grab only 39 per game, so much for a possible boarding mismatch in favor of the Sonics).

The fact that Monta Ellis scored 24 off the bench and that Jason Richardson had 8 assists while Baron logged for only 23 minutes last night says a lot really, their ability to change roles and still win games hands down (GSW shot 40% (11-27) from the 3 point range last night). The Sonics allow their opponents to shoot .471 which should provide enough space for the Warriors shooters to knock down treys, but also keep the ball distribution at a respectable level (27 assists last night).

Ray Allen flamed the Warriors by two 30 point efforts this season, but Seattle still lost both games. This bet fits in the situational play category as well: The fact GSW are b2b provides enough value, while the fact they're playing Utah in 3 days, closing the road trip before returning home, also provides a good spot to back them here, and look at a possible Jazz win (ATS) on Tuesday, since Sloan's men are possibly facing 4th consecutive loss tonight when they take on the Cavs in Cleveland.

One more thing: Not only Ridnour is returning from injury, so his production tonight is quite a gamble, but Ray Allen is playing on two bad ankles for a while now. When will that finally start to take it's toll nobody knows (not even the Sonics' medical team), but it is unpleasant.
The fact that the Sonics dropped 4 straight games, GSW being 5-0 with Baron and the guys in the lineup, the fact they've been playing well against far superior team than they're facing tonight, makes this one a 10 unit bet in my book.

More plays to follow...

have a good one guys.
:cheers:

sucker bet

im a sucker too i got them str8 bet and with a doggie parlay with Utah good luck chalky

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is what a 10 unit bet (on one side, not involving the side + totals) deserves in my eyes.

Will be more brief this time:

Jazz ML (3.16 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

I'm willing to take a stab at these juicy odds here. The fact that Utah dropped 3 straight games makes this one even more compelling, plus the fact they're playing 4th in 5 nights might not be as big as one would think.
Cleveland are flying high right now, but they're no world beaters. They're riding a hot streak, and this is something to be respected, the fact they've dropped consecutive games in Ohio by an average of 22 points makes me not like the spread here, it's the ML (with lower stakes) or nothing, as there really is a possibility Cleveland will keep their rhythm and thump the suddenly slumping Jazz by double digits.
However, the fact that the Jazz are mostly healthy, deep, and knowing how versatile they are, plus Boozer coming back to "the scene of the crime" this one could be a really interesting clash. Don't forget Utah are a .672 team this season.

As I mentioned before, this one reminds me of the Spurs at Pistons game a month ago, when the Spurs were riding a bad streak, playing poorly, coming to Detroit just before the All Star break and stepping up big.
Jazz COULD step up big here. The fact they lost 3 straight doesn't make them an auto fade in my book.
Even more if we know that two out of those 3 could have easily been wins. Miami's 4th quarter comeback and Korver's winning basket with 5 seconds left says that we could've seen a different story coming into this game.

Furthermore, don't forget that this team can play some serious basketball, and even though Gordan Giricek will probably miss tonight's clash (due to sore ribs), they have more than enough depth to cope with the Cavs.
Small words of advice, which some would find contradicting, but others won't:

Don't take the points here. Cleveland could, if they win, take this one by double digits and this could get ugly. But there's another possibility, the one of Utah stepping up in a very unfavorable position, when no one would expect them to, against a hot team that just won 7 in a row and had more rest.
Utah aren't some underachieving perennial loser team: they are 18-12 on the road and 43-21 overall this season.

The GS play makes alot of sense but I'm finding it real hard to have any confidence in that Warrior team on the road...Just when you think they have turned it around they go and get smacked by 20 points....BOL

As I wrote in the preview, that was without Baron Davis. With him (and others) they are 5-0 this season, including a complete blowout win over the Pistons (on the road and b2b).

But of course, GSW are by no means a lock on the road, nor have I suggested that, I just like the bet because despite the Warriors' recent success and convincing performances, they're still flying quite under the radar here and don't have that much attention tonight judging from what I've seen on various forums.

:shake: GL tonight Bkzinfest.

adding one more, this will probably be it from me for tonight:

Bulls (-5) (1.93 @ Pinnacle) 6 units

Liking this one as well. The Bulls routed the Grizzlies last time the two teams met by 111-66 two months ago, but I don't think this is some huge revenge spot for the hosts.
Memphis are just a bad basketball team right now, and this number (5) isn't as big as one might think, even if it is road chalk.
The Bulls have found their game again, winning 4 in a row, and should be up for keeping the streak going against one of the worst teams in the association.
The Bulls have Ben Wallace and Luol Deng listed as probable, which suggests they will both play (very likely), and with them aboard I don't see a reason not to bet the Bulls here. They obviously provide a huge mismatch (in Bulls favor) for the Grizzlies, and frankly I don't see Memphis as a team ready to step up against a quality team like the Bulls.
Actually, I don't see Memphis as a team, period.

Apparently these guys repeat themselves after every game they play, "we need to play as a team", "we need to start playing better", etc...
That won't happen. They're already thinking about the draft, how to build the team for the next season and get back to the top.
By "they" I don't mean the players, they're playing to earn their salaries, but the team owners and GM.
Bulls win this one by double digits, I have very few doubts about that one.

The line is moving to the Sonics. if you wait you'll probably be able to get GS +5 before tip.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I'm riding that Satyr train tonight, come on Warriors!
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks Terpman, GL. :shake:

Btw, the Bulls are laying an egg so far. 17-27, 31% FG...

come on Bulls pick that game up.

Don't bet Bulls game 2H. Line is fishy and I think they either come back and win strong or lay an egg and pack it in

adding 2 more plays was dumb when you knew G St. was a easy winner

Not the best Satyrday ever so far, lost the hockey play, lost two NBA plays so far, I need GSW to cash in now, hopefully they will.

Warrriors are trying to choke this one away. The Boston Strangler couldnt be squeezing their throats any tighter.

BOL Satyr

Thanks BC, you brought some luck to me, the Warriors cashed and actually made the day quite bearable. :shake:

:cheers:

yep I'm in black when NBA is concerned, but small loss considering I took the Stars as well.

:shake: still bearable. Would've been a 23 unit drop had the Warriors lost :eek:

:shake:

Back