NBA rumors....

YesSir

Brian Windhorst
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=3>Things across the wire for today

Wednesday, March 7
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
dal.gif

Dallas

</TD><TD>Visit To Dallas

</TD><TD>Just Business
Mar 7 - Scottie Pippen was seated near the court for Tuesday's game but said he "doesn't want to start anything" regarding speculation of his comeback. He is in town on business that does not concern the Mavs. -- Dallas Morning News "I did not come here to see the Mavs," Pippen said. "I came here to play golf. I'm on a tour -- a business tour. And it's got nothing to do with basketball at all." "At the rate they're playing, they can keep that spot," Pippen said. "They can sign [owner] Mark Cuban to that spot. It's not like they need anything. They don't need me." -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3706.jpg

Carmelo Anthony
Nuggets
</TD><TD>Poor Attitude
</TD><TD>Take A Seat
Mar 7 - If Carmelo Anthony ends the season a changed player for the better, the Nuggets can thank ... Denver Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla? Maybe.
Asked whether his determination to prove his love for winning over stats came from reading the column, Anthony said, "Of course. All of it. Because what I read was not true. I'm not an immature person. I know that. Hopefully you guys know that. Just last week I was the most mature person in the NBA, now I'm immature.
"It happens, you go through ups and downs. I think I went through a lot in my four-year career. This is another blow that I have to take and put behind me, just take it and deal with it and move forward." -- Denver Post
Hornets coach Byron Scott said Tuesday that he wasn't surprised by the news of the rift between Nuggets coach George Karl and star forward Carmelo Anthony.
"I saw it on ESPN, and I just kind of looked at it and smiled," Scott said. "But I've got just as many problems probably as George does, so I don't even think about that." -- The Oklahoman
Tuesday's report ...
Carmelo Anthony is too old and too rich to be bent over the knee of a basketball coach and spanked, although some tough love seems to be precisely what Melo deserves.
But the stressed-out, sulking star of the slumping Nuggets is not so big that coach George Karl is afraid to bench Anthony.
"I think that's the next move," Karl said Monday, revealing that Anthony will be removed from games and shown a seat on the bench if the all-star forward fails to play smart, team basketball. "I've told Melo in the last two weeks, 'I don't think you're listening. I don't think you're listening as well as you need to listen.' For me, the next step is to change the democracy back to a dictatorship." -- Denver Post

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3662.jpg

Smush Parker
Lakers
</TD><TD>Bad Attitude
</TD><TD>Adjustment Needed
Mar 7 - Smush Parker glared at one reporter when he was asked about his horrendous free-throw shooting this season and in the loss to Minnesota.
Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Parker makes his free throws in practice, but not in the games. Well, the games are where it counts.
When Parker is taken out of games, he usually sits at the end of the bench and doesn't join the huddle during time outs. That's not the kind of attitude a journeyman player like Parker should have. The way Parker is going, he may find himself out of the NBA if he doesn't shape up and get a better attitude -- real soon. -- Riverside Press-Enterprise

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
30074.jpg

Sam Mitchell
</TD><TD>New Contract
</TD><TD>Not Thinking About Next Year
Mar 7 - Sam Mitchell especially hates the term 'lame duck' which is used for a coach who has no contract past the present season. "First of all," he said yesterday. "I don't swim in water. I don't have webbed feet and I don't go 'quack, quack.'" As the Raptors have greatly improved over last season, there have been suggestions that Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo should offer his coach an extension. But Mitchell said that he would prefer not to have to worry about next season's contract (if there is one forthcoming), until the end of the year. -- Toronto Sun

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
nba_a_amaechi_65.jpg

John Amaechi
</TD><TD>Oprah Winfrey Show
</TD><TD>Let's Talk
Mar 7 - John Amaechi, The Man in the Middle, isn't about to give up the perch. Not with a bestseller. Not with a second book already in the works. And certainly not in the back yard of the man who gave him an unintentional assist, Tim Hardaway.
Two of the most polar-opposite men in sports will come face-to-face on television soon if Hardaway agrees, Amaechi said Tuesday night before a book signing for The Man in the Middle at Barnes & Noble in Fort Lauderdale. "I'd agree to it, so it won't be on me," Amaechi said, responding to rumors that such a meeting could take place on Oprah Winfrey's show. "It's certainly something I'd be interested in doing. And I think everybody deserves a chance at redemption." -- Palm Beach Post

3275.jpg

Rashard Lewis
SuperSonics
</TD><TD>Next Contract
</TD><TD>Open To Any Situation
Mar 7 - Rashard Lewis will test the free agent waters this summer and like any top available player with an eye toward a huge payday, he isn't about to rule out the Knicks.
"Right now I'm going to be open to any situation," Lewis said yesterday. "I just want to see, get feedback from other teams.
Lewis said that the idea of playing in the league's biggest market appeals to him. "I'm a good player, but publicity-wise, I'm not out there as much," he said. "I think being in a big market will help me be out there off the court as well as on the court." -- New York Daily News The salary cap-restricted Knicks would have to work out a trade in order to land Lewis, who would forfeit $10.1 million next season and $10.9 million in 2008-09 to become a free agent. The midlevel exception, which maxes out at around $5 million a year, certainly won't cut it. But it's likely the Knicks will explore something if Lewis is available. -- Newsday

30012.jpg

Phil Jackson
</TD><TD>Contract Extension
</TD><TD>Bogus Report
Mar 7 - There was a story in the Orange County Register recently that Phil Jackson, who has one year remaining on his deal, had already agreed to a contract extension. But no such deal has been announced and the Lakers insist the report was bogus. "There haven't been any formal talks yet," a Lakers spokesman said. "Mitch Kupchak and Phil's attorney were going to meet sometime in March, but that meeting has not taken place. I think Phil's health will be a determining factor in what he does, and he's probably going to have his other hip repaired this summer." -- Los Angeles Times

3180.jpg

Danny Fortson
SuperSonics
</TD><TD>Buyout
</TD><TD>Request Denied
Mar 7 - Danny Fortson confirmed Tuesday that he asked for a buyout last month after the Sonics were unable to trade him. He said team officials denied his request, however, and told him he'd have to finish the final year of his deal. "I brought it up in a conversation with Bob Hill and Rick [Sund]," Fortson said. "They basically said they could use me and we all agreed that I can go out and help them get to the playoffs. So I'm here." When asked if the Sonics would be better served if they bought out the remainder of Fortson's $7 million contract, coach ,b>Bob Hill</B> said: "That's not for me to say. That's for ownership to [decide]." -- Seattle Times

den.gif

Denver
</TD><TD>10-Day Contract
</TD><TD>Nuggets Eye Three
Mar 7 - Despite working out three NBADL swingmen Sunday, the Nuggets do not appear close to signing a player to a 10-day contract, with reasons including the uncertainty surrounding their luxury tax situation and J.R. Smith coming back from injury. -- Rocky Mountain News Monday's report ...
The Nuggets, considering signing a player to a 10-day contract, worked out three swingmen Sunday. On hand were 6-foot-5 Von Wafer, 6-7 Luke Jackson and 6-6 Joe Shipp, who all primarily have played this season in the NBA Development League. Wafer last week was let loose early from a 10-day contract with the Clippers and Jackson had a 10-day deal with the Clippers in January. The Nuggets also have shown interest in Casey Jacobsen, who is playing in Germany. But Jacob sen's preference is to return to the NBA for the rest of the season rather than on a 10-day contract. -- Rocky Mountain News

3004.jpg

Antonio McDyess
Pistons
</TD><TD>Opt-Out
</TD><TD>Not Interested
Mar 7 - This summer, Antonio McDyess can opt out of the final year of his contract, which would pay him about $6.3 million. Many players opt out because it's a chance to get more money or a longer deal.
McDyess, 32, said he's not interested. "As of now," McDyess said, "I don't see any point right now. It never crosses my mind. ... I just look forward to what will happen this year, and, hopefully, get a ring. "All I want is a championship," he said. -- Detroit Free Press

3818.jpg

Dwight Howard
Magic
</TD><TD>Exhibition Games
</TD><TD>Promos For China
Mar 7 - Although the league still hasn't made the official announcement -- because all the contracts haven't been signed -- Magic center Dwight Howard was filming NBA television commercials Tuesday after practice in preparation for playing two exhibition games next fall in China against the Cleveland Cavaliers. LeBron James of the Cavs will be doing similar work in the coming days. The television crew was trying to teach Howard a few Chinese words to use. Howard was in China last summer doing promotional work for his shoe manufacturer, and said he enjoyed the visit. -- Orlando Sentinel

0847.jpg

Shaquille O'Neal
Heat
</TD><TD>Child Obesity
</TD><TD>Shaq Gets TV Show
Mar 7 - Joining such luminaries as Flavor Flav, Hulk Hogan and the late Anna Nicole Smith, Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal is getting a reality television show.
ABC has signed on for a six-episode series featuring Diesel as he helps Florida schoolchildren lose weight. The yet-to-be-titled series, set to air this summer, will track the lives of the kids while O'Neal is on hand as a booster. In episodes yet to be shot, Shaq will lobby politicians about causes such as school nutrition and health education, Daily Variety reported. -- Detroit Free Press

chi.gif

Chicago
</TD><TD>Letter To Season Ticket-Holders
</TD><TD>Special Delivery
Mar 7 - Letters from general managers to season ticket-holders are common in sports. The one John Paxson sent to Bulls season ticket-holders dated Tuesday, is somewhat unusual, however, in its bluntness. Among other topics, Paxson addressed how "the lack of a consistent low-post scorer [puts] a tremendous burden on our outside shooters." Paxson said the need would be addressed through trade, free agency or the draft. Paxson also expressed disappointment in the team's inability to hold leads or close games, as well as the turnover issue. He also said Andres Nocioni would be "sidelined for much of March" because of plantar fasciitis in his right foot. -- Chicago Tribune

3099.jpg

Stephon Marbury
Knicks
</TD><TD>Talk Show
</TD><TD>Stars On Stars
Mar 7 - Add Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to the gaudy guest list of Stephon Marbury's new TV talk show, "Stars on Stars," which debuts Friday at 4:30 p.m. on Fox SportsNet. Marbury told The Post he interviewed Abdul-Jabbar on Monday. "It was intense," said Marbury, whose show will run for 13 weeks and debuts with Kobe Bryant - a show taped in September. Marbury also has done shows with golfer Vijay Singh, director Spike Lee, Bengals receiver Rudy Johnson and actor Michael Rappaport. -- New York Post

4135.jpg

Randy Foye
Timberwolves
</TD><TD>Disorderly Conduct
</TD><TD>Citation Dismissed
Mar 7 - From the beginning, Timberwolves rookie Randy Foye said he had done nothing wrong. Turns out the city of Minneapolis agrees. The assistant city attorney informed Foye by letter that the citation he had been issued in connection with a Feb. 12 scuffle had been dismissed. "I told everyone from the beginning what was going on," Foye said. "And I know most people believed me. But a lot of people didn't. But the facts came out, so it's over and I'm happy. It's good to have it all out, all done. Now I can just focus on playing." -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

18941.jpg

Marcus Williams
</TD><TD>NBA Draft
</TD><TD>No Rush
Mar 7 - Marcus Williams said he isn't ready to "fully back" Lute Olson's statement because he wants to talk with his family. "It's been assumed, but it's not concrete," said Williams, who said he and Olson talked about the NBA draft. "I'm not thinking about that right now." The 6-foot-7 forward did confirm Olson's assertion that Williams would stay in the draft and hire an agent if he declares. -- Tucson Citizen

264.gif

Washington
</TD><TD>NBA Draft
</TD><TD>Leaving Early?
Mar 7 - The early word on Spencer Hawes coming from the pro ranks is he has greatly intrigued scouts with his ability to shoot and pass with either hand, something they find a decided rarity. At the same time Hawes' inability to post up consistently or play defense in an adequate fashion, outside of lunging and swatting away shots, likely has dropped him from early to middle first-round draft status.
Jon Brockman has NBA interests but says they can wait. "I've always wanted to play in the NBA and it's something I've been dreaming about since I can remember," Brockman said. "But it's not something I feel I need to do right away. I love college basketball. I love the coaches. I love the program. To fulfill my dreams it's not something where I have to leave right away." -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

99.gif

LSU
</TD><TD>NBA Draft
</TD><TD>Tough Decision
Mar 7 - The specter of the NBA draft has hung over Glen Davis this season, and his mother Tonya Davis was arrested Jan. 22 for prostitution and possession of cocaine.
Davis said he has spoken to former teammates Brandon Bass and Tyrus Thomas who give him slightly differing viewpoints.
"If I feel I can't get any better in college, I'll leave," Davis said. "(Brandon Bass told him) If you are not 100 percent on what you want, don't go. Tyrus says it's a different ballgame, but you have to do it sooner or later. He said he's glad he went. You can't get that money back. "I do still enjoy being a college student, enjoy hanging out with the guys. That's one of the main reasons I'd come back, getting rid of that bad taste." -- New Orleans Times-Picayune

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=3>Tuesday, March 6</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3327.jpg

Lamar Odom
Lakers
</TD><TD>Shoulder Injury
</TD><TD>Decision On Hold
Mar 6 - Lakers forward Lamar Odom will wait two to three weeks before choosing from three options in his road to recovery from a torn labrum in his shooting shoulder.
He could try to play again, undergo season-ending surgery on the left shoulder or wait another couple of weeks on top of the next two or three to see whether there is further progress.
The regular season ends April 18 for the Lakers, six weeks from Wednesday. -- Los Angeles Times Lakers coach Phil Jackson said the team was moving forward with the expectation that Odom will not play again this season. Odom previously suffered a torn labrum in the same shoulder that required surgery and ended his 2004-05 season prematurely. "Every day's like, `Whatcha got now in this game?"' Jackson said. "We have to find a way to play with the group of guys we have and win." -- Los Angeles Daily News

Back