NBA Playoffs Saturday-Game 7...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
18-9-1 +31.90 units

Last posted play was obviously a terrible one. Luckily, been keeping all the losses on the smaller unit plays. I had a small play on Miami tonight. I almost flirted with the under too. I know I did those in contest, didn't play side till close to gametime. I wasn't near a computer at that time to post. Either way, this great series between Chicago and Boston comes to a conclusion tonight in Boston.

The first of two game 7's in the east, the Celtics and Bulls have been the complete opposite of Hawks and Heat series. Miami and Atlanta have been all blowouts with rarely any lead changes. The team up after first quarter has won every game. Obviously we all know the story with the other series. It has been a classic and tempers are getting heated. Shuttlesworth put in an epic shooting performance in Game 6. The Bulls fought to the end and thwarted off adversity.

Few factors to look at for this game. First, is the homecourt advantage. I love that this is a night game instead of a 1:00 tip on Sunday. It gives gthe fans all day to get revved up and ready. It should be a raucous atmosphere at TD Garden. Second thing to look at is experience. The Celtics were in two Game 7's last year, both at home. The first round affair with Atalnat ended up being a blowout. The 2nd round with Cleveland was the great shootout with Pierce and James. The young guys on Boston learned their way thru the playoffs last year. By the ECF's and NBA Finals they finally learned how to win games on the road. At the same point this team has lost just 2 playoff games at home the past two years. Third, momentum. This was thing that may get overrated here. Both teams put it all on the line the other night. Doc just looked drained when the camera flashed towards him in the 3rd overtime. At the same point, the Baby Bulls had to fight for every inch in that game from missed FT's to the Hinrich controversial layup to fighting off a herculean effort from Ray Allen. One days rest here and who knows what team is more tired. I say the homecourt helps boost the energy level of the Celtics tremendously.

Why I am taking Boston in a nutshell:

-Better PG play. Rondo has been dazzling. Rose, somewhat inconsistent but learning valuable lessons and the sky is the limit for him. PG play has been so crucial so far in the playoffs.
-Best clutch player in Paul Pierce. We saw them take over down the stretch of Game 5 or we may not even be talking about this game right now. Allen has been superb as well. Gordon not shabby but I'll take the ball in Paul's hands all second half.
-Defense, rebounding and believe it or not..coaching. All huge in a deciding game. Game 7's are just different in any sport.

It's been a great series which means this game should be a dud. I think it will be somewhat. The Celtics jump out early, the Bulls creep back and Boston puts the hammer down in the 2nd half. Boston 101-88

Boston -6.5 -110 3 units

i agree, bar. the first 6 games were all close, and now we have a 6.5 out there? great value on a great home team, imho. let's do this, playa.

Btw,

this is setting up perfectly. Checked a few other forums and most of the people at those places see Chicago with the points as an absolute gift tomorrow. Keep it coming. Move that line down more too.

This might get lost, but hopefully you'll see it, BAR.

I wanted to make sure what you did the other night on the Miami total wasn't lost.

People a lot of times complain about write-ups--less here, obviously, but it's out there. They just want the pick or whatever, tell me what to bet But you did a truly impressive job of breaking that game down, and when the officials were announced it only added to exactly what you already had going.

I know I should have put more on it than I did, don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the win. But the announced officials screamed how right you were, and five minutes in you knew based on the way the game was being called that the over was going to get a lot of help. But above all it was an excellent job of handicapping.

In fact, I know you bet both the side and total in the game and lost the side, but the truth is, your side call was absolutely spot on as well. They did send Wade to the line more often, he did get more chances, he did get more points--it just so happened nobody helped him out.

At any rate I wanted to make sure you got the credit you deserved, because I know this isn't like grade school where you get points for showing your work (which, by the way, shouldn't be confused with showing your package, Croc was into that for a while and, well, anyway it's best left undiscussed). Anyway, I know it's not like that, but although there's nothing wrong with just throwing up a play with no reasoning, or letting people know you'll discuss it if asked, when someone takes the time to really handicap a game--and just nails it inside and out--I think that deserves special recognition.

Great job.

We did have to put a restraning order on Croc awhile back. It was tough for him at first but he has come around to the terms and regulations. I do appreciate it Joe. In handicapping, everyone loves winning. Their is the segment of us that get more appreciation sometimes from breaking a game down correctly. We all have won a bet where our analysis was way off and lost bets where it was spot on. That's the catch to this hobby of ours. It feels a lot better though when you can break it down correctly and cash in. It breeds confidence for yourself and lets one know they are on the right track. That game played out perfectly for the total. Seventy-Three FT attempts was just what the doctor ordered. That's why I played the total one unit more. And, I got back that side play tonight with the Heat, so thats comforting. Great comment about grade school too. That was pretty good. Thanks again, I do appreciate it.

Last edited:
CELTS

As the Celtics' series with Chicago wore on, coach Doc Rivers actually shortened his bench. With three overtime games, that meant an extra work load for the regulars.
Asked how concerned he was with managing minutes, Rivers said, "Well, clearly I'm not managing minutes. I'm playing guys 50 minutes. But, listen, they're basketball players. That's what we do. You know? We get days off in between. Hell, we play all day. And that's our attitude. If we had to play guys 60 minutes, we'll do it. What else is there to do right now?"
Paul Pierce has been fighting through nagging injuries and fatigue, but he backed up his boss.
"You've got to understand, when we grew up playing basketball, you may play like three or four games in one day," he said. "So to play these minutes (isn't difficult). What Doc is doing with us in the off days, he's saving our legs. I do a good job of getting my treatments, getting my rest and so, hey, at some point when you're in close games and it's the playoffs, it's mental and you don't really think about it."
The key, according to Rivers, is to avoid giving in to the fatigue.
"I mean, it does (get tough)," he said. "Yeah, but this is what we're in. There's just no way around it, and we can't make an excuse about it. That's what I tell our guys. I say, 'Hey, it is what it is. We're playing a lot of minutes.'
"We use the statement about victims all the time. You're only a victim if you act like one. And we just can't act like one right now."
BULLS 128, CELTICS 127 (3 OT): Ray Allen had 51 points, but the Celtics couldn't come up with enough at the end Thursday night in Chicago. The series now goes back to Boston for a seventh game Saturday night.
The Celtics came back from 11 down in the last quarter to lead by eight with 3:35 left. But they couldn't hold on as Brad Miller scored twice to force the NBA record fourth overtime of the series.
John Salmons got the equalizer at the end of the first extra period and Allen hit a trey to even it at the end of the second.
The Celtics then committed three of their 13 turnovers in the third overtime. The biggest was a Joakim Noah steal of Paul Pierce. Noah went in for a fast break and was fouled by Pierce. He hit the free throw to give the Bulls a lead they would never relinquish.
"We are supposed to be a defensive team," said Doc Rivers. "We've got to be better on defense. With an eight-point lead, if you are a good defensive team, you literally don't have to score again."
NOTES, QUOTES
—Though he didn't come out to watch the game from courtside, Danny Ainge was back in the Garden Tuesday night. The general manager was making his first appearance at a Celtics game since suffering a heart attack and undergoing surgery to clear arterial blockage on April 16.
"I'm back in the lineup," said Ainge. "I feel good. There's nothing much to say. I got a wake-up call."
Ainge acknowledged that he will back off on his consumption of "comfort foods."
"Flat Patties in Cambridge may have to get in on that government bailout," he said.
—The Bulls aren't happy with Rajon Rondo's shot to Brad Miller's mouth that drew blood late in overtime Tuesday, but Doc Rivers defended his point guard, who wasn't called for a flagrant foul on the play.
"I don't think Rondo fouled him to hurt him or anything like that," said the coach. "I think that Rondo clearly was trying to go for it, and then he just couldn't reach it, and then he tried to grab whatever he could grab. But Brad Miller clearly wants to make a big deal out of that, so we'll let him."
The NBA sided with Rondo. League spokesman Tim Frank said that the play "stands as called." That means no fine or suspension, or even flagrant foul points.
"We felt Rondo was making a basketball play and going for the ball after a blown defensive assignment by the Celtic team," NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson said. "In terms of the criteria that we use to evaluate a flagrant foul penalty one, generally we like to consider whether or not there was a windup, an appropriate level of impact and a follow-through. And with this foul, we didn't see a windup, nor did he follow through. So for that reason we're not going to upgrade this foul to a flagrant foul penalty one."
As things get predictably rough in the series, Paul Pierce just shrugged.
"I mean, that's the way the playoffs are played," he said. "The refs aren't really going to give you anything. They're going to make you earn every win, and that's the way it should be."
QUOTE TO NOTE: "After the game, I was thinking about all the plays I missed. When you are on the losing end, that's what you remember." — Ray Allen.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Rajon Rondo, Shooting guard Ray Allen, Small forward Paul Pierce, Power forward Glen Davis, Center Kendrick Perkins. Bench — Guard Eddie House, Guard-Forward Tony Allen, Forward Brian Scalabrine, Center Mikki Moore, Guard Stephon Marbury.
PLAYER NOTES:
—G Ray Allen's 51 points were his career-playoff high. His previous best was 45.
—G Rajon Rondo had an off-night scoring in Game 6, but he had nine rebounds, 19 assists and zero turnovers.
—F Paul Pierce had 22 points, but he was sluggish again with 5-for-13 shooting. He fouled out after Joakim Noah stole the ball from him in the third overtime.

BULLS

Bulls center Brad Miller offered an early prediction for what's in store for Saturday's climactic Game 7 in Boston.
"Probably about seven overtimes in Game 7, I would say," he said. "That's just a prediction. About a five-hour game."
The comparisons continue to fall in this remarkable matchup between the Bulls and Celtics. No other playoff series in NBA history featured more than two games that went to overtime. This one has had four.
The Bulls and Celtics have played five games decided by 3 points or less. That has happened one other time in playoff history, the 1981 Eastern Conference finals when Boston beat Philadelphia in seven games.
This series will finally be settled with a Game 7. The Bulls are 3-5 all time in seventh games, but are 0-5 on the road. One question is whether either side will have any energy left with just one day of rest.
"We've got a lot of young guys, more than they've got," Miller said. "So they're obviously going to step up and bring their 'A' game. We are, too."
Added coach Vinny Del *****, "We are going to have to play the best game of the series. The pressure is all on them. They're at home, they're the defending champions. We are just going to go in there and play."
Seven Bulls are averaging in double-figures in this series, led by guard Ben Gordon at 22.8 points per game. and rookie Derrick Rose at an even 20.0.
If the Bulls can manage a win, they'll head straight to Orlando and open the second round on Monday.
BULLS 128, CELTICS 127 (3 OT): The never-ending thrills continued on Thursday in Game 6 at the United Center. In fact, the Bulls and Celtics outdid themselves by playing three overtimes before the Bulls finally won 128-127 to force a Game 7 on Saturday in Boston. The twists and turns in this contest were far too many to mention. During the fourth quarter, the Bulls went from 12 points up to eight down in a span of six minutes, then delivered a furious rally in the final three minutes and tied the score on Brad Miller's lane drive with 29.7 seconds remaining. Fast forward to the third overtime and the Celtics had the ball with score tied when Bulls center Joakim Noah stole a pass, raced down the court and threw down a dunk while getting fouled. The three-point play with 35 seconds left put the Bulls ahead for good, but it wasn't over until Derrick Rose blocked Rajon Rondo's jumper with about five seconds left to secure the one-point lead. Boston guard Ray Allen poured in 51 points, while forward John Salmons scored 35 to lead the Bulls.
NOTES, QUOTES
—An already edgy playoff series heated up even more in the first quarter of Game 6 when Kirk Hinrich and Boston guard Rajon Rondo squared off. Hinrich was trying to box out when Rondo threw Hinrich into the scorer's table. Hinrich came back with an angry shove, but that's as far as it went. Rondo was given a flagrant foul, while Hinrich earned a technical.
"It was just a basic scuffle," Hinrich said. "I was just trying to box him out. I guess he thought I was doing too much so he grabbed my arm and threw me away. I went back and pushed him. It was one of those things you get caught up in the moment."
—Center Brad Miller has become a late-game focal point of this playoff series. At the end of Game 5 in Boston, he was smacked in the face by Celtics guard Rajon Rondo while trying to score the game-tying lay-up. Dazed and spitting blood from a gash in his lip, Miller missed both free throws with two seconds left. He bounced back to lead a late comeback in Game 6, though. After hitting a clutch three-pointer with 1:06 left, Miller tied the score on a driving lay-up — no foul this time — with 29.7 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. He added another basket and hit 4-of-4 free throws in the overtimes. "I don't know if it was a reaction (to what happened in Game 5), but I think I was just determined," Miller said. "I showed a lot of emotion in this game tonight, trying to will it through. I definitely wanted to get another crack at them in Game 7."
QUOTE TO NOTE: "I feel great. I feel like I could play right now. It's bigger than being tired. That's what wanting to win real bad is all about, just being numb to all those other things." — Center Joakim Noah after the Bulls survived in triple-overtime to force a Game 7 in Boston on Saturday.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Derrick Rose, Shooting guard Ben Gordon, Small forward John Salmons, Power forward Tyrus Thomas, Center Joakim Noah. Bench — Guard Kirk Hinrich, Guard Lindsey Hunter, Guard Anthony Roberson, Guard DeMarcus Nelson, Forward Tim Thomas, Forward Linton Johnson, Center Aaron Gray, Center Brad Miller.
PLAYER NOTES:
—G Ben Gordon wasn't quite himself in the second game trying to play with a left hamstring strain. He scored 12 points, hit just 4-of-14 shots and fouled out in the first overtime against Boston on Thursday.
—F John Salmons really stepped up while teammate Ben Gordon struggled in Game 6 against the Celtics. Salmons hit 13-of-22 shots for 35 points, his highest point total since scoring 38 against Boston in the regular season on March 17.
—G Derrick Rose finally got the best of Boston counterpart Rajon Rondo in Thursday's win. Rose finished with 28 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. Rondo dished out 19 assists, but scored just eight points and had a jumper blocked by Rose with about five seconds left in the third overtime and the Celtics down by one.

I'm not sure which I appreciated more, BAR. The post, or the Freudian slip:

We did have to put a restraning order on Coc awhile back.

=)

"We felt Rondo was making a basketball play and going for the ball after a blown defensive assignment by the Celtic team," NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson said.

Thats pretty funny stuff.

no f'ing way... Paul ran the show... Kevin was a pawn
Of course it's gotta be grown up Paul
moz-screenshot-3.jpg

This might get lost, but hopefully you'll see it, BAR.

I wanted to make sure what you did the other night on the Miami total wasn't lost.

People a lot of times complain about write-ups--less here, obviously, but it's out there. They just want the pick or whatever, tell me what to bet But you did a truly impressive job of breaking that game down, and when the officials were announced it only added to exactly what you already had going.

I know I should have put more on it than I did, don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the win. But the announced officials screamed how right you were, and five minutes in you knew based on the way the game was being called that the over was going to get a lot of help. But above all it was an excellent job of handicapping.

In fact, I know you bet both the side and total in the game and lost the side, but the truth is, your side call was absolutely spot on as well. They did send Wade to the line more often, he did get more chances, he did get more points--it just so happened nobody helped him out.

At any rate I wanted to make sure you got the credit you deserved, because I know this isn't like grade school where you get points for showing your work (which, by the way, shouldn't be confused with showing your package, Croc was into that for a while and, well, anyway it's best left undiscussed). Anyway, I know it's not like that, but although there's nothing wrong with just throwing up a play with no reasoning, or letting people know you'll discuss it if asked, when someone takes the time to really handicap a game--and just nails it inside and out--I think that deserves special recognition.

Great job.

Couldn't agree more. If there's one thing lacking in the NBA forum, it's a proper amount of praise directed at BAR. Props, Joe, for having the courage to swim against the tide and throw some damn recognition at this guy.

:shake:

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

hey bar - great work and gl with the play

i like that you call this a hobby, i'm gonna use that...

Great writeup man, like them for all the same reasons. GL

Any quick thoughts on denver laying 6 tomorrow?

Awesome writeup and great job in the playoffs. One question: How do you feel about a Boston 1st half play? My local hasn't given me a 1st half line (assuming -3/-3.5). You mentioned that you thought that Boston would jump out early which I agree. I see the HC being big early on (possibly the whole game) and Boston getting out to a 7-9 point halftime lead. Thoughts? Thanks in advance and I'm riding Boston with you. GL with the play and continued success.

Killa, I can only shake my head. I still take in the top-5 of shit around here. Granted, half of that is in mod forums.

Tito, thanks.

Cheesesteak, I am still looking at both games tomorrow. I am more inclined to watch Game 1's though than in past to get a feel for the series. I think the line is a bit inflated. Thats basically what they were giving New Orleans the first two games. Then again, that line proved to be off sop you can look at it both ways.

Kramer, gl on the series bet. Enjoy the game tonight.

ATP, I almost feel like the first half will be like Game #2 in where the early surge will be by Boston and Chicago climbs back after the emotion where's off. I feel much more confident about a full game play here on Boston though.

t-dot, dankya

tee*dub, good to see ya and thanks.

Double B, thanks and GL

Throw, stop spamming the forums ;)

Killa, I can only shake my head. I still take in the top-5 of shit around here. Granted, half of that is in mod forums.

Tito, thanks.

Cheesesteak, I am still looking at both games tomorrow. I am more inclined to watch Game 1's though than in past to get a feel for the series. I think the line is a bit inflated. Thats basically what they were giving New Orleans the first two games. Then again, that line proved to be off sop you can look at it both ways.

Kramer, gl on the series bet. Enjoy the game tonight.

ATP, I almost feel like the first half will be like Game #2 in where the early surge will be by Boston and Chicago climbs back after the emotion where's off. I feel much more confident about a full game play here on Boston though.

t-dot, dankya

tee*dub, good to see ya and thanks.

Double B, thanks and GL

Throw, stop spamming the forums ;)

:(

All in good fun man. Great job so far in the playoffs, glad to see you do well after surviving that brutal grind that is the regular season. Keep it up!

i think the points are a trap, CHI wins this one SU or loses by 25.

good luck BAR, i think i'm gonna sit on the under

Prolly going to sit tomorrow out. Definetly not playing Dallas-Denver. Waiting on refs for other one in morning. Early lean to under at Staples Monday night.

If Boston wins tonight Orlando may be a solid play Monday...but again..not anxious to get involved in Game One's.

best of luck tonight BAR...health on Boston..im actually taking the points to be safe. I won't be suprised, if boston can jump ahead early first half this game is over.

Prolly going to sit tomorrow out. Definetly not playing Dallas-Denver. Waiting on refs for other one in morning. Early lean to under at Staples Monday night.

I am having trouble with tomorrow's MIA/ATL game as well. What is more important? Having homecourt or having Dwyane Wade?

If Boston wins tonight Orlando may be a solid play Monday...but again..not anxious to get involved in Game One's.

was thinking the same thing... haven't looked at their previous match-ups or anything, but from a situational standpoint I think Orlando looks good.

Situational indeed. Especially a first half play perhaps.

I gotta read the Orlando papers and whatnot to get a feel for how the team/howard is reacting after Game 6.

also keep an eye on the injury report for perkins,, if his shoulder is hurting, not much else on the bench after him, Scalabrine and mikki moore for bigs to cover howard.. and wile perkins had a nice series he is still foul prone,,..

Back