NBA Playoffs Monday...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
2-1 +3.80 units

Alright, all the series are off and rolling now. Obviously been an interesting start so far with all the overs and a few upsets. I wish I had played more of the card on Sunday because I had it down pretty good. Either way, I had to hold off on Atlanta and Philly. Didn't like how either team finished in the last few weeks. Both played excellent halves though.

Not touching the Boston game. It traditionally would seem like a situation to hit Boston pretty hard. It may still be. I didn;t like the lack of intensity from the team. It's obviously defelating knowing your team isn't good enough due to injury but show some pride. I still think they can dominate down low. They just need better transistion defense and show some emotion.

The Spurs-Mavericks game the other night was odd. The Spurs accomplished what they wanted to against Dirk and Jet. The problem was the rest of the team tore them up. The 54% shooting is telling and needs to be shored up. Now, this isn't new territory to the Spurs. They have been losing Game 1's in series for awhile now. They have the veteran team and homecourt to get the job done. It all starts on the defensive end. We'll know if they have some fight left after tomorrow night. Here is another thing. Look at the offensive ebounding from last game. The Spurs won it but the Mavericks outscored them severaly in the category. Shore that up and they will be fine. One concern is Parker. Don't like hearing him say he is tired. That being said, I still like the Spurs in this spot.

San Antonio -5.5 -110 2.5 units

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IADzX68s4-Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IADzX68s4-Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GL BAR. I'm still on the edge on this one- situationally yes SA down 0-1 at home to pretty much avoid the sweep (as if they go 0-2 at home what makes them think they can win at Dallas), but just from watching the game I don't know what more SA could do. Duncan got his, Parker got his, the role players were on fire from 3 (11-14 from 3), no1 on Dallas got particularly hot save a couple Bass lucky shots. What will happen if Dirk/Terry gets hot? I know this is also a bet of faith that Pop- the greatest coach in the league- will find some way to get this W and adjust, but just throwing ideas out.
Before the game, I said if SA somehow lost I'd love them game 2. But now, I'm hesitant
bol man
so far just got a Boston+SA ML Parlay at about -130. Probably could've thrown Clev/Orl in for +money, but I'd rather not

Yeah, I understand man. That game was a tale of two halves. I felt great after the first 18 minutes or so and fell asleep. Woke up and was stunned at what was going on. I think Pop overfocused on the stars on Dallas. Going to be amuch different plan imo. ML parlay looks solid.

If you didn't watch then just to update: JJ Barea killed San Antonio. SA was up I think 11 at one point in the 1st H and got Dirk his 3rd with like 9 left in the 2nd Q. Once Barea came onto the floor Dallas had a spark. The midget is their best defender and he's their energy guy- once he's on the rest of the team gets especially energized.
Parker murdered Kidd/Wright in the 1st Q/1st H, but once Barea got in he pestered the shit out of Parker- drawing 4 charges on him (only 3 were called I think, but at least once Barea got called for a foul when it was definitely a charge). Parker got benched a bit for Pop to chew him out, then when reinserted Parker started to differ a bit and settled for a couple 4th Q jumpers which is obviously what Dallas wanted.
I'm almost positive Barea starts the game at the 2 so it depends on what SA does as an adjustment. BOL again, I probably will end up adding it with you

Yeah, I prolly saw 30 of the 48 minutes in total. Barea was huge. Just his attacking the hoop helped out immensely for them to get offensive boards. He is a little pest. Parker needs to play more like he did in the season series and not let Spud Jr. here get to him.

Who would have ever thought JJ Barea would be a big factor in a playoff game..hmmm..freaking midget!!!

MAVS

Before Saturday's Game 1 against the San Antonio Spurs, guard Jason Terry said his team will go as far as Jason Kidd takes it.
Perhaps he actually meant the other J. — as in J.J. Barea.
The diminutive backup was sensational, outshining both Mavs starter Kidd and the Spurs' Tony Parker. Whether driving to the hoop and scoring or dishing, or drawing a fourth-quarter offensive foul on Parker, Barea proved to be the catalyst in the Mavs' huge victory in the series opener.
Barea finished with 13 points and three assists in 26 minutes. He also led the team with a plus-17 in the plus-minus statistic, meaning the Mavs outscored the Spurs by 17 points when Barea was on the floor.
"J.J. Barea made some big plays there in the second half," Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "It's all about team. Hopefully we get another one on Monday."
The good news for the Mavs is that they proved they can win with Kidd being a virtual non-factor. The veteran played 38:22 and had four points, five assists and eight rebounds.
The Spurs had no answer for Barea, who took control of the Mavs offense and carved the San Antonio defense, getting into the lane at will. He drove and got the and-1, followed by a Parker-like tear drop to put the Mavs up by 10 with 5:20 to play.
When Barea's whirling drives didn't go down, he forced help defense, which allowed Erick Dampier to clean the glass. The Mavs center pulled 11 rebounds, including four offensive boards.
MAVERICKS 105, SPURS 97: Josh Howard scored 25 points and in one stretch during the second and third quarters, he scored 14 of Dallas' 18 points to help put the Mavs in control. Reserve guard J.J. Barea proved to be the Mavs' most valuable player with 13 points and three assists. Forward Brandon Bass came off the bench and hit seven of nine shots for 14 points, including a dagger with 45 seconds to play. Dirk Nowitzki had 19 points and sat out a chunk of the second quarter with three fouls. Spurs forward Tim Duncan led the Spurs with 27 points and Tony Parker had 24, but Michael Finley (16 points) and Roger Mason (13) were the only other Spurs in double figures. The Spurs built a double-digit lead in the second quarter, but the Mavs' reserves led a comeback before halftime.
NOTES, QUOTES
—The Mavericks on Saturday snapped a nine-game road playoff losing streak dating back to Game 3 at Miami in the 2006 Finals.
—After shooting 35 percent in the first quarter, the Mavs finished Saturday's Game 1 by shooting 53.8 percent. Remarkably, that includes going just 5 of 17 from beyond the 3-point line.
—Dallas' bench outscored the Spurs reserves, 39-14, with Jason Terry (12 points), J.J. Barea (13) and Brandon Bass (14) accounting for all the scoring.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "There's no question about whose team it is. J-Kidd, how he goes, we go. It's his show." — Jason Terry, on the influence Jason Kidd has on the Mavs' success.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Jason Kidd, Shooting guard Antoine Wright, Small forward Josh Howard, Power forward Dirk Nowitzki, Center Erick Dampier. Bench — Guard Jason Terry, Guard J.J. Barea, Forward Brandon Bass, Forward James Singleton, Center Ryan Hollins.
PLAYER NOTES:
—G Antoine Wright expectedly drew the toughest defensive assignment for the Mavs: trying to keep up with Spurs guard Tony Parker, who torched Dallas for an average of 31.3 points during four regular-season games.
Wright, at 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds, makes it strength vs. speed. Parker won out early as Wright picked up two fouls after playing just 6:01 of the first quarter. He drew a third foul early in the third quarter with Parker sitting on the bench.
Wright drew the assignment to lessen the physical burden on Jason Kidd.
"He (Parker) is extremely competitive and he's going to keep taking it at you," Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said. "One guy's not going to stop him, just because of his quickness. It's a team responsibility."
The team effort won out. Parker finished with 24 points, but he needed 22 shots to get it.
Wright found some offense as well with six points in the fourth quarter. He'd been in a scoring funk in April as his defensive assignments toughened.
—F Josh Howard showed no signs that his cranky left ankle was giving him problems in Game 1, a positive sign for the Mavs.
Typically a hot starter, Howard wasn't on top of his game early. In the first quarter, won by the Spurs 29-18, he threw two passes into the stands and missed five of his first seven shots.
However, he heated up in the middle quarters, scoring 14 of the Mavs' 18 points during one stretch that helped them close a double-digit gap by halftime and take control in the third quarter.
"It's just us sticking together as a team, going out there and showing the world what we can do as a together squad and just staying positive," Howard said. "(We've) got to go out there and play our style of ball. Just go out and play. We know what to expect. Tough team, tough environment."
Howard finished with 25 points and four rebounds. But the best news of the night was that Mavs coach Rick Carlisle held him to under 30 minutes. Howard did not play down the stretch in the fourth quarter as the Mavs held off the Spurs.
—F Brandon Bass single-handedly kept the Mavericks in Game 1 with a sensational second quarter.
He had 10 points at halftime and made four of his first five shots, much of the time with Dirk Nowitzki on the bench in the second quarter with three fouls. He helped tear down the Spurs' double-digit lead before halftime and set up a huge third-quarter run.
Bass finished seven of nine from the floor for 14 points. With 45 seconds left in the game and the Spurs desperate to rally, Bass backed down Michael Finley and hit a pretty shot, a dagger, for a nine-point lead.
He also grabbed four rebounds and did his damage in less than 19 minutes.
MEDICAL WATCH:
G/F Jerry Stackhouse (right heel) is out indefinitely.
G/F Devean George (right knee) is out for the rest of the season.

SPURS

For all their struggles this season, the Spurs took a four-game winning streak into the playoffs along with a new sense of optimism. It beats the alternative.
"It's been a tough road with the ups and downs, with the injuries, with changing things all season long, but we're here," forward Tim Duncan said. "We're excited about the playoffs. We hope and we know that our experience comes into play."
The Spurs are a postseason staple over the last decade. They own four titles in the Duncan era and reached the Western Conference finals last year. They lost then to the Lakers, who are the prohibitive favorites to head back to the Finals.
The Spurs might have been considered a serious threat to the Lakers if not for the loss of Manu Ginobili. But even without their Argentinean sparkplug, Duncan said don't count out the Spurs.
"We've taken a step back, with the loss of Manu, but I think we're up there," he said. "Obviously, the Lakers proved they're the best in the West this year with their record and how they played this year. We think we're still up there. We think we still have a chance."
MAVERICKS 105, SPURS 97: San Antonio squandered a 13-point second-quarter lead and fell in Game 1 of the first-round series with Dallas on Saturday night. The Spurs were outscored by 12 in second half, surrendering 60 points.
Tim Duncan scored 27 and Tony Parker added 24, but not enough of the supporting cast came through to give San Antonio a much needed boost in the second half. The Spurs bench had only one point after halftime.
Josh Howard scored 25 for Dallas, which snapped a nine-game road losing streak in the playoffs. Dirk Nowitzki scored 19 and three Mavs hit double figures off the bench.
NOTES, QUOTES
—Even though the Mavericks are just the sixth seed, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich believes Dallas was playing as well as just about any team in the league when the regular season ended.
"They really pulled it together," Popovich said. "Besides Cleveland and maybe L.A. (Lakers), they're playing better than anybody."
Dallas and San Antonio split the four-game season series, each winning once on the other's home court. The Mavericks went 7-2 in their last nine games of the regular season.
"When you play against a good team with some confidence, it always makes the task a little harder," Spurs guard Michael Finley said.
—Since he spent the majority of his career in Dallas, Michael Finley can't help but look back with some fondness. Finley was part of the Mavericks' revival, and earned his two All-Star nods with Dallas.
"The eight years I was there was an integral part of my career," he said. "When I look back on it I can't erase that part of my life. The good and the bad I had in Dallas developed me as a player and developed me as a man, so I can never erase that from my memory bank.
"But as a basketball player I'm a Spur now."
QUOTE TO NOTE: "It's going to be a big one now. It's going to be a big game and knowing the character of this team, we'll come back strong." — Tony Parker on Game 2 on Monday night.
ROSTER REPORT

ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Tony Parker, Shooting guard Roger Mason, Small forward Michael Finley, Power forward Tim Duncan, Center Matt Bonner. Bench — Forward Fabricio Oberto, Forward Ime Udoka, Forward Bruce Bowen, Forward Kurt Thomas, Guard George Hill, Guard Jacque Vaughn, Forward Drew Gooden.
PLAYER NOTES:
—G Tony Parker was hounded by Mavs backup point guard J.J. Barea for much of the second half in Saturday's loss to Dallas.
"I thought he was flopping because he's little, but those ones can go both way and it didn't go my way tonight," Parker said. "I'm going to have to adjust in Game 2."
—G Roger Mason did reach the postseason a couple of times with Washington, but he almost feels like a playoff newcomer when he looks around the Sours locker room.
"I'm glad a couple years of playoff experience," said Mason, who just finished his first regular season in San Antonio. "Obviously these guys have gone further in the playoffs. I would say they're playoff veterans."
—F Tim Duncan said his knees feel fine going into the playoffs. The All-Star power forward got plenty of Gregg Popovich-mandated rest down the stretch, even sitting out the front end of a back-to-back in the season's final week.
"You have to give Pop a lot of credit in that respect," Duncan said. "I didn't do a whole lot in that stretch and I was able to get my legs back."
MEDICAL WATCH:
G Manu Ginobili (stress fracture) is out for the rest of the regular season and playoffs. Surgery won't be needed.
C Ian Mahinmi (ankle surgery) is inactive. He had surgery Jan. 30 and was expected to miss six-to-10 weeks.

Good luck BAR, but I doubt this bet has value. I have placed some money on Dallas winning 4 - 2 the series, so naturally I prefer Spurs win here, but a few things worry me about this bet. First of all the line can make the world of difference. I can't remember rivalry with so much close games as Spurs and Dallas rivalry the past few years. I can easily see Spurs winning here by a single basket. Second issue is just as you said, Spurs managed to put a V on all their keys to the game and still lost. I doubt we will see Howard playing the same game, but I'm sure that both Dirk and Kidd will step up today and I just can't see any Spurs big guy match up to Bass's athletism and energy that he brings. Duncan gave a great game and it still wasn't enough. Parker probably won't give two bad nights in a row, but I'm not sure if it will be enough for Spurs to win, not to mention to cover.
Don't see value in today's games to be honest. If Spurs and Boston ML combo would have given at least 1.8 - 2.00 odds, maybe, only maybe I would have played it.

Agreed. I think Pops will come up with a great plan. He is known for making adjustements and deciding games with his decisions. His gameplan in game 1 worked out perfectly as Dirk and Terry both were basically non-factors in the game. It was more Barea an Bass that beat them in the 4th. I have no doubt Pops will have a gameplan for them, impossible for me to see them both having an impact on his game. I think Pops can live with Jo-Ho getting his and even Dirk having big game(this is quite often not enough for the Mavs to win on the road against top teams).
I think Tony Parker will come out firing after Barea made a joke of him. No doubt he'll have a big game. And you can count on Duncan to have his too. I think the big thing is the Mavs(Rick Carlisle) wont/cant make adjustments eventhough they won. They simply cant because Pops owns them on that part and Carlisle will be stupid enough to think the bench will produce the same for him. I went out and got those quotes from the Mavs, they are all intrested in what Pops will do. That tells me they are not making adjustments themself.
Dirk, like the other Mavericks, is waiting on Pop’s Game 2 answer.
"Popovich is obviously one of the greatest at this," he said. "You know what’s he thinking when he sees Barea just walk down the lane to the bucket three or four times in the fourth quarter. We’ll see something new, for sure."
Maybe, but that’s not definite. Regardless of the Game 1 outcome, wouldn’t you still take your chances again tonight on trying to take out Dirk and Jet?
With Terry, the Spurs removed his pick and roll move by immediately flashing a second defender at him. That’s nothing new. But Dirk?
"I hadn’t seen that one before," Nowitzki said of Pop’s defensive scheme, which was designed to take away that middle-of-the floor jumper, except not with the constant double team. Instead, his defender fronted him, playing ball denial.
"Even at the 3-point line, they were fronting me," Nowitzki said. "I got too aggressive there, and picked up a couple of offensive fouls."
Dirk missed the last nine minutes of the first half with three fouls. But even with him on the bench, the Mavs cut what had been a 13-point deficit to only four at intermission.
Bet this:
Tony Parker had a Sunday of listening and reading local and national accounts of how a nobody such as J.J. upstaged him in Game 1. You can definitely throw a few more logs on Tony’s competitive fire for Game 2.
Meanwhile, Pop took his talk show beating for Game 1 because — get this — he has failed to develop a Barea-type player. Again, that’s funny, considering that J.J. certainly had his North Texas detractors for a couple of years. But George Hill, a rookie point guard who was DNP on Saturday night, is the critics’ choice to give Parker a breather … if, of course, Popovich had had him ready for the playoffs.
Provided I was hearing this right, Gooden should also be receiving the minutes given to Matt Bonner, despite Gooden being a journeyman deluxe (six teams in seven seasons).
Of all the Game 1 surprises, including "how" the Mavericks won it, nothing tops the gall of some Spurs fandom wanting to suddenly label Coach Pop as a stubborn old coach.
The Mavericks, of course, weren’t buying any of this foolishness on Sunday. Instead, they eagerly await Pop’s adjustment answers for Game 2.