NBA Monday selections (+writeups)

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Skipped last night due to Easter lunch and hanging out with the family afterwards, resting and chillin'. The mass was nice as well. :) Hope you guys had a good time as well, using the time to think about things in life, and eat some ham of course. :smiley_acbe: :shake:

Monday card time! Love it! Let's get to business.

I know, the Magic cover when they win, but since there's currently a 0.24 difference between the ML and -3,5, I feel more comfortable taking the moneyline.
The reasons were mentioned all over the net by many cappers, the Magic are in the playoff hunt, they have a huge inside advantage with Howard and Milicic, slowly getting Arroyo back to the rotation, while the Bucks are depleted, in a mental knockdown, and 1-9 in last 10 games. Orlando boast horrid h2h numbers in Bradley Center, as this has been a quite home oriented series in recent past, but this is all unimportant now. The Bucks are severely undermanned, trying to end the season and already thinking about their family arrangements and golf courts.

Orlando aren't a top notch road team (far from that), but as I said this is where they step up huge, or they'll put their playoff hopes in danger, since the Pacers are only a game behind. I had this one at 6 units on Magic -3,5, but since the line is changing, and spread odds aren't as attractive as when the line opened, I'll increase the stakes and go with the ML option. If Orlando limit their turnovers and keep playing hard inside they should win this one.

Magic ML (1.62 @ Pinnacle) 8 units

The Warriors have been winning games they should have won, playing the Spurs in San Antonio isn't one of those games. They're still well in the playoff hunt and despite the fact the Clippers have the same number of wins with 2 games in hand, they're still entitled to hope, as the Clippers are no world beaters either.
Golden State are a team that picked up their game somewhere after the All Star break and Utah are completely the opposite, they had a wonderful coupld of months into the season, but since that trip to the East, they're not the same team any more (they're 1-8 ATS in their last 9 road games, and 3-13-1 ATS in their last 17 games overall).
The Warriors aren't a team you can count on to dominate throughout the game, but as much as they like to pack it in after halftime, Utah have been even worse. Leading up to +20 (at home) against the Sonics and losing in the end is beyond anyone's understanding right now. Similar can be said about their affair against Sacramento, they're just not much of a team right now.

The Jazzers will be without Andrei Kirilenko tonight, and he's normally been more of a defensive stopper than anything else this season, meaning they should involve Millsap more, and the game should result in a high scoring affair if you ask me.
Sloan's Jazz are notorious for their defensive side, but they've shown recently that they tend to run against teams that play fast flowing basketball. The proof to that might have been the games against the Sonics (lost 103-106), Sacto (lost 103-107). Before that they met Houston and Portland, both hard nosed, defensive sides, and both games ended in an under.
But prior to that, Wolves, Wizards and Grizzlies, they played high scoring ball (even though the game against Washington ended up under the total).
What's interesting in Utah right now, they've been dominating the boards against most of their opponents, but somehow fail to find an edge and win games using that.
With Warriors' only inside threat being Andris Biedrins, I would expect the Jazz to win the battle on the glass (last game between the teams 44-30 rebounding edge for Utah), however without Kirilenko they should engage into series of outside shots and fast breaks more often than not, so I think this one will exceed the margin.
Warriors, on the other hand, have went over the projected margin in 7 out of last 8 games.
Expecting a 116-107 kind of game here.

OVER 213.5 points (1.95 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
Golden State -5,5 (2.05 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

Can't understand this Laker love all of a sudden. They're one of (if not THE) worst post All Star teams, and they're showing it night and night out. So now they're on b2b, and playing a back end of a back to back at the heights of Denver. I'm not a trend lover (at all), but look at this:
# LAL are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 road games.
# LAL are 6-20-2 ATS in their last 28 games overall.

Is this coincidental? I think not.
Plus, the Lakers will very probably be without Kwame Brown tonight, not to mention how they play for the past few weeks, feed the ball to Kobe, that's it. I expect Phil Jackson to wake this team up just in time for the playoffs, but so far they're nothing but a good fade. Denver should take advantage of Lakers' weary legs and one dimensional game setup and cover this one.

Nuggets (-6,5) (1.95 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

That's it, I probably won't touch anything else tonight when hoops are concerned.

Good luck guys. :cheers: :shake:

Last edited:
Satyr,
same thoughts I have. I love our Spurs but not at 14.5. They will win and they have been covering these big numbers but for some reason, I love riding the jailBlazers as doggies and it has been very kind to me. I probably will stay away though for their is too much uncertainty IMO.

Thanks Pepsiman :shake:

I think the same about the Spurs, they should win of course, but I have no intention laying 14, except in special circumstances when there's statement involved or such stuff. Spurs could win by 25 but it could also be a 10 point win, I don't think they'll break their backs about it.

Good luck tonight. :shake: :cheers:

Agree with alot of what you have to say minus Phil Jackson waking the team up for the playoffs. I don't think he has anybody to wake up. It'll be interesting to see if either of those teams trys to tank it at the end of the season to grab the 7 seed (Phoenix) rather than the 6th (Spurs) seed. GL tonight.

well what I wanted to say is, if these Lakers step up AT ALL this season, it will be ONLY in the playoffs, rather than in one of these remaining regular season games.

But that's only due to Jackson's expertise and experience. Generally, I don't trust the Lakers either, and don't rate them high at the moment.
Good luck tonight JPicks. :shake: :cheers:

I definitley see what you're saying about the Lakeshow. I really hope Kobe slows it down so he can have some energy for the playoffs. I hate the Lakers, but I'd love to see him carry the Lakers to a game 7 against the Suns or your Spurs (sorry) in the 1st round. I'm just not sure he'll have the energy come playoff time.

I don't see the warriors covering on this game.. I know that they are in dire need of winning and having playoff hopes. But the Jazz have dropped 3 SU/ATS.. Fearless forecast is GSW 104-103 final.

Well Cargen I just can't stress enough how much Utah has sucked lately, and frankly I don't think they have the chemistry right now.
I'm fine with a loss there as long as it goes over though, so add 5 to both sides and I'll settle for it :D. ;).

good luck :shake:

Thanks guys. :shake:

@DuY, yep I rarely bet many games, but there are situations when I like the card and just let loose :D

Can't let any opportunities slip, and won't regret if it takes a turn for the worse, I cap games situationally and at this time of year I like a lot of bets, warming up for the real deal :D

the playoffs are traditionally my best period in the NBA

BAR will remember my 100 unit surge in the 2005 playoffs :D yep, with less than 45 bets, I managed to hit a hundred in 2005, also seen off my Spurs win the title :D Can it be better? I doubt it. The strangest thing is, I didn't make the most of my money betting the Spurs, but you better believe I killed the SA-PHX series hahaah

Thanks guys. :shake:

@DuY, yep I rarely bet many games, but there are situations when I like the card and just let loose :D

Can't let any opportunities slip, and won't regret if it takes a turn for the worse, I cap games situationally and at this time of year I like a lot of bets, warming up for the real deal :D

the playoffs are traditionally my best period in the NBA

BAR will remember my 100 unit surge in the 2005 playoffs :D yep, with less than 45 bets, I managed to hit a hundred in 2005, also seen off my Spurs win the title :D Can it be better? I doubt it. The strangest thing is, I didn't make the most of my money betting the Spurs, but you better believe I killed the SA-PHX series hahaah

Tell me abouit it!

Back