NBA ML Dogs 3.13

redbearde

Pretty much a regular
ML dogs: 79-137, 36.57%, +20.07 units
Spreads: 160-154-14, 48.78%, +4.29 units

Spurs -12 (-110) 2 units at the Greek this afternoon
Minny -5 (-110) 2 units at bookmaker just now

For Minny, I have seen -5.5, -6, and -5 right now. I see -12.5 most places now for the Spurs.

For the Timberwolves...

They are not hot. They have lame-ankle Hassell. They've won 1 game of their last 6...covering once in their last 10! What could possibly make this team in absolute disarray look good? Well, nothing...or....as they are now known, the Pacers, who look to me to be in far more disarray.

The Pacers haven't won su OR ats for 9 games. They managed a total of 64 points at the Clippers. Their last win on the road was at MEMPHIS on February 3rd. NOTHING has ended within 4, and the vast majority of these games were DD or absolute shameful blowouts at home against bad road teams. Now they're a few games into not having Jermaine O'neal, and Marquis Daniels should be out for most of his week.

One never knows when Tinsley will decide to show up late to practice again....or he'll just be benched for attitude.

I think this is a pretty good description of this team right now:

What this team is really missing, and this was lost well before the Golden State trade, is a clear head. Teams that win titles and contend are talented, but above all else they are a team. The Indiana Pacers are not a basketball team. They are a group of millionaires who dribble a basketball in a Pacer uniform for a job. They seem more like fifteen individuals, then one team.

Last time these two teams played, the line was -4.5 for the home Pacers, and they lost a low-scoring dogfight 78-71. Swing that, and we should perhaps see -2.5 for Minny at home, but O'Neal is a significant loss, and more importantly in my mind, these punks just cannot win on the road.

of note:

Indiana has the worst field goal percentage in the league with just 43.5.

And while Minnesota doesn't tend to rebound well, with the Pacers recent opposing FG%

Cavs: 48.7%
76ers: 49.3%
Utah: 41% (off night from3)
SacK: 48%
Clips: 44.3%
Suns: 52.6% (without Marion and Diaw)
Suns: 44.1% (with Marion and Diaw)
Sack: 45.6%
Raps: 56.2% (65% from 3pt)

avg: 47.75% - they're trying to make everyone look like the Suns.

rebounding shouldn't be a huge problem...also...why are the PAcers rebounds so high? Cus they miss so damned many shots...

vs Cavs: 40%
vs 76ers: 51.2% (remarkable!)
vs Utah: 37.7%
vs SacK: 48.8%
vs Clips: 35.7%
vs Suns: 38.8% (without Marion & Diaw)
vs Suns: 42.9% (with Marion and Diaw)
vs Sack: 38.2%
vs Raps: 38.6%

avg 41.2%....this is over 2 full pts below their league-worst average

The point of all this is that the Pacers are playing horrendous basketball right now. They're on a profoundly bad streak, and it is my considered belief that this is where the Twolves have a damned good shot at getting a solid win...albeit versus perhaps the worst looking "team-play" we've seen so far this year.

I write all this because I think I need to explain any bet laying significant chalk on the Twolves at irrational length...because on the surface it really looks like an irrational bet that takes on negative line value. But this Pacers team really is that bad. They manage to combine Grizzly road defense...with Grizzly on the road at Chicago offense...and they manage to do it with regularity.

It's atrocious, and I'll fade them (especially on the road) against damned near anyone.

Minny -5 (-110) 2 units.

I will repeat myself.

The Spurs are on a fucking tear right now. All the Western Conference leading teams are fighting like mad dogs for playoff position. The Spurs won't be playing soft at home against a weak team like the Clips, especially with a rare Mavs loss last night coupled with another certain Mavs or Suns loss tomorrow.

Last time out, they played in LA, and the Spurs won by 14 as 6.5 pt faves. I was going to play this up to 13.5, and I got -12, so I'm pretty happy. I fully expect a significant (18-20 pt win) by the Spurs, and there won't be any backdoor cover. They'll win this running away in the 4th...I'm thinking 102-75 sort of game.

Spurs have won and covered the last 4 meetings. Spurs are on a helluva good win streak. Clippers haven't been able to win recently except against the Pacers (hah!) and covered only against the Sonics on a very bad night.

Clips guards will be chasing around Manu and TP all night. By the 3rd quarter, they'll be exhausted. Brand will be hard to stop (it's uncanny how he hits shots sometimes), but if everyone else can be forced into difficult shots (Spurs defensive specialty), then the Spurs should be able to hold these guys below 80.

Guard mistakes should lead to at least 15 fastbreak points for the Spurs, and it'll be demoralizing for the Clips...

Of note:
Clips are 8-20-1 ATS on the road this year.
Spurs are 9-3 ATS in their last 12 games overall.
Spurs are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games as a favorite.

Good reasoning for Spurs, I think.

Spurs -12 (-110) 2 units

or I could be completely wrong.

on the ML dog front, the one game that stands out to me as a strong possibility is the Trailblazers. Portland's younger guys are really coming along, and with Denver's "occasional defense" style, this may be a damned good spot for the blazers to pound em like they're bent over a table...

Boston as a DD dog might be tasty for some...not I, tho...

JR Smith has been upgraded to questionable. I'd love for him to play and shoot up some of those patented rebound opportunities.

jumpy.gif

good luck Redbearde.

So far I'm looking at Utah, Cleveland, Detroit. Just a couple of early leans.

Spurs should get the job done but there's a possibility of a backdoor cover, and the spread is too big for me even though they could easily win by 20+.

good morning redbeard...

portland happens to be my only system play today...haven't even posted it yet

as i did my calculations today....i was getting "no play" after "no play"...portland/denver was the 2nd to the last one i figured...not getting any hits..i started to look at the last 10 game only method...as long as there was season long value even though it was less than 6 points which is the criteria for a value play....

what i found were 4 teams with an edge under the acceptable level to be a play for the season....but tremendous value over the last 10 games...

those teams were, SA, Minn, Utah, Chi....

good luck

satyr:

take a look at the way SA covers 1st halfs.....lately they have won almost every 1st half..and they continued to expand on their lead in the 2nd half....

earlier in the season, they seemed to win the 1st half and lose the 2nd half

Detroit is looking somewhat appealing to me. I don't like the line so much....I think closer to a pick is more appropriate. But the Sonics are first game home off a long road trip...wherein the won at the Knicks off a missed FT, and lost at Boston, at Philly, and at Toronto.

Detroit is 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games
Detroit is 14-4 SU in its last 18 games
Detroit is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games on the road
Detroit is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Seattle

...something for me to consider...

satyr:

take a look at the way SA covers 1st halfs.....lately they have won almost every 1st half..and they continued to expand on their lead in the 2nd half....

earlier in the season, they seemed to win the 1st half and lose the 2nd half

as a huge Spurs fan I've noticed that and rode the trend lucky for me, so kept pounding them 1st H during their 2nd half letdown phenomenon.

But recently they're playing very well, probably the best hoops any team has played this season. And I know they've been covering games, I'm just a bit reluctant to take a spread this huge knowing how many they covered lately :D.

I hope they win it, and cash in for RB, but I won't be betting on them tonight.

:shake:

I just can't bring myself to play the stones with Hunter out...that might sound stupid, but he's a key part of the second squad, and if Billups has an off night, they NEED Lindsey and Rip to step up...rip already has this year...how much more CAN he manage...?

just...can't do it.

I just can't bring myself to play the stones with Hunter out...that might sound stupid, but he's a key part of the second squad, and if Billups has an off night, they NEED Lindsey and Rip to step up...rip already has this year...how much more CAN he manage...?

just...can't do it.

I like the Sonics tonight.

Portland's March FG%:

hosting Warriors: 48.8%
hosting spurs: 50%
At SacK: 42%
hosting Bobcats: 58.3%

Home cookin must be nice...Still, shooting 50% against the Spurs is impressive, and shooting 58% (55% from 3pt range) against anyone is pretty damned good.

Road Games year to date for Portland:

1/6: @ Sac Wsu Wats
1/9: @ Sant Lsu Lats
1/10: @Dal Lsu Lats
1/19: @ Pho Lsu Wats (14.5pt dogs)
1/26: @ Hou Lsu Lats
1/27: @ Mem Wsu Wats
1/29: @ NOK Lsu Lats
2/02: @ Den Lsu Wats (9pt dogs)
2/09: @ Char Wsu Wats
2/11: @ Wash Wsu Wats
2/13: @ Mia Lsu Lats
2/14: @ Orl Lsu Lats
2/21: @ LAL Wsu Wats
2/26: @ Sea Lsu Lats

Here's the trend I see...Losses against defensive slow down teams, and wins against running teams (with the exception of seattle recently).

Clearly, Portland let's the opposition set the pace, and against the Lakers, the Bobcats, the Grizzlies...they run with em and win, even on the road. The Nuggets are a similar sort of team, and while the Blazers look terrible on the road...they're actually 14-16 ats...not great by any means, but it isn't quite Clippers territory, either.

And while I know the blazers are 11-19 SU on the road, I also know the Nuggets are only 16-17 SU at home. This one definitely gives me ome pause, but I like it at least as much as I did the Houston bet last night....

and I will hope like hell JR Smith plays some tonight.

Trailblazers +295 2 units
Trailblazers +7.5 (-106) 2 units

so, anyone think I'm on crack for thinkin 2:1 on the Nets at the Hornets might be worthwhile tonight?

not sure I could go so far as to say I LIKE the sonics, but I'm not all that keen to lay chalk against em...

why you like em so much?

Spurs allowed 49% shooting against the Clippers. 39 of 79....while the Spurs hit 35 of 74. Spurs even out-rebounded the Clippers. I honestly thought it would be more like 34 of 79 for the Clips and 36 of 74 for the Spurs.

Course the Spurs had about a thousand more FTs to shoot...

At least I pushed with that fool bet on the Twolves....LOL...the Pacers didn't hit a bucket in the 4th until 8 minutes had passed. For a while I thought I might actually win that bet. Alas.

The Trailblazers, last I looked, weren't doin so well. Go second half!

Back