NBA Friday picks + writeups

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Coming off an ugly loss last night, let's hope to turn it around today and get back to winning mode.

Warriors (-1,5) (1.98 @ Pinnacle) 7 units

Tailed the Bulls last night with full intention of fading them here, and fading them big. Had they managed to win last night this would probably pump the price even more and create a possible letdown spot even more evident. However I'm still liking the Warriors here.
The new Sacramento team has excelled to a solid bunch in the last few weeks, but with full squad I rate GSW a tad higher than the Bulls' yesterday's opponents, especially at home. Not necessarily when you look at the players individually, but as a team I got the impression of the Warriors as a more cohesive unit in front of their fans, despite being constantly forced to reshuffle the lineup.
Furthermore, I don't see this one as a battle on the glass, but a clash of two small ball line-ups (minus Wallace), and a game decided on the backcourt. Here's why I like it so much:

Bulls' guards are in a permanent funk, and I don't see them bouncing back from the awful FG% until they get home and get Nocioni back to the line-up, this is just wearing them down too much, they are very unlikely to beat anyone on the road shooting 33% or similar, they need a scoring effort tonight and considering these guys are on a tough road trip along the west coast, missing a 15.0 PPG man, having problems inside the paint, plus their leading scorer Ben Gordon is shooting combined 7-of-38 from the field, including 1-11 from the 3 pt range. In his last 5 games Gordon has scored 7,11,33,12,17, meaning his only good performance came against the Blazers.
A typical home team playing against another home team. The Warriors are 17-8 when playing in their building this season, and are 4 wins short of a .500 record.
Baron Davis is back (listed as probable, but he is expected to play) and so is Monta Ellis, who had a tough game against the Wolves but I look for both to step up here. The Warriors have won seven straight at home against the Bulls (28-22), though the teams have split the season series every year since 2001-02.

The Warriors are a different team since the trade, they didn't get the post-trade boost unlike the Pacers, but they're still starting to show character with the new guys in their team. They still lack presence on the low post, their D is still sub par, but the way they've been playing at home they are just fine with their up tempo ball, and playing against road weary Bulls might be a good spot to improve on their already impressive home w/l ratio. New guys like Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington and even Sarunas Jasikevicius (who scored 20 in Minnesota) are stepping up scoring wise and with Davis healthy this could be a long night for the Bulls.
Golden State will host the Hawks on Sunday so this game is crucial to start another winning streak and climb closer to .500.

Heat ML (2.29 @ Pinnacle) 6 units

Miami are a team on a mission. Their goal was to reach .500 again before the All Star break and they can get it done tonight in Cleveland.
O'Neal is healthy again, and has averaged 16.8 points in just over 23 minutes per contest in his last four games. Moreover he has brought back power in the paint, Zo doesn't have to log on for so long any more, and the team, lead by Dwyane Wade (who has scored 20 or more in 16 consecutive games) is just flying at the moment.
Cavs, on the other hand are truly inconsistent right now. Furthermore, LeBron James, who is bothered by a sprained toe, has averaged just 16.8 PPG this month.

Miami beat Cleveland 92-89 last Thursday in the first meeting between the teams. Wade had 41 points, including 24 in the fourth quarter as the Heat came back from a 12-point deficit with less than eight minutes left. I don't see this one as a revenge chance for the Cavs, I don't buy into that anyways. Motivation is always at the same level, I don't see a potential letdown for the Heat here, who have seen Jason Kapono and Udonis Haslem excel into more than just role players. With a couple of treys by Posey, solid night by Antoine Walker, and of course limited number of turnovers, I see Heat going out of this one with a W.

Leans/thoughts and possible other picks coming up later.

:cheers:

Just a small note: I've mentioned Baron Davis' return several times in my GSW preview, but there is a chance he won't play. I forgot to mention: I have already taken that possibility into consideration when making the play. Nelson has two other options to start at PG (Jasikevicius (not his natural position but he dished out 8 assists and scored 20 against Minnesota) and Monta Ellis) and considering the spot the Bulls are in I'll take my chances. High stakes are still the call.

:shake:

http://www.nba.com/fantasy/fantasy_playernews.jsp?type=injury

NBA.com fantasy news say that Ellis is day-to-day, while they have no status for Davis, meaning that he is expected to play. Whereas some other sites don't worry about Ellis, just state that Davis is PROBABLE.

If one of these two play, I'll be fine with it. Likely both will play, because it is more logical to rest them against Atlanta at home on Sunday, after all Davis is probable at worst.

adding:

Toronto - LA Lakers over 204.5 (1.93 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
Toronto (-3,5) (1.94 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

This should be an up tempo game from the early start, and actually I see it finish at around 215 points, with Raptors leading the way and Lakers tailing along. One thing is certain:
TJ Ford's impact to the game is huge, with him and Calderon on the floor the tempo is very fast, in the 4 games Ford is starting the Raptors average 114 points on 55% shooting. Not only that, the duo have dished out 69 assists for 4 overs that were 22 points above bookie margin's average.
The Lakers had a long night at the Palace last night, and Kobe was pretty out of gas, so tonight's game represents a good chance for the Lakers to recover their field goal percentage and re-tune their scoring machines.
I very much like the new Raptors, very European like team that doesn't have any problems controlling the tempo nor battling anyone on the glass, lwith Chris Bosh aboard.
Lakers are b2b, and even though they will likely score a lot more than last night, I still see a fresh(er) home team winning against a road weary one.
Toronto to win in a 115-105 affair.

Friday card looks like this then:

Toronto - LA Lakers over 204.5 (1.93 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
Toronto (-3,5) (1.94 @ Pinnacle) 3 units
Heat ML (2.29 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
Spurs 1H (-3 @ 1.90 (Pinnacle)) with 3 units

thoughts on other games:

Orlando v Spurs

I like my Spurs here, but laying 6.5 isn't nothing. Orlando are in a long-term slump right now, and the Spurs need to keep winning in order to restore good, winning atmosphere and get back to NBA's best records. Spurs win but I'm not touching the game spread, only the 1st half spread.
The Spurs have had the HT lead in Utah, Phoenix and Houston games (all lost), naturally same as last time in Washington where they totally dominated the game in and out. I'm just not willing to lay this many on the road as Spurs have been notorious for allowing these backdoor covers after building up a big lead.
Spurs 1H (-3 @ 1.90 (Pinnacle)) with 3 units

Boston-NJ

Amazingly Paul Pierce might play for 15 mins tonight, even though that probably won't affect the game much, perhaps confidence wise but nothing else, too early for him to make a real impact. The Celtics are missing Tony Allen, Theo Ratliff and now Wally Szczerbiak (ankle) but they still have some youngsters who are willing to step up every night. However, for the last 15 games them stepping up just wasn't enough. Oddly enough they are 8-1 ATS in their last 9 road games, even though their home numbers are far worse (both SU and ATS) they have to break out of the funk sometime and New Jersey are depleted as well (missing Jefferson and Krstić has finally started to affect them), they have to count on too many role players to produce way above their career/season averages and that's always a shot in the dark, especially since they need Carter and Kidd scoring 50 combined at LEAST to have a shot at winning the game.
The odds on Boston are huge and it's either Boston ML or no play for me, I'll probably leave it alone and see how it unfolds.

Phoenix-Atlanta

Leaning towards Atlanta +6,5 halftime bet. The Suns have slowed down a little, plus they are probably missing Steve Nash. The Hawks are battling and a rather enthusiastic bunch, even though I don't see them winning in Arizona a half time cover might be a good call.

Memphis-Minnesota

Leaning on the over but consider it somewhat fishy so I'll leave it alone. Minny scored a bunch on the Warriors but we could be up for a surprise here and see a slower paced game.
No bet.

Philadelphia-Clippers

Well the home team should take this one but again, not touching anything here.

Same goes for Indy-Denver, Charlotte-Portland and game of the day Dallas v Houston, which is a total mystery. I would lean Houston to cover there and the under, but I will leave it alone as well.

Good luck.

:cheers:

I like them all Ratyr .
Enjoy reading your stuff.
Thanks a lots for your writing.

BTW those above probably mean "My Puss.. N Your Cock"

yep Miami shit the fan.

Toronto - LA Lakers over 204.5 (1.93 @ Pinnacle) 6 unitsLOST
Toronto (-3,5) (1.94 @ Pinnacle) 3 units WON
Heat ML (2.29 @ Pinnacle) 6 units LOST
Spurs 1H (-3 @ 1.90 (Pinnacle)) with 3 unitsWON

Warriors can make it a profit day, otherwise I'll end in a 13 unit minus.

Let's see if they pull it off.

the Warriors did it and made my day end in green.

Sorry Bulls' backers, the luck was on Warriors' side this time. :shake:

thanks guys for the props. Lucky ending though.

Believe it or not I feel kinda sorry for the guys who staked their entire bankrolls and the game unfolds like this. I just know the feeling. Oh well. :shake:

Toronto - LA Lakers over 204.5 (1.93 @ Pinnacle) 6 units LOST
Toronto (-3,5) (1.94 @ Pinnacle) 3 units WON
Heat ML (2.29 @ Pinnacle) 6 units LOST
Warriors (-1,5) (1.98 @ Pinnacle) 7 units WON
Spurs 1H (-3 @ 1.90 (Pinnacle)) with 3 units WON

+3,38 units.

Damn you O'Neal and Dwayne Wade. I love you Dwayne. I love watching you shoot those free throws :D
Fuck the TJ Ford and Calderon stat as well. 55% up tempo ball my ass :D.

Anyways, see ya guys tomorrow. :cheers:

Made cash and you deserved it.

thanks BAR, I guess you had one of those monster days, nice hit with the over in Phoenix. One of the guys at the other board (no, not THE other board, a European one) had Atlanta ML @ 8.00 :D. Now that's a hit. 'an_horse'

Cheers man, hope you ended up in solid green tonight. :cheers: :wacka wacka: :smiley_acbe:

Back