Nba draft 84

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
Hope they discuss all the trade offers that were made and some almost accepted. According to Olajuwon, Portland offered Clyde Drexler and that #2 pick to Houston for Ralph Sampson, and the Mavs offered up Chicago born Mark Aguirre to the Bulls for that #3 pick but they declined as the Bulls desperately wanted a big man. In fact, if the coin flip had gone different and Portland had won, It was supposedly known that Houston would have taken Jordan 2nd and the Bulls would have traded the #3 pick to Seattle for Jack Sikma while Seattle was interested in rebuilding with Bowie.

Almost never mentioned is that Portland stole that pick from the Pacers 3 years earlier trading Tom Owens for Indiana's future #1 in 1984. It's quite possible that MJ would have been a Pacer and NBA history forever altered if not for that lousy trade.

I was born in 83 and didn't watch a ton of basketball when I was young so I have a question...

If Jordan was a Pacer... what type of team would they have had around him? Reggie?

Would they have been better then the Bulls were?

I was born in 83 and didn't watch a ton of basketball when I was young so I have a question...

If Jordan was a Pacer... what type of team would they have had around him? Reggie?

Would they have been better then the Bulls were?

It's just impossible to know or really even speculate about that. Miller was drafted 11th overall in 1987, but who knows if Indiana is in that spot if they had Jordan from 84-87. Pippen was taken in that same draft at #5 overall by Seattle (traded to Bulls for Olden Polynice). Pippen was probably better for Jordan than Miller would have been as he had a more complete game.

With as great as Jordan was, you would have to imagine that whomever he was surrounded with would have worked, and that Indiana would have done everything they could to surround him with the right type of players.

It's just impossible to know or really even speculate about that. Miller was drafted 11th overall in 1987, but who knows if Indiana is in that spot if they had Jordan from 84-87. Pippen was taken in that same draft at #5 overall by Seattle (traded to Bulls for Olden Polynice). Pippen was probably better for Jordan than Miller would have been as he had a more complete game.

With as great as Jordan was, you would have to imagine that whomever he was surrounded with would have worked, and that Indiana would have done everything they could to surround him with the right type of players.

Miller most overrated player...did nothing to help his team.. Could shoot and that's it..

I still think pippen was underrated..

He was great.. Could do everything..

Pippen was such a softie though. Bulls never won until the Pistons got a little older and the Bulls got a little meaner.

Cavs are probably going to pull a Sam Bowie this year and take that guy with the bad back and bad knees.

I think that's who I want, but I don't know shit. Seems destined for stardom.

Lebron in his golden years, Kyrie, and Wiggins should make for a solid big three. Probably not enough ball to go around though.

Pacers would have never drafted Miller if they had Jordan.

Lareux pretty on point, hard to say because it sets off a chain reaction of events that alters every teams future but Jordan was Jordan and Titles would have eventually come to Indiana. Jordan would have been part of a young nucleus including Vern Fleming at PG who was selected later in the same draft, and Clark Kellog at SF who was exceptional but would be out of the league after the 86 season due to bad knees, and a decent PF in Herb Williams and at center Steve Stiponovich who was the #2 the previous draft.

Indiana won 22 games in the 84-85 season, how many does a rookie MJ add ?? next closest was 31 so it's quite possible they don't pass anyone in the standings except for a Bulls team that doesn't have MJ but instead Sam Bowie. So if things hold and Indiana has the #3 pick in the 85 draft (instead of the #2 and Wayman Tisdale), who would they have drafted ? Do they get stuck with a stiff center out of Benoit Benjamin, Joe Koncak, and Joe Klein or do they take the best player and choose from Chris Mullin or Detlef Schrempf, or possibly upgrade at PF and take Charles Oakley ?

The Pacers next 3 drafts they got Chuck Person, Rick Smits, and Reggie Miller and it's a guarantee that Indiana would have been better and not in a draft position to grab the first two and having MJ they never select Reggie. It's a strange alternative basketball universe that would have eventually lead to the Pacers winning Titles with Jordan but most likely not being as good as the Bulls were since he would have never played alongside Pippen and Horace Grant and the 3 of them were just a defensive swarm that anchored the first Bulls 3-peat.

Always amazed that it's not mentioned at all that the Pacers likely draft MJ if not for a lousy trade 3 years earlier.

Last edited:
Loved Chuck Person. The Rifleman. Remember when he punted the ball into the crowd, lol.

For some reason, Larry Bird and Chuck Person used to get into it a little bit. Didn't like each other.

Also of note in the 84 draft, Jordan wasn't the most accomplished athlete the Bulls drafted as they selected Carl Lewis in the 10th (yes 10th) round.

Cavs will take Wiggins 100%

Nothing is 100% that's for sure, and it even seems as if the Cavs are leaning towards Embiid right now. By all accounts, he's a stud and is NBA ready right now. Cleveland may end up trading the pick too, there's just so much uncertainty to say anything definitive. Most articles I've seen though have Embiid and Parker going ahead of Wiggins in the draft.

For Cleveland, if they are getting Lebron back home, would seemingly want the 7 footer to go along with the PG and Lebron as opposed to Wiggins, who at 6'8" will probably play PF. If you can have the best player in the world with a PG and a C, it's going to be a pretty formidable team.

This all obviously hinges on Embiid's back, but that should all be sorted out before the draft. If he's 100% healthy in everyone's eyes, it's tough to see him not going #1....but again nothing is set in stone. The thing about Embiid is that he's only been playing basketball since 2011, which is amazing seeing as how he's as good as he is. He's an athletic freak on top of being a 7 footer, and his offensive game and footwork are remarkable for someone who's only been playing for 4+ years.

I don't want a big guy who already has health issues out of the gate. Pass.

I still think pippen was underrated..

He was great.. Could do everything..

He could do everything, for sure. I'm not sure how he's underrated though, he was named in the Top 50 NBA players of all time a few years ago when they came out with that list. He might not get as much credit as he should by some, because of MJ, but anyone who knows basketball and gives opinions give Pippen every bit of credit he deserves.

Didn't Pippen once pout and not enter a game because they called a play for Kukoc or something, am I remembering that correctly? He was soft as a baby's blanket.

Didn't Pippen once pout and not enter a game because they called a play for Kukoc or something, am I remembering that correctly? He was soft as a baby's blanket.

Not just a game, but a damn playoff game. Game 3 1994 2nd round vs the Knicks when Kukoc hit the game winning shot and Pippen was pissed Phil didn't call the play for him. Total punk move but man that was the year Pippen showed how good he was when without Jordan the Bulls lost only 2 more games than the previous season with MJ.

I hear people say he's overrated all the time...

Those people don't know basketball then I guess. One good thing is you can take their opinions on other sports related issues and know the opposite is probably true. :cool:

And people saying he is overrated is still different than what you said that he is underrated. He's in the HOF and was named one of the Top 50 NBA players of all time.

Blah. Wouldn't have won squat if not for standing on the shoulders of Jordan.

Cavs will take Wiggins 100%

I posted this in another thread a couple days back, AW is usually spot on

From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Watching Joel Embiid in workout for league executives in Santa Monica. Impossible to imagine passing on him at No. 1.

Blah. Wouldn't have won squat if not for standing on the shoulders of Jordan.

And wade would have nothing without shaq and now lebron..
kobe would have nothing without shaq and Gasol..
jordan would have nothing without pippen, kuko, grant, Kerr etc etc

horrible argument

Why?

I could name five lowly Cavs I'd rather go to war with than that pig.

Nate Thurmond
Austin Carr
World B Free
Mark Price
Lebron (reluctantly)

All better players than Pippen. And that's just Cavs.

Wiggins will most definitely not be playing PF in the NBA, he's a pure wing if I've ever seen one.

i think it's far from 100% that they take him. He's the least NBA ready of the 3, but still more desirable than Embiid and his health problems IMO

Why?

I could name five lowly Cavs I'd rather go to war with than that pig.

Nate Thurmond
Austin Carr
World B Free
Mark Price
Lebron (reluctantly)

All better players than Pippen. And that's just Cavs.

Every great player needs at least 2 very good players to win a championship..
look at all the champ teams.

the only better all around player on that list is lebron....
carr = Horace grant, price = Kerr both very nice complement players..

I think you are blinded by your hatred of Pippen and your aarp card :)

Tip has been hitting the Labatts Blue extra hard the last 6 months or so. Some wild ass, VK-esque logic coming off of his fingers of late.

Mark Price was one of the best players of his era. Little guy, like twink. And you young ones probably just don't remember Austin Carr, but Pipp was not in his class. And who hates on World B Free?

I got Austin Carr confused with someone else.. Was there another Carr maybe a big for the hawks?
No one is hating but you.
free was a fun shooter to watch.. He would shoot from anywhere on the court at anytime..gave you nothing else

Austin Carr and World B are probably the reasons the Cavs still exist. You're right about Free, pure gunner. Carr was better than Pippen.

I think our arena football team is undefeated this season.

Back