NBA discussion and Tax Due Tuesday 4/15/14

wizardofodd

Resident Newlywed
Clinched division title, top-four seed: Pacers, Heat, Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, Raptors
Clinched home-court advantage, first-round: Pacers, Heat, Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, Raptors, Bulls, Rockets
Current matchups (locked seeds in caps):
Eastern Conference
PACERS (1) vs. HAWKS (8)
HEAT (2) vs. Bobcats (7)
Raptors (3) vs. Wizards (6)
Bulls (4) vs. Nets (5)
Western Conference
SPURS (1) vs. Grizzlies (8)
Thunder (2) vs. Mavericks (7)
Clippers (3) vs. WARRIORS (6)
ROCKETS (4) vs. TRAIL BLAZERS (5)
EASTERN CONFERENCE RUNDOWN

No. 1: Pacers (LOCKED), No. 2 Heat (LOCKED)
With Washington's blowout of the Heat (with LeBron James and Chris Bosh sitting out for rest before the playoffs), the Indiana Pacers clinched the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference. It accomplishes a major goal for the Pacers, who spoke about wanting home court for a possible Eastern Conference Finals against Miami all season.
It comes later than expected after Indiana got off to a fast start. But a swoon starting in early February forced the Pacers to battle Miami for much of March and April for the top seed. After Miami beat the Pacers last Friday to establish control of its own destiny, the Heat lost the next night at Atlanta, handing Indiana the tiebreaker advantage via conference record.
So Indiana plays Atlanta in the first round. If the Pacers advance, it's a probable second-round matchup with the winner of Chicago and Brooklyn (Washington still has a shot at the fifth seed and Chicago still have a shot Wednesday at the 3 seed). Miami is likely to face Charlotte, a tough defensive team which lacks offensive firepower to keep up in a series.
The Pacers seem to have a little momentum coming off their win vs. the Thunder on Sunday. Can they combine that momentum with reaching the 1-seed goal to get back on track in the postseason?
East Nos. 3-5: Raptors, Bulls, and Nets
Raptors and Bulls won, so Toronto's magic number for the 3-seed and a potential matchup with Miami in the second-round is one. A win or Bulls loss Wednesday and Toronto is the 3, Chicago the 4.
The Wizards' win means that if they win on Wednesday and the Nets lose both Tuesday and Wednesday, the Wizards move into the 5-spot and play Chicago. Don't know why they'd do that, but it's possible.
Relevant games Tuesday: Brooklyn faces the Knicks and clinches the No. 5 seed with a win, or a win Wednesday over the Cavs and would play Toronto or Chicago in the first round.
East Nos. 6-7: Wizards, Bobcats
Both won Monday, leaving these scenarios: If the Nets win one of their final two games, and the Washington wins Wednesday, the Wizards get sixth.
If the Nets lose their two final games and the Wizards win Wednesday, the Wizards get fifth, the Nets get sixth, and the Bobcats get seventh.
If Washington loses and the Bobcats win, the Nets get fifth, the Bobcats get sixth via tiebreaker and the Wizards get seventh.
If the Bobcats lose, the Wizards clinch no worse than sixth.
The Bobcats can't finish higher than sixth.
Relevant games Tuesday: If the Wizards want the Bulls in the first round,. they're rooting for the Knicks on Tuesday.
East No. 8 Hawks (LOCKED)
The Hawks finished 2-2 against Indiana and Miami in the regular season.
WESTERN CONFERENCE RUNDOWN
West No. 1 Spurs (LOCKED)
The Spurs win over Phoenix on Friday clinched home-court advantage throughout the playoffs.
West Nos. 2-3: Thunder, Clippers

The Thunder's loss to the Pelicans on Monday made this more interesting. The Clippers still have a very real shot at the 2-seed.
If OKC loses Wednesday, the Clippers can clinch the two-seed by going 2-0.
If OKC wins Wednesday vs. Detroit, or if the Clippers lose to either Denver or the Blazers, the Thunder clinch the No. 2 seed.
Relevant games Tuesday: The Clippers play Denver, which has been in spoiler mode for a few weeks. They've thrown good games at Golden State and other teams. The Clippers need this to keep their hopes of the 2-seed alive.
West No. 4 Rockets (LOCKED), No. 5 Trail Blazers (LOCKED)
The Rockets clinched the No. 4 seed with their win vs. San Antonio, which rested some regulars, on Monday. They have home court in the first round. Game 1 is at Houston this weekend.
West No. 6 Warriors (LOCKED)
The Warriors win vs. Minnesota on Monday clinched the sixth spot. They're locked there and will play either the Clippers or Oklahoma City on the road in Game 1.
West Nos. 7-8 Mavericks, Grizzlies
Memphis beat the Suns on Monday, eliminating Phoenix.
The Grizzlies are tied with Dallas at 49-32 and play the Mavs on Wednesday. After Golden State's win, Dallas and Memphis decide Nos. 7-8 on Wednesday.
The winner faces Oklahoma City or the Clippers, with the loser getting the top-seeded Spurs.
Relevant games Tuesday: None.

Knicks ML has a ton of value. I think Nets might bench 6 or 7 guys! Their best role players are all out. I think Dwill, Pierce, and Johnson will be too.

What do the Nets want? Toronto in the 1st round and Miami in the 2nd I would say. Therefore, they lose tonight. Jason Kidd would tank more so than anyone. It's in his DNA.

Knicks ML has a ton of value. I think Nets might bench 6 or 7 guys! Their best role players are all out. I think Dwill, Pierce, and Johnson will be too.

What do the Nets want? Toronto in the 1st round and Miami in the 2nd I would say. Therefore, they lose tonight. Jason Kidd would tank more so than anyone. It's in his DNA.

why would wizards want to move in to play Chicago first? They can tank tomorrow as well. So if Nets lose tonight, Wiz can tank tomorrow night. Knicks...well, ML would be the best value, but dont know how you can bet this game.

Every Knicks/nets game has been a blowout this season. I don't think the nets care who they play in the first round. The raptors and bulls both pose threats. They just want to continue getting better in critical game situations. And possibly avenge the big loss to the Knicks earlier this month. Melo is out btw

[TABLE="class: linesTbl"]
<tbody>[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 6"]NBA Basketball Basketball - Tue 4/15
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Game[/TD]
[TD]Handicap[/TD]
[TD]Money Line[/TD]
[TD]Total Points[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate"]Tue 4/15[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold"]701[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam"]New York Knicks[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread"]+6 -113[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine"]+201[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals"]Over 192 -103[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD]05:00 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold"]702[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam"]Brooklyn Nets[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread"]-6 +102[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine"]-225[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals"]Under 192 -107[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate"]Tue 4/15[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold"]703[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam"]Denver Nuggets[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread"]+9.5 -105[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine"]+404[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals"]Over 219.5 -101[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD]07:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold"]704[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam"]Los Angeles Clippers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread"]-9.5 -105[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine"]-475[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals"]Under 219.5 -109[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

NBA information

Hot teams
-- Knicks won five of their last seven games. Brooklyn won seven of its last ten games.
-- Denver won its last three games, all by 7 or less points- they're 6-1 vs spread in last seven games. Clippers won six of their last eight.

Cold Teams
-- None.
Series records
-- Knicks won ten of last fourteen games with Brooklyn.
-- Clippers lost four of last five games with Denver.
Totals
--
Eight of last eleven Knick-Net games stayed under.
-- Nine of last thirteen Nugget-Clipper games stayed under.

Kind of hard to argue against the under with all the possible players out (Anthony, Stoudemire, Williams, Johnson, Pierce, Teletovic).

this is for wednesday and I don't watch the NBA/am 0-1 this season in a loss by 1 point cuz Klay Thompson thought it'd be a better idea to have Iguodala at the line to clank two, but Memphis seems like a team to look at?

I know the crowd in Memphis is good and I'd assume they want to avoid SA like the plague, any thoughts on why I should save my money on the sidelines? Dallas has the scoring in Dirk/Monta and a great coach, just seems like the desire is even then you throw the HCA and it may be worth it to take a stab at the Grizz

this is for wednesday and I don't watch the NBA/am 0-1 this season in a loss by 1 point cuz Klay Thompson thought it'd be a better idea to have Iguodala at the line to clank two, but Memphis seems like a team to look at?

I know the crowd in Memphis is good and I'd assume they want to avoid SA like the plague, any thoughts on why I should save my money on the sidelines? Dallas has the scoring in Dirk/Monta and a great coach, just seems like the desire is even then you throw the HCA and it may be worth it to take a stab at the Grizz

wouldnt surprise me to see them sit Gasol, conley and prince is already out though he might be back for a few minutes. - would keep an eye on injury report,,,
They have had a busy schedule the last 6 weeks, this team needs a rest...

wouldnt surprise me to see them sit Gasol, conley and prince is already out though he might be back for a few minutes. - would keep an eye on injury report,,,
They have had a busy schedule the last 6 weeks, this team needs a rest...

i appreciate that, would think avoiding SA is more important than rest but I will defer to you as you clearly watch more than I do (anything compared to none) and Miami sitting everyone last night made absolutely no sense to me while they still had a chance at the 1 (albeit unlikely due to IND's remaining schedule)

The -4 I saw BOL open with is probably too high for me, but the fall to 3.5 makes me think you're right about the sitting idea

I think Mavs would want to avoid SAS the most. Good history vs OKC. Grizzlies will get beat good by both teams.

i appreciate that, would think avoiding SA is more important than rest but I will defer to you as you clearly watch more than I do (anything compared to none) and Miami sitting everyone last night made absolutely no sense to me while they still had a chance at the 1 (albeit unlikely due to IND's remaining schedule)

The -4 I saw BOL open with is probably too high for me, but the fall to 3.5 makes me think you're right about the sitting idea

so the playoffs start on the 19th (saturday) doesn't say who yet. Thought it started sooner (if they play S.A. it will probably be Sunday)
So either way they get some rest and will either play at S.A., okc, clippers. -
You might be right about avoiding S.A. just keep an eye at that report until game time..

I think Mavs would want to avoid SAS the most. Good history vs OKC. Grizzlies will get beat good by both teams.

right so they're definitely fighting for this one and would make taking the points make sense if MEM is indeed sitting important pieces

Can't see Memphis sitting anyone for this game. Loser of tomorrow's Dallas/Memphis game will play exactly four playoff games.

Carmelo Anthony (shoulder) has torn labrum

929.jpg

Carmelo Anthony has been diagnosed with a torn labrum in his right shoulder, but he will not require surgery.

Melo will be re-evaluated in one month and it's very interesting that an MRI revealed the tear only after he'd played in a number of games to help the Knicks' slim chances of making the playoffs. While his toughness is commendable, the Knicks' medical staff and management has some questions to answer about letting their star risk aggravating a serious injury. Carmelo is expected to enter free agency via his early-termination option, and once the playoffs end he'll be the focus of this summer's FA frenzy.

:rofl:

[h=2]KNICKS AT NETS, 8:00 P.M. ET[/h] April 15, 2014 · 7:13PM
TV: TNT

• Shaun Livingston (sore abdominal) and Alan Anderson (sprained right big toe) will not play for the Nets. Mirza Teletovic, whose wife recently gave birth to twins, will not be with the team tonight or tomorrow in Cleveland.
  • Due to lineup permutations, Andrei Kirilenko will start for the third straight game. Despite going to a bigger lineup, Nets coach Jason Kidd said, “We don’t want to change the way we play.”
  • Carmelo Anthony, who had an MRI on the torn labrum in his right shoulder, will not play for the Knicks. Amar’e Stoudemire will play despite whispers to the contrary.
  • Injured Nets center Brook Lopez, still in a walking boot, did some very light shooting on the court before the game.

Looks like Jason Kidd pulled a Belichick...

<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 0px; border: medium none; position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tonight's starters: <a href="https://twitter.com/DeronWilliams">@DeronWilliams</a> , <a href="https://twitter.com/TheJoeJohnson7">@TheJoeJohnson7</a>, Kirilenko, <a href="https://twitter.com/paulpierce34">@paulpierce34</a> , Garnett. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nets&amp;src=hash">#Nets</a></p>&mdash; Brooklyn Nets (@BrooklynNets) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrooklynNets/statuses/456202340379672576">April 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

^
probably rest them tomorrow .. They play at cleve..pierce and Garnett probably won't even travel

<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 0px; border: medium none; position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Doc says all starters will play tonight but JJ Redick will rest tomorrow.</p>&mdash; Los Angeles Clippers (@LAClippers) <a href="https://twitter.com/LAClippers/statuses/456233708811341825">April 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Nets gonna chump the Heat for wanting the 2-seed and drop down to the 6, so they possibly hook-up in the 2nd round.

The Knicks just want this game more. More to play for I guess with jobs on the line for next season. They're playing the best I've seen in a long time

Back