NBA cappers.....question on a game...

Hawaiiguy

Big Kahuna
Dallas at Toronto.....

TJ Ford obviously out, doesnt he make that whole team go?

Toronto takes a 6 hour flight to Atlanta back and forth.....with return trip Ford probably weighing on their minds......

Meanwhile, Dallas has been sitting up there for two days after just crossing the lake two days ago from NY.......

Dallas -5? Anything else missing here?

Toronto has a remarkable ability to absorb injuries and keep playing. And while Ford may weigh heavy on their hearts, it's also a motivation for them to do well.

As for Dallas...well, GL with that.

at the least don't be thinking this is one of those auto-wins. -5 isn't a gift on the road in the NBA.

Calderon does a very good job replacing Ford and probably would start on all but 7 or 8 teams in the league.

The scheduling is completely brutal and a fuck job by the NBA.

I know Killa and I talked about his one and he's a big fan of the Mavs. I'm not so much as laying 5 points in the NBA on the road with a team that is clearly just playing out the schedule waiting for the playoffs is deadly. Look at the Knicks game. They never put them away and if they do that crap with TOR they'll lose SU. Their defense is atrosciuos. So bad that I'm not sure they find it in time for the playoffs unless they change their mentaility soon.

totally agree with JPicks.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...mavs/stories/121207dnspomavslede.240065c.html

Extra rest for Dallas Mavericks' starters hinges on reserves

Johnson still fuming over defensive ineffectiveness by Bass, Diop

01:04 AM CST on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

TORONTO – The double-edged sword is swinging again.

Avery Johnson wishes he could put it back in the sheath, but right now, he can't. So he will continue using a short playing rotation because of injuries and ineffective play, while possibly compromising the future to make December flow more smoothly.

Johnson made it clear after Tuesday's practice at Air Canada Centre that he's unwilling to give Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse and his dual point guards extra rest if it means sacrificing games because the support personnel either can't or won't play at a high enough level.

"It's hard, but now is not the time," Johnson said. "Until we can get Eddie Jones and [Devean] George back, and until I can get Brandon Bass and [DeSagana] Diop to defend the paint better, I'm not going to get rest for anybody.

"We had a 20-point lead and they [Bass and Diop] allowed 10 or 12 points in the paint in a three-minute stretch. So until we can get them to defend the paint better when they get in the game – and rebound and bring energy, which they are supposed to do – until we can get them to do that, until we can get some consistency, we're going to have to keep those guys with a short rotation."

By Johnson's count, the Mavericks are two or three wins below what they expected.

What sets him off – and he was still boiling about it nearly 24 hours later – are games like Monday's in New York, when the Mavericks were up by 23 points in the third quarter but had to keep their key players on the court far too long because reserves coughed up a big chunk of the lead.

Diop and Bass were on the floor at the end of the third quarter when the Knicks scored 10 points in the final 2:33 to knock the Mavericks' lead down to 79-63. All of the points came on layups or free throws.

"They got to understand their responsibility to the team," Johnson said of Bass and Diop. "They let the whole team down. You can't do that. I can't run a drill for you to protect the paint. That's willpower. That's toughness, mentally and physically."

Any plan to give Nowitzki, Howard and Stackhouse the fourth quarter off evaporated. A lead of more than 20 points is virtually a certain victory. But from 16 points down, many an NBA team has come back in the fourth quarter. Howard played 42 minutes, Nowitzki 39 and Stackhouse 31. If that workload persists, it will catch up with those players.

Johnson may get some help back tonight. Jones has been upgraded to day-to-day and could see his first action in a month. George is slowly rounding into shape.

But it's the lack of success of Diop and Bass that must improve if the Mavericks are to get back to their preferred regular-season rotation of going 10 players deep.

Until that happens, the Mavericks could run the risk of repeating last year's gaffe, in which they overextended players in the season and had nothing left in the playoffs.

Bass and Diop both said they have gotten the message and are clear on their primary responsibility.

"No easy catches, that's the main thing," Bass said. "Last night, Eddy Curry and Doug Lee got some catches, and he doesn't want it to be so easy. He doesn't want me and Gana to let anybody score in the paint."

Added Diop: "Third quarter, we didn't do a good job, me and Bass. We made a lot of mistakes, and they made a run on us."
1212mavs.jpg
AP
Avery Johnson was upset with the interior defense of Brandon Bass (left) and DeSagana Diop (not pictured) vs. the Knicks.

Johnson rarely calls out players publicly. When he does, it's a clear sign the situation has reached a serious point.

"You can't take it personally," Bass said. "He's trying to better the team."
Stackhouse has watched Johnson try to juggle minutes and rest for the last two seasons and understands why it's so tough.

"It's a balancing act," he said. "You want to be on the court playing, but ultimately, we need to build our depth with some guys getting some quality minutes on the floor.

"It was a perfect opportunity last night. But you know how it is. In close games, Avery's going to go with the guys he trusts."

red, jpicks - good shit, forgot about calderon....

red, i really like that news article....the little guy sounds mad....

nothing big, but gonna lay the number....TJ Ford has been stellar, and although red i know you posted the article to point out dallas' defensive woes, i like the tone of it......sounds like a good practice and some renewed intensity off that NY game.....

thanks guys

That's Brandon Bass talking. he plays for Dallas. Wonder if he said Doug or what...?

that's funny.

I remember having a conversation about this last year when I think it was ray allen who was out, but it seems that NBA teams have easy time adjusting to one of the their star players being out, the game after that guy is hurt and then after that it seems like a good time to fade them....I know last night a good example was the trailB's without aldridge.....something to think about...I'm laying off.
GL

I think AJ has begun to becoming his snarling self again from last season re: preaching defense. He was at it before the Knicks game and the team responded, could be a defining road trip for the team.

You don't forget how to play defense, it's an attitude thing and I think that's what he is trying to impress on his players in this road trip.

You don't forget how to play defense, it's an attitude thing and I think that's what he is trying to impress on his players in this road trip.

Couldn't agree more. I know I always here Jerry Sloan saying it's 80% effort 20% ability on the defensive end.

Short answer: no.

Long answer look at these articles from previous times of the season:

Dec. 10th Before the Knicks game. They go out and play great D against an inept Knicks offense for one half and then give up 53 in the 2nd half which leads us to today's article that was already posted above.

Dec. 6th Gave up 122 to Denver at home and Avery wasn't pleased. Those comments are post game after the 122. Day off and the next game they give up 117 to Utah also at home.

Nov. 28th

DALLAS -- The subject was defense -- precisely, the 102.2-point average the Mavericks allowed in the past five games.
Coach Avery Johnson quickly made it a lesson in defensive communication -- specifically, the lack of it on the court.
During their current three-game losing streak to Indiana, Milwaukee and Washington, the Mavs have surrendered 44.7 points per game in the paint and the Bucks and Wizards each shot better than 50 percent.
Entering Tuesday, the 102.2 points a game ranked in the bottom seven in the league over each team's past five games.
For a defensive loyalist such as Johnson, who has said the Mavs' ideal game is to keep opponents in the high 80s, that's a harbinger of trouble.
"Penetration and pick-and-roll defense, there's a couple of miscues there," Johnson said. "Again, until we learn how to communicate... Boy, when we're in the locker room, they have a lot of fun; when they're on the bus, they have a lot of fun; when they're out here for pregame, they love each other and have a lot of fun; but, when we're on the court, we're too quiet.
"I'm trying to figure out a way to transfer that type of energy on the court."
Johnson wants his defenders to be more vocal with each other, whether calling out screens or matchup switches or changes in alignment.

So you the Mavs have been talking about playing better defense all year. I really don't see why the article posted today should mean anymore than the previous complaints by Avery. Until the Mavs post B2B solid defensive efforts nobody should assume they're going to play great D IMO.

And again I'm not saying I like the Raptors here. It's just that I don't feel comfortable laying points with a team that doesn't play D on the road. Very similar to the reasons I won't lay points with the Jazz on the road.

TJ has been asbsent for multiple periods of time already in his young career with the Raptors. The Raptors know how to play without him. Calderone has an excellent repoire with the guys. A young team might be a good fade in this spot, but the Raps are different. After the injury, Calderone huddled up the teammates to say a prayer. Nobody got emotionally carried away except Mitchell.

5 points is alot of road chalk, especially for this schizophrenic Mavs team.

Definitely early but it looks like everyone's input was spot on......

Dallas can't play defense and Toronto can play great with calderon....

Will lose a couple of units as opposed to quite a bit.....:whip:

Back