Navy vs. Army Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Navy vs. Army NCAAF Week 15 Betting Picks and Game Predictions

Navy Midshipmen vs. Army Black Knights
Saturday, December 12, 2020 at 3 p.m. ET (CBS) at Michie Stadium in West Point, New York

For the first time since World War II, the Army-Navy game will be played at an academy service’s location.

The reasoning is COVID-related: attendance regulations in the state of this game’s conventional location, which is Pennsylvania, would have kept Brigade of Midshipmen and Corps of Cadets from attending the contest.

Navy’s Quarterback Situation: Last Year

In Navy’s triple option attack, the quarterback plays an important role.

Before the snap, Navy’s quarterback has to understand the defense’s formation and call any necessary audibles. After the snap, he has to read defenders and decide whether to keep the ball or hand it off.

Last year, Malcolm Perry was clearly the guy at quarterback. The Navy star enjoyed a historically strong year, producing more rushing yards than any other quarterback in NCAA history.

While Perry ran for over 2,000 yards, he also passed for more yards than a Midshipmen quarterback had done since 2016.

For the above reasons, the Midshipmen owned the nation’s 11th-highest scoring offense as measured by points per game.

Navy’s Quarterback Situation: This year

Perry has left Navy and decided to transition to the NFL where he is listed as a running back for the Miami Dolphins.

It’s true that the Midshipmen are passing for more yards this year. But this uptick in yardage is merely a product of the circumstance that Navy is falling behind in games more often and more drastically.

This year, Navy ranks 118th in scoring offense while averaging 18.4 points per game. So its offense ranks 107 spots below last year’s version in points per game as this year's offense scores 18.1 fewer points per game.

Losing Perry is key not only because of the unique productivity that he displayed, but because Navy cannot find anyone who it is satisfied with to occupy the position.

Tyger Goslin and Dalen Morris had seen the most action at quarterback. Morris is an ok passer, but is not a threat running the ball. He’s averaging .7 YPC.

Goslin does both — run and pass. But he is extremely inefficient when doing both. He completes 42 percent of his passes while averaging fewer than two YPC.

Navy wanted to give first-year player Xavier Arline a try at quarterback last week. Strictly a running option, he failed to help the Midshipmen exceed six points.

In the past two weeks, the Midshipmen have scored a combined total of 13 points. Six came against Tulsa’s high-ranked defense. Only seven came against a Memphis defense that ranks 82nd in allowing 32 points per game.

For comparison’s sake, Army ranks 20th nationally in conceding 18.7 points per game.

At 7-2, this is not an Army squad that resembles in quality the AAC bottom-feeders which Navy has beaten for its only three wins of the season.

Army Defense vs. Triple Option

Army’s defense — it’s whole team really — benefitted from playing Georgia Southern last week. Like Navy, Georgia Southern runs a triple-option offense.

Georgia Southern posed stronger challenges than Navy will. For starters, Georgia Southern trotted out a veteran, proven quarterback, a guy who has spent four years establishing himself for Georgia Southern.

The Black Knights displayed tremendous grit, coming back from a 21-7 deficit that they created due to fixable turnovers to beat a Georgia Southern bowl team.

These turnovers are avoidable. Plus, Navy arguably has less to offer in terms of the speed and skill of its players.

Two Black Knight defenders help make their defense solid. They will also be decisive against Navy’s option attack.

One defender is Nolan Cockrill. Cockrill is the nose tackle that a defensive line wants when defending the triple option.

Linebacker Jon Rhattigan is another key defender. He is one of 18 semifinalists for the Bednarik Award, which is given annually to the nation’s top defensive player.

Rhattigan and Cockrill both display a necessary blend of athleticism and physicality. Cockrill has been praised by PFF’s grading for the degree to which he wins battles at the line of scrimmage. Rhattigan has received even more praise due to his development.

Army Offense vs. Navy Defense

Like Navy, Army possesses a bruiser who it can rely on in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

For Army, this man is Sandon McCoy who has accumulated 10 rushing touchdowns this season. Like fellow ball-carrier Jakobi Buchanan, he will ably use his advanced physicality to drive defenders forward.

With two bruisers, Army will sustain drives and thrive near the end-zone against a Midshipmen defense that lacks the proven experience at the nose tackle position that Army’s defense enjoys.

In addition to winning in the trenches, the Black Knights benefit from able quarterback play. Army has quarterbacks who it can rely on to run the offense and to run efficiently with drastically greater YPC averages than Navy’s quarterbacks.

The Verdict

The total always appears low for this contest because this game always stays ‘under.’ The under hasn’t been in danger since 2010, when both teams were within a touchdown of bringing the game over.

So let’s expect the typical under. We should also expect Army to cover with its competent and more reliable quarterback play and with the edge that its front seven enjoys thanks to key players at nose tackle and linebacker, respectively.

Best Bet: Black Knights -7 at -108 with Heritage & Under 38 at -119 with Bookmaker

I think another thing that has hindered navy’s offense is the last few years with Perry running the show they kinda got away from running their traditional triple option, they often just lined him up in shotgun and let him decide where to go with the ball. He was truly a one man show who was incredibly difficult to stop. Now that they don’t have him they left to going back to the more traditional attack but they not running it with the same precision prob cause they hadn’t ran it as much recently. Repetition breeds excellence in the option.

only problem with this game is normally dog/under is the way to go. Unfortunately I like the fav and while I lean under this 38 total represents the highest but also most common number they have landed on the last 6ish years! (Believe they have combined for 38 in 3 of the last 6?). I don’t do this often but a army/under tease seems very appealing. Navy/under tease will probably take the cash also!! Lol

Navy didn't have Perry at QB in 2018. If you remember they experimented that season with trying to utilize him at other positions including slot back and receiver. He did not QB the '18 Army-Navy game. Navy lost 10-17. They corrected that failed experiment and put him back at QB last year. I don't ever remember Perry not running option for Navy instead lined up in shotgun, but I don't think I saw everything. I think they usually had him crotched under center still heavily utilizing the fullback dives they love.

Doesn't matter now, Perry is gone and Navy hasn't been able to get the edge option to work. The fullback game is still there, but both need to compliment each other. And then the all important play action pass at exactly the right time. Be it Air Force, Army or Navy, it's one big play surprise pass per game that can change momentum or kill the spirit of the defense. Except for the passing in the second half vs Tulane, they haven't had that in a meaningful way (Tulane seemed totally ignorant to the fact that they put in Morris and and Morris can indeed pass it ok and he hit open receiver after open receiver that Tulane failed to cover).

Arline actually got his first start vs Tulane as a true frosh! It didn't go well. So they thought with more time at practice he would be better off last week starting again. It went better than it did vs Tulane, but not good enough. Maybe starting his second game in a row now after watching the tape they can make him better? Hard to say. Doubtful probably.

Army is going to be starting a pretty inexperienced QB too in Tyler. Tyler was scout team QB to start the season then after injuries hit the unit, he alternated vs UTSA and vs Mercer then they gave him the start vs Georgia Southern. He fumbled 3x in the 1st H! He is fast. Says something that out of all these QBs Army has around, they land on Tyler and stick with him through the fumbles. Clearly they see something in his ability.

If it ends up being Arline vs Tyler that is a pretty interesting angle. Tyler has the benefit of running the scout team and prep team the past couple years. Arline was in high school last year!

I really hate the QB situation Navy has this year. They don't need Perry. Although he was great athlete and fast! Navy just need somebody who can be ok at a little bit of everything they need. Like VC says, nobody right now is that guy. They seem to think Arline will eventually be that guy. Probably throwing him into the fire too soon.

Army is better. But Navy D is really good and will especially be good vs an Army offense. Both defenses will be good. The under is warranted, might not be for everyone, but everything points to it. I wish they were playing at neutral and I'd feel better laying it with Army on a shorter line. Navy is going to try some things I bet. No way they can just assume banging their head against the wall in their biggest game of the year is going to be good enough. They've seen it too many times this year. I think they institute some different things tomorrow. Will they work? I'd rather have Army but I can't count Navy out either.

Back