Navy @ Rutgers - Game notes?

Goopster24

Pretty much a regular
Let's talk about these two teams. I would like to bet on a side in this game and I am leaning towards Rutgers @ home. They beat Navy 34-0 last year but the QB of the Midshipmen was the backup then and came in after the starter got hurt. Now he has a year under his belt and he is prepared. Rutgers I feel has a solid defense and is patient enough for the option attack. Any homers of these teams? Thanks in advance for the info, let's make some money!

Navy defense didn't look real good and the offense is not the offense of the past 3-4 years under Johnson. Still effective running the option, but on the road, this could get ugly for the middies.

Haven't decided totally yet where to go, but leaning on Scarlet just like you

I think I was seeing -16. That doesn't seem too hard for this Rutgers team. I also don't know how much better or worse this Rutgers team is from last year. They were solid last year. Any insights so far this year on them, especially their defense?

OVER's are a hard play with Navy vs legit teams because of they're offense. When they're outmanned they tend to use ball control, especially if they can't score. They run that play clock down and just run, run, run.

I didn't see a lot of Rutgers last week, but they're not as good as LY IMO, BUT they're offense I think is better. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't think 16 is terrible, but remember Paul Johnson is a great game planner and could expose Rutgers, but I still would lean towards Rutgers winning by high DD's

Here are some tidbits found on ESPN:

Rutgers
• People used to make fun of the Big East for playing so often on weeknights, as No. 15 Rutgers does Friday against visiting Navy (ESPN, 7 p.m. ET). As it turns out, weeknight games have become a badge of honor, rather than a source of shame. They have raised the Big East's profile and are excellent recruiting tools because they give programs a national spotlight. Two of the conference's best games were on weeknights last season. Louisville's 44-34 victory over West Virginia and Rutgers' wildly entertaining 28-25 victory over Louisville the following week drew a combined total of 9.5 million households on ESPN. Rutgers coach Greg Schiano isn't a huge fan of Friday night games, because it cuts into New Jersey's high school football night, but he isn't about to gripe. "We all know TV and college football are big business," he said. "You gotta do what you gotta do."
• Junior receiver Tiquan Underwood is the latest lethal weapon to emerge in Piscataway. He was named Big East offensive player of the week after catching 10 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns. His yardage total was the second-highest in Big East history (Virginia Tech's Ernest Wilford had 279 against Syracuse in 2002). • Rutgers has won eight consecutive home games, tied for the sixth-longest streak in the country, and the school's longest streak since a 20-gamer in the mid-1970s. … Junior tailback Ray Rice needs 17 yards to become the school's all-time leading rusher, breaking Terrell Willis' mark of 3,114. … Schiano on Navy, which played a competitive game against Rutgers last season and brings its troublesome triple-option offense: "I need this game like I need a hole in the head."

Bruce Feldman's take:

Friday, Sept. 7
Rutgers 34, Navy 13: The Scarlet Knights' improved passing game is poised for the Friday night stage. Expect the usual workmanlike effort from RB Ray Rice to set it up. The aggressive Rutgers defense will get some problems early, since Navy forces teams to be so disciplined, but ultimately the fast Rutgers D-line takes over.

No lean on the side right now but from what I saw from the Navy's offense and defense last week, how can you not go with Rutger. Better QB, running back, and of course better defense. As for the o/u, it's a tough call to go over when you know ahead that one of the team will try to run the ball around 70% of the time. If Rutger gets a DD lead, they might ease off. My guess is either under or no play at all.

GL guys!!!

I am not touching the total in this game.

The Navy defense returns 3 starters from last year's team. That really makes it look like the Rutgers offense will explode once again, especially on a Friday night ESPN game.

I think as long as Teel doesn't try to pull of a Canfield impression tonight, the Scarlet Knights should be just fine to cover up to 20...thoughts??

I am really ready to pull the trigger on the Rutgers side but I would like some more insight on either team, especially Navy.

Paul Johnson is a great planner, but there is a disparity in talent on the field tonight. Navy will not get to use their running game as they please because Rutgers will jump ahead early, then use Ray Rice to control the clock. Navy will be forced to pass the ball when their forte is running the ball. Also, with teams like Louisville showing poorly, Texas with a tough match-up, and Va Tech losing this weekend (I'm calling it), Rutgers knows that to climb higher than #15, they need a dominant performance.

I'm on Rutgers -15.5 and -16 (1 unit each).

GL bud

For Rutgers, Navy game is a chance to impress

by Tom Luicci Friday September 07, 2007, 5:00 AM

With all of the criticism directed at Rutgers' non-conference schedule this year, it will be interesting to see if the Knights can take advantage of the opportunity they have tonight against Navy.
Simply put, this is an early statement game for Greg Schiano's gang.
Anyone who watched the Big East go 2-for-2 last night to improve to 9-1 overall as a conference -- although Louisville and Cincinnati could not have had more contrasting defensive performances -- knows what a solid showing by Rutgers would mean to a nation of viewers.

Bill Curry, the color analyst on ESPN2 for the Louisville's 58-42 shootout victory over Middle Tennessee, called Navy "a dangerous game" for Rutgers during a promo for it.
Doug Flutie, manning the ESPN booth for Cincinnati's surprisingly-easy 34-3 romp over Oregon State, talked about how Navy almost upset Boston College, his alma mater, in last year's Meineke Car Care Bowl, and how pesky Paul Johnson's teams are. The Midshipmen were 25-24 losers to BC last year in the Meineke Bowl a 37-yard field goal as time expired.
Rutgers won't get much credit for manhandling Buffalo in its opener. And forget about next week, when 1-AA Norfolk State visits. That's why the Navy game is so important perceptually.
College football fans across the nation will be watching. They also rightfully have the utmost respect for Navy -- with many "experts" predicting this is the year the Midshipmen end Notre Dame's stranglehold over them with a victory over the Irish.
That's why Rutgers needs another strong showing, because if the Knights sweep their non-conference schedule as expected, it's going to be hard to deny them their due if they wind up winning the Big East. Suddenly, it's a league with five good teams -- which is as many as the Big Ten, the Pac-10 and the Big 12 and more than the ACC (but not quite as many as the SEC).
West Virginia, Louisville and Rutgers are already in the top 15. South Florida can state its case for the top 25 with an upset at Auburn tomororw. And now Cincinnati is suddenly 2-0, dispatching an Oregon State squad that was termed by many as the Pac-10's sleeper team. The Beavers now know how Rutgers felt during its visit to Nippert Stadium last year.
Louisville, soft defensively, certainly didn't look like the nation's No. 8-ranked team against Middle Tennessee but Cincinnati, at least defensively, is better than most thought after a sneaky-good 8-5 season a year ago. Those are Rutgers worries for another day. Tonight the Knights' concern is Navy and making a statement to still-skeptical college football fans.
I think Rutgers makes that statement. Try 41-17.

Patience key for RU’s ‘D’ against Navy
Friday, September 7, 2007

By ADITI KINKHABWALA
STAFF WRITER

<!-- start page_photo_right --><!-- end page_photo_right -->
PISCATAWAY -- Eric Foster knows tonight won't be much fun.
"Oh no it's not fun," he said with a snort.
Foster's already decided his role tonight will be terribly uninteresting.
"My job is kind of boring," the All-American defensive tackle said.
Worst of all, Foster's sure tonight, he and his gut are going to be brawling some.
"I know there are going to be times where I want to tackle somebody I'm not supposed to tackle," Rutgers' captain said, blowing out a big sigh. And then smiling. Because all this moaning means he's absolutely ready for Navy.
The Midshipmen (1-0) come to town tonight with their always-dangerous triple option, the one that aims to deceive linemen, sucking them into making a move they shouldn't, and then wreaking havoc when they do. There's no exploding off the ball, there's a ton of sitting back and being patient, and after four years of this wretched baiting, Foster knows there's one key for he and his linemen -- the more tedious they find the game, the better a night they'll have.
<!-- INFO BOX --><TABLE class=lightcolor cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=4 width=200 align=right valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=lightcolor cellpadding="4">Rutgers vs. Navy <HR>Tonight
7 o' clock
At Rutgers Stadium
ESPN
WOR-AM 710
* * *​
SCARLET KNIGHTS NEWZER <HR>
logo.jpg
Aditi Kinkhabwala blogs the buzz, the chatter, and the news from Rutgers Stadium and the RAC -- and everywhere in between.

arrow_smallright.gif
Visit the blog
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- /INFO BOX -->
"The guy we tackle might not be the guy with the ball, but we have to stick to our guy and our assignment," Foster said. "If it don't get done, it's on us."
Navy's gone from winless in 2001 to its current streak of four straight bowl games in no small part because of that pressure it puts on front fours. Coach Paul Johnson doesn't have skill players on national award watch lists, or big offensive linemen, but his triple option demands exquisite defensive discipline and defenders who do what at Rutgers is famously called their "one-eleventh."
A year ago, the now 15th ranked Scarlet Knights (1-0) managed exactly that in a 34-0 thumping in Annapolis, Md.
They held a Navy team that would finish the season with a 327-yard per game rushing average to just 161 total yards. They shut Navy out for the first time since 2002 and they allowed the Midshipmen just nine first downs.
A year ago, Connecticut and Army both lined up their defenses exactly as Rutgers did, Johnson said, and neither beat Navy. The year before, with Rutgers playing the same defense, Navy scored 21 points up here in Piscataway and turned the ball over twice on top of that. The difference in 2006, the Navy coach said, was Rutgers' unwavering focus. And Ramel Meekins.
The nose tackle from Westwood had a national player of the week game in Annapolis, forcing three fumbles, sacking both quarterbacks Navy used and notching 12 tackles. Hearing the now-graduated captain was at practice earlier this week, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano immediately started craning his head, while Foster said, "I wish Ramel had red-shirted with me so he could be here."
The Scarlet Knights will surely need a Meekins-esque performance out of someone. Rutgers' starting nose tackle out of camp, Pete Tverdov, will miss a second straight game because of his ankle. His replacement, Vantrise Studivant, is still green after having seen just mop-up minutes before last Thursday's first start. Rutgers' other two tackles are true freshmen Alex Silvestro and Justin Francis and Schiano knows none of them have ever seen cut-blockers like the Midshipmen.
"It's such a hard job inside because they're just nipping at you all the time," Schiano said. "People are on your feet, at your knees. This is a nasty game. That's the way Navy likes it. They really try to get you distracted."
And miserable. But then again, the way Foster figures it, being miserably bored won't be all that bad. Not tonight.
E-mail: kinkhabwala@northjersey.com
* * *​
SCOUTING THE SCARLET KNIGHTS
Navy at Rutgers
Kickoff: Tonight, 7 o'clock
TV: ESPN Radio: WOR-AM 710
Series record: 10-10-1
Betting line: Rutgers by 17½
Rutgers report
Navy presents more of a challenge than Buffalo, which No. 15 Rutgers handled, 38-3, in its opener. The Midshipmen's triple option, run-oriented offense will test the patience of the RU defense, especially the new linebackers. Kevin Malast, an outside LB, had a career-high 10 tackles and half a sack against Buffalo in his first start. Offensively, Rutgers has a big size advantage in the matchup of its offensive line versus Navy's defensive front.
Navy report
Has Rutgers finally come up with the answer to beating Navy? After several frustrating matchups, the Scarlet Knights have won the last two games of the series, including last year's shutout, the first of the Middies since 2002. Navy hopes it has an answer, with a ball-control offense and a defense that plays bigger than its size. The longer this game is close, the better chance Navy has of pulling off the upset. A fast start is imperative for the Middies.
Players to watch
What would a Rutgers game be without plenty of helpings of Ray Rice? The junior running back needs 17 yards to overtake Terrell Willis as the leading career rusher in school history. Navy's top players are QB Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada, who ran for 102 yards and passed for 78 in a season-opening 30-19 win over Temple, and RB Shun White, who gained 122 yards on eight carries. Rutgers limited Navy to 113 yards rushing in a 34-0 victory last year in Annapolis.
Prediction : Rutgers 37, Navy 17

For Mids and Knights, Game Began Months Ago

[SIZE=-1]By Christian Swezey
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 7, 2007; E01
[/SIZE]
Rutgers began working on Navy's option-based offense in its preseason camp. The Midshipmen moved senior Antron Harper to center from guard last spring partly with opponents like Rutgers in mind.
The machinations between the Midshipmen (1-0) and the 15th-ranked Scarlet Knights (1-0) began well before tonight's game at Rutgers Stadium.
Rutgers Coach Greg Schiano, a former assistant with Penn State, Miami (Fla.) and the Chicago Bears, is considered a defensive mastermind, and his team allowed 14.3 points per game last year, its fewest since 1980.
Meantime, Navy's offense has led the nation in rushing in three of the past five years. The Midshipmen gained 361 yards rushing in a 30-19 victory over Temple last week. Coach Paul Johnson calls plays without using notes or a script.
"I'm thankful there aren't more on our schedule that do it," Schiano said of facing option teams. "I love the challenge and it is a special week for a defensive coach because it's something different and you get your juices going, but I'd just as soon rather not have to deal with it."
Johnson said Harper was moved to center because his strength and low center of gravity -- he is 5 feet 11, 272 pounds -- make it hard for defensive tackles to push him into the quarterback.
The Scarlet Knights did that quite often in a 34-0 victory over Navy last year; they finished with 11 tackles for a loss and seven sacks.
The key matchup tonight features Harper and guards Ben Gabbard (6-4, 297) and Anthony Gaskins (6-1, 281) against defensive tackles Eric Foster (6-2, 265) and Vantrise Studivant (6-3, 270), who replaces Pete Tverdov, who has a sprained ankle. Like most option teams, Navy's priority is to establish its fullback up the middle. Doing so commits defenders to the middle and possibly opens up the outside running lanes.
Against the Scarlet Knights, it is easier said than done.
Foster is a candidate for the Nagurski (top defensive player), Outland (top interior lineman) and Lott (impact defensive player) awards.
Studivant chose Rutgers over Georgia Tech and Ole Miss in 2005 and was recruited as a tight end-defensive end. He once played in a 2005 Florida all-star game with Navy junior slotback Greg Shinego.
"They're good at relieving pressure by taking on blocks," Harper said of the Rutgers tackles. "They're very good going side-to-side, moving laterally. And it's speed. They get 11 guys to the ball. . . . Nothing goes inside if [the tackles] aren't blocked."
Said Schiano: "It's such a hard job on the inside. People are just nipping at you, and they're always at your feet. It's a nasty game, and that's the way Navy likes it. They really try and get you distracted. They cut-block tremendously."
In the 2003 meeting, Navy fullbacks rushed for 104 yards. Overall, the Midshipmen gained 373 rushing yards and scored 27 points.
In 2004, fullbacks accounted for 166 of 476 rushing yards in a 54-21 victory. The 476 yards is the most Rutgers has given up in Schiano's six-plus seasons.
In 2005 and last year, Rutgers did much better against Navy's fullbacks -- and against the running game in general. Navy fullbacks gained 59 yards on 13 carries in a 31-21 loss in 2005. Navy's 207 rushing yards were its second lowest on the season.
Last year, Navy fullbacks gained 27 yards; the 113 total rushing yards was Navy's lowest since 2002.
"What hurt us last year was giving up sacks when their linebackers blitzed," Gaskins said. "We need to get our eyes where they're supposed to be and know what we're doing.
"We played pretty well against Temple. The speed of the game is going to be different [tonight]. We're going to have to play a lot faster against Rutgers. Temple is good, but it's another notch to get to Rutgers."
Last year's game was not pleasant for Navy. Before a stadium-record homecoming crowd, quarterback Brian Hampton suffered a gruesome season-ending knee injury after being tackled in front of the Navy bench in the first quarter.
Tonight's game is sold out, and a record crowd is possible. When asked if any of that would be intimidating to Navy's players, Harper laughed.
"This is why you play division I football," he said. "It's on ESPN, it's a Friday night, no one else is playing, it's a sold-out stadium. . . . This is my third year playing. I won't be intimidated."

Pulled the trigger on Rutgers, Friday night in New Jersey, should be exciting to watch this offense.

Rutgers -16, GL to all!

Paul Johnson is a great planner, but there is a disparity in talent on the field tonight. Navy will not get to use their running game as they please because Rutgers will jump ahead early, then use Ray Rice to control the clock. Navy will be forced to pass the ball when their forte is running the ball. Also, with teams like Louisville showing poorly, Texas with a tough match-up, and Va Tech losing this weekend (I'm calling it), Rutgers knows that to climb higher than #15, they need a dominant performance.

I'm on Rutgers -15.5 and -16 (1 unit each).

GL bud

Agree with you chip, that's a really good point. If Navy gets behind early they are forced to pass the ball. It's not like they have Kyle Eckel back there anymore running and eating up the clock.

Schiano I'm guessing will try to get on them early and force them to pass the ball more than the middies would like to. If that happens the game could get real ugly, real fast. If the middies can play ball control, they could keep it close at least for a half.

Ended up playing Rutgers at 14.5 on Sunday when the lines came out. If they can do anything like they did last year vs Navy we should be good. 160 total yards against Navy is damn impressive. Hopefully Schianno has figured out how to stop this attack. We then should get a heavy does of Rice which would be great since Navy cant stop anything

I think I might cut outa work a little early, go scalp some tickets and watch this game.. Not sure yet but not a bad idea at all

Where service academies are really weak is in the defensive backfield and with only 3 starters returning for Navy, trading points seems unlikely as they will need to force a few punts/turnovers since Rutgers should be able to control the Navy defense and that might be too tall a task for the Middies tonight.

After a long week, gonna sip some Bud Light, smoke a bowl, and watch this game with a bunch of my brothers. Should be a great time. Anybody else on the side and maybe a total too?

I'm taking rutgers TT Over 33 +105

5 touchdowns, I'll take the odds.

Gonna roll the dice on Navy. Navy played terribly last week and Rutger played great last week. The roles will change tonight and Rutgers will win by 11. Not a big play for me.

I'm on the over ... people are thinking too much about that shutout last year. That was a fluke with the QB injury ... Navy will score 17+ I believe, everyone is back from their offense, 4/5 top rushers return. That's huge for the option. I think Navy covers, but I'm not playing it since Rice is awesome and the passing game's momentum should carry over from last week.

GL to everyone tonight.

Back