Nationals vs Giants Preview Article (Sunday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Forecasting Sunshine for Pitchers in Nats-Giants Finale

The Nats and Giants will try to conclude a three-game series Sunday afternoon despite the possibility of rain and thunder. The Nats are heavy chalk with their ace on the mound, but bettors should play the total.

San Francisco Giants at Washington Nationals

MLB Pick: 1H Under

Max Scherzer (10-1, 1.95 ERA) is an auto-bet for Washington. Despite being heavy chalk, his team is yielding +7.3 units in his starts. In six home starts this season, he has yet to allow over two runs despite averaging over seven innings pitched.

The key for Scherzer has been to make his fastball more effective. It’s his favorite pitch and he throws it with 50% frequency. He’s reduced opposing slugging against it from .445 last season to .243 this season. His success derives mainly from his improved location. He leaves his fastball with two percent less frequency over the heart of the plate, but instead does a better job elevating it. Scherzer’s fastball possesses the 25th highest spin rate compared to over 550 other pitches. High spin rate gives his fastball the appearance of rising action so that batters are more likely to swing under it. So they're deceived by its location, which is more precise this year, in addition to being overwhelmed by its average 94 mph velocity.

Scherzer possesses two high-quality secondary pitches to prevent hitters from sitting on his fastball. Like against his fastball, they’re batting under .171 against his change-up and slider. His fastball is his most frequent pitch with two strikes, but he also utilizes his change-up in this scenario with over 20% frequency. The 10 mph disparity between these two pitches creates a significant velocity differential that keeps batters off-balance—if they expect a fastball, they’ll get frozen by his change-up and if they expect the latter, they’ll get overwhelmed by his fastball. He trusts his slider in all scenarios, which has always been an effective whiff pitch for him, even though it doesn’t have nearly as much horizontal movement as his versatile change-up. He locates it with nearly 50% frequency in the lowest-right square of the strike zone.

In 116 career at-bats, San Fran batters haven’t been able to figure out Scherzer. Their career BA is .190, with only three of their batters hitting above .200, against Scherzer. Their three leading hitters—minus the injured Brandon Belt— are a combined 4-for-21 against him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Derek Holland (3-6, 4.91 ERA) counters for the Giants. Holland relies on a variety of pitches—he throws all five with over 10 percent frequency. This variety allows him to focus on certain pitches depending on who he’s facing. For example, he pitched very well against Arizona even though the Diamondbacks have solid numbers against southpaw pitchers. He did this by throwing his fastball with 41% frequency, which was smart, because Zona ranks below-average in slugging against the fastball thrown by lefties.

The Nats’ numbers against lefties are vastly inflated by facing different guys making their first career start. Against San Diego’s Robbie Erlin, they produced six runs in four innings and they slammed Tampa Bay’s Jonny Venters for five runs in 0.1 innings. Despite this help, the Nats rank 20th in slugging against lefties. Discounting Venters alone, the Nats rank 24th in slugging against lefties. Against Holland’s three favorite pitches, the fastball, sinker, and curveball, the Nats rank 22nd in slugging when they’re thrown by lefties. So Holland, who’s an experienced starter unlike Erlin and Venters, will find the right mixture of pitches which will work against the Nats.

Washington is yielding -7.8 units against lefties. Their lineup is still dealing with important injuries, such as to Daniel Murphy. Even superstar Bryce Harper is only batting .208 against lefties. The „under“ has hit in 63% of their games against southpaws.

Last edited:
In all honesty didn't request to cover this. Scherzer will be way too chalky. Relying on Holland even against a CTG whiffle ball team wouldn't appeal to me either. Think this is the best play though.

Nats lots of runs today. Blach (southpaw starter) 3.1 IP 2 hits 1 ER. He must have left game early for some reason?

Holland has been strong in terms of FIP in 2 of last 3 starts. Too small sample size to really mention it in article (which I had to write super late at night since it's Friday...) but hoping he builds off of that while Nats show some letdown tomorrow after strong outing today.

Just noticed lots of 1-4 run scoring outputs (throughout game) in games started by lefties with the exception of those two relievers making first ever start who obviously stood out, venters and erlin. obviously not ready for the job, totally different mindset to make that transition and start the game

So banking on Scherzer to be Scherzer and need Holland to basically just not shit the bed, no more than 2 runs and should be muy bueno, and that should be very doable as southpaw vs Nats (despite humidity)

1H total at 4, that's good, 3.5 was going to be a bit tougher.

I normally like tailing your plays but I can’t stomach this one either, dammit. GL bud. Zero faith for me in Holland, and as good as max has been if he gives up 1 it’s hard to cash this imo

I normally like tailing your plays but I can’t stomach this one either, dammit. GL bud. Zero faith for me in Holland, and as good as max has been if he gives up 1 it’s hard to cash this imo

Thanks I understand, not happy about covering a game with Holland. It's kind of like...who's worse, Holland or Nats vs lefty...and it's not like he focuses on one pitch that I could see how Nats do against it and it's not like there's anything definitive about his form. But his form is looking good (small sample size) and he has a variety of pitches that could work for him which the Nats are bad against so I don't see a better way here. But yeah I understand...there's no way to say Holland and under in the same sentence with a straight face...altho most of his games have gone under actually. Oddsmakers knew he was crappy long ago and bettors would want to go over with him.
Scherzer, on the contrary, is an over pitcher. But it's his bullpen that tends to send the game over. Hence the 1H play

Thanks I understand, not happy about covering a game with Holland. It's kind of like...who's worse, Holland or Nats vs lefty...and it's not like he focuses on one pitch that I could see how Nats do against it and it's not like there's anything definitive about his form. But his form is looking good (small sample size) and he has a variety of pitches that could work for him which the Nats are bad against so I don't see a better way here. But yeah I understand...there's no way to say Holland and under in the same sentence with a straight face...altho most of his games have gone under actually. Oddsmakers knew he was crappy long ago and bettors would want to go over with him.
Scherzer, on the contrary, is an over pitcher. But it's his bullpen that tends to send the game over. Hence the 1H play

I had Holland agsinst Colorado recently to close out a big parlay and he couldn’t get it done so I’m kind of sour on him. Agreed backing Max is tough bc he’s such a big fav and rightfully so but if he doesn’t go 9 their pen makes me nervous

I had Holland agsinst Colorado recently to close out a big parlay and he couldn’t get it done so I’m kind of sour on him. Agreed backing Max is tough bc he’s such a big fav and rightfully so but if he doesn’t go 9 their pen makes me nervous

Emotion has its place in betting. I wont bet full-game on Nats ever since our experience vs Mets lol

1H bets are generally much better. Less variables. Unless you have a full bullpen mismatch like Brewers Indians

Scherzer (10-1, 1.95 ERA) leads the majors in wins and is third in ERA behind Jacob deGrom and Justin Verlander. He hasn't lost since April 4 and his nine-game winning streak matches the longest of his career. After making a mechanical adjustment, he has allowed just two runs and seven hits in 16 innings during his last two starts.
In a 4-2 win over the Tampa Bay Rays on Tuesday, Scherzer completed an immaculate inning, striking out Johnny Field, Christian Arroyo and Daniel Robertson on nine pitches, the second time he has done it in his career.
He started 25 of the 28 batters he faced with a first-pitch strike. Of the 99 pitches he threw, 81 were strikes.
Left-hander Derek Holland (3-6, 4.91) pitches Sunday for San Francisco. He allowed two runs and four hits in four innings of a no-decision against Arizona the last time out and will be making his first start against the Nationals.
Scherzer is 4-4 with a 4.03 ERA in nine starts versus the Giants. Current Giants are hitting a combined .194 against Scherzer, including Andrew McCutchen's 4-for-24 and Evan Longoria's 2-for-16.

I wonder what my record on weekend games is compared to rest? Friday night I have two article load plus cant see line/total yet. But I basically know wha to expect so shouldnt be an issue really no excuses

Of the two articles I wrote Friday night the one I thought least about hit. Sometimes its best to not overthink and crunch data like crazy. Scherzer and lefty starter is just auto 1h under for me. Wasnt excited about the lefty being Holland but it was an easy win

Back