NASCAR Cup Series at Texas Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NASCAR Cup Series at Texas Top Picks

NASCAR Cup Series: O’Reilly Auto Parts 500
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 3 p.m. ET (NBCSN) at Texas Motor Speedway

Race Info

On Sunday afternoon, the NASCAR Cup Series resumes with the O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 at the Texas Motor Speedway.

This race is so called because, in completing 334 laps, drivers will have accumulated 501 miles.

Sunday’s 334 laps are divided into three Stages. Stage 1 and Stage 2 both require 105 laps. Stage 3 requires 124 laps.

Short Track

The Texas Motor Speedway is designated as a short-track. It is 1.5 miles in length.

So far this season, we have seen drivers perform on a number of different short tracks.

There is no predictive insight that we can derive from viewing how certain drivers perform on short tracks as opposed to on longer tracks.

The variety is actually amazing: every race run on a short track this year has seen a different winner emerge.

My bet — on Kevin Harvick — will accord with this trend as he has yet to win on a short track this year.

More Track Info

Variety among driver performances on short tracks is to be expected because they differ from each other in other respects. Texas is no different.

One different — in a positive sense, I feel — thing about Texas Motor Speedway is that it features a fairly nice amount of banking.

Its first two turns are banked at 20 degrees. Turns 3 and 4 are then banked at 24 degrees. The straightaways are banked at five degrees.

We like banking because steeper banking encourages greater speed on the track. And if you don’t like speed, you are into the wrong sport!

Starting Lineup

Granted, one reduction in speed may come to pass as a result of a further sense in which Texas Motor Speedway is small.

This track is known for being narrow as drivers have launched relatively hefty complains about the difficulty of passing other drivers in Texas.

So, this is a racing event where, as a bettor, you want to know starting position in advance.

You do not want to bet on a driver who has simply lucked out by having to start more towards the back.

Instead, you want to look to back drivers who are starting out closer to the front.

Starting lineup has already been determined.

As has been the case since the season restarted, there was no qualifying done to determine the starting order.

Positions were divided from 1-12, 13-24, and 25-36 based on team owner points. Then, random draws were accomplished. Spots 37-40 were filled out in order of owner points.

My guy, Harvick, will start 5th, which I consider to be very propitious.

Track History

While his starting position is certainly a supportive facet, the main reason why I like Harvick is his positive history at Texas Motor Speedway.

He did put forth one recent poor performance at this track in March of 2019.

In that exception, he started 23rd, which only reinforces what I mean about the importance of having a strong starting position in Texas.

If you exclude that one exception, Harvick has finished first or second in Texas in his last four attempts there.

Harvick won in 2019, 2018, and 2017. In a second venture at Texas in 2018, he finished second.

Clearly, Harvick knows how to thrive at Texas Motor Speedway.

Personal Form

Another major reason why I like Harvick is that he exhibits solid driving form.

In four of his last five NASCAR Cup Series efforts, he has finished top-three.

In the one exception, he finished fourth. That exception came in Kentucky where he has not driven relatively well in recent attempts.

But Texas has, since 2017, been his best track by average finishing position.

The Verdict

Harvick has an interesting trend in his favor as he has yet to win on a short track this year.

Importantly, he is starting in the top 5.

We can certainly rely on him given how consistently solid he’s been both in recent races overall and at Texas.

If you’re in search of a larger payout, he is unequivocally the guy you want to pick to win.

For my favorite pick, I will wager on a top-three finish.

Best Bet: Kevin Harvick Top 3 Finish (-125) with BetOnline

Back