My South Carolina Spring Report

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
I will be updating this weekly, my apt complex is within walking distance of the practice field so I can go up there and watch whenever. My main goal here is to be able to know this team inside out. I was a student here for four yrs, graduating in May but I am more comfortable with this team than any other in the Nation. I did not bet them every game this yr because I let my heart get in the way a few times but since I will be back in Jersey there is no emotional attachment. Like how Hawaii-guy has helped us, I hope I can contribute the same so that we can all cash in on the gamecocks, win or lose.. Just cover the spread

Spring Game: April 14th

First let me start by saying that I think this team will have value this yr because they will not be favored against most of the SEC however they are going to surprise a lot of people this yr, unbiased opinion. Arkansas crept up on the SEC last yr, I think SC will do it this yr. This team is deep and returns about 19+ starters and key players from last yr along w/ a few players back from injuries and suspensions that missed 2006..

Question Marks Going into Spring:

O-Line: The team is deeper here than last yr and there will be a lot of competition to fill the open spots (3). The biggest loss is @ center, a player who started more than 30games for the Gamecocks. Carolina returns its top 4 offensive tackles from last yr. The real question is @ guard where this will be a lot of mixing and matching to find the right combo. The last 5 games of the yr the same 0-line started and did fairly well. Justin Sorenson, a right tackle who is in a heated battle for his position, held Gaines Adams to 0 sacks in the game played in Novem. I think last yr SC had 7 O-Linemen to choose from, this yr they have 13, a few who have redshirted and have put on the neccessary size. A problem hindering SC in the opening weeks of past seasons has been the lack of consistency of the O-Line.

WR: Five of the teams top 6 receivers return to the team however Sidney Rice is gone. Who will replace his 1000yds? A combo of guys. Jared Cook is a player to watch for this spring. He could emerge as a very lethal #1 threat @ 6'5 - 240lbs. During winter testing its said that he ran the fastest 40 time at 4.37 and had a vertical leap of 40inches. Sidney Rice was quoted as saying that Cook was the most talented WR on the team. I think he was being modest but it says a lot. Those are just freakish numbers and while I don't think he ran a 4.37, anything under 4.5 is going to be a favorable matchup for the Gamecocks. The problem w/ Cook is the Auburn game which simply destroyed his confidence. Cook dropped a wide open TD to tie the game late in the 4th quater, the same play that he previously scored a touchdown on in that game and never recovered. Coaches say that his confidence was shot and he never performed the same in practice. Cook switched between TE and WR last yr but now the focus will be just on WR. This yr he will be counted on to stepup as a RS-Soph. The other interesting WR is Juco Larry Freeman who led his team to the JC championship. He is a very strong receiver @ 6'2 210 who can go over the middle. He caught everything in practice today. Kenny McKinnely, the returning leading receiver will be counted on as a solid #2. The nations #1 recruiting class @ WR will arrive in August and there will be a lot of competition. Overall I am not concerned w/ this position.

DB's: This was an area that cost the Gamecocks a few games this past yr. SC returns 2 of its top 3 DB's. Captain Munnerlyn started all yr a true frosh and did a pretty decent job, he is the fastest gameock w/ a 4.35... Carlos Thomas will be pretty key this spring. Thomas is one of the fastest Gamecocks and is a 2yr starter. Last yr Thomas was moved to DB where he struggled and than began to get a feel for things towards the end of the yr. Thomas's frosh yr he was knocked unconscious and couldn't feel anything for a few moments, an injury that damaged his pych last yr. He was in position to make great stops and you can tell he knew but what he was doing but that fear of being hit like that again pulled him away from contact a few times. Thomas is reported to be 15lbs heavier now but I will take 10 or so. Both played all yr because Fred Bennet had to battle injuries. One of them will lose their spot in August when JUCO transfer Sam Pope arrives. Brandon Issac returns to the Gamecocks after missing all of 2006 w/ a shoulder injury. It is also said that during Pro Day last yr he impressed scouts more than departed CB Fred Bennet did but injuries have kept him off the field. Issac returns for his senior season w/ a healthy shoulder, atleast they say. Emanuel Cook is manning the other saftey spot right now, he started 10 games last yr, was hurt for 3 and was recognized for his strong play.This is another position which will see intense competition come August.

Strengths Going into Spring:

RB: The Gamecocks will be strong here with one of the top 1-2 punches in the SEC. Cory Boyd (1200total yds) will look to finish his career at Carolina in a big way. He is a threat out of the backfield to catch the ball and is a powerful runner between the tackles. Mike Davis has seen his share of time each of the last 2 yrs and will also be counted on to shoulder some of the load. Davis has come on in the 2nd half of the season both yrs of his career but will be needed to come out in the 1st half of the season this yr.

DL: This is the deepest D-Line Carolina has had since joining the SEC. Carolina returns everyone @ this position including Marquee Hall, SC's best D-linemen who was injured in the UGA game last yr and never came back. There will be a ton of depth here and this might be the deepest and strongest position Carolina has. Juco transfers, redshirts, and returning starters are all going to battle here.

LB: SC will be very strong at this position as well and it will go a long way to stopping the run. SC returns prob the best LB in the SEC, Jasper Brinkley @ MLB. Jasper will be joined by his twin brother who led the team in sacks last yr @ DE. Outside LB is said to be Casper Brinkley's natural position and he is rumored to be more athletic than Jasper. Both stand around 6'3 260. SC will welcome its 3rd leading tackler back from 2005 back this yr, Dustin Lindsey was suspended for all of 2006. He is also a monster at 6'3 250. SC has depth at this position as several players who started during the course of last yr will be backups this yr.

Very long post but I hope to be able to go 9-2 or better on SC against the spread this yr. I think they will have a game or so that won't be available like SC State..

This is Spurrier's best team since arriving in Carolina, the work ethic of the team has changed and the players are believing that they can win. SC was a team who suffered some unfortunate losses at key positions, suffered from inexperience, had no real Senior Leadership, and had the ball bounce against them a few times.

Look, I am not predicting National Championship by any means but this will not be your typical SCarolina team in 2007. They will def win 9 games and 10-2 is not out of this realm. They will sneak up on a few teams this yr.

Last edited:
Have been able to catch a few practices..

The D-Line is very deep and very talented. There are too many players for too little positions and they are wrecking havoc on the offense and the D's best linemen is being held out of practice recovering from injury.

The Brinkley Twins are going to be pretty damn good at LB

Jared Cook needs to build his confidence and Spurrier and Co. have done an excellent job so far trying to do that. Cook has made quite a few spectacular catches and is also catching the balls he should be..

Juco Larry Freeman also has made a very nice transition and has worked with the first team all spring

Cory Boyd and Mike Davis, USC rb combo have both seen limited action this spring. Boyd is nursing a sore hamstring and Davis had some kind of small surgery..

The offensive line is going to be a process but it is far better shape at this point of the season than last yr. There are a lot more talented players available for the positions but this will be something that will take all summer to work out..

Brandon Issac has looked great at Saftey, if he can stay healthy and play in 2007, the DB's for USC just upgraded.

Spurrier is talking with a little bit of confidence, the players are pretty united, and there is some senior leadership.

Both the O-Line and D-Line are the best Spurrier has had since arriving at Carolina.

Good stuff Green. The 3rd year is when everything is suppose to kick in to gear for coaches. Mitchell should only get better, but who will be the backup? Smelley? You know sooner or later Spurrier will look to yank Mitchell. I don't think Rice will be too big of a loss, I actually believe Newton will be a bigger loss than Rice. Sounds like the defense will be the strength of the team, which is strange with Spurrier. Nix is good DC and it never hurts to have a strong defense in the SEC, especially with all the good coaches in the league. Definitely an under the radar team in the SEC this year. I don't see why they couldn't win the East. Florida with a new QB, I'm still not sold on Stafford at Georgia, Ainge has no one to throw to yet, Kentucky could be tough. Even though I'm not sold on LSU, but that will be a tough game at LSU. I think Arkansas will be down this year, they've lost alot on defense. If Mitchell at least plays like Doug Johnson, I think SC could be really tough in the SEC and make it to the title game. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Good stuff Green. The 3rd year is when everything is suppose to kick in to gear for coaches. Mitchell should only get better, but who will be the backup? Smelley? You know sooner or later Spurrier will look to yank Mitchell. I don't think Rice will be too big of a loss, I actually believe Newton will be a bigger loss than Rice. Sounds like the defense will be the strength of the team, which is strange with Spurrier. Nix is good DC and it never hurts to have a strong defense in the SEC, especially with all the good coaches in the league. Definitely an under the radar team in the SEC this year. I don't see why they couldn't win the East. Florida with a new QB, I'm still not sold on Stafford at Georgia, Ainge has no one to throw to yet, Kentucky could be tough. Even though I'm not sold on LSU, but that will be a tough game at LSU. I think Arkansas will be down this year, they've lost alot on defense. If Mitchell at least plays like Doug Johnson, I think SC could be really tough in the SEC and make it to the title game. Good luck and keep up the good work.

You pretty much read my mind on everything said there.. Great Stuff really.

The QB's are getting ripped apart in practice, the battle for #2 will go on all summer. Garcia would have had his shot at it if he didn't do some bonehead things. He threw after practice 1 day, has a better arm than all of them.

Newton was so versatile and really did anything we asked, he will be missed. He didn't produce nearly in 06' like he did in 05' but his leadership and ability to just be thrown anywhere on the filed helped the Gamecocks.

Spurrier is starting to talk about winning the East, I think he believes this team can.

Cory Boyd and a few other Seniors have stepped up to really lead this group.

It will be interesting in the East and I am considering playing a future on the Gamecocks at 5/1 to win it, I think thats as much value as they get.

The amount of people returning from injuries and everything else is significant, there will be atleast 4 starters on this yr's team who missed last yr because of injuries or other problems.

I havent been able to make as many practices as I had wanted to but I got rivals insider so I am pretty up to date w/ this team. Will have a much better grasp after the spring game and some position battles get settled for summer..

Again, Great thoughts Trainwreck.. I agree with everything said

pags, no doubt..

Spring Game is Saturday, will have a full report and few thoughts for the conclusion of Spring..

Found this on cfn.scout.com, Pretty much spot on..

Spring Practice Begins: March 20 Game: April 14
The early spring buzz ... After two years of mild success, and not enough consistent offense for all the yards cranked out, this is the year Steve Spurrier might have the team Gamecock fans have been waiting for. No, the team isn't as good as it's going to be once this year's phenomenal recruiting class kicks in, but after going 8-5 with skin-of-their-teeth losses to Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas and Florida by seven points or fewer, it might not take too much extra to win the SEC East.

The big spring question is ...
Will all the returning defensive talent turn into production? Sacks won't be a problem, the secondary will turn out to be fine, and the run defense should be better with all seven starters returning to the defensive front. Now the defense has to give up fewer yards even if it means taking fewer chances. The scheme has been all about attacking and getting into the backfield with good results in a bend-but-don't-break style, but now the D has the potential to be dominant if everything goes right.
The most important position to watch is ... Offensive lineman. Even with the early departure of Sidney Rice, the skill players are in place to do what Spurrier wants. Now the line has to play well. The tackles should be fine, but the interior will be the issue losing center Chris White and guard Thomas Coleman and Seth Edwards. If all goes according to plan, James Thompson should step into one of the guard spots and provide some nice bulk, but either the coaching staff will have to rely on some newcomers, or there will be a drop-off in overall size.
Spring attitude... Come close to winning the East. There's just enough top talent returning on offense to complement a defense that gets nine starters back led by, arguably, the division's best linebacking corps, but the schedule might be too tough. Four league road games at Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and Arkansas are too brutal for a team that's not national-title level to get through unscathed. If USC can win two of the four, beat Florida at home in the SEC regular season finale, and not screw up at home against teams like Kentucky and Vanderbilt, things could get interesting.

Also, a comment on the QB's from Spurrier..

"Blake was, by far, the best in the last scrimmage," Spurrier said. "But they've all done a few good things here and there. It's a long summer. I told Chris Smelley that if he'll throw about 400 of those cover two fade routes this summer, he might be able to hit one when the season starts. But if he doesn't, he'll never hit one. You have to practice those throws. We'll give them a plan what to do during the summer and hopefully they'll go do it."

:36_11_6: :smiley_acbe:

Pags - I agree, I love what Boyd brings. He had 1200total yds last yr and I think he racks up more this yr and over 1000 rushing. Spurrier will lean hard on him if the OLine and Blake are not ready to play.

Here is a cliff notes version of important stuff from SC spring..

• Dustin Lindsey, 3rd leading Tackler in 05 who was suspended for the 06' season was likely going to earn a starting position at LB this yr before injuring his knee in the Spring game. Word from him is that he is very determined to get back on the field again since he can not use a Medical RS, this is his last yr to play with his twin brother, and he hasn't played since 05. I would think he makes it back somewhere in the 3rd or 4th week. SC has depth at LB so they won't rush him back either. Nonetheless, I am sad for the kid as he is a hard nosed player.
  • Blake looked terrible in the spring game, there is no way to sugarcoat it at all. 13-39 is awful when you are a 5th yr Senior.
  • Cory Boyd continues to dominate with just limited carries in the spring game, he does not go down on the first tackle.
  • The D-Line is very deep and talented.
  • The Secondary is going to be better than expected
  • The OLine still remains as the Biggest question mark heading into Summer.

Great report all spring ETTG. I wouldn't worry too much about Blake having a bad spring game. It's just a public practice. Plenty of room for improvement. Especially if SC has that strong of a defense. It's weird seeing these SC Spurrier teams being so good on defense. If SC wins the East this year with this strong of a defense Nix will be gone to a non-BCS school or Miss St as a head coach. The offense should have a great running game if the OL comes around. I admit Boyd is versatile, but I'm a big Mike Davis fan. He seems more solid and reliable to me IMO. Good Luck this year. Once again this is the team to watch out for in the SEC IMO.

good stuff on lindsey...keep it coming everythingisgreen...

Linebacker Dustin Lindsey, a junior from Mobile, Ala., underwent successful surgery Tuesday morning at Palmetto Richland Memorial Hospital in Columbia to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, Bill Lindsey, Dustin's father, said.

Dr. Jeff Guy, USC's team physician, performed the two-hour procedure. Guy told Lindsey he should be able to return to action by the return by the middle of September.

"(Dr. Guy) said the surgery went great and said with Dusty's size and strength and his work ethic, he's looking at 4-1/2 months (for Lindsey to return)," Bill Lindsey said.

But Bill Lindsey feels Dustin could return before then. He intends to begin his rehabilitation within a few days.

"He'll work hard enough, so if his leg cooperates, he'll be fine," Bill Lindsey said. "He's in good spirits today. He told me he wants to start his rehab Saturday. He wants to begin as quickly as possible. He told me his goal is to be ready by the first game. We'll have to see."

Lindsey was scheduled to remain at Palmetto Richland Hospital overnight.

His father does not believe the surgery will affect his son's preparation for final exams, which begin next week.

"Dustin has been doing a lot of school work trying to get prepared for the surgery," Bill Lindsey said. "He'll be able to go ahead and take his finals like he's supposed to. I think everything will be fine."

Bill Lindsey said one of the motivations for Dustin to return as quickly as possible was the high expectations the Gamecocks have for next season.

"They're excited about this coming season," Lindsey said. "Not because Jordin's a senior but because they think (USC) has a chance to do something special. We spoke about that this weekend. That's all they've been talking about for three days."

Back