My Pick to Win the 2014 World Cup

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
I think most people are kind of just predicting that Brazil vs Spain in the final is almost an automatic.

Here are just some teams I thought about

Brazil +310 - Not an unfair price at all and totally deserved. I always kind of question whether at such a low price is someone even worth it, especially since this is just a month long event and Brazil should easily walk through there group. As I mentioned in the discussion thread, I think the pressure of it being a must win is going to hurt this team in some way. I think the majority of Brazil is expecting a win for this team. Really digging deep here but the expectation in the 1950 World Cup that was also in Brazil where similar, and Brazil did not win.

Argentina +460 - I was pretty close to taking these guys, and they without a doubt have the talent, but the million dollar question is, will Messi show up? He played well in the qualifying rounds, but I don't believe hes yet to show that he can play like he does in Barcelona on the international stage.

Spain +630 - This team is on a great run, with 08,12 Euro wins and a 10 World Cup win. They have an incredible midfield, but I think a glaring weakness on this team is a lack of striker. Qualifying didn't help bolster that case either. I think at the end of the day, a lack of offense at times might hurt this team

Belgium +2050 - I think this is everyone's dark horse favorite, I'm even surprised that the line is so big (Benteke) with how many people love this team (I'm one of them). I think this team is full of amazing young talent, and I think that youth and inexperience is going to hurt them.
My Pick: Germany +630

I think I am not as confident about this pick as I would have been last month when I pretty much made my decision. Most of the German team is on Bayern Munich, who finished pretty terribly to end the season. Some injury and manager concerns. If this team gets it together however, like they should, Brazil should be the only team that stands in the way for this team to win the World Cup.​

Last edited:
TM - I will be cheering for them as you know! But no, my expectations are for them to get out of the groups and that's about it
GL Mcdrew
Braves - None
Hunt - Pretty sure that teed had a pretty good post on how thats a pretty overhyped stat

love the pick

they are in my top 3 for the tournament and I like the value, top to bottom most talented team there is IMO

GL man. I think you can really go with 4 top teams here unless you are feeling super confident. Didn't know you even liked soccer.

I don't except for WC..best thing ever imo. I been capping for a few weeks and watching the friendlies. I decided to give it a shot. Nowhere near on you other people's level on knowledge of game or betting..hell I had to find out what -1, and -1.5 meant a few weeks ago for a bet. I do like Belgium at that cheap price to come out of group and French as well.

time to get some thoughts!

Hedge or no hedge

[TABLE="class: lines"]
[TR="class: linesRowBot, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesSubHeader, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[TD="colspan: 8"]World Cup 2014 - Germany vs Argentina - winner[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesCommentsRow, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[TD="colspan: 8"]extratime and shootouts included[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesRow, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[TD]Sun 7/13[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]4 Germany wins World Cup[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]-140 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesRowBot, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[TD]4:00PM[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]5 Argentina wins World Cup[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]+125

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

If I had your bet, my pov would be Argentina's offense hasn't shown me enough to justify hedging. The Dutch tactics were not to lose (3 shots on goal through regulation & extra-time is pathetic), so the Argy defense was never asked to try & curtail their SF opponent really coming at them. Other than the Dutch attack, they've faced no real offensive threats (their other 5 opponents collectively averaged just 1.23 reg. gpg vs. all other teams). So their one impressive aspect on paper - defense - is something I'm just not convinced is as good as advertised. I didn't see their QF game, but I saw a highlight where the Belgians butchered a chance inside the 6 yard box when down 1-0. Argentina's defense wasn't responsible for escaping that match with a win in regulation, Belgian offensive incompetence was (match stats say they had 4 shots on goal, an effort barely better than the Dutch one). Of course Germany might suddenly get negative and play not to lose as well (I immediately think of their ugly & boring 1990 final win, against none other than Argentina). I don't believe it, but if they do then they'll deserve everything that follows.

(stat now in proper thread)

Last edited:
hedge and win with hunt lmao...although i did have about 4 other teams too.

Well let me just make it clear that I feel pretty good about Germany winning the World Cup. There really hasn't been one game that Argentina impressed me. That being said, Argentina can certainly pull it off. I think Di Maria playing or not is pretty big. It's really a matter of being safe and getting profit no matter what, or rolling the dice. Rolling the dice has back fired more then a few times over the years :bomb:

Since you can hedge at even or plus money, I would do it, just my opinion.

Im in opposite position with Argentina.

Wouldn't hedge anymore than your original wager on Germany so you can break even. At some point in our lives the bet itself is worth wayyyyy more than the $$$. This being the World Cup final makes this intensify infinitely. Don't take the fun out of the match.

let your $50 ride.... come on bro, you've got the favorites at a great number

You're bet is strongly looking good! I've predicted a Germany-Argentina final before the tournament has ever started.

I've reeled on Argentina to win though. Bound by the fact that no European have ever won in Latin America soil. However, this World Cup has already broken a lot record... with Mueller followed by the heavy thrashing of Germany over Brazil.

Back