My .02 on Tennessee tonight.

hile75

CTG's ambassador of sexy
Last I checked this line was Tenn -7.5

Tenn struggled on the road last year, losing 3 regular season games on the road (Cal, Florida, Bama - none of which they were really 'in' late), and they lost the SEC title game which is not played at Neyland either. UCLA has, however, won 5 of its last 6 in the Rose Bowl against ranked opponents.

Tennessee this year is unveiling a new QB in Crompton. If he plays nearly up to his potential, Tenn is looking at a lot of wins this year. I liked this kid better than Ainge last year, but clearly that was never gonna happen. And to be honest, theres no fuckin excuses Crompton can make this year. The Vols return all 5 O-Linemen that allowed ONLY 4 SACKS ALL LAST YEAR. Also returning are 3 senior WR's (Lucas Taylor being the most known) and a great SEC running back in Arian Foster. This team will go as well as Crompton will lead them.

On D, the Vols really need to improve. Teams were really able to run the ball successfully whenever they needed to last year. This should be much mproved this year, although not a 'great' D just yet. DE Robert Ayers should be a menace to most tackles he faces, but the LB core (with the exception being Rico McCoy) is very very inexperienced. If Demetrius Morley could ever get his act together, Tenn would have the best set of safetys in football, period. Eric Berry is a star and I would be stunned if he played another year after this one. A key for this year will be simply eliminating those big plays that took the Vols out of games.

As for tonight, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but third string QB Kevin Craft is going to start tonight. I know Cowan and Olson have been hurt, but I thought I heard that one of them might be trying to go tonight. Either way, this is a team with a new coach, new OC and battling a little bit of injury. UCLA seems to be projected to finish 4-5th in the Pac-10 this year.

I don't claim to know a ton about UCLA, and I personally am not playing this game. If I were, I like Tennessee. I'm not saying that the Vols are the best in the SEC, but if Crompton plays well, this team is gonna do very very well. If this game were in Tennessee, I'd take the Vols up to minus-20 and not sweat, but the long road trip is something to be concerned about. Look for a lot of Arian Foster early and maybe a close game at halftime until Fulmer gets Crompton comfortable, then they playbook might open up and the spread be covered. I'd say Tennessee wins between 10-17 tonight.

GL however you fellas go tonight

Last edited:
Let's start by saying that this isn't exactly a home game for UCLA. It is being played in the Rose Bowl.

You do know that the Rose Bowl IS the Bruins homefield??? Granted, there will be a lot of Tennessee fans there.

Think UCLA's chance at moving the ball lies in the running game. 3rd string QBs and weak OLs are never good signs especially since the kid started at SDST as the 3rd stringer.....:cheers:Think Tenny wins by 10 even if it plays a sloppy game like CU yesterday but havent played anything yet

i like tenny too. craft is a huge unknown, but i was thinking how pitt had to be the most overhyped team in the early season and then i thought, at least they didn't put up a billboard announcing their arrival. if neuhisel has a 3rd string juco qb and a new oline ready for sec speed in his first game, i'm very impressed and he is the early favorite for coach of the year.

Agree, Tenn. has upgraded the QB position in '08. Perfect storm having veteran o-line to help the transition.. Tenn could be a monster TY IMO

Quick question

Historically how do most first year head coaches do in there season openers?

Back